Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Yep! Say Bruce I am wondering if all that disturbance if having an impact on the waves near there but I'll bet Pta. Chivato area will get big push.
Have you noticed any big change out there in the SOC?

I havent been out to look at the sea.

this moor westerly track of the Storm means more rain in the mountains which we need but also it is where it causes more flooding here in Mulege. we will know a lot more in the morning :light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

LaRibereña
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 04:44 PM
La Ribera

All power and phone poles down; no power, water. Anything not bolted down is probably gone. Lots of windows and retaining walls gone. Mike, do you have any news? Could you check our house just down the street from you, across from Blanca's?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 04:59 PM

La Paz

We did pretty well, lots of blown trees and signs, but very few windows broken wich means we got lucky, power is on, phone lines are working, and even the internet is up, so all in all this was a rather light hurricane compared to others i have experienced. We only got a few hours worth of strong winds, and in my opinion, we got very light rains (can't explain how a hurricane passes over you and dumps so little rain). Supermarkets are open, the movie theaters are open, and i guess i have to say we fared so well because we prepared for a much more destructive hurricane than what we actually got.

Hope everyone is o.k.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:03 PM

thanks JESSE it is god to get some news out of La Paz. and good news at that:yes:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:31 PM

Anyone out La Ribera way seen Osprey?

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:38 PM

the wind has just picked up to about 30 kts gusting to 40 and rain is increasing here in Mulege it is raining hard in the mountains. the river has not started to rise yet but it usually happens with a wall of water not a gentle rise.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:39 PM

National Hurricane Center coordinates for TS John at 1800 local time place the storm center 25 miles NNE of Constitucion on a track slightly west of northwest. The storm is moving at about 8 mph. Maximum sustained wind speed is now 65 mph. If it continues on this course at this speed it will reach the Pacific around midnight near Boca de Las Animas
pacifica

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:15 PM

Just got some info from Pony express on the Los Barilles area. This sounds pritty grim.

Would the first person to travel to or from the airport successfully, please..........let the BPE know so people can start making their travel plans.

1. Dated today 9:16am PDT: Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the East Cape of Baja right now . . and we hope no loss of life or serious injuries occurred.

We have had some messages via email but don't know if all systems are up. We are wanting information about damage to Buenos Aires RV Park where we have (had??) a palapa and Aljo trailer . . If anyone has communication from persons there would love to get some information . . our trailer site is #15, 2nd one past the banos. Any information greatly appreciated. And any information on others in the park please pass on and I will get the word out to them. Thanks . .Bob and Rene email: heyrene@adelphia.net

2. today 9:22am PDT: :Greetings Hurricane John survivors. We hope you have water, propane, and a great sense of humor. Has anyone heard of damage at Rancho Leonero Homes and Hotel? Warm regards, Lizzie Crookham grizzlyfsh95@yahoo.com

3. We are concerned about Jose and his family (jose from Hardware). Does anyone have information on him?

Lois and Bert Roberts

4. Cheryl: My husband Buzz and I received news via a very emotional phone message from Josh Gaudy around 10.30am this morning, that hurricane John hit our area directly and that there is alot of devastation. I have also spoken with Axel Valdez (of Hotel Buena Vista) Ron Corder, Ann Hazard and several others who live there but happen to be in the States and they report that they hear many houses on the beach have sustained damage and that our upstairs windows (which are huge and which were covered with plywood) have blown out so we expect interior damage also. We are in the most northern block of the spa on the beach. From a conversation with Sabrina Lopez who caretakes many SJD houses and who was in SJD, the phone lines, cell phone towers and internet services in our area are down, roads north and south are closed so noone can get to the area. Josh said that the house or houses next door to us are completely gone and describes the area as flattened. Others report that big trees have been uprooted and windows in the condo buildings (Mar y Sol specifically) and Hotel Buena Vista have been blown out.

Mary Fedorka
Telluride, CO 81435
Phone: 970-728-4177
mary@fedorka.com
www.TellurideBuzz.com

4. After talking to my neighbors who had the only phone working practically in La Ribera, it was pretty gruesome, some houses got flattened while others made it right next door.My place took a good hit, now I will find out how good insurance is, but thankfully no one in town was hurt! Nothing to be done here as the roads are flooded and getting there by air may take a while due to washouts. Anyway thanks to the bajaponyexpress I was able to communicate, and also follow the results of the storm better! Roberto bob@cntahoe.com

