Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: heading to BOLA
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-22-2024 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Just got back from a Bahia de Los Angeles trip (Locals hate when you call it BOLA, btw).

Are those the locals with teeth or the locals without teeth?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2024 at 07:45 PM

I have some friends who vacation every year in a town near me called Lo de Marcos. They always refer to it as "Lodi". I've never heard any local or resident expat refer to it like that. I couldn't even figure out what they were talking about the first time I heard it.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2024 at 09:40 AM

Just like calling it Cali. Never heard a Californian refer to it like that. If we abbreviate it, its always NorCal or SoCal but never Cali!:biggrin:

Basically, I think North Americans are linguistically lazy. Unlike Spanish and many other languages, think about how many of our words have totally silent letters thrown in just for fun. The word Queue comes to mind. Then let's not waste our time coming up with new words. Instead let's just use a word we already have but just give it a different meaning. We don't even bother to change the spelling, just the pronunciation or we can change the spelling but keep the same pronunciation. Or for real excitement we can keep the same spelling and pronunciation but still change the meaning and let the listener figure it out. Whereas for the most part with Spanish, if they put a letter in it, they expect you to annunciate it. Which is probably why we have trouble getting our mouths to twist into the unique shapes necessary for proper Spanish pronunciation with the many letter combinations we quit trying to pronounce years ago and just left them silent and then just for fun let's roll our R's. Because Spanish mostly requires the pronunciation of every letter, is what I believe to be the reason locals speak so fast. It's so that they can complete their greeting to one another before the lunch hour over.:lol:

In Memory of E-57
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2024 at 06:00 PM

JimBobros - If your seadoo trailer contains a seadoo - be aware that those and jet skis are not allowed in BDLA (not BOLA). Use at your own risk of getting a ticket or having it confiscated, because whale sharks are still active at this time of year - I believe that the ban is year round though.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2024 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
Basically, I think North Americans are linguistically lazy.

If we are going to be accurate about place names, you should say Americans and Canadians. Mexicans are North Americans, and while we commonly refer to the area between Mexico and South America as Central America, technically it is a subregion of North America.

And if you think Americans and Canadians are linguistically lazy, they don't hold a candle to Australians, who shorten everything. Some even call their own country "Straya". (Some call it Oz, but that's more often used by non-Aussies)

I also noticed about 20 years ago the proliferation of what I call baby words in English. What we used to call a hooded sweatshirt is now called a "hoodie", a self portrait photo is a "selfie", an infant's one piece sleeper is a "onesie".

[Edited on 9-26-2024 by surabi]
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 09:31 AM

And what those infants do in their onesie is a twosie :)
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

If we are going to be accurate about place names, you should say Americans and Canadians. Mexicans are North Americans, and while we commonly refer to the area between Mexico and South America as Central America, technically it is a subregion of North America.

Actually I have been corrected by Mexican friends that remind me that we are all Americans. I'd say it is more accurate to refer to the USA and Canada as North America, Mexico to Panama as Central America and south of there as South America

In Memory of E-57
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by marv sherrill  
JimBobros - If your seadoo trailer contains a seadoo - be aware that those and jet skis are not allowed in BDLA (not BOLA). Use at your own risk of getting a ticket or having it confiscated, because whale sharks are still active at this time of year - I believe that the ban is year round though.

The ban on jet skis is year-round in the protected marine areas in sea of cortez.

Ban is not just for protecting whale sharks. Protects all marine life, and protects humans from the annoyance too

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Seems like it.

In any case, intentionally disrespecting given names-- of individuals or places-- may be considered offensive, and in spite of whatever other parts of Spanish we might butcher and be forgiven for, it gains points to show respect by paying attention with names.
:yes:

Funny. In baja it seems like every local i meet has a nickname and no one goes by their given name..

Shortened names and nick names are universal. It is not disrespecting to use nicknames, abreviations, etc.

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 01:52 PM

Agree, yet their is a tizzy by a few Mexicans (on Facebook) if anyone calls the place "Baja" or "The Baja" (La Baja)... as a nick name for Baja California or the Baja California peninsula. :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-26-2024 at 02:07 PM
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Actually I have been corrected by Mexican friends that remind me that we are all Americans. I'd say it is more accurate to refer to the USA and Canada as North America, Mexico to Panama as Central America and south of there as South America

Since there are two American continents, a North American continent and a South American continent, it seems that everyone living on these two continents, and their associated islands, are all Americans.

National Geographic considers North America as starting at the Isthmus of Panama:
https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/north-amer...

However, I see that National Geographic also seems to consider Greenland as being part of North America. Does this mean that people living in Greenland would also be considered Americans? They might not appreciate such a distinction.

Most sources I see that denote a 'Central America' do not include Mexico in this region. They consider Mexico to be a part of North America.

[Edited on 9-26-2024 by cupcake]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2024 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
[/rquote]

Funny. In baja it seems like every local i meet has a nickname and no one goes by their given name..

Shortened names and nick names are universal. It is not disrespecting to use nicknames, abreviations, etc.

It isn't disrespectful to call someone by a nickname, if that is the nickname they go by. It is only disrespectful to use a nickname or shortening if the person you are addressing doesn't go by that name.

I have a friend who everyone used to call Sandy, but at some point she decided that she preferred Sandra. If I had continued to call her Sandy, (other than just using it by habit, before getting used to calling her Sandra) that would have been disrespectful.

My plumber is referred to as "Gordo" by the Mexicans who work with him. His real name is Daniel and I asked him why he is called Gordo, as he isn't fat- he's a big guy- tall and large-boned, but not at all what I would consider fat.
He said, "Well, but I used to be fat. I lost 60 pounds on my doctor's orders." I always called him Daniel and I really don't know if he perhaps didn't like being called Gordo, but just accepted it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.