BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I would hate to buy a EV car now with intention of keeping it for 10 years and find out is worthless batt tech, replaced by better tech in 5 years.
At least with ICE motos i know the tech is mature and wont be worthless in 5 years.

Actually, your ICE vehicle will be worthless in 5 years as more people are jumping on the BEV train in Californico and as gasoline prices will continue to rise as a result of increasing costs of drilling and processing and there is less demand for gasoline (the Oil companies do need to keep their stock holders happy rather than keeping a single goat happy with lower prices). My Tesla is the last car I will ever own. My son-in-law, who is 30 years younger than I, has a 2018 Tesla similar to mine, for 6 years. He is so in love with his car, he was an ICE mechanic earlier in life, he says this will be his last car too! He agrees no maintenance is required other than rotating the tires and adding wiper fluid (he does these things himself).

@JDCanukistani
Quote:
Kinda like buying an XT computer just before the AT's and even faster more capable models came out. I can understand that one. Improvements are coming so rapidly, the longer you can wait, the better the tech you will get.

I disagree, because you will never own a computer, a cell phone, or BEV as a result of something newer, shinier, more advanced will always be coming out, "in the future". I have had the absolute JOY of owning my Tesla with Driver Assisted Full Self Driving for almost 6 years and 70+K miles. My car is better than I purchased because I get no extra cost "over the air" updates at least once a month and sometimes 2 or 3 times a month (they download automatically at night while I sleep). My car has all the electronic improvements of a brand new car! No, I don't have the latest battery technology, but I can always have Tesla pull my old battery pack in 3 or 4 years and install a pack with the newest technology for around $10K. Compare that number to purchasing a new base Tesla for around $50K (with tax, license, delivery, and Tesla's nonsense "processing fee.") And my car looks brand new because I take good care of it (white on white). One more thing JD, I purchased Full Self Driving when I bought the car new for $2,000. If I want to buy FSD today, 6 years later, it costs $12,000 AND WORTH EVERY CENTAVO! And my car has EVERY FSD feature, through no extra cost updates, that a new car with FSD has! :bounce:

Getting back on Topic, I will be driving the length of Baja, on self driving, as soon as there are Superchargers at appropriate intervals down Hwy 1.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

An electric car in San Francisco or LA makes a bit more sense than one in Baja. Definitely limited usefulness in Baja for an EV

I disagree @TioTaco. A BEV does make sense for someone who lives full time in Baja. Simply install a Level 2, 220V outlet in your garage (whether on CFE or solar panels) and wake up each morning to a full tank of electrons. Think of the savings from not purchasing 87 octane gasoline at around USD 6/gal. The range on BEVs get as much as 400 miles range, more than enough to run errands or bashing around in the desert terrorizing all the critters that call it home.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

An electric car in San Francisco or LA makes a bit more sense than one in Baja. Definitely limited usefulness in Baja for an EV

I disagree @TioTaco. A BEV does make sense for someone who lives full time in Baja. Simply install a Level 2, 220V outlet in your garage (whether on CFE or solar panels) and wake up each morning to a full tank of electrons. Think of the savings from not purchasing 87 octane gasoline at around USD 6/gal. The range on BEVs get as much as 400 miles range, more than enough to run errands or bashing around in the desert terrorizing all the critters that call it home.

99% of baja citizens live in urban areas where they typically have short trips conducive to EVs. Penepoco is thinking of gringo road trippers and a few rural citizens when he thinks everyone should drive a full size v8 diesel…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Tioloco: If the Rivian truck with all its off-road capabilities were both cheaper and had a much longer range would you consider it for Baja?

=== =
The latest is Rivian has to be shipped to the service center from wherever it is located for fixes
Same comment applies to Tesla truck.
Buy a Mx assembled EV in Baja or Mexico does it have to be transported to China for repairs?

Takes a lot of faith nothing will go wrong.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Tioloco: If the Rivian truck with all its off-road capabilities were both cheaper and had a much longer range would you consider it for Baja?

=== =
The latest is Rivian has to be shipped to the service center from wherever it is located for fixes
Buy a Mx assembled EV in Baja or Mexico does it have to be transported to China for repairs?

