Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: FISHING - BAJA GEAR
Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Alan you must be a lot tougher than me.I had a 6465xxh,hurt me bad.Same with the 700h. Might have been okay if I cut 6 inches off of it.ULUA! You are a lot tougher than me!

I'm not that tough. I use the 6455 not the 6465. It's only 5'6" to reduce the leverage. At 9'3" I'm not sold on the ULUA yet but I have heard a lot of good about them. The length is what is making me stop and think first. I'm only 5'9.
RichardCranium

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 08:48 AM

40# pink ande line. Good hi speed reel capable of holding said line. and a solid one peice 7 ft rod. 5 krocs in various weights and colors. 5 4" sardine pattern plastics with 3/4 oz lead heads. 5 rebels or repalas in salt water sizes and colors, cant go wrong with blue and white. A couple of lucky joes for catching bait, and a pack of owner hooks. Black swivels, black wire leaders in 40#.
Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 08:49 AM

Hook and Osprey. I didn't mean to imply there wasn't less expensive, quality, equipment available but he asked about a free-for-all in a tackle store so I offered my opinion as to what I thought was best. For more reasonable quality reels both Daiwa and Newell come to mind. I do love my Trinidads though. They just feel different than any reel I have ever used but they have a similar design with the Toriums without the bling at about 1/2 the price. Unfortunately I have never fished one so it wouldn't be fair to comment on them. Another less expensive alternative are the new Avets. I have heard a lot of positive about them as well but again I haven't fished them. I am confident that there is so much experience on this forum that we could set him up with an excellent quiver of tools for any specific budget.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 09:12 AM

Good ideas all. As for lines, I won't economize much there...too important in all types of fishing. Like I said to my wife when talking prices....You wouldn't economize on a pacemaker, would you? These rods and reels will last me a long time, so I will be looking for quality.

On another thought for Baja...My boat will probably be too small to go far offshore when it's rough, but a buddy has offered me to join him in his fishing boat for those times...I don't know much about this type, but it's a Boston Whaler Outrage 21 center console. I read something about them being a 'Boston Bouncer?'..hope that means something other than what I think? From how he describes it, seems to be well set-up.

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 10:08 AM

...they're a great boat...you should try fishing on one...smooth, stable, and dry...pricey, but worth every penny...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 12:33 PM
Whistler

This is a banner day. I haven't seen so many posts from you in months.

Anyway, my small addition to all this advice is that one of the biggest problems in baja is either the absence of quality lures or the difficulty in getting it or the high cost once you find it. So you have to make each lure last as long as possible. I do that by usijng Pline. It's very abrasion resistant. It will feel smooth in your hands after days of fishing. I also often use a wire leader. That's especially true when I start running out and there is still a lot of time left of my vacation.

I fully agree with Whistler about one of the greatest pleasures of flyfishing is that you're in direct contact with a living thing. The fishes movements are transmitted directly to the nerves in your fingers and that is one of the great highs of fishing. I, too, started with dad hadlining from Santa Monica pier and that was one of the great things back then. I still sometimes just peel line off the reel, lay the rod aside, and just fish the old way.

Regarding trolling. I too hate it in it's basic form. But when I see diving birds I do end up trolling in the area. Same with rocky points. So targeted trolling is OK in my book. Trolling around kelp paddies for dorado - yes. Trolling open water for them just kills the spirit, though.

And finally Gene Kira. I don't think Gene ever claims to have been the fisherman that Neil Kelly was. So I don't see him as some sort of impostor. The trolling thing that the book recommends is really Neil's thing. I have met people who tell me that Neil was a great editor of the Western Outdoor News and his editorials and fishing reports were not to be missed. That the quality of the baja section has deteriorated since Kira took over. I don't know since I don't read it much. Neil's writing is more humorous and I do like it a lot. IMO opinion 'The Baja Catch' is the best book ever written on fishing the baja peninsula. Just the maps themselves are invaluable. It's practical, well organized, and packed with information. You can be a total novice to baja and just go down with that book and do pretty well. It doesn't cover every aspect of baja fishing and it says that. The bluewater guys scoff at it and that's fine. If you're after marlin, wahoo, or those types of gamefish (and a lot of guys won't consider the other species) then the book has little for you.

Personally I find Neil Kelly to be one fascinating man. He's one of the true baja legends.

