Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 12:47 PM

Excellent Geoff, thanks for the update and pixs. Wishing them the best.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 01:55 PM

I just love these guys who criticize...you know Justin told me that he came from a basically 24 hour a day computer job with no previous training, walking or hiking. It's not like he did this for a living before. He and Bryan might be slender, but they both lived relatively sedentary lifestyles. It's hard to get off your butts and get out there and walk..especially when you aren't in the best of shape. Especially guys like these that can basically eat whatever they want and stay slim, unlike the rest of us for the most part. That was part of the reason I really commended them for what they are doing. I might walk a mile a day, but I look at it as something, and a personal goal for me. Even when I see disabled people who can hardly walk getting out there and trying, I look at it as positive. Young people today are lazy, and sit in front of their Facebooks all day long. I applaud Justin and Bryan.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
The guys just posted this to facebook with a pic them dressing their foot blisters

"Blisters. Mo fixes his on the side of the highway just south of Salsipuedes. Mine has yet to merit a swaddling. We're now very close to Ensenada. Sun is out for the first time in days but the wind is cold. TELCEL service is pumping 3G strong everywhere we've been. Battery life is another issue with the clouds shading our solar panels..."

tenderfeet!
their first time hiking multi-days, toughness will come with time...

...just reading through this 'adventure' thread now,,,but do you really call their 'goal' of 10 miles a day,,,HIKING???:o:O:biggrin:

.......it'll be interesting to see how these guys are when/if these guys get more than 2 miles from the highway:barf:

[Edited on 3-2-2013 by micah202]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 02:09 PM

....sooo far this epic adventure doesn't show anything of NationalGeographic's interest---2 lardo's walk down populated highway with umteen beer-visits and free meals with nomads!!:O:O:lol:

......this next section will show if there's any real story here!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 02:14 PM

Lardo's...these guys are lean and no fat...I saw them in person...as far as I am concerned, I am enjoying the beautiful scenery and natural beauty shown in the pictures they are taking...National Geographic is more into nature and wilderness then physical fitness....we are not talking about a hiking magazine...I get bored easily and I am fascinated with the wonderful pictures they are taking.
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
micah202, once they left El Rosario for Punta San Antonio and Punta San Carlos they were more than 2 miles from the highway... and will be until they get to El Tomatal/Guerrero Negro area... over 200 miles south!

........good luck to them,,,updates are going to get 'interesting'.
.........are they going to carry and cook their own food now???

Well I guarantee you they won't find much to eat or anything to drink where they are now. Just hope for a safe passage, an injury would devastating.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
...natural beauty shown in the pictures they are taking...National Geographic is more into nature and wilderness then physical fitness....we are not talking about a hiking magazine...I get bored easily and I am fascinated with the wonderful pictures they are taking.

So far the pictures they are posting look to be Instagrams off of an IPhone not high res from a DSLR. That may have something to do with Natgeo. I'll bet the photos published after they finish, by Natgeo, will be very interesting.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 09:03 PM

Today they ended up a few miles northeast of Punta Canoas.....about 40 miles from the nearest highway. So far they have been able to get food and supplies along the way, but this stretch is indeed going to test them. They do have the means to fish if necessary, and also hope to be able to buy seafood and water at some of the fish camps on this leg of the journey.

TampicoTrauma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 10:28 AM

Hola!

I'm new to this site... But I did see Justin and Bryan at Rancho Tampico back on February 13th...

I made them tacos and put them up for the night in my garage... They were on their way the next morning after a breakfast of coffee, eggs, potatoes and pancakes...

That are truly entering "The Land that God has Forgotten"... It's the most gnarly, desolate, inhospitable desert I've ever seen...

I wish them suerte... They're going to need in that country!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 10:34 AM

Without pulling out my Baja Almanac, just where is Rancho Tampico? Thank you... and welcome to Baja Nomad!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TampicoTrauma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 10:41 AM

Were on the dirt road that goes from Santo Tomas to Erindira... South of the Danish Compound... And north of Bahia Almehas... Which is north of Punta Cabras...

We have the signs that say, "Precaucion ChupaCabras"...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:05 AM

Okay, yes.... I got you... I have camped just north of Punta Cabras on Bahia Almejas. It's been many years, however!

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by BajaNomad]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TampicoTrauma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:52 PM

Looks like the Dynamic Duo is at the fish camp at Punta Conoas...

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=FF7DE607DDA6E520&resid=FF7DE607DDA6E520%21248&authkey=AFmnBNoaLOq3MKM" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Let's see if I've got the hang of this Html stuff down still...

David K... You probably saw me camped down there then... I use to camp at the south end of the cliffs... I was camping that spot before the graded gravel road was pushed through for the Baja 1000...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TampicoTrauma

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=FF7DE607DDA6E520&resid=FF7DE607DDA6E520%21248&authkey=AFmnBNoaLOq3MKM" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 03:33 PM

......it's looking like this trip has more for the 'free-loader's guide to Baja',,,than NationalG:lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 03:47 PM

Kinda the way I see it...A few stretches of rough country does not an adventure make...

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 03:49 PM

Let's see you big men get out there and hike 10 miles a day, then you can start talking. You probably couldn't do 2 miles...on the carretera!! What are your qualifications?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Let's see you big men get out there and hike 10 miles a day, then you can start talking. You probably couldn't do 2 miles...on the carretera!! What are your qualifications?

...at that age,I was running 40 miles at a time....~120 miles a week,,,

....I guess for you this is an 'adventure',,doctor-boy???:?:

....have they even slept -outside - yet????,,god forbid!!:no:

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by micah202]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 04:39 PM

Are you getting paid to publiciize this ,Doc? FYI: in the States I run a hunting guide service for upland birds, and walk 3-10 miles per day for about 90 -100 consecutive days per year......And I am 78 years old...Whats the big deal with this walk?

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 04:53 PM

Well I guess then no one can measure up to your qualifications!! Maybe you better go to the Everglades and watch an alligator wrestler if this doesn't float your boat..no I am not getting paid.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Are you getting paid to publiciize this ,Doc? FYI: in the States I run a hunting guide service for upland birds, and walk 3-10 miles per day for about 90 -100 consecutive days per year......And I am 78 years old...Whats the big deal with this walk?
TampicoTrauma
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 04:56 PM

Um well... I did drive from Catavina to Punta Conoas a few years back and it was a good days's drive... Probably 60 miles just to get to the coast and Conoas from Highway 1....

After that we turned south and drove another 120 miles to get to Santa Rosallita... We started going through tires... I was patching tires and we ran low on gasoline even though we had an extra ten gallons on board... We didn't see another living soul for five days DRIVING! We got to the gas station north of Guerrero Negro bouncing on empty...

I wouldn't drive back into that country without a backup vehicle... Much less walk it...

In a vehicle you have an option to walk... When you're on foot your only option is to walk some more...
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.