Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:25 AM
Good Wishes

I'm thinking of all my friends in Baja Sur. I'll be there in about 30 days and hope to see you all well and in good spirits. for what it's worth I've been tracking the storm since I got up this AM and it seems to have shifted about 33 miles west while only a few miles north during the same time. It shows to be 122 nautical miles Sw of Cabo's arch and moving NNW-which --like Vandenburg says- Hold on to your hat Shari--like any untrained forecaster you get what you pay for in my predictions but my hope is that it continues to shift Westward and all you get in Baja Sur is a couple of days of rain. Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:28 AM

Shari and company should get outta there. I agree with Bob H!
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:28 AM

Very quiet -- no wind but surf -- about 1 1/2" of rain so far at Castillo de Arena.

Beach photos at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=142603&id=54098362...

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by Paulclark]
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:40 AM

Everyone take care! We're thinking of you and hope not one soul is hurt.

•Life is just one damned thing after another
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:41 AM

History in the making?

Since records began to be kept in 1949, no CAT 3, or above, hurricanes have hit the west coast of Baja, and Kiko in 1989 is the only CAT 3 to make landfall in the east coast.

Be safe down there!

Baja Insider link

Category Three Hurricane:
Sustained winds 111-130 mph (96-113 kt or 178-209 km/hr). Dangerous winds will cause extensive damage. Some structural damage to houses and buildings will occur with a minor amount of wall failures. Mobile homes (mainly pre-1994 construction) and poorly constructed signs are destroyed. Many windows in high rise buildings will be dislodged and become airborne. Persons struck by windborne debris risk injury and possible death. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted and block numerous roads. Near total power loss is expected with outages that could last from several days to weeks.

Category Four Hurricane:
Sustained winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Extremely dangerous winds causing devastating damage are expected. Some wall failures with some complete roof structure failures on houses will occur. All signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes (primarily pre-1994 construction). Extensive damage to doors and windows is likely. Numerous windows in high rise buildings will be dislodged and become airborne. Windborne debris will cause extensive damage and persons struck by the wind-blown debris will be injured or killed. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted. Fallen trees could cut off residential areas for days to weeks. Electricity will be unavailable for weeks after the hurricane passes.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I may even consider seeking refuge...which is pretty rare for me! Juan will be out trying to save people too but we will try our best to make sure people are in the shelters before things get bad.

Shari, get your wonderful self off the point tomorrow, my darling ladyfriend, please.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:44 AM

Same here in La Ribera. Cars can't pass through the flooded area at Santa Cruz but that is expected every rain event like this. We are hoping for 50MPH winds or less as the eye goes due west of Cabo. We still have power so comparatively (John/Octave/many others) we are livin' large right at the moment.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:45 AM

Bob is right; I was in So Fla for Andrew.
The mobil homes and campers didn't have a chance.
Roofs went flying; palms broke in half or sideways .... anything loose was airborn.
Even really well-built homes were damaged.

If Jimena hit's Asuncion at 130 mph ................... the Gypsies may be wishing they had made the upper floor of their casa with concrete block !!

I hope it takes a sudden turn to the west !!
Please be safe !!

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by Diver]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I may even consider seeking refuge...which is pretty rare for me! Juan will be out trying to save people too but we will try our best to make sure people are in the shelters before things get bad.

Shari, get your wonderful self off the point tomorrow, my darling ladyfriend, please.

Yes Shari. please.
Maybe hang at Lupita's or somewhere higher up the hill ?
Is there a shelter somewhere ?
Or the church ? Or up by the water tank ?
Where WOULD you go ??
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:53 AM

Little rain in La Paz 10am-11am. Little wind. Spoke to a friend in Cabo and just some rain and wind. Jimena still away from coastline till now. Hope go further west and lose strentgh.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:53 AM

Yikes !!
I just thought of Hippolito !!
I hope they are all evacuating !??
That would not be a good place to be if the hurricane comes close !!
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:55 AM

Thousands Evacuated as Hurricane Jimena Swirls Toward Baja California
By VOA News
01 September 2009

A NOAA-NASA GOES Project satellite image collected at 7.45am EDT, 01 Sep 2009, shows Hurricane Jimena off the Baja Peninsula coast
Hurricane Jimena has grown into an extremely dangerous storm swirling toward Mexico's Baja California peninsula, scaring off tourists and forcing authorities to evacuate thousands of reluctant slum dwellers.

