Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 05:21 PM

The only LiFePO4 batteries presently made in US seem to be the Battle Born small sized ones. But I read Rivian has begun assembling their own LiFePO4 in US, so perhaps they are also making the components. Their new smaller SUV (45,000) is planned on being their best seller by volume after their recent manufacturing cost cutting. Maybe...maybe not. It seems almost everyone is transitioning to LiFePO4 chemistry

Meanwhile, the big Chinese battery giants CATL, BYD and others presently supplying Ford, Toyota, VW and others are building their first Sodium Ion battery plants and producing now. They have less energy density, replace the lithium with sodium , are far cheaper to make from very inexpensive non-polluting byproducts and will be used in the even less expensive EV's coming out soon using them. This technology was ideally suited to NA manufacturing especially for solar storage due to ready access to the materials used, but once again China got the jump on us in R & D and NA let it pass.

[Edited on 6-25-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
The only LiFePO4 batteries presently made in US seem to be the Battle Born small sized ones. But I read Rivian has begun assembling their own LiFePO4 in US, so perhaps they are also making the components. Their new smaller SUV (45,000) is planned on being their best seller by volume after their recent manufacturing cost cutting. Maybe...maybe not. It seems almost everyone is transitioning to LiFePO4 chemistry

Meanwhile, the big Chinese battery giants CATL, BYD and others presently supplying Ford, Toyota, VW and others are building their first Sodium Ion battery plants and producing now. They have less energy density, replace the lithium with sodium , are far cheaper to make from very inexpensive non-polluting byproducts and will be used in the even less expensive EV's coming out soon using them. This technology was ideally suited to NA manufacturing especially for solar storage due to ready access to the materials used, but once again China got the jump on us in R & D and NA let it pass.

Non polluting byproduct? Really?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 07:50 PM

Sodium Carbonate (common washing soda) and metal filings from metal lathing are the primary constituents. We had researched this and considered it for years in batteries but lithium had a bit higher energy density so we went with lithium. Chinese Engineering has boosted the energy density to close to lithium and its far less pollution causing to obtain than the cobalt and lithium used in lithium batteries. Also a safer chemistry, but we knew that decades ago.
Whats really surprising is how fast they could build the plants and start producing these new batteries that they are already installing in their cheapest EV's.

From Wikipedia:
SIBs received academic and commercial interest in the 2010s and early 2020s, largely due to lithium's high cost, uneven geographic distribution, and environmentally-damaging extraction process. An obvious advantage of sodium is its natural abundance,[2] particularly in saltwater. Another factor is that cobalt, copper and nickel are not required for many types of sodium-ion batteries,

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Certainly less polluting than we humanoids!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

Certainly less polluting than we humanoids!

Please explain what that means....
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2024 at 08:51 PM

Between Lithium Ion, LiFePO4, Sodium Ion, Super capacitors and solid state batteries, its impossible to guess where the future of rapid charging high density power storage is going in the next 5 years especially for EVs where weight/energy will become increasingly important.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 06:45 AM

The meaning of "that":

(Webster's) referring to a specific thing previously known, or understood. (example) "I feel "that" I'm communicating with some illiterate first graders here."

Back on topic, the adoption of alternative, renewable non-polluting energy for transportation, utilities, and personal lifestyle has made a remarkable and measurable difference in air quality improvement in Californico. It is now required in Californico that ALL new construction must include solar panels. For the last three months, Californicans have existed on more alternative, non-polluting sources of energy (solar, wind, hydraulic, geothermal, etc.) than on non-renewable sources of energy (gasoline, oil, nuclear, natural gas, etc.) And new renewable sources of energy facilities are being built at a blistering pace! Right now, I am getting 50% of my potable water, including my landscaping with drip irrigation, from a de-sal plant. All new vehicle sales in Caiifornico must be 100% BEVs by 2030. "That" (previously known or understood) is something to cheer about! Baja California has an equal or greater opportunity to achieve the same results if their new environmentalist Presidente puts her mind to it! She could start with the population centers - Tijuana/Ensenada, Mexicali, La Paz, and Los Cabos - as a beginning.

