Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Isn't anybody fishing?
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 11:44 AM

It's free. I may fish, with my neighbor. If we can get a boat; mine won't be ready. He brought this poster over today, that was delivered to his house:

gc.jpg - 25kB

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 12:07 PM
I said I was miffed

I don't mean to lessen anyone's win nor do i think that Bill didn't deserve it. I don't udnerstand why the news about this event is saying "The purpose of the Governor's Cup Fishing Tournament, according to the "Cabeno" entrepreneur, is to honor the families of the sudcalifornianos fishermen, in their effore to promote and improve the sport fishing industry and the tourism that it brings to our community." (fron the new Loreto News page 14 current edition)

How do you think that some of the pangueros can compete against a boat like Bills? I understand that anyone can join and if that's the rules, that's the rules but I don't appreciate the way its being put over like a philonthropical event, which it may be.

If this was for the benefit of tourism (and not propoganda) then how come the tourism businesses don't even know about it and cannot promote it? Just doesn't add up, that's all.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 12:11 PM
delivered to his house?

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
It's free. I may fish, with my neighbor. If we can get a boat; mine won't be ready. He brought this poster over today, that was delivered to his house:

How come I didn't get one delivered to my house, my husband is a panguero and we've done a lot to promote tourism in Loreto. Never got one at my store, the cooperative didn't know any details of this event thats to take place in a week as of this morning, I'm located in a hotel in the center of town and nobody here knows about it either. Weird marketing no? Its for the pangueros, yet they don't know the details of it and the extranjeros are getting posters delivered to their door. sorry but this is strange and irritating to me.

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:

How come I didn't get one delivered to my house, my husband is a panguero and we've done a lot to promote tourism in Loreto. Never got one at my store, the cooperative didn't know any details of this event thats to take place in a week as of this morning, I'm located in a hotel in the center of town and nobody here knows about it either. Weird marketing no? Its for the pangueros, yet they don't know the details of it and the extranjeros are getting posters delivered to their door. sorry but this is strange and irritating to me.

I didn't get one delivered to my door, I said my neighbor did. He's a local, and a poster also went up at the marina. If his uncle or someone else we know is available we'll go out and play, otherwise he will fish the "open" category from shore at PE for pargo or cabrilla. He has no boat, can't afford to charter one on his own. And neither of us believe it is only for captains.

Disorganized? Well, lots of things are disorganized here, aren't they?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 02:51 PM

pompano did you here anyhing about a guy ...
lets say "marty" ...
catching two dorado yesterday 23 miles out?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2007 at 05:26 PM
C&R - Tailing fish

... apparently causes damage to the fish you're releasing. At least with salmon. Here is the quote from a study:

"Note that pulling a fish by the tail stretches the backbone, breaking blood vessels along the spine. Blood seeps into the surrounding tissue and forms a bruise that cannot be seen until the salmon is filleted or split."

Here's the full read:

http://alaskaseafood.org/fishingprocessing/salmqual.htm
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 08:06 AM

Barbless: Good for lures, but with live bait? I've been using some Gamahuchamucha brand hooks with very small barbs, really good circle hooks, but I've lost a few more baits than usual. Tough when you have a poor bait day, you're down to one or two mackeral and the one you just pinned on comes off.

Beer: Anyone tried pouring beer down a dorado's throat? Some captains in Zihua did that, for fish that we killed. Settled them right down, well, except for one bull that then jumped the gaff and caused all kinds of excitement in the boat. I wonder if it does any harm to the gills, or is just temporary.

Tailing: The source for that was for treatment of kept and killed fish. So maybe that's not even a good method for bleeding a fish destined for the filet table?

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 08:19 AM

The canvas slings/stretchers work.;) About that beer?:o
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano[/

Beer, Don? BEER!? ...utter nonsense, you leave that beer with me...and use Cola-Cola like everyone else.

Isn't giving a Coke to a dorado is like giving sugar to a hyperactive 8 year old? Besides, the Cokes are for me.

:lol::lol:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I want to try and get to San Fransquito this year. I've heard it's possible to catch firecrackers right of the beach.
Anybody know if that is true?

Definitely true. I've seen yellowtail caught from the beach at San Francisquito many times. Not always just firecrackers either. Used to happen pretty regularly in the late summer.

++Ken++

Ken,

We will be going to San Fransisquito this October for a few days. Are the Jurels there that late?

