BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
At this point, any BYD coming through Mexico will have a 100% tariff in the US, 38% in Canada, but will be tariff free in Mexico. Election may alter that. Here is the latest response from the present administration.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-tariffs-ev-china-mexico-tai...

Well, that article was as clear as mud!

I don't agree with the high 100% tariffs on Chinese products that will reduce greenhouse gases....by either party. The public should not be used as a tool to protect the US Labor Unions at the expense of higher consumer prices and lower environmental standards. I still feel that Californico should ignore Federal policies and import those Chinese alternative energy products at around 10% tariff payable to the US Govt. Or better yet, give China a sweetheart deal on a factory site to build the BYDs in Californico and relax State immigration policy to allow Chinese workers in, if necessary.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-25-2024 at 10:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
At this point, any BYD coming through Mexico will have a 100% tariff in the US, 38% in Canada, but will be tariff free in Mexico. Election may alter that. Here is the latest response from the present administration.

I don't agree with the high 100% tariffs on Chinese products that will reduce greenhouse gases....by either party. The public should not be used as a tool to protect the US Labor Unions at the expense of higher consumer prices and lower environmental standards. I still feel that Californico should ignore Federal policies and import those Chinese alternative energy products at around 10% tariff payable to the US Govt. Or better yet, give China a sweetheart deal on a factory site to build the BYDs in Californico and relax State immigration policy to allow Chinese workers in, if necessary.

Oxxy,
What’ya smokin? States cant set their own tarriffs and own immigration laws. Tarriffs and immigration laws are federal matters. Would be chaos if individual states set their own trade taxes and immigration laws, like they set their abortion laws.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 03:52 AM

The only US based new battery tech at present I am aware of is Quantumscape solid state batteries being developed in California. Northvolt is a leader in Sodium Ion and LiFePO4 batteries in Sweden and is building a huge LiFePO4 battery plant in Quebec. Canada has paid Northvolt 7.1 billion so far to locate there and their plant is already under sabotage attacks by eco-terrorists. I have no knowledge of what the new State subsidized battery plants in the US will be producing, but for now, China, other south Asian countries and India are the leaders outside of NA in Solar, EV and battery manufacturing.
Mexico is the only country of the three that seems to be attracting new large EV plants without paying big subsidies to get them here. They have promised to provide the infrastructure and have already invested in it for the planned Tesla Giga factory. This is putting new strain on the USMCa trade agreement.

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 06:45 AM

I don't agree I still feel that Californico should ignore Federal policies and import those Chinese alternative energy products at around 10% tariff payable to the US Govt. Or better yet, give China a sweetheart deal on a factory site to build the BYDs in Californico and relax State immigration policy to allow Chinese workers in, if necessary.

The most absurd thing on BN in a looong time.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 07:11 AM

Overall I think this is playing out positively for the Mexico economy and the adoption of EVs in this country. Any new tech much cheaper EVs will be available to residents here at much lower cost, as the EV Manufacturers are encouraged but not subsidized to build manufacturing plants. The supporting newest tech battery storage plants to feed them will also be built here for shipment to other Latin American countries. Mexico's renewable power infrastructure(mainly solar) will be funded by the new plants and there will be a significant growth in higher paid jobs near the US border.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 07:29 AM

BYD (BYD Auto, their American subsidy) did years back build an electric bus manufacturing plant in Lancaster California that had rapidly growing orders placed for them. They just completed a shipment to Mexico of 50 Electric buses, built by unionized US workers for export. The government's response was to subsidize a competing plant for electric buses that has now disappeared. In Canada, the Federal government took the same tactics by publicly subsidizing a new competing electric bus plant to compete with NFI and their widely in demand electric buses in a politically desirable region. NFI consequently lost orders and was forced to sell at reduced prices to compete with a previously non-existent heavily subsidized manufacturer.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 08:02 AM

Overall I think this is playing out positively for the Mexico economy .........The supporting newest tech battery storage plants to feed them will also be built here for shipment to other Latin American countries. Mexico's renewable power infrastructure(mainly solar) will be funded by the new plants and there will be a significant growth in higher paid jobs near the US border.