Gold and orange rebel is a good one. Just as good as blue and silver. Why, I'll never know. But it works...

Oh, I almost forgot. I agree with the earlier post about trout fishing. As you get older the fishing becomes one of the least significant parts of a fishing trip. There is a lot to say on this subject. The adrelin of youth overwhelms all else during a fishing excursion and they love the excitement of it all. After fishing for years you start to pay attention to the little things around you. The smell and feel of the salt air when you launch the boat on the pacific side. The shadows of the kelp fronds descending into the depths when you're in those kelp beds. The mystery of pulling mackerel in the dark quiet hours of predawn. That's the essence of fishing. It's really not the catching any more. The ones who come to realize this early on are the lucky ones.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 01:36 PM

whistler..muchas gracias for so much valuable info. I am thinking I need a much bigger tackle box. The lines, knots, and other advice is much welcomed. Your enthusiasm tells me volumes.

Alan, that long 9'3" rod might be too much for me, even though I am tall, but will test one out at Fisherman's Landing where they let you gear up and pitch things into the water nearby.

Richard Cranium, (nice touch, reminds me of a cap that read "Methinks thou art a bonehead"), thanks for that concise list. Consider it done. A small, but general kit. Perfect for going on another's boat without cluttering it with lots of gear.

aquaholic.. thanks for the info...you make the Whalers sound good. From your handle, I will assume they have a huge cooler.;D

Skipjack Joe..all these things and more do I want to do regarding fishing. I love the water and have felt a kinship with the flights of pelicans and diving birds I have seen at sunrise out there. I would imagine I will be testing out what style of fishing suits me most...jigging, casting, trolling, flylining, blue-water species and bottomfish..it all sounds good to me.

I think mostly I want to grow old (older) with a friend in a boat fishing the Cortez. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

(Oh no...I said 'cake'....hello, FARASHA.)

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
...... a boat fishing the Cortez. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

(Oh no...I said 'cake'....hello, FARASHA.)

Right HERE, the alarm went off again - :bounce::bounce:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 03:28 PM

I could write forever about fishing but here are just a couple of observations:

Trolling: The best thing about trolling is the breeze it creates on a HOT and HUMID August day with no wind. But sometimes if you are prospecting offshore and the fish aren't showing themselves, or they aren't showing inshore, there's not a whole lot you can do. When you have to troll, slow trolling a live bait will not hammer the fish as much as fast troling a feather, so the fight is better.

For me, though, usually the goal of trolling is to find a spot where you can fish, not troll. And I've done better casting to a visible billfish or dorado that rying to troll a bait by them. And, I love to cast.

Line: I like Berkley Big Game, P-Line, Izor for thick heavy line. I'm trying some Sufix now and like it. But when fishing bait inshore, I like green line. I really like to use green line inshore. Like for yellowtail fishing, with live bait, I like green line.

Did I say I like green line?;D
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 05:40 PM
Me too!!

This is funny Whistler. That's exactly what I used to do. I would ditch school (I went to Hollywood High), strap my rod to my bicycle, and ride it to Santa Monica pier. I just like the feel of the place. My day consisted of kingfish and perch. Then I would ride back home and make sure I arrived by 4PM. That was the expected time from school.

And I know about those boats you're talking about. They were yellow, made out of wood, and rented for $3 a day without a motor. They would lower them with ropes while you sat in the boat. Dad and I would row out to the breakwater and fish for buttermouth perch. I once caught an opaleye off those rocks that must have been at least 8 lbs. We would make bait by climbing on the rocks and breaking off mussels. Once in a while a large wave would come over the rocks and partly swamp the boat. The bags of sandwiches would be left floating in the mess. Wet sandwiches - yummy. But the best fishing was on the ocean side of the breakwater. We would anchor up off the breakwater with an eye on the rope being just the right length. The surge would carry our little boat right towards the rocks and then <twang> it comes tight just as we are about to get smashed and pulls us back to safety. Oh what memories. More fun than that amusement park down a few miles, POP.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 05:37 AM

My Answer to your Question>

First-Learn Spanish.

Second -Find a Local Mexicano Pangaero who has fished the Area for many years.