5. I just got through to Karen Kennedy on the phone. She reports a
horrible disaster. Her house pretty much gutted. Every piece of glass
broken. Her mattress on the carport. Air conditioner ripped out of the
wall. Furniture and computer ruined. Plants destroyed. Car windows
broken. Fence gone. Damage way worse than with Hurricane Marty. She's
in the house to remove a few things to save them from looting, but
can't live in the house. She was amazed that the phone worked.
Everyone has sustained a lot of damage.She says it looks like the
photos after Katrina.
Annalisa

6. I have received a few emails today. It appears only Mark Rayor and Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort have any email but they have their hands full with the devastation. Esaul Valdez indicated that there have been no injuries or deaths. However, property and infrastructure damage to area homes is another story. Details? Don't have them, except that Vista del Mar and the Rayors were hit hard. Doors and roofs blown off, roofs, windows blown in, trees down, flooding. Power and phone lines are out. Mary Fedorka was told by a friend in San Jose that roads north and south of BV/LB are impassible. Axel told me that American Airlines is flying into Los Cabos. That is all I have been able to discern today.

Please email cnn.com at http://www.cnn.com/feedback/dotcom/ and ask them to send the reporter who was in Cabo the last few days to the East Cape to report on our damage. I just did. Ann Hazard cookbaja@aol.com.

7. Update from Buenas Aires and north!!! Most all trees in the area are down. Roads not passable. All power lines are broken and down. Most of the homes have suffered various degrees of damage. Some very extensive. Most all missing windows and garage doors. Rick and Kim, you lost windows. I had a neighbors 4x4 post come right through a block wall like a bullet. Not much rain with the storm but lots of wind. Most campers at north beach destroyed. Many boats and campers blown away. The eye of the storm passed over around 10:00 last night. Been through many hurricanes over the past 16 years here. This was the grandaddy of them all!!!
Good luck to all. Bob

8. Hello Everyone
Thank God for Baja Pony express, so we can communicate. At this point United Peace Relief has
decided to keep our mobile unit in the United States on standby. I would like to know a road report.
Would it even be possible to drive down the pennisula? We are also waiting anxiously for word of el
Cardonal, if anyone has any information please share it. United Peace Relief has pledged to send
$300 to Jose Martin Sandez Lucero in El Cardonal to buy water and food for those in need. If anyone
can get that message to him please do it. I hope everyone is OK we are praying for you. Lynn
Meadows flybynight@pacific.net

9. what an adventure. We got the direct hit here in LB. We weathered the storm but there are a lot of houses that did not. I'm sorry to say that the boards on your Master bedroom blew off and the windows are blown open. We took pictures but I don't have time to send them as we are on our generator and I have tons of people to get back to. I would say most of the Spa had window damage and more. Both of your neighbors have a lot of open space right now. More later

Jeff Niemi
Baja Beach Investments (This note was to Mary Fedorka)

10. Our casa is the yellow, brand new 2-story on the beach in the northern most block of the Spa on Circuito Velero.
Our boards blew off and the master suite windows are either broken or gone and we need help covering everything up and boarding the house back up to prevent further damage or theft. Is there anyone who can help please!

Mary & Buzz Fedorka
Telluride, CO 81435
mary@fedorka.com
Phone: 970-728-4177
Fax: 970-728-1235
www.TellurideBuzz.com

11. The eye of the storm came through here about 10:30 last night. Felt like at least a three but I don’t know for certain. Very strong winds that did considerable damage to Los Barriles, Buena Vista and La Ribera. It didn’t have a tremendous amount of water but the wind made up for it. For all those concerned about their houses most likely whatever was outside is broken or bent or worse, blown away. If you were smart and put up your boards properly the inside of your home is most likely fine. The Hotel suffered major damage as did many local homes. The entrance to Los Barriles was a raging river and pieces of the new sidewalk, 12 ft . pieces, are littered on the road. We have been without power since yesterday evening but the Federal electric co. had the forethought to station about 100 men and trucks in this area as of two days ago. We’ll probably be up and running again by Tues or Weds. I doubt seriously the town dump will be able to hold the amount of debris John has caused. As far as I’ve heard only one death locally of a merchant from San Jose that was swept away by the arroyo where the airstrip of Buena Vista used to be. Hopefuly church will be packed tomorrow with folks giving thanks to God as this was really close. I will try and advise my customers as to their damage as reports come in but places like Mar y Sol condos were hit heavy again. I hope this teaches people that if they walk away they better have left their place bullet-proof. Hasta mañana.

