Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Can a tesla owner turn off all of the gps data collection uploads to tesla?

When you sell your soul to the devil you give up all rights.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

When you sell your soul to the devil you give up all rights.

+1
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 10:31 PM

Why would a car mfg make you tether yourself to a phone?

Then just use your "key card!" It's just a card with a chip in it, just like your ICE vehicle with truck tires. Your gasoline fuel bill must be something to behold!

Quote:
I think they are collecting data on you and selling it to marketers!
Creepy that tesla is collecting data on your every trip!

As usual, YOU thought wrong. Just because you "think" something, doesn't make you right!

Quote:

YES! Your choice. It's creepy that you are so wrong about a car you know nothing about!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2024 at 10:43 PM

What’s really creepy is the tesla cameras that go into “creep” mode when you leave your car parked, recording anyone that passes by your parked car :thumbdown:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 04:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Absolute deal killer, for anyone I hang out with. :coolup:

To be clear, I would never take any car, even ICE 4x4, off road. It is just not my thing. I would rather hike through the desert (which I have done) and enjoy the quiet and beauty of that environment without destroying it. I especially enjoy the boulder garden north of Catavina.

I'm thinking you have me confused with someone else Oxxo. Our place was 60 miles up the Baja 1000 track from La Paz. This is why our neighbors and us all needed durable 4X4's. This is the Baja that will give any complicated electronics vehicle an extra challenge on durability. No cell access for rescues when something shuts down and you are crossing some off road arroyo in 38 degree heat. Our Leaf never goes off the pavement in Canada and would have been useless down here. Even that stretch of highway from #5 to San Ignacio is brutal on most cars.

[Edited on 6-27-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Our place was 60 miles up the Baja 1000 track from La Paz. This is why our neighbors and us all needed durable 4X4's. This is the Baja that will give any complicated electronics vehicle an extra challenge on durability. No cell access for rescues when something shuts down and you are crossing some off road arroyo in 38 degree heat. Our Leaf never goes off the pavement in Canada and would have been useless down here. Even that stretch of highway from #5 to San Ignacio is brutal on most cars.

Then, you are one of the edge cases. The BEV movement is still in its infancy. It is impossible for it to meet the demands of every possible user choices at this time.

As far as living in a remote location, I did that for two years a long time ago. I had no transportation. I had no utilities. I had no supermarket just down the road. I had no 4x4 or complicated electronics. It was a life changing experience for me. And I existed with an almost zero impact on my local environment, unlike driving a 4x4, 60 miles into the wilderness, spewing hydrocarbons into the air and destroying local habitat.

Everyone is free to pursue whatever lifestyle appeals to them. But, it is important that we all recognize and take personal responsibility for the impact on the environment our personal lifestyle choices, causes. I try not to be a hypocrite. My personal lifestyle choices today do cause more of an impact on the environment than they did for two years a long time ago. I recognize that and take responsibility for that choice. I do make an effort to minimize my impact on my environment today, but I can, and I will do more everyday to reduce my personal "carbon footprint". I want to leave this Earth, environmentally, a better place than I inherited, if not for me, at least for those who follow me.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 08:46 AM

Well, this is where the BYD Shark, Yuan PLus, the F-150 Lightning the 4 Rivians (including the new smaller and less expensive R3) all fit in at present as EV's or Plug in hybrids. We'll have to wait to see whether they prioritize durability or multiple online conveniences for this particular market. But someone will fill the gap that exists at present. So far, Rivian is the only one that has seriously tested their trucks and SUV's in harsh off-road conditions, but I am betting Toyota may leverage the Hilux reputation to compete in the near future.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 08:48 AM

Our place was 60 miles up the Baja 1000 track from La Paz. This is why our neighbors and us all needed durable 4X4's. This is the Baja that will give any complicated electronics vehicle an extra challenge on durability. No cell access for rescues when something shuts down and you are crossing some off road arroyo in 38 degree heat. Our Leaf never goes off the pavement in Canada and would have been useless down here. Even that stretch of highway from #5 to San Ignacio is brutal on most cars.

Then, you are one of the edge cases. The BEV movement is still in its infancy. It is impossible for it to meet the demands of every possible user choices at this time.

As far as living in a remote location, I did that for two years a long time ago. I had no transportation. I had no utilities. I had no supermarket just down the road. I had no 4x4 or complicated electronics. It was a life changing experience for me. And I existed with an almost zero impact on my local environment, unlike driving a 4x4, 60 miles into the wilderness, spewing hydrocarbons into the air and destroying local habitat.

Everyone is free to pursue whatever lifestyle appeals to them. But, it is important that we all recognize and take personal responsibility for the impact on the environment our personal lifestyle choices, causes. I try not to be a hypocrite. My personal lifestyle choices today do cause more of an impact on the environment than they did for two years a long time ago. I recognize that and take responsibility for that choice. I do make an effort to minimize my impact on my environment today, but I can, and I will do more everyday to reduce my personal "carbon footprint". I want to leave this Earth, environmentally, a better place than I inherited, if not for me, at least for those who follow me.

Why not go back to the low impact remote lifestyle to reduce your carbon footprint again?
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Why not go back to the low impact remote lifestyle to reduce your carbon footprint again?

