[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 07:39 PM

welcome to Mexico

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:22 PM

Thanks for all the info from everyone about this topic. I hope someone learned something. Bruce, you couldtnt have said it better . "Welcome to Mexico"

It's such a great place because it's so unpredictable.

....and of course a million other things too!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 08:40 AM

Too bad $11 is ruining your vacation!

Lori, just increase your boat ride fee by $11 and not try to explain Mexican politics to gringos who think the American way of fair business is practiced everywhere they vacation.

If $11 is too much, then they sure don't need to go all the way to Cabo to fish or ride a boat!

Best of luck to your business, and keep on telling us exactly what you find in Cabo, no matter if it is fair, legal, or dumb...
Afterall, one can enjoy the whole entire Baja peninsula without Cabo, as it is on the very tip... So, don't shoot the messenger (Lori), she has taken the time to post the info. here!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:57 AM
Local stamp issue

I know that PESCA's policies change at whim but in Loreto any vaild Mexican fishing license is acceptable whether or not it was purchased or stamped in Loreto.

I just had a couple from LA come and fish who used annual licenses purchased in a local LA tackle shop and have stamps from BCN. Lots of guys that come here from the San Diego area have annual licenses because they fish the Mexican waters off Baja Norte, perfectly legal.

In taking a look at my own license issued in Loreto the stamp doesn't say anything about being from Loreto, it is actually half the stamp, the other half being on the internal copy in the PESCA office. And the zona de pesca is "Litoral Mexicana" which means its good any Mexican waters.

What's that office in Cabo pulling anyway?

I'm glad to finally see that in Cabo they're requiring it too as the licenses have been enforced since 1997 here and very strictly too.:cool:
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:00 PM

Yeah ok,
I guess I should just let everyone take all of my money because thats the way it is in Mexico, right? Get real! Everyone should try to make all business in mexico legitamate dont you agree? It's not $11 dollars David, its the principal that someone out there is trying to make an extra buck (Not Lori or Cabo Magic) when I have paid already for a year long Mexican fishing license. I have nothing against Cabo Magic and I appreciate Lori for addressing this issue, however it could not be resolved, so....I will still fish Cabo but with someone who accepts a year long Mexican fishing license.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:01 PM
You guyz in Cabo can buy them in bulk??

I sure wish we could. We cannot. We need to know the angler's names and states or residence and dates of fishing before we can buy them. Its been like that for two years now as others have abused the pre-buy method. I do charge a fee to get them as its a hassle and our time is worth charging for. I also photocopy all of them and put into client files so we have all the information to fill out the bitacoras (embarcation papers).
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:23 PM
In looking harder at this stamp...

...or my half of the stamp it does say "eto, B.C.S. I guess that's the second half of "Loreto" so the stamp does identify Loreto. But still its supposed to be good for any Mexican waters as it says. I remember getting Ethan his license and cannot understand why it won't work in Cabo San Lucas. I remember hearing this issue with Cabo before though..
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 04:18 PM

Hi Pam! I so appreciate your jumping in too ..

As re: Ethan - I told him he could take his license in to the PESCA office for their ok, which is what I do whenever anyone comes in with a license purchased from anyone other than us ... Its not up to me to ok the license, so I defer all to the agency official to decide. Sometimes they are ok'd and sometimes not - not something I understand but, not my job ...

As I stated, Ethan misinterpreted my answer which led to 'this' thread and series of accusations and attempted clarifications. However, for whatever reason in his private email to me, he demanded a refund which we gave.

I cannot offer any explanation, reasonable or otherwise, why, other than what I have already provided .. I suspect its partly due to the aforementioned boat owners comlpaints that led to the ensuing series of events and enforcement that may or may not make sense to anyone ... and as everyone makes a point of, Cabo is 'different' in many ways. I certainly have no intention of confronting any official and insisting on an explanation of his/her 'decision'.

Yes we do buy licenses in bulk - and have been for a long time. This is perhaps another example of how the same 'agency' operates differently in Cabo than in say Loreto for example ...

Most of us want everyone to operate their businesses in a manner 'consistent' with the standards that Ethan refers to .. but this is mexico ~ ahem ...

