BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  16
Author: Subject: Cultural differances, ain't they fun!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 03:14 PM

CYPRESS - you're funny -- like it, those remarks thrown in, so we won't forget to have laugh in between.:biggrin:

HEY fdt did you stop counting?? OKAY I'll take over- 229 posts/8th day, still deceent discussion, whow what a success YOUFLYFISH !!! AND still enjoying it!:bounce:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 03:33 PM

I think the U.S. is losing it's Anglo culture because we are no longer using the English language to its best effect. If culture were a fruit, I say language would be the skin; the first thing we encounter in a people. I've been applauding the dialectic from afar. It's great exercize for the brain -- we have to read a point of view, decide how we feel about it, type our thoughts in the kind of English we believe will be understood and make our point -- the difference between reading and discussing an English lit classic and talking about cartoons. We need the cartoon talk to keep our sanity, the English works/art/drama to keep what little culture we have, apart from the TUBE, alive. Bravo (or more apt Olé).
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 03:47 PM

Good point, Osprey, I like the skin analogy.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
All these deep thoughts are making me look for a personal flotation device.:bounce:;D;)

Cypress-
I think we are all treading water here. Glad you could jump in.
Just don't anybody flush. I don't want make that circular decent . Everybody is wonderfully keeping their heads above water.:o
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 04:40 PM

ftd- Don't forget Jesse in La Paz....Restaurante Las Tres Virgines.:D
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 04:49 PM

Osprey-
Life: blah blah blah blah and then we die. But you sure wrap it in a beautiful, lyrical package!:spingrin:

Sometimes I get a skin rash .:(
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 05:30 PM

Osprey,

So the zenith of the English Language and hence Anglo Culture would have happened during the time of Shakespeare and it’s all down hill from there? It has been reported that fewer and fewer words are being used in English even though it is now considered the universal language.

Sic transit gloria mundi? Thus passes the glory of the world?

Are the languages of Mexico being lost also?

Sometimes a lyrical package, sometime skin rash. I like that. They say that the lotus grows out of the mud. I like that too.

Iflyfish
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 05:40 PM

Tocqueville wrote about democracy and when he applied it to America, he wasn't a big fan of it. That was clear in what he wrote which I'm sure you are all aware of.

IFF ---- Sure, we have culture and "a culture". But, we weren't born with an identifiable American culture. Our culture base is what was brought to America, through the gates of Ellis Island.

Please Please Please........ If you want to allude to our cultural Icons, try not to include Big Macs or Madonna. That's smarmy entertainment.
Mexico has drug cartels but they also have Placido Domingo and Cuco Sanchez, both, icons of their culture, as they should be.
We have Frank Sinatra and Linda Rondstadt. Would you equate their contribution to a Big Mac? I hope not.

The produce of big business in The U.S. isnt representitive of our culture. The value of their generated business may be admirable but, it isnt what we should consider a "fine' part of our culture.

IFF.... Im starting to disagree with you on basic premisses and Im glad we arn't in a bar.

I do respect your opinions none the less.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 05:43 PM

This is Baja.
Car problems grow out of the mud.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 05:58 PM
Lost Languages

The more lost those languages become, the better. The more people speak English, Priceless.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 06:06 PM

Ah Bill -----
Your worldly mind is a treasure
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 06:16 PM
Tune in at 6PM PST and I will have a few more cultural differences

USA 12 days of Christmas, México 9 days of Posadas. Virgen de Guadalupe celebrations and others.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 06:24 PM
Worldly

That's Me. Looking forward to the day when every Country is just another bunch of American towns. Same language, same Food. That's Culture.

Sounds good to me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 06:39 PM

Interesting thought, Bill-------
Three million square miles of Boston, or is it Bawston.......
English within English. Hmm.....
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 07:57 PM
Well, here I am, another female

Wow! this thread has certainly taken a wandering course. First off, I agree, no I wouldn't want our culture defined by big macs, nor would I want it defined by Frank Sinatra. He was a thug with a mother whos mouth would make a longshoreman blush. Ok, so he could sing a bit. Big deal, his lifestyle and how he treated people sure as heck don't represent ME! I am so exhausted tonight, but I do have plenty of thoughts on this subject, just to tired to get into it all now. In short, OF COURSE there are differences. If your mind is open, thats the beauty of it. I don't like bullfights, c-ckfights, bloodsports etc, but that is a Mexican thing and who am I to judge? I go to Baja to experience the family that doesn't have a pot to pee in, yet will still make sure I have a handfull of tortillas or tomatoes from their garden to take with me. I have more, but latter, good night yall.
M
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 08:06 PM

See you tomorrow M. In the meantime, dont be so mean to Ol' Blue Eyes. He isn't an icon for who he was but, for how he spoon fed a song and served a fantasy in a time when it was needed.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
That's Me. Looking forward to the day when every Country is just another bunch of American towns. Same language, same Food. That's Culture.

Sounds good to me.

And that's why you live in Mexico;D
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 08:10 PM

Rancho Percebu --- The heart of America
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 09:57 PM

May I suggest Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington as the premier icons of North American culture? They represented our only original art form. Currently there are so many jazz greats. Trumpeter, Wynton Marsalis is the consummate player, composer and teacher now carrying on the tradition.

Regarding Frank Sinatra, I met him on several occasions. In public, when he wasn't performing, he was often rude. I private he wouldn't give me the time of day. In spite of that, he was a musician's musician. He had the perfect voice for 20th Century popular song, the lyrical inflection, the interpretation of a song and the style to set him apart. On stage he always gave tribute to the song; the music as the really great presence. He was merely giving the music his own delivery.

Tony Bennett, although completely different than Sinatra, is another great song stylist. He endures through the decades and his popularity spans generations. Even the kids who pay attention to great music like him.

Some Mexican greats that I am aware of: Augustine Lara, a composer of great songs that still are revered today. He was in the same league as Richard Arlen and George Gershwin. Pedro Infante and actor/comedian Cantinflas were also popular icons.
And of course, there was the painter/muralist Diego Rivera and his wife Frieda Khalo. I would like to hear more about Mexican performers and artists that helped shape contemporary Mexican culture.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 10:28 PM

Or, perhaps a blend of cultures as Mexico through the eye of the great American photographer, Edward Weston.
Toneart, you open a new field to explore. But, tomorrow, for me.

Hasta Mañana.
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  16

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.