BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dorado? ..fishing maps.. and gps waypoints.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 11:31 AM

Pomp: very nice - thanks.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 12:46 PM

Pomp;
If I had the know-How, I would make a Map like yours for the Loreto Area.

Pulpito:North around the Corner from the Point is some very good Shallow-Water Fishin- years past has produced LingCod- Also I have Snorkled and watched Large Schools of Large Cabrilla being "Herded" by the Goldens.
About 1 mile due East of Pulpito there is a Mount where I have caught 51 lb. cross between a Pargo and Cabrilla at about 105 Feet--I never have used Depth finders so may be inaccruate on the Depths.

For Firecracker Yellowtail, midway between Pulpito and Delefonso, I have caught many on top of the water using a Spinning Outfit casting a Medium size CastMaster into the School as it feeds.

Excellent Map- To bad that Muelge is no more the "Grouper Capitol of the World"-use to Fly into the Hotel Muelge when Saul was operating it- Lots of 150 Grouper on every Trip.

Notice: Anyone wanting my information out of Loreto- u2u me/Fax me a Map and I will mark it and return-
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 01:13 PM

hey Skeet, want any maps of the Florida Keys back country?

goin home to Baja mid May!!!!!!!!!!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 01:53 PM

im guessing that Jose Torres or one of his boys will be the first to catch dorado but they are a little south of Loreto

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 03:29 PM

Thanks Amigos; I will give it a shot.

I think you may be right about Torres. If I wanted the First Dorado I would head for Catalana then back across, depending the location of the Seaweed. Sometimes that Lone Rock off of Agua Verde will attract a few early arrivals.

Later

Skeet/Loreto
idleguy

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 12:42 AM

Thanks Pomp!
Your reports and map are great.

Being a 'newbie' on this board and fishing the area, all of this info is of great value to me. Besides, I haven't got thirty five years left to figure it out on my own and too cheap to pay somebody to take me out.

Leaving Wed morning for Burro. Can't wait to get back there and work on my tan that I lost when I came home in March.

We'll have to get together for a brew or something as were almost neighbors. If I could throw a rock over the hill behind my palapa I could hit Coyote!!

ps: Thanks for the after Easter pics...At least I know it didn't burn down....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 03:54 AM
Welcome aboard, idleguy.

Quote:
Originally posted by idleguy
Thanks Pomp!.....
We'll have to get together for a brew or something as were almost neighbors. If I could throw a rock over the hill behind my palapa I could hit Coyote!!

ps: Thanks for the after Easter pics...At least I know it didn't burn down....

Good to hear you are a neighbor. Stop over for a visit and we can yak about fishing and shoot the bull. I will introduce you to some other old liars...er, fishermen.

Here are some old photos that will interest you... a near-deserted Burros Beach, 1975, from the rock paintings across the highway. and from the top of the hill separating our beaches. I almost built a house up there on the high flat point. We dubbed it Roger's Rookery amongst ourselves. Harrison Evans of Mulege owned the whole hill and we discussed building a road...which quickly became too difficult. But wow, what a view!

[Edited on 4-15-2007 by Pompano]

-1  a a Burro pics 1975.jpg - 47kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 03:58 PM

Thanks for the map and methods, Pompano. Not all fishermen are willing to share that kind of information. I'm glad you did.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2007 at 02:46 PM
some info that may help get you a nice dinner...

I just read Don Alley's request on Skeet's thread, 'Loreto area maps', for any gps waypoints Skeet might have laying around...but, like me, I am sure Skeet did not have any gps equipment in those early days.

But I do nowadays. And have had it since the technology came along. Maybe Skeet will tell us if he did, too?

Anyway, that got me to thinking that it would be helpful to share some locations of 'fairly-predictable' areas for a fish dinner. Fishing is fishing, so nothing is ever gauranteed, but I have always caught some fish at these spots..and hope you will too. So, if you have a gps, then here's some co-ordinates that will hopefully take you to the fish.

These will be mostly reefs and rock piles in the area from San Marcos Island to Pta. Teresa (Sta. Rosalia to San Nicolas village). These are mainly reef fish, not the pelagics. You can expect to catch these...maybe!...Grouper, cabrilla, pinto, snapper, parrotfish, pargo, trigger, etc...all good eaters.