One problem of many new car designs is management did not tell the designers that easy maintenance/repairs was a key design objective. So now we got cars that cost a small fortune to repair a body ding, and teslas that cant go thru a carwash (i kid you not, the owners manual says you should not take your tesla thru a carwash).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 03:19 PM

Goat: That's one of the primary reasons I got rid of all my IC vehicles but one. They were becoming more and more complicated, more difficult and expensive to maintain. Just communications between the key fobs and the car's computer (a 1/2 hour job ) cost 300 to get the dealer to reprogram, and it was proprietary software. This after the immobilizer refused to allow the car to run and it had to be towed to the dealer. The other 2 times this occurred, we were lucky enough to obtain the hack from the web after a very brief delay.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

That is why I have NEVER purchased any type of vehicle until it has been in production AT LEAST a year or more, until all the kinks have been worked out. That is why I'm not on board with any Rivian, BYD, or CyberTruk.....yet. I give them some time to "mature."
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
So now we got cars that cost a small fortune to repair a body ding,

True if you take it to the dealer service center if you want the ding fixed. You can take it down the street in Baja and have "Jose solo ojo" fix your ding for next to nothing just like you do with your ICE car.

Quote:
and teslas that cant go thru a carwash (i kid you not, the owners manual says you should not take your tesla thru a carwash).

NOT TRUE! Where do you get this stuff? You ARE kidding us. You should change your handle on BN to @mttroll666! IF you don't know what you are talking about, it is better to keep your mouth shut rather than prove it to the world!

Tesla does recommend you not use a commercial car wash because of potential damage to the car's finish, which YOU, not Tesla, will be responsible for repairs. Most ICE cars have the same recommendation because your dealer ain't going to repair any damage under warranty!!!

I'm an "environmentalist." I usually wash my car by hand at home with 2 gallons of distilled water, waterless car wash - "No Rinse Wash and Shine" (available on Amazon), and some high quality microfiber towels. Nary a scratch on my car. However, I have taken my car to a commercial car wash maybe 3 times over the years. I simply put the car in "car wash mode" on the U.I. and the side mirrors fold and sucks the wipers further under the hood automatically and puts the car in neutral to be pulled through the rotating dirty rags. It was with very unsatisfactory results by the pizz poor car wash (including the one at Costco) on all 3 occasions.

Your horse and buggy on the other hand, is what you can't take through a car wash. Try the "No Rinse" product on your horse!
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 04:44 PM

Just communications between the key fobs and the car's computer (a 1/2 hour job ) cost 300 to get the dealer to reprogram, and it was proprietary software. This after the immobilizer refused to allow the car to run and it had to be towed to the dealer. The other 2 times this occurred, we were lucky enough to obtain the hack from the web after a very brief delay.

@JDCanuckistani, your ICE dealer is ripping you off to reprogram. But Tesla will do the same thing if you are foolish enough to take it to a service center if out of warranty.

Tesla operates thru your programmed cell phone (can be either Android or IPhone) and you can program other cell phones too (3 as I recall) to operate it if you wish. In addition, Tesla provides 2 "key cards" to operate the car when you purchase the car if you lose your cell phone. They are the size of a credit card and I keep one in my wallet as a back up, which I've never needed. There are no keys or fobs. The car recognizes your programmed cell phone in your pocket or purse (goat? you don't need to take it out) as you walk up , security mode is disabled, the door automatically unlocks for you (I have mine programed to open all 4 doors at the same time, but it is your choice), hop in, put it into gear, and drive off. This is a no brainer, even a Neanderthal goat can do it.

Tesla is simply a very advanced computer on 4 wheels. Any glitches in the cars computer can be fixed OTA with a simple, toll free call to the technical dept. at no cost to reprogram(reset). You can also reset the computer yourself, if you don't need a technician to hold your hand. Neither has happened to me or any Tesla owner I know.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 05:16 PM

I lost my key fob several years ago. Am actually much happier to just use a regular manual key. It still had to be programmed, but that was much less expensive than a fob. And there's just a chip in it, no battery to go dead and leave you stranded, unable to lock or unlock your vehicle.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 05:25 PM

If you are looking at EV's to buy and want reliability, especially on the damaging roads in Baja, Consumer Reports just came out with a recent list. It may be additional complexity causing the problems, but the cheapest models seem to also be the most reliable at present. The big exceptions here are the Porsche Taycan and Lexus

https://caredge.com/guides/the-most-reliable-evs-according-t...

[Edited on 6-27-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I lost my key fob several years ago. Am actually much happier to just use a regular manual key. It still had to be programmed, but that was much less expensive than a fob. And there's just a chip in it, no battery to go dead and leave you stranded, unable to lock or unlock your vehicle.