I am! but I can even do better. Now what about you?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 09:14 AM

I am! but I can even do better. Now what about you?

I pick up trash when I see it. I try not to destroy anything when I am out in the desert, forest or ocean. I try to only kill animals I am going to eat.

But as far as EV's go, I have seen enough to conclude they are not better for the environment than an ICE vehicle. With that, I will continue doing what I do and the earth will continue to do what it has done for millions of years.... Change!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 09:21 AM

By the way, I just noticed Rivian has a pretty decent cost to lease one of their 4 separate motor trucks to see how they work out in real life and harsh off-roading. Might be a good way to try out EV off-road travel here in Baja without the long term commitment.
Years back we had pre-ordered an R1S but decided to put our money in extended solar instead. Our next EV purchase now that we have the Leaf and a longer distance IC for the rare occasion we need more storage or long trips to meet the next few years demand wont be for a few years yet, so we have lots of time to let the markets settle.
Here's a brief off-road test of the Rivian R1T and its capabilities on the kind of tracks we see down here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRJUDAHh1Q

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 10:24 AM

I pick up trash when I see it.

GREAT, kudos to you!

Quote:
I try not to destroy anything when I am out in the desert, forest or ocean.

PERFECT!

Quote:
I try to only kill animals I am going to eat.

I agree. I am about 90% vegetarian right now, but I find it hard to resist a tasty fish taco!
Quote:

But as far as EV's go, I have seen enough to conclude they are not better for the environment than an ICE vehicle.

Here we disagree and science, research, and comparisons are on my side 100%

Quote:
With that, I will continue doing what I do and the earth will continue to do what it has done for millions of years.... Change!

What you say is true except that we humanoids are accelerating that change in our environment as verified by 99.99% of environmental scientists. I'm trying to leave the next generation a better place than a worse place as a result of me NOT taking responsibility for my personal actions regarding greenhouse gases.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 12:01 PM

99.99% of environmental scientists paid for those results by the government to attain those results.
Not the same thing.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Solid state batteries – From a Google search
https://www.ecolithiumbattery.com/top-10-solid-state-battery...
CATL China
BYD China
LG Chem Korea
Panasonic Japan
Quantum Scape USA, CA
Solid Power USA, CO
Wellon China
QingTao China
Ampcera USA AZ
ProLigium FRANCE

ProLogium Technology (UK company) is currently the world's only solid-state battery manufacturer
that has reached mass production and continues to inspire global battery innovation towards a fully
electric, sustainable future.
Mentioned solid state companies
QuantumScape (CA) said it has begun to ship the initial trial version of a prototype battery cell to
Customers
Other
Northvolt sodium-ion batteries

Here is the latest on development of a anode-less, compression-less Solid State battery is going to be a huge advancement in BEV battery technology, right here in Maryland!

https://electrek.co/2024/06/27/anodeless-compressionless-sol...
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2024 at 10:47 PM

These three models from Rivian may be what Baja needs for an affordable fully electric off-roader. R2 expected to be 45000 (10,000 cheaper than the present BYD Shark hybrid), and a smaller yet R3 even cheaper, with an upgraded R3X rounding out their newer, lower priced lineup.
Heres the writeup from a few months ago.

Even the smallest cheapest model should handle the roads we typically see down here.

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/rivian-announces-mid-siz...

[Edited on 6-28-2024 by JDCanuck]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-28-2024 at 05:14 AM

These three models from Rivian may be what Baja needs for an affordable fully electric off-roader. R2 expected to be 45000 (10,000 cheaper than the present BYD Shark hybrid), and a smaller yet R3 even cheaper, with an upgraded R3X rounding out their newer, lower priced lineup.

Even the smallest cheapest model should handle the roads we typically see down here.

Is rivian still a viable business? I thought they disappeared.

Their signature headlight design is so ugly, hope they drop it in new models.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2024 at 05:47 AM

Well they aren't yet in profit mode and they do feed somewhat of a niche market, previously at higher prices. They are drastically reducing manufacturing costs and just got a 5 billion partnership commitment from VW, who apparently wants their software. But if they don't make those models, someone should, they are the most practical off-road models out so far.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-28-2024 at 06:18 AM

Well they aren't yet in profit mode and they do feed somewhat of a niche market, previously at higher prices. They are drastically reducing manufacturing costs and just got a 5 billion partnership commitment from VW, who apparently wants their software. But if they don't make those models, someone should, they are the most practical off-road models out so far.

"Rivian Loses $38,000 Per Vehicle Delivered In Q1."

https://www.investors.com/news/rivian-stock-quarterly-loss-o...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-28-2024 at 06:30 AM

Without government subsidies (corporate welfare) feeding these companies, they all go bankrupt.

Titan Solar, Greenvolts, etc etc etc. Meanwhile, feels good to "go green" while millions of people struggle with grocery prices.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2024 at 06:32 AM

Similar to Ford or GM on their bigger electrics, (In 2023, Ford Model e reported a full-year EBIT loss of $4.7 billion on sales of 116,000 EVs, or an average of $40,525 per vehicle). but they have the ability to subsidize them far longer. What they all need is either far higher public acceptance or far cheaper batteries. Rivian has the disadvantage of being a new startup without major financial backing til now with VW.

Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.