I agree, and the US will be caught flat footed as a world leader in this technology. And this US strategy will hurt the Union Labor coalition as those jobs move to Mexico. It is a lose/lose proposition for the US and its constituents' interests.

Since Californico is the 5th largest economy in the world, it has a lot of leverage in the US economy. I expect that Californico, as a State that could be a viable, independent Nation in terms of its economy, may start putting pressure on the Federal Govt. with regards to China moving into Mexico (I can see Ensenada area with its deep port as an enticing option for China with skilled labor from the San Diego/Chula Vista area commuting via a Metro line on a daily basis), to protect Californico's status of its State economy. Other States, like Texas and Florida in particular, have had some success in ignoring Federal mandates with regards to immigration and other social and health issues, both practically and in the Courts. It is logical that Californico can do the same with regards to imports, tariffs, and immigration, if it decides to play hardball about unreasonable Chinese tariffs to protect US Labor Unions. Somebody else can fight the trade war, I'm getting to old for that kind of political and financial nonsense.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 08:24 AM

Overall I think this is playing out positively for the Mexico economy .........The supporting newest tech battery storage plants to feed them will also be built here for shipment to other Latin American countries. Mexico's renewable power infrastructure(mainly solar) will be funded by the new plants and there will be a significant growth in higher paid jobs near the US border.

I agree, and the US will be caught flat footed as a world leader in this technology. And this US strategy will hurt the Union Labor coalition as those jobs move to Mexico. It is a lose/lose proposition for the US and its constituents' interests.

Since Californico is the 5th largest economy in the world, it has a lot of leverage in the US economy. I expect that Californico, as a State that could be a viable, independent Nation in terms of its economy, may start putting pressure on the Federal Govt. with regards to China moving into Mexico (I can see Ensenada area with its deep port as an enticing option for China with skilled labor from the San Diego/Chula Vista area commuting via a Metro line on a daily basis), to protect Californico's status of its State economy. Other States, like Texas and Florida in particular, have had some success in ignoring Federal mandates with regards to immigration and other social and health issues, both practically and in the Courts. It is logical that Californico can do the same with regards to imports, tariffs, and immigration, if it decides to play hardball about unreasonable Chinese tariffs to protect US Labor Unions. Somebody else can fight the trade war, I'm getting to old for that kind of political and financial nonsense.

California is a STATE. You realize what the UNITED states is, right?
Break off into a small country and ultimately become another Ukraine or Hong Kong. Without military strength, idealism gets killed off by dictatorships.

I would counsel you to maintain perspective on safety/security being a bigger priority than the push for cheap electric cars.

Electric cars wont save the planet. Definitely not worth the fight you are proposing.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 08:33 AM

Tesla has a massive battery plant northeast of Reno Nevada.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tesla+battery+plant+nevada&...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 08:47 AM
Solid state and LFP Batteries

Solid state batteries – From a Google search
https://www.ecolithiumbattery.com/top-10-solid-state-battery...
CATL China
BYD China
LG Chem Korea
Panasonic Japan
Quantum Scape USA, CA
Solid Power USA, CO
Wellon China
QingTao China
Ampcera USA AZ
ProLigium FRANCE

ProLogium Technology (UK company) is currently the world's only solid-state battery manufacturer
that has reached mass production and continues to inspire global battery innovation towards a fully
electric, sustainable future.
Mentioned solid state companies
QuantumScape (CA) said it has begun to ship the initial trial version of a prototype battery cell to
Customers
Other
Northvolt sodium-ion batteries
=== ===
What about LFP batteries?
China currently houses the largest manufacturers of LFP batteries, including BYD
and CATL, which supply Tesla.
Others in the USA that make LFP batteries
American Battery Factory (ABF) USA UT
Wildcat Discovery Technologies ( USA CA): LFP cathodes
LG Energy Solution and CATL/Ford (China) building LFP factories in USA
FREYR Battery (Norway): A Norwegian battery startup that plans to build a Giga America battery plant in Coweta County, Georgia
Tesla/Panasonic now tooling up production for LFP batteries in USA CA

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by PaulW]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 09:05 AM

Listening to a good podcast from Pivot, called future of travel: is it Buum or bus time for EV‘s?