[Edited on 6-25-2024 by oxxo]
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 08:02 AM

I returned home from a work project in Palm Springs on this last Sunday evening. My drive was 2.25 hours. My BEV lied to me with its predicted results to reach my programmed destination. I actually arrived home 1 minute earlier than predicted, but I arrived with 32% of electrons left in my batteries rather than the 37% predicted at the start - I did run into some unexpected headwinds from the West, that effected all vehicles whether BEV, ICE, motorcycle, or horse and buggy (they must have been lost Amish, but I swear I saw a goat whiping that horse into a frenzy!!). I was driving westward into a setting sun which could have been very tiring. But I had the car on "driver assisted auto pilot", and with NINE cameras placed inconspicuously around the car, the car was just keying off the lane markings. I was attentive but relaxed as I could focus my eyes on something other than the setting sun for 100% of my drive. Self-driving has a way to go before it meets NHSTB Level 5 standards, but it is 100% better through no extra cost monthly, OTA, updates than when I purchased it 6 years ago. Just think what I can do with that car in Baja, once additional Superchargers are installed on Hwy 1. Seriously, it automatically will brake for cows in the middle of the road! (don't ask me how I know). C'mon Madame Presidente, let's git'er done!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 08:09 AM

The meaning of "that":

(Webster's) referring to a specific thing previously known, or understood. (example) "I feel "that" I'm communicating with some illiterate first graders here."

Back on topic, the adoption of alternative, renewable non-polluting energy for transportation, utilities, and personal lifestyle has made a remarkable and measurable difference in air quality improvement in Californico. It is now required in Californico that ALL new construction must include solar panels. For the last three months, Californicans have existed on more alternative, non-polluting sources of energy (solar, wind, hydraulic, geothermal, etc.) than on non-renewable sources of energy (gasoline, oil, nuclear, natural gas, etc.) And new renewable sources of energy facilities are being built at a blistering pace! Right now, I am getting 50% of my potable water, including my landscaping with drip irrigation, from a de-sal plant. All new vehicle sales in Caiifornico must be 100% BEVs by 2030. "That" (previously known or understood) is something to cheer about! Baja California has an equal or greater opportunity to achieve the same results if their new environmentalist Presidente puts her mind to it! She could start with the population centers - Tijuana/Ensenada, Mexicali, La Paz, and Los Cabos - as a beginning.

[Edited on 6-25-2024 by oxxo]

ok, so you cant explain your "less polluting byproducts" statement. Lets stick to "feeling good" about saying we are environmentally conscientious and make fun of those that genuinely ask how something is going to make a positive difference.

EV's have positive and negative impacts on the environment. But we should be honest about both.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 08:29 AM

If the governments allow prices to fall and the most efficient, most durable batteries into the cars sold in NA, there won't be a need for mandates. The people will flock to EV's as they have in Europe. If they continue to protect the vehicles presently being manufactured or allowed without huge tariffs for sale, the transition will be a lot slower.
It's totally in their power to drive change.
At present, the governments want to mandate the citizens pay higher prices and fail to get the highest possible value for their investments, and this applies to solar panels and storage batteries as well. They have to decide whats more important, having the next 4 years of power for themselves or whats best for the country as a whole

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 08:47 AM

"ok, so you cant explain your "less polluting byproducts" statement."

That was my statement about the newer Sodium Ion batteries replacing the Lithium Ion batteries and what they use internally. Sodium is a very non-polluting and common element to obtain as a replacement for Lithium and cobalt which both cause a lot of damage in mining. The trade off at present is slightly heavier batteries (not a big issue in solar and wind storage batteries) and is being improved on with further developments, mainly in China and India for EV's.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 08:47 AM

I returned home from a work project in Palm Springs on this last Sunday evening. My drive was 2.25 hours. My BEV lied to me with its predicted results to reach my programmed destination. I actually arrived home 1 minute earlier than predicted, but I arrived with 32% of electrons left in my batteries rather than the 37% predicted at the start - I did run into some unexpected headwinds from the West, that effected all vehicles whether BEV, ICE, motorcycle, or horse and buggy (they must have been lost Amish, but I swear I saw a goat whiping that horse into a frenzy!!). I was driving westward into a setting sun which could have been very tiring. But I had the car on "driver assisted auto pilot", and with NINE cameras placed inconspicuously around the car, the car was just keying off the lane markings. I was attentive but relaxed as I could focus my eyes on something other than the setting sun for 100% of my drive. Self-driving has a way to go before it meets NHSTB Level 5 standards, but it is 100% better through no extra cost monthly, OTA, updates than when I purchased it 6 years ago. Just think what I can do with that car in Baja, once additional Superchargers are installed on Hwy 1. Seriously, it automatically will brake for cows in the middle of the road! (don't ask me how I know). C'mon Madame Presidente, let's git'er done!

