BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 06:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Not very practical to own a car that cant be left parked for a few weeks or months.

What happens to the gasoline and seals and 12V battery in your ICE vehicle when you leave it parked for a few weeks or months? Not very practical.

What happens to your horse when you leave it for a few weeks or months without food and water? Not very practical.

What happens to your laptop when you leave it for a few weeks or months? Not very practical.

What happens to your cell phone when you leave it for a few weeks or a month? Not very practical.

[Edited on 6-23-2024 by oxxo]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 07:06 AM

I had read 1% per day was normal on Tesla batteries, 5% does seem very high, even with the less heat tolerant battery chemistry Teslas use. Did you leave the temperature controls on, and all the online systems running? Maybe the high temps in CA are affecting the parasitic drain rate? Parasitic drains are normal on all my later model IC vehicles too at about that same rate of 1%, so I have someone run them now and then when we are out of town or otherwise leave the battery on a trickle charger.

Here is a sight that talks about unusual excessive drain rates on Teslas and the issues that might cause them:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-much-parasitic-d...

and this from the owners manual for model Y:

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-6F5B7B3...

[Edited on 6-23-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 08:16 AM

Ateo: Maybe you are just checking on your sleeping baby too often and keep waking it up every time you open the door?
Just a thought.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 08:34 AM

When I leave it I make sure Sentri Mode is on - so it’s recording its surroundings (via 4 of the 9 cameras that it comes with) and storing footage anytime someone approaches the vehicle. Nice to have that capability while away. It can be turned off. But I find it’s a great home security system. I can sit in La Paz and check what’s happening at home. Worth the $5 that I lose in electrify to be able to capture anyone up to no good while I’m away.

And yeah I do check the car every few days from the app and wake it up to see what’s going on. I can beep the horn, play deterrent sounds, and unlock it for someone if needed.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 08:41 AM

And I only posted this “negative issue” to subconsciously alert others on this board that we EV owners (and them) are capable of seeing the whole picture. The good, the bad, and the ugly in our choice in vehicle. 😀

We should all analyze our own self important opinions from time to time to find flaws in our reasoning. I’m guilty of not doing that from time to time.

So far, as someone who has owned an internal combustion engine vehicle since I was 15, this car is waaaaaaayy ahead in the “like” column.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 09:04 AM

Oxxo seeems to have the solution if you leave it on the trickle charge at 50%. I kinda like the Cabin Overheat Protection while parked, and the battery cooling automatically kicking in must be a safety feature for those battery chemistries especially in hot climates.
I'm waiting to see what the 2 new vehicles Tesla is planning on bringing out come in at, both in price and design. If you look at the shapes under the tarps, one seems to be an SUV style and one a very small low cost one. Both might be to challenge the two BYD most popular models presently being sold in Mexico, the Yuan Plus and the Dolphin Mini (Seagull). Its a different market in Mexico, and WHEN they are released we might see a far higher acceptance here, especially if the Giga factory comes through.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Oxxo seeems to have the solution if you leave it on the trickle charge at 50%. I kinda like the Cabin Overheat Protection while parked, and the battery cooling automatically kicking in must be a safety feature for those battery chemistries especially in hot climates.

Yep. All good. I also had the preconditioning setting on so it’s starting that at 8am each morning for my daily commute, warming the cabin. Very nice to be able to have that capability.

I just realized that during winter since I’ve purchased this vehicle, I just get in and drive away, not needing to wait for heat, defrost or even move condensation off the windshield. The preconditioning mode does it for me 10 minutes before I depart.

I’ll try to come up with a better negative comment on my vehicle next time. Hahaha. Safe travels too all today! It’s beautiful here in BOLA.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 09:45 AM

Tesla has established itself globally in the luxury EV market and we see challengers in that market going bankrupt quickly. Exceptions might be Rivian and F-150 Lightning in the truck end. What I think most people are waiting for is that low cost, less complicated basic and cheap transportation that EV's are superbly capable of. Think VW bug, a vehicle any back yard mechanic can repair and keep on the road very inexpensively and not have to worry about complex systems that will eventually become very expensive to repair.
For me personally, I am looking for the ability to upgrade my Leaf to supply emergency power to my home in power failures at about 4kw to run necessary appliances, something apparently the 2024 Leafs have, and the F-150 lightning first came out with at a very low price when you could buy the F-150 lightning Pro at under 40,000 and get 12,500 in rebates. In Canada at present, we pay twice that price for the entry level model, even after rebates.

surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 09:50 AM

Optimal battery protection temperatures, depending on where you live, has to have something to do with some of these energy draws. Cold or hot.

I am nothing but an observer, but I have a very dear local couple who have not bought a gallon of fossil fuel in over a decade.

Every year without fail, they go on road trips throughout the west from SD to BC Canada and points further east to NM and Colorado and Yellowstone.

They made the choice and I salute them for getting off the fossil fuel addiction.

I am still addicted, but it is abundantly clear this is the future if we want to have what we have been given for our future generations to come.

They deserve nothing less from us. All any of us can, or should consider, is to support the generations to come with our individual actions in whatever we can to leave some positive efforts behind our footprints.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 11:17 AM

To each his own. I can't even get a flashlight that works property. I don't want to depend on an electric vehicle. Perhaps the reliability will improve in time.

Going way back in this thread to the mention of forest fires and "carbon sequestration", the carbon in a plant is not really permanently sequestered. Eventually the hydrocarbons in a plant decompose into carbon dioxide, whether by fire or fungus. I saw a statistic that said that the carbon dioxide released to the air from decomposing plants is greater than the carbon released by combustion of fossil fuels. The "sequestration" argument is one of many common misconceptions that are repeated as fact in the discussion of climate change.

