BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 07:24 AM

Just made my donation for this great cause. I can't imagine Emilia having to work while attending medical school to become a doctor.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 08:23 AM
LF and JW bring us a lot closer $2,285....Yeahhh! Only a few days left....

I wish 315 more Nomads gave a dollar apiece so they could follow this story through Emilia's updates and triumphs. (she writes a nice thank you letter as well and will probably advise you on your medicine gratis in a few years :bounce:)

[Edited on 8-9-2011 by akmaxx]
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 09:27 AM

Made a small donation the other day. Today received a personal email thanking me. The lady is a class act. That's good for another donation.
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 01:10 PM

Our donation is on the way.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 12:35 PM
$2,410 almost there.....Thank you MS and RD...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.........

BajaHombre

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 01:22 PM

Hi Maxx,

I just sent you my donation via PayPal.

BH
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 02:06 PM

Just sent money via paypal at aswmiso@yahoo.com
Education is the one investment that keeps on paying!!

Keep up the good work Emi.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 05:58 PM
KM, MF, and WN take us over the goal line and into the stands....The crowd goes wild!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did go a bit over the goal so if anybody wants a refund (back down to the goal) Emilia is willing to part with it. Otherwise it is going to stay in an account for emergencies or go towards the 2012-2013 school year.

Thanks to all Nomads and others who have contributed in a very positive way to an amazing and deserving young student.

Pat yourselves on the back. Those of you who pledged through me - I will see you soon and you can pay me in pesos, dollars, or home-baked goods.:bounce:

Thanks again and peace,

Maxx.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 08:06 PM

Thanks are to you, Maxx, for herding this motley crew of alleycats,

and thanks are to Emilia for her continued efforts in school.

To give a little bit for the education of this worthy young woman is an easy investment in the betterment of all mankind.

Yay! Don't stop. Don't stop. Don't ever stop.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 08:49 PM

fantastic !!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Mulegena, thanks to you for keeping up the entusiasm .....

it is a good day in paradise ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2011 at 09:44 PM

AWESOME!
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 09:06 AM

Refund? No Way. Save it for the future. Good job and thanks.
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 8-11-2011 at 09:10 AM

She's the greatest and you are the hero Maxx
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2011 at 07:58 PM
La Doctora sends you a smile wants you to know....

how grateful she is for this chance. She shows it here by dissecting a liver (?) and smiling. School has started, classes are more difficult, and she is going to kick ass.

[Edited on 8-19-2011 by akmaxx]

101_2559.JPG - 48kB
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2011 at 08:10 PM

That Smile is all the thank you I ever need.
Rick
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2011 at 09:02 PM
Testing posting photos.....Trying to figure it out with instructions from another thread....

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2011 at 01:13 PM

you did good on the photos !!! it took me around 2 years to learn LOL ... Congrats Emmy - we wish you all the success in the world !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2011 at 10:37 PM
a little update on Emila

She's doing great, positive attitude, happy and more beautiful than ever as she develops into a first-class doctor.

Studying genetics last I heard.
A few nights before that it was physiology.

Good girl, Emy!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2011 at 07:18 AM
Near perfect grades, enthusiasm, and a very bright future - You all helped this happen...............MEXICO'S FUTURE!...

Here is La Docotra's last update. If you aren't receiving her updates in your personal email then you weren't a donor/patron(ess) of this amazing Mulegena (or I transposed your address - I've got fat keyboard fingers).

Peace,

First I want to apologize for not writing to you before, seriously, I feel very ashamed about it. Truth be told, I have been working very very hard at school and haven’t got a day off just to sit and write. I decided to work on this letter little by little in every chance I get, now it is done and I hope you enjoy it.

In general, my grades are great, A, A+, A, B, B, A+, something like that but in numbers. This is the result of working very hard every day, and harder the next one. I’m very sorry that it took me so long to write to you, but this is one of the reasons, it takes a lot of time to get even a B in medical school, so I appreciate your understanding that.

7 octubre del 2011

The death of the dog

Today was a very exciting day, we had our physiopathology lab and the teacher taught us about infarction, diabetes and renal failure with a dog. That's right, a dog. Yes the poor animal did die, but he taught us so much. We used anesthetics so he wouldn’t feel anything and then we started all the procedures to see in real time and in a real heart a heart attack. I feel very bad about the little dog, but I’m amazed the by the way the heart worked, the breathing, and then the heart having trouble working and finally dying. This is important because this was you see what is happening inside a patient as you see them and you can work better. I loved it and I thank the little dog so much for helping us get through the semester and medical school with better knowledge. R.I.P. the school dog.

I want to tell about school this semester, it has been great, it has been hard, it has been awesome!