DennisC. Riley

dennis@paydennis.com
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:07 PM

hay thanks lencho for the good info I'm kind of worried about Comitan

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:14 PM

this loop showed the center of the storm right at Loreto right now. and going strait up th east cost to Mulege. it docent seem to be following the predicted rout.:?:

any one in Loreto have a report right now

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/loop-bd.html

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

LaRibereña
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:20 PM
Osprey

I have heard that Osprey and Lynda are OK, gracias a dios.
TinaRMarie2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:23 PM

My Fianc? and his teenage daughter are due to fly into Los Cabos tomorrow, and staying in Los Barriles at the Hotel Palmas de Cortez. His travel agent contacted him today and said that they had been in contact with the Hotel and besides a few broken windows all was ok. Repairs where already being done. They stated that they still have 50 hotel guests still there. He was reassured that they would have a safe trip. So he plans on leaving tomorrow, but after reading the report above, I am worried and it sure doesn't sound ok! :wow: Please advise!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:42 PM

latest image....

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:57 PM

From Lou on the east cape:

Subject: AFTERMATH -HURRICAN JUAN 9-2-06 [ ROAD Y CASA CONDITONS WE OBSERVED HOY]

DEAREST AMIGOS- HOPING ALL IS WELL.

TODAY WE TOOK THE HUMMER FRM PLAYA TORTUGA TOWARD LA VINORAMA AND THEN TO BUZZARDS:

RD TO LA VINO RAMA- ARROYO PAST MARK DEPHILLIPIS NEED 4X4-- SHIPWRECKS PASSABLE NOW [4X4]---- LA FORTUNA RD IMPASSABLE, AN 8FT EMBANKMENT EVEN THE HUMMER SAID NO- TOMORROW BORROWING BILL CONNER,S BOBCAT [MUCHISSIMO GRACIAS] AND WILL MAKE PASSAGE, THEN EVALUATE FURTHER. I HEARD LA VINO RAMA IS RUNNING VERY HEAVY [ONE 4X4 MADE IT ACROSS].

RD TO BUZZARDS--- TOPE COMPLETELY EXPOSED AT RANCHO ZACATON [4X4]-- SOME ROCK SLIDES AT PT GORDA BUT PASSABLE- FIRST ARROYO AT LA LGUNA IMPASSABLE NOW, VERY DEEP/MUDDY---THEN TOOK OLD COAST RD BEHIND LA LAGUNA, VERY DIFFICULT EVEN W/ 4X4---BEYOND THE GRADE AT LA LAGUNA, ONE SPOT PRETTY RUTTED [4X4]--REMAING WAY TO BUZZARS OK.

DENNY WAS TO GIVE ME A REPORT ON PAVED RD TO PLAYITA CROSSING.

ESTHER/CHIOPE TOLD ME LAS NITE CIVIL PROTECCION PUT 10 DUMP LOADS OF DIRT AT ENTRANCE TO PLAYITA.

TED- SEE ATTACHED REPORT REGARDING LAS FRAILES Y BEYOND.

NEW ROAD FROM ZACATITOS TO PLAYITA- HAVEN,T CHK,D YET- BUT PRESUME THE QUESTA IS IMPASSABLE

DOUG VADNAIS TOOK SOME GREAT PHOTOS AND WE WILL BE FORWARDING THEM LATER. AS ALWAYS THE SAPOS/RANAS [TOADS/FROGS AN INCREDIBLE SITE AT LA LAGUNA.

CONDITONS OF CASA ETC- WE DID NOT NOTICE ANY EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO ANY OF THE PLACES WE OBSERVED. WE DID SEE PLANT AND TREE DAMAGE BUT NOT EXTENSIVE. THEY WERE AS FOLLOWS_____________

CASAS ---CONNERS--PHILA/DALLAS---JAY W.--R. BEAUCHAMP-- IAN,S RENTAL- DE LUCA-DE PHILLIPIS--KASH----- PETER MCGONAGLE INDICATED TO ME ALL WAS WELL IN ZACATITOS, MINOR WATER LEAKAGE----RICK/BRENDA [LUPE]----PAT PHILLIPS---LEROYS--PENNY,S---JERRY/CRAIG-------RANCHEROS [CARLOS, TITI, FORTUNATO, CHACHO, DON ANGEL, --PEDRO FORTUNATO]

TOMORROW WE,LL CHECK LAS DISTILLADERAS, MARTI,S ETC

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR RAIN ETC INFO AS YOU HAVE TIME.

DEVORA FROM BOCA DE TULE REPORTED 8 INCHES RAIN- 80 MPH WINDS AND SOME EXTENSIVE DAMAGE

TONY/DAWN JUST PASS LA VINO RAMA REPORTED DAMAGE ALSO.

