Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:01 AM
JIMENA _ EAST CAPE

Maybe it would be useful for Nomads to find reports by area of particular interest(I AM CONCERNED about all of Baja); my Palapa is in Los Barriles and I can't get down till next week... I would be very interested in what is happening/what does happen in the East Cape area.... anybody there that can report???
jls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:06 AM

High tides are at 9 a.m. and 8:30 p.m today and tomorrow for Mag Bay??? Am I right about that? This is a tremendous worry what with all the flooding and the sea surge that will be coinciding with the high tides. Could make for a 10 + sea? Anyone out there knowledgeable on the tides and the expected surge with this hurricane?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos
Cerritos Beach Club buttoned up - nobody on the beach, nobody in the water. Calm, overcast, sprinkling. Wave sets coming in faster than normal but not very large. Photo taken at 7:40 am 09/01/09.

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]
I don't know if you know anyone at the surf club but if you do you might want to let them know that the area where they have their generators has been under water numerous times. I would just hate to see their diesel fuel pollute the beach.
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:15 AM

9 AM it started to rain hard in La Paz. Still little or no wind.
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:22 AM

Till now Jimena looks following the path of Juliette that was cat 4 when presented Southwest of Cabo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Juliette_(2001)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:23 AM

storm surge, high tide and rain will be the problem no doubt those places will be in water and waves destroy things very quickly.

the wind will hit all of a sudden...you will be amazed...then it is hell till you are in the eye when all is calm and really really weird...you can breath a bit then WHAM...wind hits you from another direction.

my memories of being in a hurricaine are vivid and sure hope I dont have to relive it again.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
HaciendaCerritos
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:24 AM

Wind has definitely picked up here. Waves are larger and the waterline is rising. 2 surfers having a blast out there.

About the Beach Club: Not sure if anyone is there, haven't seen anyone so far today. I'll watch for somebody down there.

There is a huge mass of rain moving towards us from the mountains - moving fast.

Be safe everyone.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:26 AM

problem is people may not be able to get out even if they want to once that rain starts...look forward to your reporting hacienda...thanks

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:27 AM

Raining heavy in La Paz, seems the thing is steering out, watch out our Mulege and Asuncion.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:30 AM

this mornings news of Jimena going west northwest made the executive decision easier this morning to get things boarded up...when John was tracking up here....we just sat and watched and werent really ready...he veered over and we got like an hour of rain and 40 knots of wind...this is why many are complacent here...but we are in high gear right now in preparation.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aldosalato
Till now Jimena looks following the path of Juliette that was cat 4 when presented Southwest of Cabo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Juliette_(2001)
During Juliette we measured over 20" of rain in 12 hours just east of Pescadero.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:53 AM

Just back from the beach. The police are there trying to keep people off the beach as there is much erosion. Very angry surf. The kiddie park has, once again, been washed into the parking lot by the fishing palapas
Wind out of the east, which tells me that we are at the top of the storm right now. Not too strong maybe 10mph.
Aldo, you are right about Juliette. It looks like the same path and strength. We were not here(we were in Costa Rica and got stuck in Mex City) and it took us almost a week to get back because the airport was closed. When we did get back, we had to wade with all of our neighbors across an angry San Jose River. The road was closed for almost 2 weeks.
Oh! the road is still open right now. The bridge workers are putting all of their prefab parts up on the bridge. There is no doubt that both ends will wash out as they are just dirt.
Starting to rain a lot right now.
Stay safe everyone!
WOW Jim just got a text message from Telmex about Jimena! I remember one storm when we depended on the port captain from San Lucas on VHF radio for our storm information...times have surely changed.

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 08:57 AM

A friend of mine whose husband works for CFE says 300 are due to arrive from Sinaloa this morning to help restore the anticipated power outages as soon as possible. As you whippersnappers would say, "Cool".
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:00 AM

good info bajajudy and thanks for your previous suggestions. it is interesting to hear about your experiences before all this technology.

haciendacerritos are you still online? am i correct that unless the telcel pole up on top of that hill falls over you will be able to access internet?

pacside
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:05 AM

Recent modeling shows it hugging the coast and heading for the hook. Hugging the coast like that is the worst thing that could happen.

Weather underground link

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by Taco de Baja]

Jimena 2009.JPG - 48kB

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:13 AM
My best wishes

to all of you and those you love in the storm track. May you all be safe.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:15 AM

Take this advice from a guy who grew up in Southern Florida... if this storm is a Cat 3 or above when it comes ashore... evacuate. A 4 or 5 is absolutely devestating! Particularly close to the shorelines.

Stay safe amigos!

Bob H
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:16 AM

Looks like La Paz and Loreto will be spared the brunt of the wind. Hope the same goes for Mulege. Landfall is now projected south of GN. Shari and company, hang on to your hats. Looks like you're in for it. Stay safe and the hell with property.

http://www.stormpulse.com/pacific/fullscreen/current

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
HaciendaCerritos
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:18 AM

Yea, I'm here and yes, you are right - as long as that pole stands, I'm online.

It has been wonderful here - watching the 5 surfers having a blast on those waves, the birds diving for fish and then getting blown backwards. The wind is calm at this moment - 5 minutes ago it was a good blow up here on the point but the palm trees on the beach didn't move. Funniest thing.

I remember Juliette only too well. I rode her out in Cabo right on the marina. I'm a Navy brat, grew up all over the world and have been through my share of hurricanes and Typhoons. Typhoon Karen in Guam wiped us out in November of 1962. I have alot of respect for them!

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:21 AM

I have family near Insurgentes, already talked to them and they have made the necessary preparations with the help of the Military.

Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.