Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  23
Author: Subject: Santa Isabel Found - not joking - nomad wanted
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Bajacat you shouldn't have any problems going in this time as the road has been graded. I was in there in my GMC. The only problem is that once in the wash we will only be able to drive around the first bend due to rocks in the wash. The first bend is at the top of the yellow marker in the pix above labeled Road to El Marmol 4 miles. That green patch just past it in the middle of the wash is where the rocks are under some heavy grass type vegetation.

Tom, is that (end of drivable arroyo) out-of-sight of the road... ie. will our gear not be seen from the road when we hike down to Santa Isabel? If I am able to get my Tacoma over those first rocks, are there more or would we be able to drive close to Santa Isabel site?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Souds, good I will keep checking this thread for info..I hope DK goes with us..or any nomads that would like to acompany us in this crazzy quest..
Elbeu, next time we see ya, you are going to have to buy the Victorias(cerveza), Pacifico's are so overated,(sorry DENNIS)..:lol::lol:

Speaking of VICTORIA!!!:

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 08:02 PM

DK I don't think you can see the rock section from the road but I didn't go up there to make sure. We need to check out the rocks more closely to see if there is a way around. I don't think there is for a truck, MC yes, but maybe around the side. If so we could go another 1/2 to 1 mile maybe more.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
DK I don't think you can see the rock section from the road but I didn't go up there to make sure. We need to check out the rocks more closely to see if there is a way around. I don't think there is for a truck, MC yes, but maybe around the side. If so we could go another 1/2 to 1 mile maybe more.

Okay Tom... great... Looks as of tonight I am going... have a passenger...

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 07:50 AM

"Pacifico's are so overated" WHAAAAT??? Victoria is better? This subject deserves a thread of its own. I must know the truth.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 08:05 AM

I'm still thinking about it - I would come via Coco's Corner and bring a quad to see where I could get with it. Meet up with the crew at ? Full size Bronco w/trailer for quad so probably no M. Sta, Maria. but interested in lost mission area and Tom's mine road.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 09:38 AM

Lou if you can bring a quad that would be great. We could make you the pack mule.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Pacifico's are so overated" WHAAAAT??? Victoria is better? This subject deserves a thread of its own. I must know the truth.

LOL... Cindi, it is very close to Pacifico.... maybe a bit more 'character'. In Vista, there is a billboard advertising Victoria beer, so look for it in San Diego liquor stores or Mexican markets. Otherewise, the photos above were of Victorias purchased in El Rosario. Ed serves it at Baja's Best B & B in El Rosario, too.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I'm still thinking about it - I would come via Coco's Corner and bring a quad to see where I could get with it. Meet up with the crew at ? Full size Bronco w/trailer for quad so probably no M. Sta, Maria. but interested in lost mission area and Tom's mine road.

That would be great Lou! I hope you come to El Volcan!!:bounce:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
hey check my "WHAT NOMADS DRINK , THREAD"..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Lou if you can bring a quad that would be great. We could make you the pack mule.

Got that right Tom. It's a oldie but a goodie - Honda 4trax,

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 03:27 PM

Yah, Lou can haul the cooler:yes::!::cool: 3 to 4 miles is a long walk in a sandy or rocky arroyo.. and that is just one way!

elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Tom, is that (end of drivable arroyo) out-of-sight of the road... ie. will our gear not be seen from the road when we hike down to Santa Isabel? If I am able to get my Tacoma over those first rocks, are there more or would we be able to drive close to Santa Isabel site?

There are some tread marks that start to head towards the arroyo farther North. They either end or just can't be seen in GE after a bit, but considering the ground they already cover, perhaps you could push farther and get to the arroyo very close to the site.

Of course, things like this look easy from a birds-eye-view but might be impassible on the ground...but perhaps it's worth a try?

KML File with more detail

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 05:54 PM

The point where the track ends and the start of you're measure is at 2025ft elevation

The east end where you're 1 mile measure ends is at 1780ft.