Does your self-driving avoid potholes and missing road? (My eyes are always looking for missing shoulder, those occasional gaps in fog line, when fog line is present). Does your tesla have a spare tire?

Teslas don't come with spare tire, do they provide sat phone to call for tire change anywhere along la baja? How long to get a tire change if you get a flat in pothole in catavina?

I used to get flats frequently with AT P metric tires. Now that i got truck tires i gave not had a flat in several years… even hitting the occasional pothole at 50 mph!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 09:01 AM

Pothole and Tope management is already available in the NIO in China with 4d sensors. A huge many times faster modern improvement on the old Citroen hydraulic systems that allowed them to drive down the freeway with three wheels. Its only a matter of time before some NA manufacturer copies this for both EV's and IC vehicles.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 09:52 AM

Pothole and Tope management is already available in the NIO in China with 4d sensors. A huge many times faster modern improvement on the old Citroen hydraulic systems that allowed them to drive down the freeway with three wheels. Its only a matter of time before some NA manufacturer copies this for both EV's and IC vehicles.

Citroen ami looks cool for a neighborhood runabout

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Does your self-driving avoid potholes and missing road?

YES.

Quote:
Does your tesla have a spare tire?

NO. Many ICE cars don't come with a spare tire today. Are you keep'n up goat, Keep'n up? There is a hatch below the trunk in a Tesla for a donut tire if you feel the need for it. In 70+K miles, I have never had a flat.

Quote:
Teslas don't come with spare tire,

If you already know that, why are you asking me that question? Don't be a silly burro goat.

Quote:
do they provide sat phone to call for tire change anywhere along la baja?

What car mfg, provides a Sat phone as standard equipment? Did your buggy come with a Sat phone? I have a Sat phone and I purchased it myself.

Quote:
How long to get a tire change if you get a flat in pothole in catavina?

I don't know, I've never had a flat in Catavina. But you obviously know because you have a flat there with your "truck tires." Mira, if I ever had a flat in Catavina, I wouldn't be a lazy burro goat and just pull my donut spare tire out and change it myself.

AIRLESS TIRES ON THE HORIZON FOR TESLA

https://electrek.co/2024/06/25/tesla-talks-use-michelins-air...

Advantages: no flats ever, lighter and more efficient, replaceable tread, and "their biggest impact is expected to be environmental by significantly reducing tire scraps."

Disadvantages: Perhaps more expensive initially but less expensive in the long run.

"If you can have new tire technologies that enable better structural integrity or replaceable tire surfaces, you can improve the already positive impact that EVs have on the environment."
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 05:31 PM

BYD planning huge EV plant in Mexico...sales surging in Latin America, mainly Brazil:
https://electrek.co/2024/06/21/byd-huge-mexico-ev-plant-deal...

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 06:20 PM

BYD planning huge EV plant in Mexico...sales surging in Latin America, mainly Brazil:
https://electrek.co/2024/06/21/byd-huge-mexico-ev-plant-deal...

What is unclear to me is, will vehicles built in Mexico, whether BYD or Tesla, be exempt from US tariffs?

I wish BYD well. The more BEVs we get on the road in Canada, US, and Mexico will be a positive impact on climate change.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 06:45 PM

At this point, any BYD coming through Mexico will have a 100% tariff in the US, 38% in Canada, but will be tariff free in Mexico. Election may alter that. Here is the latest response from the present administration.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-tariffs-ev-china-mexico-tai...

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 06:54 PM

If I remember right any Tesla built in Mexico was also threatened with tariffs going to the US. As long as they continue manufacturing in Texas, they should be okay as long as they don't use the LiFePO4 or Sodium Ion batteries.

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by JDCanuck]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 08:15 PM

Biden slapped a 100% tarriff on chinese EVs. And a 25% tarriff on a lot of chinese EV components.
And the EU slapped tarriffs fo 17 to 38 percent on chinese EVs or EV components.
EU and gringo car makers are going to grind down china, trade war is on!
Super warrior Biden is going to win the war before Nov 5 :bounce: (consistent with history which shows usa econ performance is stronger when dems hold white house)

Does NAFTA allow usa to impose crazy high tariffs on mexican EVs and EV components?

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.