Is weird it feels like first semester but harder, because now is not only learning how to learn, or about anatomy (which IS very hard), but this one is a sort of combination between learning and reasoning and hardly sleeping. Also a lot of homework and reading every day. This feels like I always thought medicine will feel like and I like it. The only problem is I get very busy and don’t get much time to share with the ones I love and then I’m thinking “It’s so bad today. I have so much to do. I want to be writing to you, or calling home to hear my parents voice or meet up with an old friend from the other school”… but time eats me up. I see the dark and then I see the light and then I see myself in genetics class and think "Wow, is it tomorrow already"? and it is, and I have a thousand things I have to do, and a thousand more I wish I could do…

15 octubre del 2011

The pathology exam

Pathology is not an easy field but it is very important and very useful and I like it. My teacher, who is a pathologist, is a very wise man and always leads us like a group of an old times doctors (at least as I imagine how it might have been then). He always has great advice and when we have lost it he will make us see we are losing our minds over nothing. I like him but the problem is that even though he knows how to teach the 3 exams that we have are not made by him, instead by some of the hardest pathology teachers. So when we face the truth we end up reading the book 3 nights before and finding out we didn’t know anything. Last exam I studied quite some time and became first place in my class for getting a general exam result of B, which is not good (for me). Still if I'm the best in my classroom it makes me wonder about the worst and I think it is very scary… I will have another one on Friday and I’ll let you know how I did.

08 de Noviembre del 2011

The Kempe syndrome - A doctors hearbreak.

Better known as the Battered Child Syndrome. I went to the hospital today because my homework for pediatrics covers the topic Kempe syndrome. The homework: Go to the hospital find a child who has been battered and write down the clinical history. So like the good student that I am, I woke up early this morning (even though I hardly slept last night) took a shower, put on my medical clothes and made my way to the school-hospital. I went there early thinking it will be so hard to find a child who has been battered, oh naive me! There were three of them in the very same room! They have been beaten, or abandoned, you name it! Anyway, I made one interview with the nurse, checked the history, and what I found was that this little girl suffered from mental retardation due bad alimentation, from a very weird genetic syndrome, she was almost 4 years old, and couldn’t speak, couldn’t walk, couldn’t even seat by herself, she was vomiting blood, had in addition to all that anemia, plus so many other terrible things. Now ask me where the mother is? Nowhere near. She thought it wasn’t even necessary to take her to the hospital, it was the grandmother instead who took her. Imagine that happening every day, many times, and you will have a nightmare. The sad part is it happens and it will still happen everywhere despite of the socioeconomic position or geographic situation. Now all we can do is try to avoid this from happening is taking those child from the abuser and finding them a better life. I hope for it to happen and will work every day at the hospital for it to happen.

This is all roughly. I hope you are well and god bless you. I hope to write again soon. I want you to know you're always in my thoughts and will continue to work with such enthusiasm and desire as it is today.

Emilia
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 07:58 PM
Update on Emilia and another round of fundraising begins....She is worth every centavo

Emilia continues to excel and accelerate with her earning a coveted teaching position and contributing to new medical textbooks.

She is currently in Mulege visiting her family and she studies everyday in the hopes of earning an residency in a US hospital. It is a very select program but with her grades and attitude she has a very good chance of success.

Your help has been the rungs for her ladder on the climb to success.

The goal this time is smaller than last year because Emilia is working as a teacher so her tuition is being subsidized but not her bed, food, books, etc.

Thanks again. If you would like to contribute towards this very bright future please Paypal egvbuckovecs@gmail.com and mark it as a "gift" to save the transaction fee.

Here is a copy of her last update to all her patrons. Good karma all over this project.

Peace,

Hello dear, another semester is over, and we continue in the pursuit of a dream, firs I will like to share with you my notes:

BIOETICA Y NORMATIVIDAD ----------------------------------- 100

PROPEDEUTICA, SEMIOLOGIA Y DIAGNOSTICO FISICO --- 95

SALUD PÚBLICA II ------------------------------------------------- 100

TERAPEUTICA FARMACOLOGICA ------------------------------ 84

SEXUALIDAD HUMANA ------------------------------------------ 100

This was a great semester in what concerns to education, but not a very great one in other matter, you remember that I told you that somebody broke into my house and stole all my things? Well, while I was giving a test to the physiology students they stole the computer I bought with my savings, from the physiology lab´s office! So it was sad especially because it was most likely somebody I know and work and study with, and after all this hard time I have come to realize that this is all part of the living in a big city, and Guadalajara (perhaps because of the elections time) is crazy most of my friends have been assault and robed and some even attacked, most in this area which I would avoid if it wasn’t where the school and the hospital are, anyway I try to take everything as a part of a life lesson sometimes is hard sometimes is beautiful but is always real.

