Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 09:55 AM

I guess I've been lucky in all the times I've driven cars, motorcycles, trucks, and RV's thru this town..because I've never been stopped...knock on wood.

That does not mean that I am.. or will be.. in denial about what is happening down there to other motoring tourists.

On my next trip through I will have camera and recorder at the ready. Kudos, Iflyfish.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
[

How does one drool on command, DENNIS:?::?:

All I can think of is if one of the Tecate beer models walked in front of the car

You mean you don't drive with an inflatible Tecate girl in the passenger seat? Works for me :lol:

Bob Durrell
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2010 at 06:36 PM

This report from twogringos on another thread, posted here for continuity of this thread where people are posting their experience with Police Extortion in Ciudad Constitution.

Our encounter with Truch No. 008 in CC

We have had to travel through Ciuadad Constitucion three times in the last 10 days. The first two trips we successfully bypassed the main street by turning to the east at the beginning of the divided road and going 4 blocks to Ave. Cervantes. This is a paved road with three lanes in each direction and divided by a 100 ft wide median. There are only 4 stop signs on this street, so it is much faster that stopping at every signal on the main drag. It has the advantage too that it goes right by the police station which is probably the safest place to drive.

This Sunday morning about 8:30 we entered CC from the south and just before we turned right to take the bypass we saw truck No.008 driving south on the opposite side of the road. He was probably getting in back position for another stake-out. They saw us turning, and sure enough, after we had gone east about 3 blocks they made the same turn and stayed behind us. We made our left on Cervantes and had gone about a kilometer before he closed up and turned on the lights. Our violation was apparently that we completed our left turn on to Cervantes while a car was stopped at the stop sign headed west. According to him we should have stopped some where into the intersection to wait for the other driver to cross.

After explaining this, he asked for my license. I handed him my license with the back side facing to him and he read out loud what I had written there: "No Mordida" and "Villalejos". He didn't read out Villalejos' phone number. He then explained again what I did wrong, handed me back my license and walked back to the truck. He didn't stay long enough for me to ask his name or to tell him there were lots of photos of him on the internet. Next time I'll have to be quicker.

This post again demonstrates how we can deal with this police extortion. Thank you for posting this.

Iflyfish
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 07:36 AM

from the other side..

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
May 28 - overstayed my welcome on a street in San Francisco. Left the car parked too long. I had checked on the car and didn't find the normal chalk mark on the tire so I figured I was good since it was so close to 6PM and the end of the 2 hour parking time limit.

6:30PM - returned to car to find parking ticket under wiper. $65, ouch, but my fault, should have moved the car.

June 8 - mailed in check for $65 in envelope provided.

June 28 - check clears our bank.

July 23 - notice of delinquent parking violation payment arrives. I owe $90. If I don't pay by July 22, I owe $115.

10:45AM - I check website and it says I owe $50 on citation as of July 23. No other information other than the ticket number and amount due.

11AM - call SFMTA, listen to recorded music for 20 minutes, customer rep tells me payment has to be made in "1, 2, or like, 3 days to only pay $65." I now owe $85 ticket + $25 late fee + $25 late fee - $65 payment received = $70. I ask to speak to supervisor.

11:25AM - transferred to supervisor, listen to recorded music for 15 minutes. Voice mail answers. "Ms ----- is not in, please leave a short message blah, blah, blah at the tone." Then, "Sorry, the mailbox you reached is full." Dial tone.

11:40AM - call SFMTA, listen to recorded music for 25 minutes, tell customer service rep that I was cut-off on transfer to supervisor. She says the supervisor is at her desk now and transfers me. Listen to recorded music for 10 minutes. Voice mail answers. "Ms ----- is not in, please leave a short message blah, blah, blah at the tone." Then, "Sorry, the mailbox you reached is full." Dial tone.

12:15PM - call SFMTA, listen to recorded music for 35 minutes, tell customer service rep that I was cut-off on transfer to supervisor twice. This time I don't need to listen to the catchy elevator tunes and the supervisor answers right away.

12:50PM - supervisor confirms that I paid the ticket on time and the amount due was $65 as stated on the ticket left on our car. She says they did receive the check on June 29. Interesting only in that they apparently received the check the day after it cleared our bank account.

"You owe $50. There is a $25 late fee and a $25 out-of-state license fee." I ask her why there is a late fee when she just said it was paid on time. She says she can can cancel that fee and I only owe $25. I ask about the out-of-state fee. She says, "We needed to check with an out-of-state agency in order to get your mailing address to send the delinquent notice. I can't cancel that fee." I point out that they didn't need to track me down because I paid the fine on time. "I can't cancel that fee."

1PM - after a go around with me trying to explain the the out-of-state fee was incurred because of the erroneous delinquent notice and I shouldn't be responsible for it she says, "I can't cancel that fee, but I'll pass it on to management for review. We'll call you back on Monday."

July 26 - me turning blue holding my breath?

Just a thought about all the "brew-haha" on the police collecting money for traffic.... "and the problem is?" ...

Not so sure there all that much difference between the two ... both seem to be about the same.. maybe be the only difference it's more expensive in SF

[Edited on 7-27-2010 by wessongroup]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

Just a thought about all the "brew-haha" on the police collecting money for traffic.... "and the problem is?" ...

I don't think the "police" wrote the ticket or are trying to collect the money................

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 07:46 AM

Quote:

Not so sure there all that much difference between the two ... both seem to be about the same.. maybe be the only difference it's more expensive in SF

I would much rather deal with a dishonest person than a predatory computer. :(
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 08:02 AM

Both seem to have their down sides..... but, did find it interesting..