Third- Pay him $50 a Day to go in your Panga to "Teach you the Sea of Cortez and its Fish.{Throw away all the Fancy GPS's.Sonar,Mechanical
Garbage you see on the Modern Boats.

Fourth- After you have Learned the Water and How to stay Alive When"It thunders and there is no Clouds". get a Penn 500 loaded with 40lb Test and Fish to your Hearts content.

Fifth--If you want Sharks go to a 6/0 Loaded with 125 Lb. Test.{Give the Catch to the Local Mexican People for Food/Sale"

Sixth- Bait depends on the time of year and Water condition- Catch a Squid-use a small Strip floated on Top of the Water-Move off a 100 yards and wait for the Action- DrinK a Carte Blanc with the Opener on the Bottom.

Seventh: Yellowtail during the Summer- 220 Feet Down with a Salas Jig.

All of the above can be learned from a Good Mexican Fisherman who has fished the Waters for many years.

You can catch all the fish you want and can Eat with out making the Fishing Industry Richer with all the "Gimmicks" that make you Think are better than good old Fashion Knowledge and Work.

Skeet/Loreto
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 07:41 AM

Skeets, I couldn't agree more!!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
You can catch all the fish you want and can Eat with out making the Fishing Industry Richer with all the "Gimmicks" that make you Think are better than good old Fashion Knowledge and Work.

Skeet/Loreto

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane
Skeets, I couldn't agree more!!

Well, whatever, but I'm not giving up my purple/pink aluminum reels!:lol:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:21 AM

Second Advice:

Get an Aeronautical Chart of the Area; Learn the Peaks and Valleys- Learn Triangluation.
Check with your local Guide-Which you do not have to use each time you go Fishing.
Watch the Water, The Birds{Suggest you go to Delefonso in April-Get up about 30 feet on the Island and watch what the Action of Segulls " Also gather a few Eggs for the Local Mexicano Families who love to Eat Them.

Go to Pt. Lobos-Check the Water and Weather- Head on a 030 Degree Course for 3/4Hour at 3/4 Speed whci will put you over a Great Reef.

Now I can also tell you many other Spots to Catch/Watch the Golden Cabrilla Herd the Brown Cabrilla- Where at times you can catch Lingcod- AmberJack to 80 Lbs.-an Occasional Sea Cat--HammerHead Shark- Yellowfin Tuna to 70 Lbs.- Pez Gallo with a "Straggler Jig" in September--

Large Dorado in November and many others, but before I go further you must complete your Training on the Sea of Cortez- Then I can send you Pictures and Location, Times of Year etc. which will end up making you the Envy of all those Fisherman in their Fancy Boats who Run over more Fish than they Catch.

Relax, learn the People, Life is too short to miss out on all that Good fishin!!

Skeet/Loreto
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:31 AM
Skeet/Loreto, Gracias! it appears you have... been there, done that

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
My Answer to your Question>

First-Learn Spanish. .... ("Right you are, this was our first order of business..Si, gracias, ahora estamos tomando lecciones.")

Second -Find a Local Mexicano Pangaero who has fished the Area for many years. ....("Luckily, last year I met a couple of old timer panga fishermen through my Mexican compadre and we hit it off pretty good. One named Xavier let me copy an old US Navy map/depth chart from 1948 marked with some rockpiles which he says always has some fish.")

Third- Pay him $50 a Day to go in your Panga to "Teach you the Sea of Cortez and its Fish.{Throw away all the Fancy GPS's.Sonar,Mechanical
Garbage you see on the Modern Boats. .....("Last winter I went out in a panga to catch those giant squid..what a mess! My skipper, Victor, used fairly simple gear...a huge lure with spikes and a stout fishing line. Fun but a little hard on my arms. My wife tried a recipe, but it must have been for the little guys..cause it was not too tasty! No more big squid..unless for bait, as you say.")

Fourth- After you have Learned the Water and How to stay Alive When"It thunders and there is no Clouds". get a Penn 500 loaded with 40lb Test and Fish to your Hearts content. .... ("I wll check out the Penn 500. Seems like a lot of fellows I have met own Penns.")

Fifth--If you want Sharks go to a 6/0 Loaded with 125 Lb. Test.{Give the Catch to the Local Mexican People for Food/Sale. ....("Don't know if I want to fish sharks, but if one comes along who knows...? My mapfriend, Xavier, told me of a shark fisherman who bled to death from a shark's bite long ago, but I think he was hanging over the side while there was a lot of blood from cleaning sharks...something I don't intend to do.")