Ken
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 11:07 AM

I know people who swear by pouring a shot glass of vodka on the gills of a hot fish to calm it down. I've never tried it, but I always assumed that the alcohol just intoxicated the fish--since those gills are designed to absorb oxygen from water, I suppose they would readily uptake alcohol, and I doubt a dorado has much tolerance for even beer.

Now the question is, would a drunk dorado revive to chase another lure?

Pompano, how many people does it take to operate that sling? Sounds like a great idea if one has the room and the crew.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 11:15 AM
Entonces, no bueno

As I was taking this picture my buddy said he felt the sound of bones in the tail. It had been gaffed and may have already been dead but it started me out on this whole tailing thing. I think it may have to do with the weight of the fish and the width of that tail. There's a lot of weight in that body up front and when that fish starts thrashing around as you're holding it it must put a lot of stress on that tail. That's probably when the damage occurs. These creatures aren't meant to be out of the water. They're not built to handle that weight without the support of water.

pff21.jpg - 46kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 11:47 AM

Used the slings/stretchers for sturgeon, had to handle 'em very carefully due to the fact that they were listed as an endangered species on that particular river. :D 200 lbs was about as much as two people could lift by hand in a stretcher.:D Hard on the back.:yes:Caught some that were way to big for two people to lift over the side of a boat in a sling, 11 feet long or so.:D The stretcher method of landing fish is fish friendly.:bounce:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:

I didn't get one delivered to my door, I said my neighbor did. He's a local, and a poster also went up at the marina. If his uncle or someone else we know is available we'll go out and play, otherwise he will fish the "open" category from shore at PE for pargo or cabrilla. He has no boat, can't afford to charter one on his own. And neither of us believe it is only for captains.

Disorganized? Well, lots of things are disorganized here, aren't they?

My bad on assuming your neighbor is a non-Mexican Don. OK fair is fair. Since there are no known rules except that the species are dorado, yellowtail, wahoo and tuna, and that there is a shoreline and high seas category as well as juvenile and adults categories, do what you wish.

I am just being the messenger at this point. The local newspapers have been saying that this event is being put on "in appreciation of the efforts towards tourism that the fishermen and their families have put fourth over the years". (Does that describe any of the extraneros that plan to participate?)

According to El Sudcaliforniano, and the Loreto News (in English and Spanish), the governor's cup was supposed to be the duty of the president of the municipio to promote. Maybe he's been busy so this hasn't been done very well.

I believe that it would be wonderful if this gift to the captains and their families was indeed only open to them. My consessus at the marina this morning was that several want to join but have no money for fuel or no boat. Don, lots of people don't read the newspapers here for various reasons that I won't get into. I do read it online and this event has been mentioned for months and the wording is that it is supposed to be for the captains. So back to the guys at the marina who want to join but don't have the money. Do you think they're enthused about this tournament? They get to compete against boats that are more powerful and funded by persons who can afford as much fuel as they want. Its likely a that foreigner will win. Then what? Will they pay taxes on the winnings? Are they now permitted to make financial gain for their days out on the water as per their immigration document? Its not that easy. For Tournaments which have foreign participants, the winnings and prizes are supposed to be taken out of the country immediately after the eventtakes place. I know this because this is a facet of my business and I have run a tournament before.

So OK there are vague rules and they will allow a foreigner to participate because ?? they want to be polite? they want to have lots of participants ?? or they don't understand the rules themselves?? or ?? If you didn't understand the gift that is being given by a very generous person in appreciation to those who work in the industry and benefit others that's fine because maybe you don't read Spanish but now I am letting the message out and its your decision.

So that you don't think I'm just a party pooper lets instead of competing against the local guys, lets BACK THEM FINANCIALLY. Lets pick out a favoirte captain and fuel their boat for them so they can participate. There hasn't been much working in May for these guys so chances are great that they just don't have the scratch to participate (or the enthusiasm because of who their competitors may be). Another requirement is that all have valid fishing licenses. So now we're looking at at least $50dlls in fuel each day for a four stroke driven panga and another $30-50dlls for a fishing permit... Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could do that instead, then cheer them on?

This is a motivational event among the captains who work hard and who help allow tourism to thrive here. Tourism is Loreto's only industry and this generous man from Los Cabos (whose name appears in the links I posted previously) who has organized the series of events understands that.

hats off to that dude! :dudette:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.