Off Pt. Conception for pintos, graysby, and maybe some cabrilla:
N 26^52.997
W111^44.809
depth = 225ft. (rock pile)
4 oz. iron to bottom..hit immediately.

South of Pt. Conception for cabrilla:
N 26^43. 946'
W 111^36. 934'
depth = stay in 35-50ft. toss iron or troll lures (rocky flats)

Pt. Terasa: cabrilla, snapper, barred pargo, roosterfish
N 26^42. 924'
W 111^35. 053'
depth = 28-50ft
troll with Mirrolure (shore points)

Offshore Pta. Chivato: Wild shot for yellowtail: (these are roamers, so this is just generally a good place to start)
N 27^05. 869'
W 111^55. 002'
depth = 200-250ft.
live bait on bottom or flyline

North of San Marcos seal rocks: Good for yellows, cabrilla...sometimes sharks and seals.:rolleyes:
N26^16. 262'
W112^05. 818'
depth = hump at 150' over deeper.
troll, live bait flyline and bottom, toss iron....watch for boils

Now, if you get lost in the fog or it's a dark lonely night...these are co-ords for getting back safely to the Mulege estuary:

Mulege:
N 26^54. 038'
W 111^57. 155'
Note...go slow when entering Mulege estuary...watch your depth to the ramp on portside (left).

Tight lines!

[Edited on 4-17-2007 by Pompano]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 10:04 AM

Pomp: It will be interesting when I do some Maps and the Points are Crossed Checked with Waypoints.
I have three request so Far.

2 years ago when I went on my last Panga Trip with Aovaro, we just went to a "Hole" just North of Coronado and caught 3 nice 30Lb. Yellows. This Hole has been there for many years{I have never seen anyone Fishing it}

Same goes for "Tio's Hole" just off the South Point of Coronado.

P.S. I still drive by a Map- No facny Do Dads to tell me where to Drive. Just like the Visual and Mental Excersize to solve Where I am and Where I am Going.

Skeet/Loreto
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 12:59 PM

At one time those "#'s" were closely guarded secrets, worth their weight in gold and only divulged under extreme duress.:D:)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 01:16 PM
No big secret anymore, Cypress...we all know these spots.

Times have changed a lot, Cypress. It's a big ocean and there is room for all of us. Besides, any angler around these parts can tell you where to go to fish...but you still have to catch 'em. When we were commercial fishing salmon in Bristol Bay, you could not have tortured us enough to divulge our good co-ords back then...we even had our own 'windtalkers' for the vhf's...Innuit crewmembers. I really haven't felt the need to keep any fishing information a secret in the SOC since the day I first wet a line here..the more shared, the better. After all, it's only fishing..

Now if you were to ask me where my prized and very loose slot machine is in Mesquite, NV. ..I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you. ;D

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 01:27 PM

Pompano,:tumble::bounce:About those loose slots?:)
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 04:12 PM

Attached is a picture of one of four dorado I caught this afternoon in the canyon ENE of Loreto. Yesterday, fishing the canyon due east of town I caught and released my first marlin of the year, a striper around 100 lbs. The dorado may or may not be the first caught out of Loreto this year, Andres' fish stories notwithstanding, but I know that my marlin was not the first. That distinction goes, I think, to Bill Klaser and his son-in-law Rick Ramirez who caught two stripers a couple of weeks ago fishing on Bill's Cabo. The ambitious little dorado took marlin lures. After a photo op. I sent them on north with my best wishes. Pomp, they should be off Mulege around the 27th. You are welcome to all of these little peanuts that you want, but be advised that when the big bulls start making their way north in a couple of weeks we will make our best effort to pick them all off, one by one, before they make it past Isla Ildephonso

4-20 (Small).jpg - 50kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 04:18 PM
April 19 Loreto Striper

4-19-07 (Small).jpg - 48kB
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 09:14 AM

Way to go, Bill! Thanks for building some anticipation on the dorado and marlin arrivals up here!

A couple of very good friends are flying in to Loreto manana and we hope to do battle within a day or two. Catch and release some of the big ones for us and we will recatch and send them back your way!

Winds look bad here for the next 2 days..so maybe by Monday or Tuesday??

Don Jorge...stop by for a cold one at mi casa and say Hi to your pheasant buddies.

Tight lines, all!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.