ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 10:53 AM
Sending in the Fly Fisherman to help those with PTSD

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:03 PM

I have used Google to translate:

CONSTITUTION, BCS comundeños .- Hundreds of citizens gathered yesterday afternoon on the Boulevard Olachea Agustin Avilés, to join the great march against police abuses committed by members of the Municipal Public Security Bureau.

Carrying various banners that read "Stop police abuse" was tortured citizens Villalejo Miguel Angel Romero, Deputy Municipal Public Security "" Say no to police violence "and" waiver Villalejo "citizens to cry only demanded justice .

The march was joined by dozens of vehicles and motorcyclists carrying legends in the windows of cars, where he said "No to impunity" and "Outside hitter Innocents" event that captured the attention of traders and customers that are located on the main avenue crossing the city.

The march was scheduled at six o'clock, started 20 minutes later, after a patrol of the Municipal Public Security Bureau, came to offer protection to citizens who demonstrated peacefully.

It was in the main square "De Armas Ignacio Zaragoza" which ended the run of the protesters, who expect this action to the mayor, Joel Villegas Ibarra, heed the call of citizenship, as well as several years ago, Dr. Joel Villegas, with local MP, led a similar march in protest against abuses of police forces.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:06 PM

Another of the Articles translated using Google.

No truce crime
Public Safety is now an indispensable element for the development of our nation and the supremacy of institutions, therefore, the Government of the State of Baja California Sur, is due to the claim of men and women who demand an active participation in this purpose, making the State Public Security Secretary an instrument of social and institutional membership, which should generate a synergy that promotes the rule of law and legal culture.

This young institution has endeavored to make their own policies in this field implements and coordinates the Federal Government, forming special police groups, who work in the generation of intelligence, crime prevention and immediate reaction, get on the front line to combat crime in all its manifestations.

Another important aspect is the technological infraestrutucra supports police operations such as data connectivity basesde federal, state and city, plus the creation of the State Center for Confidence Control that allows members to evaluate the state system of public security, complemented by the commission of honor and jusiticia, binomial besides debugging, offers the possibility of adding better and more reliable components has been prepared to serve without hesitation even at the expense of the ultimate sacrifice.

The challenge is great and in proportion to the strong commitment and unavoidable, serve with patriotism and courage, in the interest of Public Safety Baja California Sur and our Republic.

Discipline, Honor and Loyalty.

"No Truce Against Crime."

Attentively

Mr. Lenin Giovani Rodriguez Aguilar

Secretary of Public Safety B.C.S.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:12 PM

Another of the articles translated using Google. It looks like there is public sentiment against the police who are corrupt and this is what we want to support.

■ march against police batterers
■ It is reported the deputy director of public safety
Ciudad Constitución, BCS "Definitely the mayor of Comondú Joel Villegas Ibarra, not hard but it feels thick, as well as having serious charges against him for his relationship with alleged drug traffickers now facing social rejection by the excesses committed by agents public safety. For that reason, this Friday afternoon is calling for a march to denounce these abuses.

It all started on Monday 5 July, when public security officers accompanied a clerk of the court for an eviction diligence on a property located on the road to the ejido 5.

In an abuse of their duties, the municipal police swarmed an outright montonera to beat Ojeda Francisco Higuera Molina and Jorge Luis Espinoza, both well-known characters comundeña society, they are working people and have never had problems with anyone.

Both have already complained to the deputy director of Public Safety Municipal Villalejo Miguel Angel Romero, the use of excessive force, in addition to that caused serious injury.

This happened over a dispute about a land where there is a piedrera, which was legally acquired by the family Ojeda. However with legal tricks, now aims to remove them so they are not willing to allow, as it is a clear injustice.

For that reason, the Ojeda family is calling on citizens to march on the boulevard this Olachea after 6 pm, where he denounced the abuses committed by the municipal authority and will require new consideration of the resignation of the deputy director Michelangelo Romero Villalejo
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 07:14 PM

gnukid,

Thanks for sharing these articles with us. I am sorry for the horrible translatin but one can gather that the community is upset with Police excesses and abuse. We are on the same page with these folks. How best to support and ally with them?

