BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Medical Transport Solutions
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 10:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

I have a very good Mexican dentist.

Be sure you take a prescription antibiotic before you have dental work, of any kind (replace a cap, teeth cleaning, or more extensive, etc.) whether it be in Canada, USA, Mexico, anywhere. Your mouth is full of Staph infection. I learned my lesson the hard way. Don't make the same mistake I did! Staph infection got into my blood stream through dental work in Mexico (it could have happened in the US although I forgot to take my meds with me to Baja) and destroyed my heart valves. I will be on antibiotics for the rest of my life, twice a day. :no: which results in reduced postings on BN ! :lol:

[Edited on 6-13-2024 by BajaNomad]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-13-2024 at 02:06 PM

So far fortunately I am not resistant or have bad reactions to any of the antibiotics generally provided and in the past only needed them occasionally as my immune system fought off other common infections easily. My Baja dentist prescribes antibiotics after dental work, so I take them for the full prescribed term. I did notice she prescribes them for just a week, whereas my Dentist up here prescribes for a full 2 weeks. Have always taken antibiotics after dental work as I was aware of the need for them in this particular case.
Painkillers are another story, as I have never needed the painkillers she has prescribed and just get by with Ibuprofen even with major work. Note: All prescribed medicines in Baja were far cheaper than what we pay in Canada for the exact same meds.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-13-2024 at 03:32 PM

On my second visit to my dentist in La Paz, a tooth that was scheduled for restoration became infected while I was still on my way south the next year.

She prescribed antibiotics and a mild pain medication which I took for a week before she started work on my teeth. I also had to see another MD to get an OK to suspend taking blood thinners until after the work was completed

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 04:53 PM

This has been an eye opener for me, as I have never had a dentist recommend I take antibiotics before or after dental work.

I haven't yet had a root canal, but I have had a number of crowns and a tooth extraction. I haven't yet had any problems from dental work, such as the previously described blood infection. From my life's experience, I believe I have a robust immune system.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 05:19 PM

My dentist has prescribed antibiotics for extractions. I don't think it really matters whether you take them before or start taking immediately after- if there's no infection present for the antibiotics to kill beforehand, I don't see what the purpose would be.

I have taken the antibiotics for the extractions, but personally, I wouldn't take them for routine, non-invasive things like a cleaning or filling. To each his own, and yes, some people have a more robust immune system than others, and don't have to be quite as careful.

When my dentist has done cleanings and fillings, he has me rinse my mouth several times during the procedure with an antibacterial mouthwash, so I'm sure that helps to make sure no infection takes hold.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 08:03 PM

My dentist has prescribed antibiotics for extractions. I don't think it really matters whether you take them before or start taking immediately after- if there's no infection present for the antibiotics to kill beforehand, I don't see what the purpose would be.

According to my US dentist, you must take a prescription antibiotic at least one hour beforehand for even for the simplest of procedures, i.e. a cleaning. Your mouth is the dirtiest place on your body. It is a hotbbed of staphylococcus virus! It is potentially deadly if it gets into your bloodstream, which can happen in a simple teeth cleaning. Been there, done that!

Quote:
I have taken the antibiotics for the extractions, but personally, I wouldn't take them for routine, non-invasive things like a cleaning or filling. To each his own, and yes, some people have a more robust immune system than others, and don't have to be quite as careful.

Good luck with that assumption!

Quote:
When my dentist has done cleanings and fillings, he has me rinse my mouth several times during the procedure with an antibacterial mouthwash, so I'm sure that helps to make sure no infection takes hold.

Good luck with that strategy. My dentist NEVER uses "mouthwash" for these procedures. If I haven't taken my antibiotic pills (4) an hour beforehand, he sends me home to to make another appointment when I do remember to take my pills. He does that with ALL his patients regardless of their immune system, which can't be measured!

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by oxxo]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I attended a presentation today by MASA Medical Transport Solutions. Coverage is pretty impressive: repatriation from foreign country; ambulance denied by insurance; grandchildren covered; companion return transportation coverage; Quarantine expenses; Vehicle/RV return; mortal remains transportation and a lot more. No limit. No deductible. If you live in Baja, Ca., you need a stateside address, and I think he said there is a $50,000 limit on emergency transportation to US. There are lifetime, 5-year, annual, and monthly plans for MASA Emergency Shield membership. A lifetime membership for a family is $5,500; $4,500 single (would have been reduced by $600 if I signed up at the seminar). San Diego rep is Tim, 800-643-9023.

see website

https://www.masaassist.com/

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 09:25 PM

As I said, to each his own. It certainly makes sense for you, as you said you had a blood stream infection from dental work.