A possible topic for another subject thread would be "Tell us about the situations you encountered where the answer to a question, or the rule changed because the wind changed direction" ...

A friend of ours in Cabo, an expat who has lived here for nearly 20 years recently shared a tale that would fit the topic nicely ... He had to travel to the USA to take care of some paperwork but needed first to update his Mexico papers ... everytime he went to the local Immigration Office they were 'out' of the particular document he needed ... what to do what to do! Needless to say, by the time he returned from the USA, they had changed the form anyway and had to start all over anyway ...

Those of us that operate a business in Mexico are quite familiar with the changing climate and attempt to be able to seamlessly accomodate our guests - We ask that visitors and guests try to understand we are not the rule makers, rather, as David K points out, the messenger ...

I never pretend to know all the answers ~ and welcome the opportunity to learn something new ... leaving room for the everchanging parameters we find ..

Thank you all for your time and understanding.

Lori Garcia
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 04:22 PM
Pam

I used to get multiple licenses at the Pesca offices in San Diego. I bet you could send them the money and get as many as you like.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 04:31 PM

even if you git the licenses you don't have the rubber stamp and that is what makes it legal.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 04:41 PM
Bruce

I'm still confused about Los Cabos needing a special license or "stamp".
But, when you buy a license from the Mexican Dept. of fisheries, or any number of u.s. tackle shops, the licenses come stamped, T's crossed, I's dotted and ready to use in all Mexican waters or get lost in the luggage.
I've personally never asked for the special "Cabo" stamp and figure I would be laughed at if I asked for one at the Mexican Dept. of Fisheries.
I'm sure it is just a misunderstanding but, there is no such thing needed to fish in Mexican waters.
I wonder if that bridge is still for sale in the pesca office down there as well!:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 5-2-2005 at 04:48 PM
From the Dept of Fisheries point of view !!

WE INVITE YOU TO PRACTICE RESPONSIBLE SPORTFISHING

Oficina de Pesca, 2550 Fifth Ave., Ste. 101, San Diego, CA 92103.

Telephone 619-233-6956; Fax 619-233-0344

Any non-resident alien 16 years or older must possess a valid Mexican Sport fishing License before fishing in Mexican waters. This license covers all types of fishing and
"is valid anywhere in Mexico."
Everyone aboard private boats in Mexican waters must have a fishing license if there is fishing gear of any kind, or fish, or fish parts on board. Licenses for people fishing on commercial sport fishing boats are normally provided by the boat operators. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. Fishing licenses are issued for periods of one week, one month, and one year, effective at 12:01 am on the starting date specified on the license application. The prices for Mexican fishing licenses are as follows:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 06:10 PM

Jr. as far as I know you are right . all the Licenses we sell here come from Mexican Dept. of fisheries. and are stamped by there official stamp. and the dept. tells me they are good in all Mexican waters.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 11:28 PM
I live in Loreto so...

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
I used to get multiple licenses at the Pesca offices in San Diego. I bet you could send them the money and get as many as you like.

..this suggestion would be damn near impossible. Would you tie up thousands of dollars waiting for fishing licenses that may never come, or go to the local office in town and just deal with their local bull instead?:lol:
I think you have the answer.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 11:30 PM
Thanks for the Dept of Fisheries point of View

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
WE INVITE YOU TO PRACTICE RESPONSIBLE SPORTFISHING

Oficina de Pesca, 2550 Fifth Ave., Ste. 101, San Diego, CA 92103.

Telephone 619-233-6956; Fax 619-233-0344

Any non-resident alien 16 years or older must possess a valid Mexican Sport fishing License before fishing in Mexican waters. This license covers all types of fishing and
"is valid anywhere in Mexico."
Everyone aboard private boats in Mexican waters must have a fishing license if there is fishing gear of any kind, or fish, or fish parts on board. Licenses for people fishing on commercial sport fishing boats are normally provided by the boat operators. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. Fishing licenses are issued for periods of one week, one month, and one year, effective at 12:01 am on the starting date specified on the license application. The prices for Mexican fishing licenses are as follows:

but the local Loreto PESCA office requires licenses even for children under 16 years of age if they will be fishing. They however do not require one of a passenger on the boat is not fishing! Local interpretation TODAY that may change tomorrow, no foolin'
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 11:32 PM
And now that you know that the law is in the eye of the beholder

you know that it also changes at whim. what the CSL office requires differs from what the Loreto office requires and we as operators are at the whim of whatever the hell it is they require of us. In the case that started all this, I would have done the exact same thind as Lori did, send client to the PESCA office and let PESCA office make the call. She cannot set policy only PESCA can do that and she must follow her local office's rules period.
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 07:09 AM