Iflyfish
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 02:37 PM

Flyfish:

I am impressed with your desire to stop ,what you call Abuse and another Country calls "Mordiada".

I would not have taken it so offensive if I had not had so many good Friends in Constitution.

What I as a long time Guest of Baja Sur resent is the complete Audicity of People like you who come to Baja and insist that the People change to your way of thinking __Just for Money>????

People like you, being raised with the Idea of Money being the Number One thing in your life, seem to go to all extremes to get your way and use your Money as the Power.

What happened to Honesty
To Honor

to
Truth

Intergity

On Your Part, Not the Mexicano.

What gives you the Right , to even think , that you can force another Countries people to live as you do and by your Standards

I sincerely hope that one day you will be in the Position of needing a Mexicano Friend.

Skeet.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 04:57 PM

Skeet,

It seems that the people of Ciudad Constitution are themselves taking on the issue of the police corruption in their community. It would appear that my concerns are shared by many Mexicans, including many living with this problem.

I could not wish for better Mexican friends.

Iflyfish
lookingandbuying
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 05:27 PM
Posting on this thread per Dennis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on 7-18-2010 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lookingandbuying
This past weekend I was in TJ and met a gentleman with the State Secretary of Tourism. His name was Arturo Martinez Esquer and he said he covers all of Baja.

It might be a good idea to post this on the Ciudad Constitición thread as well.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46302&pag...

[Edited on 7-18-2010 by DENNIS]

Has any tryed this?

This past weekend I was in TJ and met a gentleman with the State Secretary of Tourism. His name was Arturo Martinez Esquer and he said he covers all of Baja.

Arturo seemed to be a very serious person and was highly motivated to help any American visiting Mexico. They have set-up the 078 number from cell phones that are staffed with people that speak both English and Spanish. We actually tested the 078 process by calling when he was in our presence and it at least seemed that they could be of help to you while visiting Mexico. They know they have a long way to go in correcting the problems within their country and they claim to want to do so, one by one.

I don't know if this current situation being discussed on the board is up the alley of the State Secretariat of Tourism, but if it happened to me, I would at least give them a try. The LAST thing they want is negative things happening while people are visiting Mexico. The other ways to reach Arturo are as follows:

Phone- from U.S. 011 52 (664) 973-0424

E-mail- amartineze@baja.gob.mx

Maybe many think I am naive in trying to fix problems with this approach, but, I figure why not at least attempt to use the resources they have available.

Am so sorry for what happened to this family.

Hopefully, this agency and Aurturo can help with things of this nature.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Skeet,

It seems that the people of Ciudad Constitution are themselves taking on the issue of the police corruption in their community. It would appear that my concerns are shared by many Mexicans, including many living with this problem.

I could not wish for better Mexican friends.

Iflyfish

fishy:
you and dennis are the leaders of the crusading nomads, didn't one of you care enough to go to protest?
is this a case of all bark and no bite?
Dave
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 7-18-2010 at 09:25 PM
Which standards?

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
What gives you the Right , to even think , that you can force another Countries people to live as you do and by your Standards

You mean honesty, honor, truth and integrity?

Those standards?

Or would you consider the Mexican culture incapable?

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 09:39 PM

mtgoat666

You wrote:
"........didn't one of you care enough to go to protest?"

I appreciate the encouragement that you offer however it is against the law for me participate in a protest in Mexico and I respect the laws of Mexico. It is not illegal for me to encourage victims of police extortion to report that crime. Even if I were living in Mexico it would not be illegal for me to encourage American Tourists to report police extortion. This is the policy of the government of both the states of Baja and the Federal Government of Mexico.

If we all do what we can do then Maybe, and it's a big Maybe, this issue will be addressed. I am not holding my breath.

I was responding to the implication in Skeet's email that only meddling American's are concerned about this problem and that honest, hard working Mexican's are not. He also implied that my concern was about the possibility of losing money to police corruption while traveling through CC. I am far more concerned about the loss of revenue that local businesses lose when their police department extorts and intimidates tourists.