On one hand we have the "personal" approach.. the other ... that super way of working through the "please press" and "X is away from their desk"..

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore... last time I drove, was on July 9th... 9 miles up and 9 miles back from Rosarito.. got waved through the check point, as they recognized me.. in my Bronco..

Have been stopped a number of times.. they liked my "cattle prod", but thought I needed help in getting to the ready with it .. they are sill laughing at me.. was a funny stop for them and me too.. have adopted the "laser" as it is much easier to just pull from my shirt pocket.. or from when clipped to a tee shirt... around the neck.. still have the "cattle prod" and a smaller clip on that is in the car too.. plus a dog.. on occasion..... need to get another one..

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 08:57 AM

I wonder if truck #008 is mostly driven by the police officer? Check out the picture on page 16!

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
I wonder if truck #008 is mostly driven by the police officer? Check out the picture on page 16!

What are we looking for?

[Edited on 7-27-2010 by DENNIS]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 02:01 PM
Top/bottom

By the way, this law breaker has it all wrong.

If stopped, you need to get out of your vehicle immediately.

Sitting is a passive position and the officer standing, looking down at you, is a dominant position.

That is unless you like being passive.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Sitting is a passive position and the officer standing, looking down at you, is a dominant position.

lee:
yes, show your alpha side. dennis and ifish: take note! get out of car and approach cop with grimace and balled fists :lol: report back here with results!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
dennis and ifish: take note!

Leave me alone. It's a holiday and I don't want to be bothered. :cool:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 04:00 PM

Lee,

Ever heard of Passive Aggression?! It is a fine art in Mexico and is called the Chinga. A chinga is taking five minutes to fumble with your wallet, another ten to muster some broken spanish and misunderstand his English and then to spill something before saying "this is so confusing I think we need to go to the station. I wonder if I can buy you a cup of coffee on the way. By the way did I ever tell you the story about the two dogs who......etc.

I once was confronted on a very remote Baja beach by a caretaker of an abandoned hotel, very nice place, hand carved cornice over bar etc. Truckloads of beautiful sea shells had been dumped in piles on the beach. I went beach combing. When the care taker came along he asked me to leave. I of course spoke no espanol si?! and he got louder and then I offered him a shell. That made him more angry and I said "pardmi, I stupido" rummaged around in my pail of shells and then offered him a better one. He threw his arms up in exasperation, yelled some more about stupidido......gringo...pinc. etc. and left. Now that my friend is passive aggression gringo style.

Iflyfishandhaveafairlygoodchinga
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
and he got louder and then I offered him a shell. That made him more angry and I said "pardmi, I stupido" rummaged around in my pail of shells and then offered him a better one. He threw his arms up in exasperation, yelled some more about stupidido......gringo...pinc. etc. and left. Now that my friend is passive aggression gringo style.

Sounds like something Zorba would do.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Or, he swings his rifle up to "action" position... :):)

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by wessongroup]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 07:39 PM
Sit in your car. Get out of your car. All the same to me.

Quote:

Or, he swings his rifle up to "action" position... :):)

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by wessongroup]

I've written before: a cop points his weapon at me, I give him some money.

I'll get even later.

This isn't going to happen to me. It might, though, happen to you.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 08:13 AM

It sounds like the following strategy is being used successfully by Nomads traveling through Ciudad Constitution.

If you are stopped by police in Ciudad Constitution and threatened with a ticket for something you did not do then please report the details to:

American Citizen Services

US Consulate General Tijuana

ACSTijuana@state.gov

If you are stopped by a policeman in CC and they try to extort money from you , this approach that has been used successfully to stop this crime.

Come to a complete stop at ALL intersections, look both ways to make sure no pedestrians in cross walks. Follow the 18 mph speed limit. If stopped do the following:
1. stay calm, take your time
2. ask for name and badge number, write these down, do not surrender your drivers license
3. let cop know you are calling Sr. Villalejos, Sub-director de Policia, at 613-100-1910
4. insist that you go to the station NOW and deal with the fine
5. Since the police office is reportedly closed on Sunday, travel thru Ciudad Constitution on M-Sat.
6. remain calm, confident and clear. Follow thru.
7. Drive in the right hand lane and look local, don't make eye contact with a cop.
8. Let every one you know that there is a serious problem with police extortion on the ONLY highway that connects Baja N with Baja S and that each day the city of Ciudad Constitution loses thousands of dollars in lost revenue because of this.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 08:21 AM

C. Wright Mills stated that when personal problems become public issues than social change can occur.

Please keep posting your experiences with current travel through Ciudad Constitution and let us know if you saw police extortion happening and if it happened to you, what did you do?

Thanks,

Iflyfish
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 04:43 PM

The problem may be subsiding somewhat since a newbie, cutexianchick, made it through the gauntlet both ways with no problemas.:o

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 05:22 PM

I typing this report from Verdugos on the East Cape.

The connection between Insugents and CC is a very long one at 22 mph. I had a Federalie pull along side of me and look inside my truck, I just smiled and waved. He pulled the Semi I was behind over. He passed me again entering CC, without incident.

There is no hiding my truck, I cant look local, so I just drove down the center lanes of CC @ 22 mph.

I only saw one local cop, he was on a moped. I made it through..... slowly and painfully at 40 KPH.

BTW...Where the heat? It sure was cool in Mulege.

Frank
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.