Thank you everything for making this dream possible, like I said and the start this pursuit of a dream, and this is only possible because of you! And for that I will always be so very thankful,

Now let me tell you about this classes and the experience I had in them,

BIOETICA Y NORMATIVIDAD (bioethics and regulation), it is a class about many interesting topics such as abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering applied to humans as treatment, poverty, education, and law regulation all this matters. The professor was Eugenia Milke MD. And she is a very cool person, she is one of those doctors who have a social vision of medicine and justice, and I loved the class, there were discussions about every topic and we watch movies that represented those life and medical dilemmas and we checked the law to see what is legal and what is not, an well I have a very liberal point of view in many of this topic and I defended it threw the classes even though in a very conservator environment such as Jalisco I might have seen crazy sometimes, still what you have to do in the end of the day is what the law marks as legal, anyway, it was a great class and I loved it.

PROPEDEUTICA, SEMIOLOGIA Y DIAGNOSTICO FISICO (Propaedeutic, signs and physical diagnosis), Well in this class I was lucky enough to be taught by Huitron MD, who is the chief of emergency medicine in the Hospital Civil Juan I Menchaca, and also thoughts a class of medical actualization for those who want to aspire to a residency program in Mexico, (like the US USMLE), this is his website (http://www.cursodeactualizacionmedica.com/) , and well he is a great person and an excellent doctor and I was lucky enough to have him as my professor, the class was about going to the hospital every day and doing rounds, which is going bed to bed checking on every patient and he will ask questions about the patient’s condition and treatment options, it was an amazing class, I learn so much and saw many things that are very rare to see, very uncommon disease.

SALUD PUBLICA II ( Public health II), as you might remember I had public health I on the first semester, well it was very fun but this second part was better, as we went to a community outside Guadalajara, interviewed with the population and took data to make a situational diagnosis, which is like figuring out what is wrong and what need to be done to help improve public health in that population, it was great we met many people, we talk about their problems, and our final work was a proposal to improve their situation, mine was on chronic disease, because most of the people had either diabetes or hypertension, and those 2 chronic diseases when left untreated (as in this case) can fatal, better yet, are fatal, so that is what I focus on and my professor really liked the way that the whole project turned on, and he told me that maybe next semester we can work together to do some research an publish a paper about this public health matters in this population, and if it happens you will be the first one to know.

TERAPEUTICA FARMACOLOGICA ( a doctors nightmare, sorry I mean pharmacological therapeutic), is not that it is so hard to learn about it, the hard part is to remember the hundreds of pages during the exams, you see this class is about the drugs that you use to treat a disease, and that sounds easy, except that there are so many drugs, really many, many, many, and you need to know about each one at least their name(of course! But the right one! Which is usually hcykvchrk and you go WHAT!) Oh but only the first time you read it, after ten time you are more then familiar with it, so their name, then their classification, which is the chemical group to which they belong, then the action mechanism, is it blocking a polymerase? Is it opening sodium channels? Is it?, then the pharmacokinetics, when you take it where it goes, how you process it, how you excrete it, etc., the clinical indications, when you use it and how ( this is the best part), and the toxic and side effects (all of them), now this is one of the most important classes I will ever take and I know it because you need to diagnose and treat, that is the biggest part of being a doctor, to know what the problem is and n to know how to treat it. But learning all the treatments to all the possible disease in only 6 months (actually much less because of spring break, days off, etc) is just a crazy idea! They should teach this in at least a year or more, and there universities who do teach this in more time, but not mine, anyway, it was fun and a complete mental challenge, but in top of all that I choose ( don’t ask me why!) the hardest professor of all! Her name is Marisol Conde MD and she is a plastic surgeon, and she knows soooo much! Every class she will get in the class room, start asking questions and then teaching just by telling as the whole class by memory, I mean she never used anything to remember thing just as they were writing in the books, all she uses is the blackboard and her brain she is brilliant indeed but she is also a crazy person, if somebody was outside the classroom before she got in she will get mad and scream and then go and leave as all without a class, and many other things, but above all that she is genius, and I loved her class and her impossible exams and now when my friends ask me who I took pharmacological therapeutic with I can proudly answer Marisol Conde and you always see that fearful expression in their face and they ask, and you made it? So I can proudly answer again an 84! Ha ha is funny but is true.

SEXUALIDAD HUMANA (human sexuality), this is a very interesting class and I had the most wonderful sexuality professor in the whole university, her name is Laura Flores MD and she even has her own TV show, she is great and she teaches what matters and how things should be and what to do when a patient this and a patient that, she gives to the class the approach that the student is looking for and so she makes it fun, interesting and respectful all at the same time, she is great! Her exams weren’t easy either and if you were to comment something it had to be something helpful and well backed by some scientific bibliography, it was the science of sexuality, great amazing class.

And well above all this I also thought physiology, and I had a great time doing it so.

God bless you!

Sincerely Emilia..

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by akmaxx]
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.