BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: A new answer to an old question?
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 01:15 PM

Oso, nice to meet another Nomad hunter. We have enjoyed outdoor hunting sports all our lives... before it became 'off-topic', so to speak. ;)
Best not go there..I fear we are outnumbered!

I agree on those lottery or bid hunts...for oil shiek-geeks or mega-rich trophy hunters. There is private place in New Mexico where 4 permits are bid on per year....not a thing I want to do. We are free-lance in most everything and used to doing things for ourselves, including a lot of Baja-related activities. I, too, prefer using the smokepole for close stalking and finding the mark within 100 yards or less. Glad you sensed the humor on eastern whitetails..big they are, but crowded.

I grew up bow-hunting with a Browning Magnum recurve 62lb. short bow in some of the best mule-deer and antelope ranges in the west. I would get out long before dawn ..sit quietly in the woods and become one with nature. I would sit so still the squirrels would steal the peanuts from my vest pocket. My wife often says I have not forgotten this skill. Are you married or can you do pretty much as you please?

Plenty more deer, elk, antelope, turkeys, etc. these days than ever before in US history...thanks to our Game & Fish departments and sportsmen's efforts. But..we have far too many roadkills around our place, too. When you are out driving here, those 'eyes' show up too often...keep alert! That fine hair drifting in over the radiator always makes my nose itch.

The return from hunting in Sonora is a real pain in the burro.

Hey, y'all turn up that there dueling banjo music, grover! Or better yet, play Ravel's Bolero for old time's sake...ah, that brings back memories!

stir..stir...stir

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
'Bout those knives for skinning deer etc., Buck or Case, folding blades. :bounce: A good saw is a must.:bounce:Fileting fish? :?:The jury is still out on that. :D Use two knives. One to cut the filet, very sharp, another to shave the skin from the flesh, not quite as sharp.;)

I agree, Cypress. Bucks have always been a carry-along for me. Case was my childhood folder. Remember those mumbley-peg times! Watch out for the toes!

But for filleting fish: Some skins are super tender, like brookies, cuts, lakers, walleyes, sierra, pintos, etc...some are real hides, like sharks, pargo, triggers, etc. I know what you mean about using a duller knife 'sometimes' to get the skin off a filet, but after literally doing thousands of fish over my lifetime commercially and as a sportsman, I can say that MOST OFTEN a sharp blade will win the day. We agree to disagree..and nice to yak with you about fish.

I'll bet my fishing buddy below wishes that he had used a sharper blade! ;D

(I didn't cut his head off to protect his identity, it's just because he is SO dang ugly.)

- bloody decks.jpg - 42kB

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 02:19 PM

banjos, we don't need no stinking banjos! that's what cousins is fo, we play wiff dem....

pig call do any of you get it??

sorry bout Rufus and Granny, thalidamide or did they lie to you? Maybe granny was married to her big brother?? just askin Lucias...

One mo thing, if'n I hunt wif yo fellas, can I ride Uncle Norm?? yeehah!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 04:28 PM

For skinning triggers- a good pair of pliers.

Grover, my furry blue friend, I much prefer Rathergood's "We like the moon".

Speaking of backstraps; My neighbor just gave me some from one of those Sonora muleys. Any good recipes? I'm tired of worcestershire sauce, thinking about Italian dressing and in the oven a short while or would the grill be better? I'm guessing somewhere between 1 to 2 lb.

On a different note, Customs is really peeing a huge load of people off with exaggerated and purposefully slow inspections, at least here at San Luis and Algodones. Old farts (older than me) who can't depend on "Depends" are losing their places in the 3 hr. pedestrian line when they have to bail out to attend to physical necessities. The vehicle line hardly moves at all and stretches back all the way through town and down both sides of Mex 2. Many are complaining that they are treated "like terrorists" just for getting a few meds at the farmacias. Algodones dentists are crying about the loss of business. This is BS.:mad:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 05:08 PM
Oso-----

FINALLY they are beefing up the border inspections!!!! 50% of the folks want the border checks more stringent and thorough, and the other 50% want them more liberal.