That's a drop of 245 ft in that mile, so it doesn't sound very easy to me.

Where the drivable (possibly) track splits, it is 2206 ft.

(Altitudes are from SRTM Height data, World 3 sec. from USGS)

No Bad Days

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 06:20 PM

Gang, Im steping out of this one. I just got the coute from 4wheelparts in Chula Vista, they are replacing the front shocks for Rancho 9000 XL(7 adjustables settings)(I kill my shocks and my trip from la Bocana to Bahia Asuncion on last March, that rd is as bad as Gonzaga-Puertesitos,and my last trip to Diablo canyon in San Felipe dind't help much ither, that road is bad too.).. also lower Arm bushings, the problems is they can align the truck with all the worn out bushings and parts, I was ask if I off road the truck, I told them hell yea,allover Baja..I guess Baja is finally geting me back.My truck is a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 in this is the first time I got to expend money on the suspension,(not counting when I lift it the truck 6"),it has 127,000 miles, a thousand of those miles are in BAJA,so right now money is tight..The total bill comes to almost $800.But I will have warranty on labor, parts and shocks...and alignment also.. so sorry guys unlease a miracle happens as today Im not going.My truck is going into the shop this friday @ 9:00AM
Up to this Date I have replace this items in my truck
3 broken front retaining bolts @ $35 a piece dealer only
left front wheelhub housing(wheelbearings)@ $230 Autoquest
and this Friday 2 Rancho 9000 XL shocks @ 125 each
set of lower control arms bushings @ $65 FABTECH
broken right side maniful, replace both sides @ $ 530 FIRESTONE
I guess is not bad for a daily driver plus weekend truck, Bajarig ect, ect.
Good luck gang, I hope things change for me so I can go with you guys...
I was told by the tech, that is the price to pay when you lift a truck, but I don't care because I also feel the pain at the pump, those 35"tires kill alot gas...
so if any of you have a small car for sell u2u me... I need to save money an gas, so I can go on my Baja trips............................

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
The point where the track ends and the start of you're measure is at 2025ft elevation

The east end where you're 1 mile measure ends is at 1780ft.

That's a drop of 245 ft in that mile, so it doesn't sound very easy to me.

Where the drivable (possibly) track splits, it is 2206 ft.

(Altitudes are from SRTM Height data, World 3 sec. from USGS)

Yikes. That's a pretty big drop.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 10:20 PM

I have been to the end of the road you lined going north, parallel to Arroyo el Volcan... In our short one day time for this, staying in the arroyo would be the fastest... That is real rough country!

Jose, sorry that the Dodge is costing you... it has served you well! Have you gotten any input from other off road shops besides 4 Wheel Parts?

Perhaps there is still someway you can join us?

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by David K]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 07:46 AM

Jose get your truck fixed. There will be many more times for Baja in the future. I do feel your pain on the repairs. I took my GMC to pre-run the Baja 1000 course from San Ignacio south to La Paz last year. Being a seasoned off roader that knows everything I dis-connected my anti-sway bar, BIG MISTAKE. I can't say it caused all the problems but probably most. 4 ball joints, 1 front axle and 1 CV joint, two shocks and a few other things and I'm ready to go and the anti-sway bar stays connected. Jeeps do it all the time but I don't thing a Chevy/GMC full size truck with IFS should.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 07:19 PM

TW, that was i was told a truck with IFS plus lift kit it will eat all this
parts in no time..Im lucky that I don't have to replace my ball joints, but will be next...if sometime comes up I will let you know..

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 06:59 AM

OK... with a couple weeks to go, how about a roll call on who (thinks) they are going to Arroyo El Volcan for a close up look at elbeau's lost mission of Santa Isabel site?

TW
bajalou

Ken Cooke... don't you want to see how far your Jeep Rubicon can drive down the arroyo over the rocks???

[Edited on 4-16-2011 by David K]

Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.