Sorry, I misstated that, it was actually the chip in the keys that were not being read by the onboard computer. The remote fobs continued to work well, locking, unlocking, setting off the alarm etc. Somehow the car's computer stopped recognizing all my keys.
Same thing happened to my Chev truck when we parked for lunch in Utah, but it was easily rectified by a sequence of manual resets we found on the web.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 06:07 PM

If you are looking at EV's to buy and want reliability, especially on the damaging roads in Baja, Consumer Reports just came out with a recent list. It may be additional complexity causing the problems, but the cheapest models seem to also be the most reliable at present. The big exception here is the Porsche Tayan

I lost respect and confidence in Consumer Report, years ago. Porsche, for example just had a complete recall of all their Taycan model this week. I have purchased some of their "recommended" products over the years and found they did not live up to CR claims. There has been persistent rumors that CR is no longer "independent" but taking money from mfg's under the table to keep their failing business from filing for bankruptcy. I don't know, but I do know I no longer trust them as do most of their former fans.

In other news, Ford has just announced their "new platform" BEVs will be built in Long Beach Californico. This is good news for Mexicans living in northern Baja. They can drive to to Chula Vista, pick up a Ford BEV and take it back over the border. I can also see the Ford dealer in Tijuana/Ensenda stocking this car for immediate delivery. This will give Mexicans (and gringos) in that area an option that is more versatile and higher end than the BYD. Plus there is a Supercharger in Ensenada that Ford will be able to access because Ford has adopted Tesla's NACS format for charging, BYD? who knows.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 06:21 PM

Baja is going to be a special test ground I think. Given all the unavoidable potholes, extreme washboard back roads, etc. Our older GM truck and also other vehicles had several issues related to electrical contacts or connectors over the couple years we drove a lot down here. I'm not concerned about the main battery packs, but assembly of all electronics and connectors will get a big tryout.
Excessive complexity will probably come back to bite.

Our neighbors at present prefer the most uncomplicated Hilux for that very reason. Manual everything they can have and reduced electronics wherever possible.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

My cell phone is the key to my car and the cell phone is wirelessly charged when in the car, so the battery never goes dead while in the car. However, if you lose your cell phone while shopping at Freska grocery store, I do carry a key card in my wallet, that requires no battery and I could use that if needed (which I never have). I can't tell you how many sets of keys I've lost for various items (including my house) over the years. There is now a front door lockset that can be programed to your cell phone. You walk up to the front door with your phone in your pocket and the door automatically unlocks!
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 06:40 PM

Baja is going to be a special test ground I think. Given all the unavoidable potholes, extreme washboard back roads, etc. Our older GM truck and also other vehicles had several issues related to electrical contacts or connectors over the couple years we drove a lot down here. I'm not concerned about the main battery packs, but assembly of all electronics and connectors will get a big tryout.
Excessive complexity will probably come back to bite.

There was a bunch of Teslas in Los Cabos when I was there last month. They were brought over by ferry from the mainland by Mexicans. There is no Tesla Service Center in Los Cabos, at this time, but I expect one and a Supercharger there in the next year or two. All the Mexicans I have talked to in Cabo have had no issues with "excessive complexity" and neither have I over the years. Teslas are now ranked as the most reliable car brand ahead of Toyota, now ranked as second. However, I would never take my car off road, anywhere. You live south of T.S., with acceptable roads. Don't overthink this JD.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Absolute deal killer, for anyone I hang out with. :coolup:

To be clear, I would never take any car, even ICE 4x4, off road. It is just not my thing. I would rather hike through the desert (which I have done) and enjoy the quiet and beauty of that environment without destroying it. I especially enjoy the boulder garden north of Catavina.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 07:53 PM

Off road is almost a daily experience for me. Not only does my ride need to be capable of that, but it must be able to haul things and/or pull a trailer as well.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Off road is almost a daily experience for me. Not only does my ride need to be capable of that, but it must be able to haul things and/or pull a trailer as well.

Cybertruck! F150 lightening bug! Rivian!

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

My cell phone is the key to my car

When i go to the beach, i leave my phone at home or in the car.

Often on the weekend i leave my phone at home….

Why would a car mfg make you tether yourself to a phone? I think they are collecting data on you and selling it to marketers!
Creepy that tesla is collecting data on your every trip!

Can a tesla owner turn off all of the gps data collection uploads to tesla?

Woke!

Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.