Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:53 PM

OK...Gnu, you put up a video of some big lipped Iraqi copess talking crap. BFD

What I'm sayin is, if I were a cop and you or anyone else shoved a camera in my face, I'd take it away and beat you half to death with it.

I'm also saying you can have all the film you want, but it does no good without objective eyes to review it.
Doncha effing get it? Gawwwdammmm....I know you do.

Quote:

You might be surprised but these videos are absolutely passed around the Minesterial Publico and tagged with the office and the names and do have significant impact on defeating corruption.

This is pure fantasy, or worse. What they do is, one...entertain..and two... instruct stealth. "Watch for recorders and don't get caught on tape."

Do you truly believe a ************ video, an indescretion by the accused for it's existance, will be an indictment against anybody within a system which is repressive by design and motivated by revenge and payback?

NO

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by BajaNomad]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey D...pa la soda or para la soda means ....for a soda...it is a very very common expression in these parts meaning a small gratuity so the person can go get a soda.

Thanks, Shari....I do the same, almost, but I like to say, "Por una cerveza" or Media cerveza....whatever the amount calls for.
We're all in the same boat here, I think.
Thanks again for the enlightenment.

No visable cameras.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:13 PM

I was visualizing as you drive through town just hold your phone or camera up like a gawking tourista and film as you drive...then if by chance you might need it to get out of a false accusation....well....cool.
I agree it might not be a good plan to stick a camera in a cops face...but maybe you could ask if you could take his picture...hahaha...might get you out of a ticket....er...mordida.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
OK...Gnu, you put up a video of some big lipped Iraqi copess talking crap. BFD

What I'm sayin is, if I were a cop and you or anyone else shoved a camera in my face, I'd take it away and beat you half to death with it.

I'm also saying you can have all the film you want, but it does no good without objective eyes to review it.
Doncha effing get it? Gawwwdammmm....I know you do.

Quote:

You might be surprised but these videos are absolutely passed around the Minesterial Publico and tagged with the office and the names and do have significant impact on defeating corruption.

This is pure fantasy, or worse. What they do is, one...entertain..and two... instruct stealth. "Watch for recorders and don't get caught on tape."

Do you truly believe a *********** video, an indescretion by the accused for it's existance, will be an indictment against anybody within a system which is repressive by design and motivated by revenge and payback?

NO

This may be another south versus north thing...

I know you hate to hear this, but we take video of cops treating us unfairly, we demand a ticket and we take the tickets and we bring them directly to the judge at the centro de transito where they review any evidence you have immediately and the the cases are dismissed and there is an order written for the offending to MP to answer to as well a federal order can be written. To me, that is all I want, the case dismissed and the officer to know that the system has documented it.

My personal experience is that when we catch them in the act and fight it, we win, and they never return to that spot again and when they see our car at later moments they turn away. Keep in mind when a cop behaving very badly, they know they are doing it and they do not hold it against people for standing up for themselves. There has not been any evidence of retaliation when we defend ourselves, just the opposite, we get respect which is better than being pegged as an easy mark.

Good things do happen.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:23 PM

Shari

I dont think for a moment asking a cop in CC while he is shaking you down will want to pose for you

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by desertcpl]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I agree it might not be a good plan to stick a camera in a cops face...but maybe you could ask if you could take his picture...hahaha...might get you out of a ticket....er...mordida.

Claro que sí. If you wear your Sindicatúra ball cap backwards....be sure and turn it around so he can see it. :lol:

You can't beat these guys. Only pressure from the business community can stop this.
I'll say it again and again and again ............ad infinitum.
cutexianchick
Junior Nomad

Mood: excited!

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:38 PM

Okay... I wasnt meaning put the camera in your face type of thing. LOL I meant start recording like tourist kinda but not so obvious. And ya I would be that kind of person that is talking much back at the station wanting to throw it in the officers face as my husband is poking at me to be quite and let him handle it! LOL Didnt think of the U-tube thing... so I can look like I knew what I was talking about... yea and I'll put it on U-tube too! :P

?"Por una cerveza or e soda"? I am so gringa... LOL

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by cutexianchick]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid

My personal experience is that when we catch them in the act and fight it, we win, and they never return to that spot again and when they see our car at later moments they turn away. Keep in mind when a cop behaving very badly, they know they are doing it and they do not hold it against people for standing up for themselves. There has not been any evidence of retaliation when we defend ourselves, just the opposite, we get respect which is better than being pegged as an easy mark.