PLS PRAY FOR THOSE UP THE RD FROM US LAVINA RAMA--FRAILES-BOCA DE TULE-CABO PULMO AND BEYOND. THEY HAVE A DIFFICULT ROAD TO OVERCOME.AND MAY NEED OUR HELP.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NO ONE HAS BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED/ETC [MUCHISSIMO GRACIAS EL SENOR!!!!]

QUE DIOS TE BENDIGA-CUIDATE MUCHO-LOU

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:08 PM

from Tony and dawn:

Good afternoon everyone (better for some than others me thinks),

Tony and I are assessing local damage and will upload photos to my web site for all to see later on (prob this evening, I will send address at that time). All reports confirm that the eye passed directly over Cabo Pulmo where damage was extensive. As that is exactly 17 miles north of us, we believe that we got to experience close to Cat 3 conditions, but difficult to confirm this. Trees are down all over the community of Cabo Pulmo, roofs off, windows smashed and most solar panels gone. One estimate is that winds reached 150mph there, but I?d like to get confirmation on that. No loss of life or limb though (here or there), gracias a Dios! We have a local estimate of 80 mph when the storm passed northeast of us, but I believe that is low. Road damage is extensive and the local arroyo (Las Vinoramas) is running hard, but passable in a 4x4. We also know that the Camino Palo Escopeta is passable to Sta Catarina, but that it was not passable this morning. We would appreciate updates on it?s condition as that develops. Some homes here in Las Vinoramas experienced extensive damage (broken windows, doors that exploded, lots of water damage, downed walls, fences and palapas) and others have only minor damage. I attribute the differences to exposure to east and west winds, home design (strength of doors and windows installed) and use of hurricane panels.

We would love to know what the Sta Catarina Arroyo is doing. Please send an update at your earliest convenience.

Peace and many thanks for everyone?s prayers,

Dawn & Tony

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:16 PM

On the pacific side hyw 19 is cut and impassable just below Rancho Nuevo, took out two police trucks and one other vehicle, washed down the arroyo. Rick also reports no traffic coming from the south so it's probably cut somewhere down that way. everything is very quiet, town water in elias calles is out with the pump house underwater.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:24 PM

This is from Cole barrymore of Cabo Pulmo who is stuck in the states at the moment. Some of the info is dated.

Max?. hello. Tghanks for the note. No contact yet. Comm is down and don?t know what to do until I contact them.

I might need your help to reposition the dish.

Cole

To whom it may concern: 9/2/06 11:00am pacific

This is Cole Barrymore, owner/manager of Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I am currently in Sunset Beach , California waiting for any news that may come as to the condition of Cabo Pulmo.

As some of you may know, yesterday afternoon hurricane John looked as if it was going to turn to the northwest and just miss Cabo San Lucas or hit on the tip of Baja but instead took a right turn into the gulf of Baja.

John hit Cabo Pulmo dead on with the eye just slightly off shore. From my perspective and all the websites that I have been to, indicate the most intense winds must have hit Cabo Pulmo by the late afternoon with gusts estimated to be 120 to 130mph. But I am not sure. All radio telecommunications and satellite internet have apparently been blown down and at this time Saturday at 11:00 am I have not been able to communicate to anybody in Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. The last communications to me here was the resort office on instant messenger to my computer saying that the windows in the upstairs restaurant have been broken and that it?s a mess up there. They also indicated that the workers and manager along with my kids and wife ran downstairs to safety in the dive center.

At this time the hurricane has been downgraded to a cat 2 and I guess that it is in La Paz and moving north along the Sea of Cortez.

If you are a guest coming to the resort, don?t come yet!

I will continue to try to contact the resort to see what to do next. If you and anybody that you know has had any contact then please ?reply?. Information on road condition to the resort or the vicinity would be helpful so I can plan what to do next.

Thanks.

Cole

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 12:04 AM
It ain't over till the fat lady sings....

Current

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
this loop showed the center of the storm right at Loreto right now. and going strait up th east cost to Mulege. it docent seem to be following the predicted rout.:?:

any one in Loreto have a report right now

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/loop-bd.html

Bruce , Just watched a live storm loop via satelite and it shows the storm circulation center going right along the west side of Conception bay and right over or just to the west of Mulege.

Watch the arroyo Bruce , Best of luck

Lero 5:30 am

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/vis.jpg
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 06:01 AM

Best of Luck to all in MULEGE now, John sits right over the area, as it looks on the satelite images.
LL

Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.