Sixth- Bait depends on the time of year and Water condition- Catch a Squid-use a small Strip floated on Top of the Water-Move off a 100 yards and wait for the Action- DrinK a Carte Blanc with the Opener on the Bottom. .... ("Yes, we have learned that squid and shrimp heads make good bait...but never used it like you said. We used a hook and sinker and bottom-fished. Will try that strip floating without the weights.")

Seventh: Yellowtail during the Summer- 220 Feet Down with a Salas Jig. ..... ("Are there any other jigs besides a Salas that work..I have already bought some in different colors.")

All of the above can be learned from a Good Mexican Fisherman who has fished the Waters for many years.

You can catch all the fish you want and can Eat with out making the Fishing Industry Richer with all the "Gimmicks" that make you Think are better than good old Fashion Knowledge and Work......("Very good thoughts on keeping things simple. Also for making local friends..couldn't agree more. I think we are on that path already. I am looking forward to saying Hi to some amigos again. My wife, who comes from a large farm family, can relate to the closeknit families of our friends..especially the children who grab her skirt and run around calling her 'Reina'...which means queen.) ..edited from Rey to Reina as prompted by aquaholic..sorry, my memory is not so good at times...don't be so picky, at least I remembered part of it!

Skeet/Loreto

[Edited on 11-12-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:35 AM

More on the tackle. Even though I love the simple things in life, I can't give up my compulsion to stock my garage with every lure and piece of tackle known to mankind...I have waited too long!

Also on those landmarks, Skeet...Xavier showed me his way to find a certain clump of rocks. You lined up a small island with a white-looking patch on the mountainside behind it and kept those two things in line while motoring ahead in a straight line. Then you looked to the side about 90 degrees and watched the mountain top horizon until this little spiked mountain appeared along the ridgeline...and presto!..there was this bunch of rocks just below the boat. A wonderful day on the water..even if we didn't catch much.

[Edited on 11-11-2006 by Summanus]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:44 AM

Hey! You are on your Way!!!

When you see a group of Pangas fishing a small School of Dorado- Move off a couple Hundred Yards- Put a Small piece of Squid on a Large Hook- Place a very small Lead Sinker{Bass type} above the Swivel on a 6 Ft. Leader- that drops the Bait about 2 Feet below the Surface- Hold On because many times the Very Large Dorado will stay away from the School of smaller ones- I caught my Largest Dorado that way. My Wife still has me Beat as the ole Timers Measure the Head from Top to Bottom for Judging the Largest Fish--She Caught one that was 18 Inches top to bottom- about 57 Lbs.

I saw a new Fisherman gaff his large Dorado and sling it into the Panga- It cost him a Broken Leg!

Good Luck and God Bless

Skeet/Loreto
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 11:01 AM

I love the romance of finding that pile of rocks again by using those landmarks.

I have also put a gps/sonar/fishfinder on my wish list..made by Lowrance, it's in living color even! It should be almost like having a tv camera underwater.

Now for that sure-fire fish scent in a bottle.

You can see where this is leading to...!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 11:10 AM
speaking of sounders("fishfinders").......

who has a favorite? i have had 3....i really couldnt recomend any that ive had. the ones ive seen that work well cost a fortune. i had a chance to use a $8000( fureno on a charter boat a friend has) unit that did exactly what i thought it should. so far i havent been happy with the $500 type.....any comments?
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 11:44 AM
My choice..so far, anyway

I have read good things about Garmin for gps, Lowrance for sonar. Looked at Garmins Bluewater Pro for around $250, then this one from Lowrance..a little pricey, but has some awesome features that should keep me busy on the fishhunt.

"High-definition TFT color sonar/GPS+WAAS with precision chartplotter features. The built-in 20GB internal hard drive is preloaded with high-detailed mapping and charts, including over 2 million Points-Of-Interest! These maps and charts are displayed on a huge 10.4" diagonal display that outputs 256 colors with SVGA technology on a liquid crystal TFT display at an incredible 600V x 800H resolution! NMEA 2000® compatible for networking"

- a LCX111CHD_large -.jpg - 18kB

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.