Doctors stopped handing out antibiotics like water because bacteria started to build up a resistance to them.

When you said to start taking them before dental work, I thought you meant a day or two- an hour makes more sense, as if any bacteria entered during the procedure, the antibiotics would already be in your system to ward it off. Just like you're supposed to put on sunscreen before going out in the sun, not just after you get to the beach.

Not sure why you would poopoo an antibacterial mouthwash- if, as you claim, our mouths are full of staph, why would you think rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial solution is pointless?

And no, we can't measure our immune systems, but we have some idea of how strong it is. I can work out in the garden, without gloves, my hands covered in dirt, get a cut or a scrape, not go clean it right away, and it never infects. But if I get poked with a thorn, I definitely go clean it right away, squeezing it to try to get any dirt or bacteria out, and dousing it with hydrogen peroxide, because puncture wounds, which can push bacteria into your body, are far more dangerous than a surface wound, which you can keep an eye on.

I also never get colds or the flu and have never gotten a flu shot. And I can be around people with those illnesses and never get sick. But I'm not smug about those things- when Covid hit, I certainly got vaxed and took masking and distancing precautions.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 09:57 PM

Not sure why you would poopoo an antibacterial mouthwash- if, as you claim, our mouths are full of staph, why would you think rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial solution is pointless?

my dentist in the US poopoos mouthwash. He is a medical professional and I follow his directions. An antibacterial pill gets into your bloodstream within an hour where Staph can cause potential lethal problems. A mouthwash doesn't get into your bloodstream.

Quote:
And no, we can't measure our immune systems, but we have some idea of how strong it is.....I also never get colds or the flu and have never gotten a flu shot. And I can be around people with those illnesses and never get sick.

Roll the dice if you wish, but I feel safe is better than sorry. I've had 7 Covid vaccinations, to combat new strains, in the last 4 years - I feel like a pin cushion! :wow: My PCP tells me I should get a Covid vaccination every year now, until a cure can be found.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 10:20 PM

Well, most people have confidence that the medical practitioners we choose to use know what they are talking about. But for every medical professional who says X, there's another who says Y.

If I had just blindly followed the advice medical professionals had given me throughout my life, I would have gone through some unnecessary procedures and taken some unnecessary or dangerous pharmaceuticals. Unless it's some emergency situation, I do a lot of research, weigh risks, get second opinions, and make my choices. And I'm still kickin' with zero health issues.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:18 AM

The brochures I was given reference MASAmts
www.masamts.com search brings up masaccess.com

https://www.masaaccess.com/

MASA MTS "a division of MASAGLOBAL"

"MAS Global, MASA MTS, MASA Assist and MASA TRS are registered trade names of Medical Air Services Association, Inc. ..."
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

He does that with ALL his patients regardless of their immune system, which can't be measured!

There are a number of blood tests for determining how well one's immune system is working.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/body/21196-immune-syst...
"Common tests that check the health of your immune system.
Healthcare providers often use blood tests to check how well your immune system is working. Specific blood tests your provider may order include:
Antibody test.
Complete blood count.
Complement blood test to check levels of specific types of protein in your blood, such as C3 proteins."

Overview of Immune Assessment Tests
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK230966/

[Edited on 6-16-2024 by cupcake]
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 03:02 PM

I have a very good Mexican dentist.

Be sure you take a prescription antibiotic before you have dental work, of any kind (replace a cap, teeth cleaning, or more extensive, etc.) whether it be in Canada, USA, Mexico, anywhere. Your mouth is full of Staph infection. I learned my lesson the hard way. Don't make the same mistake I did! Staph infection got into my blood stream through dental work in Mexico (it could have happened in the US although I forgot to take my meds with me to Baja) and destroyed my heart valves. I will be on antibiotics for the rest of my life, twice a day. :no: which results in reduced postings on BN ! :lol:

[Edited on 6-13-2024 by BajaNomad]

I am sorry to read of your heart valve condition.

I don't know your medical history and if there is some reason you were more susceptible to this type of infection.

My interpretation of what I read online is that in most instances antibiotics are not recommended in association with dental work. This is likely why I have never had a dentist suggest I take antibiotics.

There is much information online about this. I am linking just two articles, as they discuss dental work and heart valve issues:

'Why wasn’t I told to take antibiotics before my dental treatment'
https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-maga...