This post was intended to respond to Skeet who said the following:

"What I as a long time Guest of Baja Sur resent is the complete Audicity of People like you who come to Baja and insist that the People change to your way of thinking __Just for Money>????" and What gives you the Right , to even think , that you can force another Countries people to live as you do and by your Standards"

I was pointing out in my post that not all Mexicans support police corruption or extortion of Tourists and that the people of Ciudad Constitution are themselves also concerned enough about this problem to be doing something themselves just as I have been doing what I can do.

I hope that the people of CC are successful at eliminating the corruption that they are protesting. That would be very good for them in the long run if it is not too late and if the corruption has not grown out of proportion as it has in many other states in Mexico. For all of us who love Baja, I hope that this is not the case.

I have learned that if one sees graffiti, that the wise thing to do is to eliminate it immediatly, paint over it. If you do not do this then the graffiti often escalates and so does other associated criminal behavior. If not addressed early criminal behavior can become institutionalized and normative.

IflyfishandIbite
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 09:42 PM

ELINVESTIG8R

Please pay the receptionist and schedule another appointment for next week.

Thank you.

Iflyfish
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 7-18-2010 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
mtgoat666

You wrote:

I appreciate the encouragement that you offer however it is against the law for me participate in a protest in Mexico and I respect the laws of Mexico. It is not illegal for me to encourage victims of police extortion to report that crime. Even if I were living in Mexico it would not be illegal for me to encourage American Tourists to report police extortion. This is the policy of the government of both the states of Baja and the Federal Government of Mexico.

If we all do what we can do then Maybe, and it's a big Maybe, this issue will be addressed. I am not holding my breath.

I was responding to the implication in Skeet's email that only meddling American's are concerned about this problem and that honest, hard working Mexican's are not. He also implied that my concern was about the possibility of losing money to police corruption while traveling through CC. I am far more concerned about the loss of revenue that local businesses lose when their police department extorts and intimidates tourists.

This post was intended to respond to Skeet who said the following:

"What I as a long time Guest of Baja Sur resent is the complete Audicity of People like you who come to Baja and insist that the People change to your way of thinking __Just for Money>????" and What gives you the Right , to even think , that you can force another Countries people to live as you do and by your Standards"

I was pointing out in my post that not all Mexicans support police corruption or extortion of Tourists and that the people of Ciudad Constitution are themselves also concerned enough about this problem to be doing something themselves just as I have been doing what I can do.

I hope that the people of CC are successful at eliminating the corruption that they are protesting. That would be very good for them in the long run if it is not too late and if the corruption has not grown out of proportion as it has in many other states in Mexico. For all of us who love Baja, I hope that this is not the case.

I have learned that if one sees graffiti, that the wise thing to do is to eliminate it immediatly, paint over it. If you do not do this then the graffiti often escalates and so does other associated criminal behavior. If not addressed early criminal behavior can become institutionalized and normative.

IflyfishandIbite

Iflyfishinadditiontobeingontherightsideofthemoon-

I commend you for your efforts and your right thinking. You have my support! You know the restrictions of Mexican law and how it applies to non citizens. So, what you are trying to do does not violate the law and yet it is the moral thing to do. I believe you/we can affect change and put an end to this destructive behavior that not only effects foreigners who have to transit the town, but it also effects the economy and self respect of the community.

Keep it up and best of luck!

Tony

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 03:53 AM

Aye-Aye Iflyfish, I'm scheduled for 1:00 PM.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 04:48 AM

Quote:
mtgoat666

You wrote:

I appreciate the encouragement that you offer however it is against the law for me participate in a protest in Mexico and I respect the laws of Mexico.

have you ever heard of civil disobedience?

all bark, no bite.

man up!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 07:09 AM

mtgoat666

You can have the 2:00 right after the person who wants the 1:00. Confidentiality prevents me from mentioning his name. Bring a note pad and some kleenex. Anger is often a cover for saddness and grief.

As to the "manning up" bit. Don't worry, homophobia is normal, based upon ignorance, rejection of those impulses in ones self, and can be overcome.

Never know what you might learn from reading Nomads. I just learned that the fruit of cactus, called Tuna in Mexico, is what is called the prickly pear in the USofA. I ate one once as a kid in California and got a mouth full of those tiny spines and that put me off them till I recently had a cactus fruit margarita, you should try one. They mellow you out and are cheaper than Prozac or Zoloft.