I’ll try posting the link later, but if you just search for pivot in your podcast service, you will find it. EV adoption (new sales) is at 9.1% currently.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 09:21 AM

Thanks Paul: That took a lot of searching. But I think Quantum Scape is in California not Canada. They have been somewhat disappointing and their Solid State batteries for EV's in partnership with VW keeps getting pushed ahead. But it looks to me like Solid States are the most equally advanced globally and may be the best bet of catch up in NA. Of further note: Rivian just got a huge additional investment from VW with promises of shared technology and manufacturing prowess.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

I would counsel you to maintain perspective on safety/security being a bigger priority than the push for cheap electric cars.

As we move to smaller cars, larger cars are a danger. Larger cars and trucks should have mandatory speed and acceleration limiters to make them less dangerous, just like a lot of commercial trucks now have speed limiters. :light::light::light::light::light:

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Tesla has a massive battery plant northeast of Reno Nevada.

Yes, they do, in partnership with Panasonic. And note in the post by @PaulW, that Panasonic, a Japanese company, has advanced the Solid State battery technology. Tesla has been traditionally very private on most (but not all) of their future projects. It would not surprise me that Tesla and Panasonic are well advanced in the research and development of Solid State batteries for production and deployment, at their Reno plant, in Tesla's BEVs. Only time will tell.

Californico has the largest deployment, by State, of BEVs in the currently dis-United States. All the BEVs here have made an almost immediate and significant difference in greenhouse gases generated and the consequent almost immediate and significant improvement in the air quality. Regardless, ICE vehicle new car sales will be banned in Californico after 2030 as a World leader in addressing climate change. And all the other dis-United States will follow our lead, eventually, in a race to be a deplorable last to be United.

To get this back on Topic, Mexico (Baja California) has proven to be more progressive than half the dis-United States by electing an Environmentalist as Presidente and by embracing BYD as a significant partner in making its economy grow by leaps and bounds.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 11:01 AM

I have a question for others. What is presently preventing you from buying a modern, cheaper, far less environmentally damaging EV available now in Mexico? Cost to end of life, performance, durability, range, or recharging time?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 11:01 AM

Yes, they do, in partnership with Panasonic. And note in the post by @PaulW, that Panasonic, a Japanese company, has advanced the Solid State battery technology. Tesla has been traditionally very private on most (but not all) of their future projects. It would not surprise me that Tesla and Panasonic are well advanced in the research and development of Solid State batteries for production and deployment, at their Reno plant, in Tesla's BEVs. Only time will tell.

Part of the reason we bought an ICE vehicle last year is that the battery tech is not yet mature. I would hate to buy a EV car now with intention of keeping it for 10 years and find out is worthless batt tech, replaced by better tech in 5 years.
At least with ICE motos i know the tech is mature and wont be worthless in 5 years.

Woke!

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Part of the reason we bought an ICE vehicle last year is that the battery tech is not yet mature. I would hate to buy a EV car now with intention of keeping it for 10 years and find out is worthless batt tech, replaced by better tech in 5 years.
At least with ICE motos i know the tech is mature and wont be worthless in 5 years.

Kinda like buying an XT computer just before the AT's and even faster more capable models came out. I can understand that one. Improvements are coming so rapidly, the longer you can wait, the better the tech you will get.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 11:31 AM

As we move to smaller cars, larger cars are a danger. Larger cars and trucks should have mandatory speed and acceleration limiters to make them less dangerous, just like a lot of commercial trucks now have speed limiters.