Carbon in plants undergoes an endless cycle. Using the energy from the sun, water in the soil and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are converted by plants into hydrocarbons, releasing oxygen as a byproduct. Then the plants decompose, releasing carbon dioxide back in the soil and the atmosphere. If there was no carbon dioxide in the air there would be no plants. If there were no plants there would be no oxygen to breath (or for that matter, food). So C02 in the air in itself is not a bad thing. On the contrary, life on earth depends on it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 11:24 AM

I can't wait to get an EV. going zero to sixty in 4 seconds is very appealing to me..
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 12:10 PM

"If there was no carbon dioxide in the air there would be no plants. If there were no plants there would be no oxygen to breath (or for that matter, food). So C02 in the air in itself is not a bad thing. On the contrary, life on earth depends on it."

I think everyone knows this, it's elementary school science.

There is such a thing as "too much" of even good, natural, beneficial, things. People have died from drinking too much water, for instance.

[Edited on 6-23-2024 by surabi]
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 12:34 PM

Flashlights? Single use batteries? Good riddance.

I do have a lithium ion rechargeable flashlight that came with my Makita tool kit a decade ago and am glad to have it when I need it. Not dealing with the disposing of batteries goes back a couple of decades now.

When almost everyone uses their so-called 'smart' phone for a flashlight, no one runs out of battery power.

Another great Makita lithium ion battery tool is a 12" adjustable fan.

Any breeze when you need it is invaluable. Now back to your regularly scheduled program. haha

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 12:55 PM

My favorite flashlight is a little wind-up one I have. Doesn't need electricity to recharge or batteries. You just hand crank it. It even has a USB port to charge up your phone.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I can't wait to get an EV. going zero to sixty in 4 seconds is very appealing to me..

You have NO idea how exhilarating that is!!!

I have one of the "slower" BEVs that does 0 to 60 in 6+ seconds. And when I "punch it," it will snap my head into the headrest (instant torque). I use this feature frequently when I am merging onto the freeway and an 18 wheeler is going 65 just to my left and blocking me. I simply floor it and leave the truck in my rear view mirror with plenty of room to spare, not cutting off anyone...and I'm flying down the road at 80+ in the "slow" lane, until I back off to the speed limit to avoid unwanted attention from Smokey (never buy a red BEV ;)) 0 to 60 in 4 sec. will suck the eyes right out of a parrot! And the acceleration is not the best part, the handling is. With the weight down low in the traction batteries, these cars are glued to the road. Take a drive to the mountains on the "twisties" some day to really appreciate a Tesla. And that is why so many drivers go through tires so quickly. Tires are still catching up to the capabilities of a BEV.

(Edit) I bet if you get a 4 second Model 3 Tesla Performance, you will be taking it to Laguna Seca to test your cajones because you will be maxing out your acceleration AND handling against some talented Tesla drivers! (take a clean pair of underwear)

[Edited on 6-23-2024 by oxxo]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
My favorite flashlight is a little wind-up one I have. Doesn't need electricity to recharge or batteries. You just hand crank it. It even has a USB port to charge up your phone.

I have one of those things too. Mine has crank or solar, and comes with a radio as well. But there's now an amazingly bright LED rechargeable for 12 bucks that throws a very strong beam that's become our favorite. Uses the same charging cord our cell phones do. Rechargeable lithium has been a game changer in convenience in almost everything, let alone all those batteries that used to go to landfills. Remember those white gas lanterns we used to have to pump up to get light when camping?

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 03:48 PM

I'm going to do a rough calculation of additional solar needs to charge an EV for common use, assuming you have a smaller system to handle your house needs alone.
If you lived in Todos Santos, about midway between La Paz and Cabo, you would need about 150 miles of range to drive to one of those cities and return and do a bit of running around while there. That equates to around 35kwh of power drawn for each trip, leaving a Tesla Y with half its power remaining when you got home, a battery of the Leaf size at 62KWH with at least 1/3 its power remaining. In that area, you can average 5.5 times 7kwh of rated solar panel output per day.

We happened to have about that much excess unused power from our 11kw system every day so it could at present handle that additional load or expense as it does not cause extra wear on the panels to allow them to feed the Inverter at full output. Adding a few more panels would help for those cloudy days when output is reduced. The car could charge on level 2 from your installed panels during the day or partially from batteries at night within maybe 3-4 hours, or if on a timer you would set it to only charge after your batteries were fully recharged during the day reducing your home storage batteries cycling wear. I think at a bit over .20 per kwh for CFE power this would be well worth the initial expense to boost solar for EV use.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 04:03 PM

. I think at a bit over .20 per kwh for CFE power this would be well worth the initial expense to boost solar for EV use.

The cheapest gasoline I saw in the Los Cabos area, 3 weeks ago was USD 6+/gal at Costco. If your calculations are correct to add additional panels to charge a BEV, given the price of gasoline, this would be a no brainer.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 04:14 PM

So at .20 per kwh even if you pay for the extra power from CFE, what do you estimate the savings on each trip to be when gas is 6.00 per gallon? If you have enough solar of course its free after the cost of installing or expanding the system. at 25mpg we get 36.00, even at ,20 per kwh its 7.00, quite a significant savings on each trip. This seems to put the Kia NIro EV right into the best range for those common trips at present, especially if you have existing or future solar excess.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2024 at 04:15 PM

Remember those white gas lanterns we used to have to pump up to get light when camping?

Remember? that one lantern was my only source of light for 2 years, back in the day, when we lived on $35/mo. for 2 people.
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.