Iflyfish
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 07:51 AM

iflyfishandtypeonmycomputerbecauseiamnotmaneoughtojoininprotestsincuidad :lol:
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 03:30 PM

A friend just sent this asking if I would post it on Nomads. Here it is:

On Tuesday, July 16, my husband and I were on our way to the States. It was about 7:15 a.m. and we were approaching the main part of Constitution. After reading of others’ experiences on the BPE, we agreed that we should be aware of our surroundings and to carefully observe all traffic rules. As we passed the third light we saw a police truck coming from the opposite direction. We saw the driver take a hard look at our truck and I said to Jim, “Get ready for the bite.” It was less then a minute and we could see the flashing lights a block away and then they were behind us, motioning us to pull over. We were waiting for a red light to change and when it did, we turned onto the side street. We had done nothing wrong and, even if we had, they had no time to see anything! Jim got out of the car and put on his shirt and asked “Problema?’ The officer who was driving got out and said, “Yes, infraction.” Jim, still outside the car, said “Oh no!” and waving his finger, added, “No infraction!” The officer approached the car, Jim got back inside, and I pulled out the camera. We went on the offense because we were so outraged at the complete transparency of their attempt to extort money. I told the officer he knew we had done nothing wrong, but he insisted. He mentioned the police station and big problems for us “if we go there,” but we said, “Let’s go!” He told us it was closed and we told him we would go there and wait. We were such a thorn in his side, he finally went back to his partner for a brief consult, then returned to our car and gave back Jim’s license, all the while telling us how he felt, using words I did not understand. I speak enough Spanish to be understood, but from the start he was using unfamiliar words. I believe he was intentionally making it more difficult to be understood. For twenty-five years we have always enjoyed the town, and Jim would stop for Menudo on a regular basis, but until this problem is solved, we won’t be spending money there.

Jim and Liz Wilmarth

Los Barriles
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 03:42 PM

Bill Collector

Thank you very much for this VERY HELPFUL POST! It sounds like you were very successful using the strategy we have been formulating here on NOMADS. We are grateful for all of the input that has helped us generate a formula that WORKS!! Kudos to you for using this approach and telling us how it worked for you. Success breeds success.

If you are stopped by police in Ciudad Constitution and threatened with a ticket for something you did not do then please report the details to:

American Citizen Services

US Consulate General Tijuana

ACSTijuana@state.gov

If you are stopped by a policeman in CC and they try to extort money from you , this approach that has been used successfully to stop this crime.

Come to a complete stop at ALL intersections, look both ways to make sure no pedestrians in cross walks. Follow the 18 mph speed limit. If stopped do the following:
1. stay calm, take your time
2. ask for name and badge number, write these down, do not surrender your drivers license
3. let cop know you are calling Sr. Villalejos, Sub-director de Policia, at 613-100-1910
4. insist that you go to the station NOW and deal with the fine
5. Since the police office is reportedly closed on Sunday, travel thru Ciudad Constitution on M-Sat.
6. remain calm, confident and clear. Follow thru.
7. Drive in the right hand lane and look local, don't make eye contact with a cop.
8. Let every one you know that there is a serious problem with police extortion on the ONLY highway that connects Baja N with Baja S and that each day the city of Ciudad Constitution loses thousands of dollars in lost revenue because of this.

WELL DONE!! I hope others will report their experiences on this thread.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Iflyfish:tumble:
BajaOkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 05:12 PM

Good Job Jim, (Bill Collector) There is nothing worse than being accused by a uniformed officer of something you did not do. This has to stop, enough is enough. Sorry Skeet/Loreto this is wrong and it is not a cultural problem that everyone either from here or elsewhere should ever condone. It is wrong and I hope the local organized protest march this past week did draw attention to this.

Please take care and I look forward to the days when we can stop and shop in Cd. Constiticion without the fear of harassment. However, with what I now know I would not step out of my truck but I am glad all was OK for you.

PS - The "officer" that stopped me spoke perfect English until I questioned him and he changed over to some not understanderble spanish stuff. I do not know much spanish but I do understand enough and it was just for intimidation. This has to stop.
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.