Who is right??? Well, if some terrorists slip thru the border guess who is going to howl the loudest????? Yep, the lefties, that's who.

I vote for stiffer border inspections, and I am willing to put up with the inconvenience (or not go down there at all).

(You brought it up) :spingrin:

Barry
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 05:45 PM

Yeah, can't be too careful about all those octegenarian, blue haired suspicious characters with their walkers and Hawaiian shirts. Likely Al Qaeda indeed! Heaven forbid we should engage in -gasp- racial profiling! :o

If that's the way you feel about it, tocayo, be prepared to sit in line for several hours and bend over for the finger wave. Oh, and be ready for $10 lettuce. If you only go to Baja once or twice a year, maybe you can deal with that. Those of us who live along the border think this is bullchit. Our farmers are paying $9/hr for labor and plowing under fields of prime crops because they can't get enough hands to pick it.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2006 at 06:02 PM

WE have roughly 12 to 15 million "workers" already in this country---------where are they????
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 06:53 AM

There's a "catfish skinner" on the market, been available for years, looks sorta like plyers, but is made specially for skinning fish.:spingrin:
About that backstrap! :) A little butter or olive oil is all you need.:spingrin:;D
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
WE have roughly 12 to 15 million "workers" already in this country---------where are they????

My guess would be all over the country, in restaurants, hotels, construction crews and packing houses. Our problem here in Yuma County is not with illegals. There is so much BP "heat" around here that the illegals don't hang around to work in the fields, it's too risky. They slip in, get stashed in safe houses and smuggled on by the coyotes. For many years, the lettuce harvest has depended on SLRC residents with legal visas to cross daily up to a 25 mile limit. The current problem is that the inadequate POE facilities and exaggerated slowdown with processing is making it too difficult for the legal workers to get across. To report for work at 6am, they need to get in line at 2am. Not much time left for sleeping. Retail businesses on both sides are also hurting. It's just too much hassle to come here for shopping or go there to dine out.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 10:55 AM
Oso-----

Excellent response, and excellent "point".

I stand down.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 11:54 AM
Border watch...Northern Division

US/CANADA MINUTEMAN SNIPER

Those dang Canucks will NOT get all our mall's good bargains home!

- Hunts - Deer-Elk Camp (3).jpg - 42kB

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 12:50 PM

I find it amusing that they are hiding in your neighborhood. They are standing on the corner in my neighborhood every morning. Never could figure out why local law enforcement totally ignores them. I suppose they need probable cause so as to not be accused of profiling.

Still not sure how this thread got here from knife sharpening?
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 01:15 PM
back to knife sharpers

Well, okay, if we must...here's some tips on the sharpening process.

The mistakes commonly made in sharpening are uncontrolled edge angles, failure to establish a new edge, and leaving the edge too rough.

The keys to success are:

1) Use an angle guide to control the edge angle,

2) Sharpen until you raise a burr, and

3) Hone or polish the edge smooth.

Some stones I have seen state that you should hone like 'trying to slice a thin layer or a decal off the stone.' This is bad advice, and here's why: most people won't hold a constant angle this way. the sure-fire way is to use a guide to maintain edge angle.

- honing angle.jpg - 14kB

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I find it amusing that they are hiding in your neighborhood. They are standing on the corner in my neighborhood every morning. Never could figure out why local law enforcement totally ignores them. I suppose they need probable cause so as to not be accused of profiling.

Still not sure how this thread got here from knife sharpening?

My apologies for getting us "off-topic" here. Skinning knives led to hunting and that led to my neighbor's difficulty getting back across the border from a Sonoran hunting trip. One more comment on your comment and then, yes let's get back to knife sharpening please. The reason the mojaditos hide here is because they are being actively hunted by hundreds of BP agents with a major operations post and 24 hr. patrols. That's their job and they're pretty good at it. The only reason any get through is sheer volume and some luck. The reason other law enforcement personnel don't want to get involved is simply because they figure they have enough to do already, are not trained in immigration matters and don't want the extra burden. Politicians in some areas are trying to force that role on local cops. In other areas, there have long been subtle pressures from the business community to leave things as they are. One thing most BP and other LE personnel around here agree on is that they are both trained professionals in their respective areas of expertise and they don't need any amateur gun-toting vigilantes getting in the way.

