Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:31 AM

Shari that monster is headed straight for you guys!,Ive been in two of these things one being a monster in Japan.

If you can get off that bluff,this has the power to just flatten places you are just to exposed,is there a place back away from the beach maybe a church or a real soild place to hole up?

Thinking of you folks
Rob
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:32 AM

Looks like it will be a cat 1 by the time it reaches Asuncion.

Constitucion and Insurgents, though, may get a cat 4 by tomorrow morning.

ep200913.gif - 31kB
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:39 AM

We are over in La Capila, just South of Buena Vista. It's been raining on and off since early this morning. We are getting stronger rain and winds right now. I can see across to Los Barriles looks like they are getting plenty of rain .The sea is just starting to build with white caps. We had winds at 25 mph it's dropped off now.
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:40 AM

folks are twittering away on Jimena...go to www.twitter.com and do a search on hurricane jimena.

pacside
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:54 AM

Shari, you are the one to wade thrugh fire to help someone. When you are tempted to put yourself in danger, take a breath and remember the planet needs you a good while longer. Don't take any chances. Be safe sister. I wish I was there to help.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
jannyk

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:58 AM

The 11am update is here:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPEP3+shtml/011748....

WTPZ33 KNHC 011748
TCPEP3
BULLETIN
HURRICANE JIMENA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 16A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP132009
1100 AM PDT TUE SEP 01 2009

...JIMENA WEAKENS A LITTLE MORE BUT REMAINS AT CATEGORY FOUR
STRENGTH...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF
THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA FROM PUERTO ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD ON THE
WEST COAST...AND FROM MULEGE SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST...
INCLUDING CABO SAN LUCAS. A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN 24
HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED
TO COMPLETION.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 10:59 AM

Hey Jesse,
Was going to be in La Paz today, but Volaris canceled flights fromTJ to La Paz. Rescheduled for Tomorrow, arrival 3pm La Paz time. Worried about the house in La Paz, about 3/4 of a mile inland. 900 sq ft, made of cinder block built about 8 years ago. Sealed the roof with "3-yr Top" from Comex last year. Only one coat. Hope it works.

I have two big Mesquite trees in Back yard. Luckily had the trees trimmed two weeks ago. The lot is surrounded by a 7-1/2 foot cinder block wall - big lot, about 9300 sq ft. Hope the bars covering the windows and the cinder block wall surrounding the yard protect the windows from breaking and letting debris and rain in.

Your updates are invaluable to me.

I am worried sick about the house. I have no experience with hurricanes. Don't know what to expect. I am watching La Paz weather reports from various reporting services. Problem is that they vary too significantly to be able to believe any of them. Sounds like worst case, based on these reporting agencies, is 43 MPH winds tonight and early tomorrow morning. Hoping the Mogote and the La Paz bay serve as mitigating factors to winds and ocean surge, but don't know for sure.

Was in La Paz this time last year when they had a storm. Winds were about 35 MPH with some gusts to 50 MPH. Was staying at the Los Arcos hotel. It rained off and on for about two days, nothing really spectacular. That kind of weather here in Orange County, CA would be nothing. But, in La Paz, it almost crippled the city. There were intermittant electrical outages for up to 6 hours and employees couldn't make it in to work in downtown La Paz because of arroyos being full. Drainage in La Paz is really poor. So, what I considered a mild storm, brought the city to a halt. Employees for two or three days couldn't come to work so government offices were closed as were most shops in downtown La Paz for the same reason.

This storm appears to be bringing worse weather than was experienced last year. So, I read your posts and others like it that have first hand immediate knowledge of what is going on in La Paz with extreme interest.

Thank you, man.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:07 AM

Mitchman:

Know it is tough not to be in La Paz.

Does no good to worry, just have Faith that it want be as bad as you expect.

It looks to me as it it will not be as bad as the past where many, many people were swept out in the Bay and consumed by the Sharks as they were in 1973.

Skeet
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:10 AM

Here in Buena Vista it's off & on also. Wind is picking up & clouds are moving fast , East to West.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:11 AM

Thanks Skeet.
Wow, hadn't heard about the 1973 disaster. Lived in So Cal all my life. I am realizing I know nothing about "real weather".
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
It looks to me as it it will not be as bad as the past where many, many people were swept out in the Bay and consumed by the Sharks as they were in 1973.

Skeet

GAWWWDAMMM....That's a relief. How many were there, Skeet. Sure hate to miss the details.
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:14 AM

Mitchman:

I received this message this a.m. from La Paz.

"Hola,
We are all battened down and ready although the latest predictions has Jimena going along the Pacific and coming into land up near Mag bay. We will probably get lots of high wind and rain but not hurricane force. It is anticipated at 11pm tonight. vamos a ver . . .
We had heavy rain yesterday and ended up mopping out. MX construction is not made for rain.
If there's no death and destruction hurricanes can be exciting. Best action we see all year. Although the after mess is a lot of work to clean up.
We just got back from an early morning walk. It was spitting but refreshing. We walked the back streets as the Malecon is covered in muck from the rain and debris yesterday and it is just so slippery."

Hope this helps.

•Life is just one damned thing after another
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:19 AM

Good luck to all in the East Cape, wish I was down there for the hurricane party......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:27 AM

just taking a break from trying to plywood up all our amigo's houses...
gypsy, you now have plywood all over your windows and roof fortified
birdog...got your windows boarded up and stuff moved
nancy....same deal.....the ants have been scurrying around all day...lucky it's overcast

still not many people believe it might be bad...we are thinking about which house to hole up in....got ice for a huge cooler of beer too...
the telegraph office had no money today as the truck wouldnt come because of the storm...dang...wanted to pay the workers

we are pretty ready and if it looks knarly...will evacuate...wish the roof was on our rock rooms

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:34 AM

Shari, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, and thank the ants for us as well. Seriously, if you need a place, stay in our main floor, should be good.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:34 AM

Shari, if the air strip is usable after the storm passes maybe I can fly down with some supplies.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:35 AM

Just back from a quick check of the beach and the marina, which looks like a big mud puddle. The sea spray was so thick that we could not see Palmilla from La Playa. Neighbors have finally started board up.
wind gusting to 20, no rain, road still open although not an easy passage. not as dark as it was.
getting ready for no road, no power, no phone.
I have also weathered many storms and, diver, I too was in the path of Andrew...in Key West. We were helping friends get their shops boarded up and sail boat secured and they closed the road. Of course, they evacuated everyone to Homestead which is where he went ashore. I was in Ruby in the Philippines, Dave and Frederick in St Croix on a boat in the harbor....to name a few that I can remember. I have a healthy respect for their power and take no chances.

Stay safe and smart.

Bob...evacuation might be possible in Fla...where would we go? the roads are already in trouble here and will only get worse. JACK...Flights have been cancelled. If you are supposed to fly down soon, check with your airline.

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:36 AM
You guys are amazing !

Shari, your neighbors are so lucky to have you in the community !

Peace & safety to you and your neighbors, friends, and family.

djh

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by djh]

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:47 AM

Thanks for the thread and the updates, it is so good to know what is going on when you are out of the loop. Hoping for some good rains and minumal wind.
roamin

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 11:49 AM

Any reports out of Todos Santos? I read the posts from Cerritos earlier and I am a little antsy...
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.