Police, firefighters and military personnel drove through shantytowns, trying to persuade some 10,000 people to evacuate shacks made of plastic sheeting, wood, reeds and even blankets.

At last report, 1200 universal, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said the storm was 250 kilometers south of Cabo San Lucas, popularly known as Los Cabos, moving northwest.

Jimena is expected to make landfall as early as Tuesday, bringing with it winds of 250 kilometers-per-hour. Its storm surge, along with battering waves, will likely produce significant coastal flooding along the Baja peninsula.

Much of Baja is sparsely populated desert and mountains that are popular with nature lovers, surfers, sportsfishermen and retirees.

Los Cabos, which is a more built-up area, attracts tourists to its golf courses, resorts and beaches.

Jimena's approach has already prompted the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development to move an international meeting on tax havens from Los Cabos to Mexico City. The two-day talks open Tuesday.

The U.S. State Department has urged Americans to consider carefully the risks of travel to areas in Mexico that might be affected by the hurricane.

A travel alert issued Monday said Americans in areas likely to be affected by Jimena and who do not have access to adequate and safe shelter should consider leaving while commercial flights are still available. U.S. officials say seating capacity on those flights may be extremely limited.

Some information for this report was provided by AP.
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:58 AM

Thinking of everyone. Be safe.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:58 AM

Diver, we are expecting to be a one story shortly. Its' ok, what happens happens, our biggest worry is all our friends. Wish we could be down there to help.

Diver, your lucky you haven't started building yet!

YARDSAIL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:59 AM

JUST STARTING TO RAIN SERIOUSLY IN DOWNTOWN LOS BARRILES, AND GETTING THE FIRST HINTS OF THE WIND...
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:59 AM

Another consideration is the likely power failure during the storm. Since the northern part of BCS depends on the power grid coming from the San Carlos plant, and, since it's in the northeastern quadrant of the storm, a prolonged outage is quite possible. Even the much weaker Norbert caused many hours of outages and went by the plant more than 50 miles to the south.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos
Yea, I'm here and yes, you are right - as long as that pole stands, I'm online.

It has been wonderful here - watching the 5 surfers having a blast on those waves, the birds diving for fish and then getting blown backwards. The wind is calm at this moment - 5 minutes ago it was a good blow up here on the point but the palm trees on the beach didn't move. Funniest thing.

I remember Juliette only too well. I rode her out in Cabo right on the marina. I'm a Navy brat, grew up all over the world and have been through my share of hurricanes and Typhoons. Typhoon Karen in Guam wiped us out in November of 1962. I have alot of respect for them!

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]

Good that's what I thought re your internet access. What a sight that must be to see nature so close up...hopefully not too close for you. You do have hurricane experience wow.

Would appreciate your eyeball reporting on water level and when it breaches the sand dune in front of mi casa. House was built ~50 feet back from dune (since you can't build on the dune) but built up so same level of dune. However, both the north and south sides of the casa there are steep declines so once water breaches the dune it hopefully will go around house downhill with gravity and around the back and not through the house. Than we'll have serious flooding in back. Interesting to see how that 13 foot high retaining wall stands up in the back where the water will form. Builder said casa being built of concrete block all around with deep foundation footings could stand up to a strong hurricane...I don't think he meant this strong.

In any event, it's just cement and stuff. Peoples welfare is what's most important.

pacside
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:27 AM

I just watched a few cycles of the moisture model.

Those spotty light and occassionally heavy rains that you have been getting in Cabo, La Paz and Todos Santos will turn into SERIOUS rain within 1 -3 hours !!

It's time to get where you are going before the roads flood !!!
Be safe !!
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:30 AM

I second Diver, everyone please be safe! Don't take chances, just get to safety, as soon as you can.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:31 AM

Good L:uck Shari and Friends!!

Please all of you folks in Loreto, Mulege and on the East side. Be aware that this storm is full of water and the Mountains may get up to 15 inches.

I was in Loreto when "Lisa' hit in 1973. The flooding can be very damaging and could keep anything moving from North to South on the Highway for several weeks, so get prepared and stock up with plenty of Canned Soup!!!

Shari, please let us all know as soon as you are able and in the Clear.

Pam: How about you folks in Loreto?? Please let us know how you are doing.

Mulege: Anybody have a reort??

Skeet/loreto
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.