Antibiotic Prophylaxis Prior To Dental Appointments
https://www.actonsmilehub.com/blog/who-needs-antibiotics-bef...
"For patients with certain heart conditions, prosthetic heart valves, or a history of infective endocarditis, taking antibiotics before certain invasive dental procedure serves as a preventative measure to reduce the risk of bacterial infection. For these susceptible patients, the prophylactic antibiotics help safeguard their oral health and overall well-being. For most other patients though, antibiotic premedication before dental treatment is generally NOT recommended."

[Edited on 6-16-2024 by cupcake]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 04:01 PM

In the situation I mentioned previously, i already had an infection that my dentist wanted to get under control before she started work. On no other visits has she prescribed antibiotics before starting on other procedures.

She does use a hydrogen peroxide-based rinse as needed though.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  

I don't know your medical history and if there is some reason you were more susceptible to this type of infection.

My interpretation of what I read online is that in most instances antibiotics are not recommended in association with dental work. This is likely why I have never had a dentist suggest I take antibiotics.

Thank you, @cupcake. I have no predisposition to this condition.

It is up to everyone to do what they think is best for themselves. I thought I was making good decisions for myself, but it came back to bite me in the burro.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 04:12 PM

For sure someone may have some underlying condition which makes them more susceptible to infections or other negative outcomes. They may not even know they have such a condition, if they have never experienced any symptoms of a condition.

There is an autoimmune disease that some children get as a result of having strep infections, most commonly strep throat, where the strep bacteria causes brain inflammation, called PANS/PANDAS. These kids suddenly start exhibiting extreme neurodivergent behaviors literally overnight. Bashing their heads against the wall, walking endlessly in circles, etc. Most doctors have little knowledge of this condition, and it is most often diagnosed as ADHD, autism, OCD, etc. That the parents say, "No, that can't be, my child woke up a different person literally overnight", gets dismissed as parents somehow not being aware of escalating symptoms over time, or being in denial, or "maybe something is going on at school that is upsetting him".

But these poor kids are suffering from a brain inflammation caused by strep bacteria that affects their nervous system. If it's diagnosed correctly early enough, it is treatable with antibiotics, if it goes on too long, it can cause permanent damage.
But it isn't known why some kids are affected this way by strep and some aren't. They think there may be a genetic propensity, as sometimes more than one child in a family has had this develop.

And on another note, one can't discount some medical practitioners covering their ass by recommending some precautionary medication on the slim chance that a patient could have a serious complication, like oxxo did.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 10:28 AM

Thank you, @cupcake. I have no predisposition to this condition.

It is up to everyone to do what they think is best for themselves. I thought I was making good decisions for myself, but it came back to bite me in the burro.

My understanding was that you had made the right decision for yourself, to take antibiotics for dental work, but forgot to bring them with you to Mexico.

I know you had spent two years on an island in the equatorial region, in a thatched hut. I thought about Chagas Disease, but I assume you are aware of that and it has been ruled out.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by cupcake]
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 10:50 AM

And on another note, one can't discount some medical practitioners covering their ass by recommending some precautionary medication on the slim chance that a patient could have a serious complication, like oxxo did.

I was thinking this as well. I also wonder if 'big pharma' would like every dental visit to require use of their antibiotics. Seems possibly self-defeating though, because of the likelihood of resistance developing.

From the American Dental Association website:

Antibiotic Prophylaxis Prior to Dental Procedures
https://www.ada.org/resources/ada-library/oral-health-topics...
"Compared with previous recommendations, there are currently relatively few patient subpopulations for whom antibiotic prophylaxis may be indicated prior to certain dental procedures."

The statement, "previous recommendations", implies that there has been a change, that antibiotics recommended in the past for dental work are no longer recommended to the same extent.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:11 AM

I know you had spent two years on an island in the equatorial region, in a thatched hut. I thought about Chagas Disease, but I assume you are aware of that and it has been ruled out.

While Chagas disease does attack one's organs, if medication controls oxxo's heart condition, as far as I'm aware, that isn't possible if one has contracted Chagas. If treated soon after infection, Chagas can be wiped out, but once it takes hold, there is a steady progession of all the organs shutting down and there is no cure.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:52 AM

I think oxxo is taking weekly antibiotics to prevent heart valve infection.

It might be unlikely that oxxo has Chagas Disease, but I thought I should mention it. Chagas Disease, in its chronic stage, can be identified with a series of two tests.

Chagas Disease is 100% curable in its early (acute) stage. Once it becomes symptomatic in its chronic stage it might not be curable. However, 70%-80% of people with Chagas Disease never develop symptoms, they remain asymptomatic for life.

Chagas Disease in the U.S.: What We Do and Don't Know
https://asm.org/articles/2021/april/chagas-disease-in-the-u-...

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by cupcake]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.