...... and I haven't ever saw a representative from the local "Pesca office" checking for licenses that they issue. In Cabo it has almost always been the Port Captain backed up by the Navy, or vice versa. On the ocean (back and forth from US to Cabo), it has always been the Navy, except for some brave Army guys out of La Salina a few years back.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 07:19 AM

the PESCA office dose send people to check in this aria.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 07:37 AM
And now that you know that the law is in the eye of the beholder

Sheesh, I was just trying to help Pam. Didn't mean to ruffle you or your cohorts feathers. I would say that this is a crock and that you two obviously know more than the Mexican Fishing Dept.:lol::lol::lol:

So then, when I or someone is out fishing and get asked for the Mexican Fishing License, I show it to them and they say it isn't any good here, what happens then.:lol:
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 08:19 AM

Good day greetings all ...
JR - I do think you enjoy stirring up a good pot-o-stuff .. not that I dont enjoy the banter you create once in a while - its an interesting break from the realities of my day ... and not that I dont think what you do isnt more often than not incredibly good hearted and deep rooted in the goodness done ...
Pam - I have always admired you and sent you private emails to that effect - Now the Nomad World knows too .. & heres why: Being a business owner/operator and a female and an american too requires nearly unimaginable tenacity, intelligence, diligence (both due and absolutely necessary and continuous followup) and larger than life patience. Keeping the business operating has its own set of 'issues' .. Keeping crews working has several perspectives to consider: Getting them work, and alos getting the TO work .. people whose soul history of tradition comes from generations and who are sometimes fine with a fish and a beer every once in a while .. vs the idea of getting up every day and working ... Now of course not every one falls within either category as that is the beauty of human-being-ness. Point being there are challenges beyond the obvious that we deal with regularly, and, for myself, until we began operating a business in Cabo in 1994 I did not consider, nor care about, any of 'these' issues.
I am going to try and address as many spoken as well as insinuated issues as I can.
As to who checks the licneses Durango: Every day we encounter something 'new'. At 6am, the Port Captain 'usually' has a manned aboat at the marina departure and every boat must hand in to that person a document (we call this a dispatch) and on this document is the name of every person aboard, including crew. Sometimes the PC Office shares this boat with someone from the PESCA office and one or both of them can, at their discretion, ask for Angler Licenses and/or any other document for that matter. Any boat not having any document asked for can be sent back to get it, or them. There are days this boat is not where it is supposed to be, and, sometimes it arrives later .. go figure ... There are also times when the Navy sets up 'shop' and randomly, or perhaps deliberately, selects boats to check. I am not privvy to know who gives them directives as to who or when to check boats - here again all I hear is WHEN it is happeneing in the marina, as news travels fast - However, because we at CABO MAGIC follos ALL the rules we are give to follow, we dont flinch or worry about these events - we do however, feel badly for guests and visitors, who are a oftentime understandably unnerved about a 'teenager with an AK47' standing in front of them while another teenager reviews paperwork. Sort of like that first experience at a Military Checkpoint - its certainly not something one would experience in the USA (I know there are even going to be arguments made here for cases where folks get pulled over by a control freak patrol officer in the boonies of some town who causes some heart palpitations) but it is something one eventually gets used to, especially those who travel the Baja Pensinsula with any regularity.
And now on to The Dept of Fisheries document - "Fishing licenses are issued for periods of one week, one month, and one year, effective at 12:01 am on the starting date specified on the license application." So how come we all get to sell DAILY licenses?
Peace y'all. Gotta get to work.
And, on behalf of our staff and all crews, we look forward to having you in our beautiful paradise of Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico where the sunshine, crystallline waters, and tropical beauty awaits you!

Cordially, Lori Garcia

Tommy & Lori Garcia's
CABO MAGIC Sportfishing Keeping it reel ?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.