Good things do happen.

I guess they do when the game is defined,
You seem to have a network of participants in your game, Gnu. There are a lot of "WEs" in your narrative.
You are also in your neighborhood and have developed raport with your law enforcers.

People running the gauntlet in CC don't have that advantage....your mutual respect with your friendly enemy. They are at the mercy of predators who thrive on weakness and opportunity.
You are on a base of mutual respect with your adversary.
The travelor through CC is not.

No comparison. No way.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:08 PM

I went to the Tourista Office today in La Paz.

The new guy (whose name I did not get...sorry) was not in the office, he was in Cabo, possibly back in his La Paz office Wed-Thurs.

In his absence, I spoke with a 29-year employee....29 years on the job there, not 29-years old! I gave him this website address & the thread name & asked him to please give it to the new head honcho when he returns from Cabo.

I asked what, if anything, could be done about the police harassment & extortion in Constitucion. Following is the information I was given:

"Each police station has a Juridico (legal area) within the PD. That individual is an abagado of the traffic department & part of his role is to help people in case of abuse by a policeman. They will not accept phone calls, letters or e-mails after the fact, they will only act on face-to-face interview basis.

If you can get a name/badge/vehicle # or plate, a physical description of the offending officer(s), the date, time & specific location of the incident, take it to the PD & ask for the Juridico. Supposedly they will write up an official complaint, call the officer(s) into the PD, have you verify this is indeed the correct individual(s), make him empty his pockets out & if you gave him a USD $20 with a red dot on Andrew Jackson's nose or a hundred folded into a origami bird & that bill comes out of his pocket, the officer is fired on the spot."

Unfortunately, no mention was made of legal action taken against the officer(s) & since I was told your money would be immediately returned, you'd in essence be "pocketing the evidence", I doubt that the officer(s) will be held long enough for you to get the hell outta Dodge!

I personally have a HUGE problem with this scenario!! For starters, all the officer has to do is leave the $$ in his car, with a partner; or if there's truly no honor among thieves, stash it under a convenient rock to be retrieved later; drop it off at home on his way into the station....the possibilities are endless! My greater concern is placing the accused & the accuser in a potentially volatile face-to-face situation. The risk is simply more than I'd be willing to take for fear of personal retribution. You just got the guy fired....how the hell do you think he's going to react if he sees you on the street 10 minutes or 10 days from now? I'd fear retribution from his buddies on the force as well. This is not a route I'd personally feel comfortable taking, especially if it was in my home territory where the chances were good that our paths would cross again!

Ditto for written complaints registered with Tourista Department; they carry NO weight, so an e-mail campaign is going to net you diddly squat, least of all the positive results hoped for. Their policy is to only act on a warm body standing in their office or on their desk registering an official detailed complaint in person.

IMO, there is a slight chance that an e-mail blizzard MIGHT possibly gain enough attention for someone somewhere to look into the allegations, but from everything I heard today, it'd be on par with a snowball's chance in hell. Maybe anything sent to a PD should be sent attn: Juridico.

And yes, I did point out the obvious that this activity in Constitucion affects all points south on the Peninsula, for all vehicular tourism....not just Constitucion! He acknowledged it's an unacceptable situation.

I personally would neither photograph nor take a video of anyone wearing a gun....especially in the midst of an extortion attempt! Give me a ticket if I'm caught dead-to-rights & I'll go straight to the PD & pay it....or "Let's go to the station" if it's a bogus stop.

I was also advised that PD's are supposed to be manned & open 24x7, so don't be falling for the PD is closed right now garbage.

It sounds like the best bet is to gain a new best friend....the Juridicio at the PD in whatever town you happen to get stopped by an armed extortionist!

Edit typo

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by longlegsinlapaz]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:15 PM

when I say we I meant my GF and our friends we taught how to fight tickets, if you have photo and video evidence it is admissiable and those Mexican guys at trasito offices love to look at it and laugh and dismiss cases. It does have long lasting affects when you do, the corruptos have to move on to another neighborhood.