FINALLY! something we can agree on @Devil Goat. But I would take it further by requiring Speed Limiters and Following Distance on ALL vehicles including motorcycles (of course there would have to be some concession for emergencies). On my Tesla, while on Driver Assisted Auto Pilot, the speed is preset to the posted speed limit and following distance is preset according to the speed the car is traveling (for example, the speed limit may be 65 mph on a section of HWY 101 but traffic is backed up for whatever reason and cars are moving only 10 mph, the following distance is closer based on the 10 mph speed rather than the posted 65, which would be farther)

To further complicate things, Semi-trucks often travel on the freeways at 65-70 mph even though it is clearly posted that the speed limit for trucks on the freeway is 55 mph (privately owned Semi's don't have speed limiters, even if a branded truck). They do this because most truck drivers are paid by the mile traveled rather than the time traveled. Therefore drivers can make more per hour, the quicker they can travel that distance! All of this is being addressed by Tesla with their production BEV Semi-Truck which we are now seeing occasionally on Californico freeways (AWESOME!) Eventually, when Tesla is able to develop their Full Self Driving concept to Level 5 NHSTB approval, we will see these trucks without drivers and set to travel at 55 mph on the freeways because the driver is taken out of the cost equation (currently the Tesla Semi does have a real driver). Once again, the Teamster Union (truck drivers) have shot themselves in the foot and are working themselves out of a job!

Getting this back on Topic, I welcome self-driving trucks on Hwy 1 in Baja. Every time I pass by the roadside monument, on Hwy 1, to "Hector" that looks like the cab of a Semi, I send him fare travels and look forward to the day when this kind of carnage can be minimized, especially if that carnage is me!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 11:45 AM

As we move to smaller cars, larger cars are a danger. Larger cars and trucks should have mandatory speed and acceleration limiters to make them less dangerous, just like a lot of commercial trucks now have speed limiters.

FINALLY! something we can agree on @Devil Goat. But I would take it further by requiring Speed Limiters and Following Distance on ALL vehicles including motorcycles (of course there would have to be some concession for emergencies). On my Tesla, while on Driver Assisted Auto Pilot, the speed is preset to the posted speed limit and following distance is preset according to the speed the car is traveling (for example, the speed limit may be 65 mph on a section of HWY 101 but traffic is backed up for whatever reason and cars are moving only 10 mph, the following distance is closer based on the 10 mph speed rather than the posted 65, which would be farther)

To further complicate things, Semi-trucks often travel on the freeways at 65-70 mph even though it is clearly posted that the speed limit for trucks on the freeway is 55 mph (privately owned Semi's don't have speed limiters, even if a branded truck). They do this because most truck drivers are paid by the mile traveled rather than the time traveled. Therefore drivers can make more per hour, the quicker they can travel that distance! All of this is being addressed by Tesla with their production BEV Semi-Truck which we are now seeing occasionally on Californico freeways (AWESOME!) Eventually, when Tesla is able to develop their Full Self Driving concept to Level 5 NHSTB approval, we will see these trucks without drivers and set to travel at 55 mph on the freeways because the driver is taken out of the cost equation (currently the Tesla Semi does have a real driver). Once again, the Teamster Union (truck drivers) have shot themselves in the foot and are working themselves out of a job!

Getting this back on Topic, I welcome self-driving trucks on Hwy 1 in Baja. Every time I pass by the roadside monument, on Hwy 1, to "Hector" that looks like the cab of a Semi, I send him fare travels and look forward to the day when this kind of carnage can be minimized, especially if that carnage is me!

An embrace of government control and communism/socialism. Awesome!

An electric car in San Francisco or LA makes a bit more sense than one in Baja. Definitely limited usefulness in Baja for an EV

[Edited on 6-26-2024 by Tioloco]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 12:04 PM

Tioloco: If the Rivian truck with all its off-road capabilities were both cheaper and had a much longer range would you consider it for Baja?

Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.