Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  23
Author: Subject: Santa Isabel Found - not joking - nomad wanted
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 05:05 PM

Lou, the short answer is, KINDA-SORTA.
The longer, more correct answer is, NO.
To be able to determine the 3rd parameter (elevation), photo panels must overlap and be shot from 2 angles (stereo coverage). This is always done when using low altitude airplanes to map an area. I believe once elevation is known you can simply "drape" a flat photo onto the known 3-D surface. Just like Elbeau or I drape maps onto the known GE surface we call earth.

(Side note, GPS takes this one level higher to include a 4th parameter (time); this is why a minimum of 4 satellites are requires to calculate where you are. But I digress).

Here is a short intro ... http://www.stereoscopy.com/faq/photogrammetry.html

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Now all of you GoogleEarth experts correct me if I'm misinformed, but Google Earth does NOT give you actual images from different angles as it tilts etc. It just projects the scent by resizing for distance etc. The shadows are from the different angles to the sun, not camera angles. The actual image is flat.

Now if that is true, it is just stretching shadows and colors that makes it appear to let you "see" features.

[Edited on 2011-4-5 by bryanmckenzie]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 05:38 PM

Bryan... you up for a El Volcan trip in April?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
David it looks like Friday April 29 to the wash and camp over night then get an early start Saturday morning.

I'm working around Ken Cooke and his Jeep group. They will be at Gonzaga Bay on Monday the 25th, then meet me at the Turquesa Mine on Tuesday the 26th to do the mine run. Then they are going to LA Bay. They will be at Catavina on the 28th to run into Mission Santa Maria. Bajacat and I will join them. We will come out on the 29th and Bajacat and I are heading to El Marmol and the wash. I've asked Ken to join us too but I don't know if his schedule will allow it. I also suggested he might skip the mine run and hit LA Bay a day early and the mission a day early and then join us at the wash to explore. That would mean getting to the wash on Thursday the 28th a day earlier. Not sure how that might affect Bajacat.

We'll work it all out somehow.
Tom I had already ask for thurs-friday off I don't know if I can change dates... If you want we can leave the SMM trip for another day and just do the Marmol run, that will me a chance to relaxe More In El Rosario...(BAJACACTUS)..

[Edited on 4-5-2011 by BAJACAT]

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 11:05 PM

Sounds like the original plan was getting to El Volcan the afternoon/ evening of Friday the 29th with the hike (where we can't drive) on Saturday the 30th and camp that night and return home Sunday.

I am hoping to make this happen...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 07:11 AM

Thanks Brian and elbeau for the detailed explanations of the terrain/elevation features of GE.

The point I was trying to make is that although the SRTM data creates higher and lower points on a wire frame, the photographic imaged has to be stretched to cover the distortion. The image itself is still from approximately straight down and not from the angel we are projecting.

A side comment - GE and VE images often appear very different for a area because of the shadows from the time of day the picture was taken.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 09:45 AM

Bajacat I think your OK with Thursday and Friday.
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 12:38 PM

Yes, Lou, that's a nice concise way of saying it. I was taught the word "draping" as a catch-all for that adjustment. It's why very often you'll see lakes or oceans seemly going up hillsides (or vice versa).

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that although the SRTM data creates higher and lower points on a wire frame, the photographic imaged has to be stretched to cover the distortion. The image itself is still from approximately straight down and not from the angel we are projecting.
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 01:03 PM

I am. I'd love to make this trip. I could meet you in San Diego & ride together.
However, given the (lack of) work situation, I'm hesitant to commit to diverting time and money for this when I need to be job hunting. Let me think on it a few days.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Bryan... you up for a El Volcan trip in April?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 01:18 PM

Thanks Brian, draping is an appropriate description I think.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the original plan was getting to El Volcan the afternoon/ evening of Friday the 29th with the hike (where we can't drive) on Saturday the 30th and camp that night and return home Sunday.

Yes David, but Tom was saying that maybe the run to th SMM was going to be change to a day before from thu to wends..if it remains the same SMM on thurs exit on friday..drive to el Volcan and hike sat.. Im in

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:

Yes David, but Tom was saying that maybe the run to th SMM was going to be change to a day before from thu to wends..if it remains the same SMM on thurs exit on friday..drive to el Volcan and hike sat.. Im in

Well, if the money thing gets solved, and others are going so we have some fun... I will go down Friday, camp at El Volcan arroyo or just beyond near the white slope (big area to camp) off the La Olvidada road. Hike in if can't drive down the arroyo... camp that night, and return Sunday through Tecate.