Everyone must decide for themselves how to handle these circumstances. Hopefully a few anecdotes are helpful to allow others to see there are many ways to defuse these situations, while being totally polite, calm, friendly and stick to the law. I think its important to see the corruptos are NOT horrible evil people, but instead realize that are convinced that gringos have money that grows on trees, they have found gringos easy targets for lots of dough-notice a typcial mordida for a Mexican is 20 pesos while gringos always reach for a 500 note, so as long as that reputation persists the problem will continue.

The moment our BN reputation is one of being informed, calm, truthful and extremely well documented the problem will be reduced dramtically.

I reiterate, always introduce yourself right away to a cop and ask the officer to identify themselves immediately. Officers must identify themselves as required by the constitution. Always be polite and not contradictory. A failure for police to identify themselves is a crime and immediately will establish they are corrupt while you have done nothing to provoke them or be impolite, it simply establishes that at the beginning of the stop they broke the law.

Its very easy to make up ideas about how these guys are going to beat you or something but that doesn't happen typically in mexican traffic stops like it so often does in US traffic taser incidents. That might occur in drunken brawls but rarely if ever in a Mexican traffic stop and certainly not for politely asking questions and insisting on a ticket politely while taking video which is totally legal in public in all countries of the North American Community.

You need to know how to do the dance.

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by gnukid]

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by gnukid]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:24 PM
Thinking outside the box is not a bad idea

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Bad idea, Lee, .....unless the cameras are well hidden.

I recognize that sticking a video cam in a cops face is not a good idea. I wasn't even thinking of using one after being stopped. Just video taping going through town, stopping at all signs/lights, etc.

It wouldn't be of much use as evidence outside of negotiating directly with the cop having stopped you.

So, although a video cam doesn't appeal to me personally, a regular camera does -- and I"ll have it on me when I get out to chat with any cop stopping me.

On all the other points, Dennis, we're in agreement.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
I reiterate, always introduce yourself right away to a cop and ask the officer to identify themselves immediately. Officers must identify themselves as required by the constitution. Always be polite and not contradictory. A failure for police to identify themselves is a crime and immediately will establish they are corrupt while you have done nothing to provoke them or be impolite, it simply establishes that at the beginning of the stop they broke the law.

You need to know how to do the dance.

I'd add that it's better to get out of your car and talk face to face with any cop. Do not sit in your car waiting for them to approach you.

This pretty much sums it up.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:31 PM
longlegs

well thought out, makes alot of sense, you have alot more experience than I do in this matters.

but it really doesn't address unformed travelers that do not read this forum, some thing needs to be done,, this is not acceptable for any one other than the police and the politicians in CC. that are complacent to this extortion
texascarwasher
Junior Nomad

Mood: Vive La Paz

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:34 PM

have any of you heard of Sindictura? i have sent e-mails to these folkks but haven't received a response. it seems like a great idea but who knows?? i too have been a victim of the Constitution shake down but told them to F--- off. Check out their website ******************************

BajaNomad edit: Sindacatura website is not the commercial site linked to above. It is:
http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by texascarwasher
have any of you heard of Sindictura? i have sent e-mails to these folkks but haven't received a response. it seems like a great idea but who knows?? i too have been a victim of the Constitution shake down but told them to F--- off. Check out their website ******************************

BajaNomad edit: Sindacatura website is not the commercial site linked to above. It is:
http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx

that is really so funny more BS mordida. give me a break who in their right mind would go for that,

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:50 PM

Each region of the law enforcement is separate in Mexico, with very little inter-departmental communication. Consider them separate. In La Paz there are so many divergent agencies out and about its unbelievable.

To clarify, you can submit a report to the abogado at the transit office immediately to state a case of corruption while noting all relevant facts. You can also refer to video and photos, though perhaps it is not submissable at that time since there is no method for storage of this evidence, they will be reviewed on site and can referenced on the internet on youtube for example and they will have an affect when they demonstrate you to be correct and the officer identified to be clearly corrupt.

Again, to each his own, as some people have explained after a while it becomes fun to encounter a totally corrupt cop and watch how things quickly turn when you calmly ask them to explain their preposterous case to you. They always fold when you remain confident, calm, polite, and truthful.

