Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:00 AM

Just got off phone with Marina de La Paz (11:55 MST) and they reported no damage. Our boat is still afloat and fine. Yaaaaa.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:03 AM

The 1100 PDT coordinates of the eye on Wunderground show John veering more to the west on a course more west than north. At 1100 John was inland about 13 miles over the mountains east of Isla Del Ispiritu Santo.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:07 AM

That was my thought also for the last 30 min, watched John turning towards Pacific Coast. Seems Mulege will be spared!!Hope so!Have a friend there I'm worried about.
L

jettygirl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:13 AM

Great news Jack ... thanks for the update.
How did the town fair?

\" If your lucky enough to live by the sea .....
Your lucky enough\"
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:16 AM
John's Track

FARASHA - Since John rounded the Cape I have been plotting the coordinates of the eye on a nautical chart as soon as they have been posted. It seems that the analysis of the weather experts in their advisories and discussion trails the data by 10 or 20 hours.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:26 AM

11:20 Saturday

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:42 AM

I heard John Ireland on the radio today (Let`s talk Hookup). John owns a fishing resort, Rancho Leonero on the East Cape.
Highlights of what he said-- It hit about 7:45 PM local time. The eye passed over the ranch and for 45 minutes the wind was calm. He reported wind gust of 150 mph. He said the ranch wasn`t damaged too bad and if he gets electricity, things will be up and running in a week or sooner. His house was damaged. He had a picture window, 50mm thick blown out. He had 2 solid oak doors, 1,100 lbs each blown off their hinges. Said nearly all power poles are down, even the concrete ones.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:45 AM

hea kate i neeed to get a copy of that map from tj to cabo i can save a lot of time and gas at only 400 miles:lol::lol::lol:

jerry and judi
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 11:53 AM

Good news from San Jose area. This from Judie's sister this morning regarding Buzzards which is 11 miles south of our house:

I tried to call Judie and could not get thru, but 10 minutes later she called me. The connection was bad . Before it broke up she got this much in. The storm went east of them. NO DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AT ALL!!!! They have moved back to Buzzards even though it is still storming. It was a hard drive down the hill from Steves, that road is terrible. but they got thru. The inverter is out so they have no electricity, and she doesn't know how long that will last. It has rained 6" in the last 2 days. The arroyo next to them is still just sand. Then the connection went out. I will keep you all updated....please forward this to anybody she may have left off the list. Love to all Jerri Phillips ( Judie's sister)

Whew!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
I heard John Ireland on the radio today (Let`s talk Hookup). John owns a fishing resort, Rancho Leonero on the East Cape.
Highlights of what he said-- It hit about 7:45 PM local time. The eye passed over the ranch and for 45 minutes the wind was calm. He reported wind gust of 150 mph. He said the ranch wasn`t damaged too bad and if he gets electricity, things will be up and running in a week or sooner. His house was damaged. He had a picture window, 50mm thick blown out. He had 2 solid oak doors, 1,100 lbs each blown off their hinges. Said nearly all power poles are down, even the concrete ones.

Thanks for your summary can you post the URL for the radio show??
M_Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 12:33 PM

http://www.hookup690.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 12:34 PM

Here is the part of the AP story that mentions that 400 mile narrow road. :O

Mexico's Cabo San Lucas braces for powerful Hurricane John
The Associated Press

Published: September 1, 2006

Churning 170 miles (275 kilometers) southeast of Baja California, John was moving northwest at 13 mph (20 kph). Late Thursday night, Mexico issued a tropical storm warning for central Baja, while the peninsula's southern tip, home to Cabo San Lucas and fellow resort San Jose del Cabo, remained under a hurricane warning.

Officials closed the airport Thursday night, ending a mad scramble for last-minute flights. There's only one narrow road out of the resort ? it's 400 miles (650 kilometers) long and leads all the way to Tijuana on the U.S. border.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/01/america/LA_GEN_Mexico_Hurricane_John_3rd_Ld_Writethru.php[/url]

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by jdtrotter]

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 12:34 PM
villdelfin

Hey bud - let us know how you are doing??

Life is too short to drink bad wine
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 02:06 PM

The latest data posted by the National Hurricane Center downgrades John to a tropical storm with maximum sustained winds of 70 mph. The coordinates of the eye show a jog to the north as the storm center cleared the mountains, but that it is now west of the spine of the Baja about 20 miles inland west of Isla San Jose and east of the Devil's curve in Mag Bay.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 02:12 PM
I always thought women

couldn't decide which way to go. Guess John can't either.:?:

Thanks for all the updates folks. Breathin' easier now but still this guy may pose a threat to Mulege if it dumps much west in the mountains.

Dadburn hurricanes!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jettygirl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 02:25 PM

Isn't that the truth Sharsbaja ..... John has been one wacky hurricane that seems to want to take his sweet time seeing the whole of Baja Sur.

Still looking for any updates on how La Paz faired ........both town and crusing community. So far I've heard the Marinas held up pretty well , but how bout the folks on the hook in the stream....????:(

\" If your lucky enough to live by the sea .....
Your lucky enough\"
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 02:34 PM

Cleaning up after the storm. Beware of nails! Boards with several nails protruding can be ruff on the feet, hands etc. Cutting and moving down trees, careful! Trees get some weird twists on 'em, will spring up and hurt you, kick that chainsaw in places you'd rather it wasn't. Frozen food? Freezer thawing? Fire up the grill and chow down! Invite the neighbors! Our prayers are with ya'll. Good Luck!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 03:18 PM

Mulege report

It is raining hard in Mulege now. it looks like the storm is degrading fast and going further to the west so we are going to get mostly just good old rain as usual. thank god for that. the only problem we need to worry about here in Mulege is flooding right along the river.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 03:26 PM
Gracias

Yep! Say Bruce I am wondering if all that disturbance if having an impact on the waves near there but I'll bet Pta. Chivato area will get big push.
Have you noticed any big change out there in the SOC?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 03:29 PM

Any more news on Rancho Leonero? Do you guys think that highway 1 will be ok the way to cabo or how fast they might repair usually after a storm like this. I was thinking of driving down with supplies on monday to Rancho Leonero. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ethan
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.