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 07:38 PM

I think, that if something is there, somebody should have found it already.. is hard to belive that hasn't been discover, but Im up to the challenge... Hopefully I would not be spook again..when I went down the rd I scrape my front bumper in one of the sharp turns,that happens when you have a full size truck...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:32 PM
EL MARMOL & EL VOLCAN PICS

Since the trip involves being there.. and El Volcan (the cold water geyser) is only 4/10 a mile (2/3 a kilometer) up the arroyo from the road between El Marmol and La Olvidada, I am showing my 2006 pics again plus some never before posted in Arroyo el Volcan.

The Santa Isabel site is down stream from the road about 3 miles.

The first 5 are of the onyx schoolhouse:

The next two are at the mineralized white slope that is just 1/4 mile from the Arroyo el Volcan crossing, along the La Olvidada road... in the background is Arroyo el Volcan going down to the Santa Isabel site:

The next 6 photos are in Arroyo el Volcan driving and walking up to El Volcan geyser (also called the onyx dome)... one of the pools is too deep to see the bottom, and Baja Angel is lying next to it:

Looking up and down the arroyo from where we parked, 0.2 mile from the La Olvidada road:

The next 7 are at El Volcan:

See my silver truck way down the arroyo? That is all we had to walk to get to El Volcan, as we could drive half way to the geyser from the road, in the arroyo in 2006:

The final photo is walking back to the truck looking at the east side cliff of the arroyo and see Baja Angel for scale:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:35 PM

Map:

Image:

Site 'b' in white balloon is elbeau's Santa Isabel site, about 3 miles down the arroyo. El Volcan is 0.4 miles up the arroyo from the road to El Marmol/La Olvidada.

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by David K]

elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Since the trip involves being there.. and El Volcan (the cold water geyser) is only 4/10 a mile (2/3 a kilometer) up the arroyo from the road between El Marmol and La Olvidada, I am showing my 2006 pics again plus some never before posted in Arroyo el Volcan.

Very nice photos, thanks!
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 07:55 AM

Realistically, I'm pretty sure that my interpretations of the GE imagery are overzealous. I've had some u2u's with bryanmckenzie and even though I've posted a lot of objections to what he sees, I'm just being hard-headed. As this plays out, he will likely be proven correct on most points.

On the other hand, the argument for there being year-round water in the area is still pretty solid, and based on the depth of the onyx deposits this water has probably been there for a very, very long time. The question of whether it is too mineralized to live on is a good one though...but let's hold off on any human experimentation of the theory for now...unless it's mcfez :lol:

just kidding man, you're cool.

One way or another, I'll make a trip to the arroyo myself this year. It's just been too fun to study about for me not to go.

I loved that BBC video that TW posted the other day, and one thing in it has peaked my attention. The climate change that has taken place in Baja during the last 15,000 years has been tremendous if they are correct in what they showed. If the majority of the peninsula had pine and oak forests that slowly changed into arid desert during the last 15,000 years, then the Baja residents that they are dating to thousands of years ago might have lived in a significantly different Baja than we know today. I've done a little googleing and haven't come across any climate data one way or the other for the last 15,000 years. Does anybody know if they are correct? and if they are correct, can somebody give any insights about how quickly things changed over those years?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 08:47 AM

Bajacat you shouldn't have any problems going in this time as the road has been graded. I was in there in my GMC. The only problem is that once in the wash we will only be able to drive around the first bend due to rocks in the wash. The first bend is at the top of the yellow marker in the pix above labeled Road to El Marmol 4 miles. That green patch just past it in the middle of the wash is where the rocks are under some heavy grass type vegetation.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 09:52 AM

so what's up with keen is he changing dates to go to MSM.. or it remains the same..I think I will leave really early thursday..the 28th..

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 10:04 AM

His plan is to spent Wednesday night the 27th in LA Bay and Thursday night the 28th at Mission Santa Maria and Friday night at Baja Cactus in El Rosario. You and I can meet him at Santa Ines sometime on Thursday. We'll work out the meeting times etc the week before.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 04:46 PM

Souds, good I will keep checking this thread for info..I hope DK goes with us..or any nomads that would like to acompany us in this crazzy quest..
Elbeu, next time we see ya, you are going to have to buy the Victorias(cerveza), Pacifico's are so overated,(sorry DENNIS)..:lol::lol:

Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.