Our goal is to establish that tourists are knowledgeable, technically well equipped with sophisticated tools to document our adventures, able to defend our-selves legally and not easy mordida targets. Try it-but always be polite and understanding that these cops are people too with their own problems and reasons to justify corruption in their mind from ultra wealthy passerbys.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
My greater concern is placing the accused & the accuser in a potentially volatile face-to-face situation. The risk is simply more than I'd be willing to take for fear of personal retribution. You just got the guy fired....how the hell do you think he's going to react if he sees you on the street 10 minutes or 10 days from now?

Legit concerns, *****, although I doubt your evidence and testimonial will get him fired.
He, and his officer brothers, will never forget your efforts to ruin him and your future in your community will be dismal and unprotected.

Quote:
IMO, there is a slight chance that an e-mail blizzard MIGHT possibly gain enough attention for someone somewhere to look into the allegations, but from everything I heard today, it'd be on par with a snowball's chance in hell.

Pure joke.

Quote:
And yes, I did point out the obvious that this activity in Constitucion affects all points south on the Peninsula, for all vehicular tourism....not just Constitucion!

That is the Rosetta Stone for solving this problem. Involve the businesses and point out their losses.

Good points and efforts, *****. Thanks.

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
well thought out, makes alot of sense, you have alot more experience than I do in this matters.

but it really doesn't address unformed travelers that do not read this forum, some thing needs to be done,, this is not acceptable for any one other than the police and the politicians in CC. that are complacent to this extortion

Actually, I've never been stopped in Constitucion, but then I haven't driven north for 6-7 years. Prior to that maybe 12-15 trips both directions over the years. I believe this problem has escalated in the fairly recent past. I would hope if enough people do make an effort to follow "official complaint procedures" the Juridico guys would get tired of dealing with a constant parade of gringos in their office, the entire police force would eventually turn over (if they do indeed fire these guys) & the word would get out, making driving through Constitucion better for all whether they read Baja Nomad or not....well, except for the underpaid cops!:(

Extortion is extortion....whether it's $20 pesos or $500. They still win the game even if you play it cute & tell them it's for soda or cerveza. When their actions stop benefiting them, then it'll have to stop....:O or escalate to armed robbery or violence.:(
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 08:03 PM

Great discussion, I'm back, great wedding!!

I have briefly read the thread and appreciate all of the good thinking and efforts that people have made regarding the extortion in Ciudad Constitution.

I have a ton to do unpacking etc. but will get back to this tomorrow. I have not yet had my letter translated, but it is in the works. I have quoted many examples of people being shaken down in CC and have included them in my letter. I will add those I have found in the most recent posts.

Again my goal is for us to generate ideas and to take actions that MIGHT impact this situation that affects ALL US CITIZENS traveling on the ONLY FEDERAL HIGHWAY connecting Baja N and Baja S. We must all protect our own personal safety and I well know that graft and corruption is endemic in Mexico, it is more hidden but certainly exists in the USofA. We are still puking oil into the Gulf due to corrupt practices.

I appreciate those who have connections using them. I appreciate people talking about this, creating a buzz. There are excellent recommendations here as to how to deal directly with this when it occurs. This is very useful and helpful information. I particularly appreciate the advice to stay calm and clear, get name, badge number etc. and ask for the ticket and go to the PD and pay there. There does seem to be some consensus about this way of addressing the issue on a personal level.

It also appears that IF there is to be an impact on this issue on a macro level it will need to come from local business people and "from above". This is where personal connections MAY be important, it is often who you know that counts in a system like this. Creating public awareness does no harm and may do some good. You make news when you shed light on the problem. Shed light.

I will add to the list of contact people those mentioned since my last post and will include the stories of extortion as well.

I appreciate all of the thought that is going into this and the actions that people are taking to address this. There is excellent information in this thread and I am glad that it is still alive and others are doing something about this.

Iflyfish
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
that is really so funny more BS mordida. give me a break who in their right mind would go for that,

I don't know................I've laughed at this Sindicatura joke for a while. There are some here who swear by it....for no real reason. Not one of them can relate a positive result from a report to the agency.

I see it as the Suggestion Box in the cartoons that is right above a trash can.
Anyone who falls for this scam has no buisness being on the road down here.
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.