Now, back to them blades. That angle guide does look like it helps to get a more correct edge- back home at the garage workbench. But what about in the field or, as mentioned, on a rolling deck?

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 02:46 PM

Is that dude sitting up behind my house?:tumble:
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 03:19 PM
Sharpeners for the boat or camp

Oso..Lansky makes a handy folding ceramic rod sharpener called Fold-A-Vee. It folds for easy carrying and features two angle settings for filet and hunting knives. This may be the best camp/boat sharpener out there that I have found, but is not as handy in a boat or campsite as the following two.

There are gimmicky hand-held V-sharpeners that are mostly junk, but one or two are okay in a pinch. You put the blade against a gunnel or bulkhead... edge-side up and carefully, but firmly, draw the sharpener down it's length. A quick-fix.

The first is a very good one handheld for only $2 at most sporting goods stores. The Normark knife sharpener is a slot gadget that really works...and at 2 bucks everyone should have one or two. It has two sets of ceramic rods set at 20 degrees. The medium gray rods sharpen and the fine white rods hone. I have used it to restore a slightly dull blade to shaving sharpness. At $2, it surely is the Best Buy. The Normark's 20 degrees is perfect for touching up a filet knife where the initial edge was 17 to 18 degrees.

There is one class act in every category, and I think the Meyerco Sharpen-It is it for these slot gadgets. Designed by Blackie Collins to be so simple that it could be used on horseback, the Sharpen-It has tungsten carbide wheels for the first stage and fine ceramic wheels for the second. The ceramic is so hard and fine-grained that it is more like using a steel. With this combination, the Sharpen-It performs well at both sharpening and honing.

Drawing the knife through at an angle decreases the bevel angle and gives a more razor-like edge. Also unlike others, the Sharpen-It can be used equally well left-handed. It is so compact when closed that it can be carried in the watch pocket of your jeans. The unit well built and sturdy, and features a tapered hone for serrated blades.

Well, that's not as fun as joking about snipering our buddies up north, but it's follows the thread!

Because I use these two sharpeners a lot, I will post their pics. First is the cheap Normark..a good buy.

- Normark for boat.jpg - 14kB

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 03:22 PM
second..the MeyerCo sharpener

p.s. they run about $30.

[Edited on 1-1-2007 by Summanus]

- MeyerCo.jpg - 43kB

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 05:55 PM
Summanus-----

Many thanks for the Suggestion and recommendation.

I just ordered the "Meyerco Sharpen-it" on line from "Knife Works" for $20 plus S&H----total about $28.

Once more the NOMADS have helped me out------------NEAT :tumble:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 06:50 PM

Quote:

Now, back to them blades. That angle guide does look like it helps to get a more correct edge- back home at the garage workbench. But what about in the field or, as mentioned, on a rolling deck?

I would think that if you start your trip with a good edge on all of your knives you should be able to maintain it with a steel out in the field, boat, whereever...

Also pliers work fine on triggers once you have cut around the fillet. I have had best luck with a sharply pointed knife to poke into the fillet and then cut from the inside out. Once that is done I use the same knife to cut a finger hole in the skin near the tail. Stick your finger in the hole and pull...no pliers!
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2007 at 12:59 PM

Yup, Alan...making a finger-hole works well for triggers. The tough skin doesn't tear and it peels nicely, making the rest of the filleting job easy. We have done that for dorado, yellowtail, cabrilla, you name it...also for certain fins up north. All you need to do is slice enough skin back to grab ahold of and pull...usually from the tail to the head. Filleting and skinning is fairly routine for most species...the fun part is the catching!

Who would have thought sharpening edges would be so much fun?

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.