Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Farming Tuna
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 05:51 AM

Tuna farms capture their "stock" from the open ocean. Waste on the bottom is a problem. Disease outbreaks? All things considered, would rather see fish farms than unrestricted netting and longlines.:D
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i'm kinda like jerry...

i don't understand why it's a " a negative impact on the local tuna schools"??

the tuna are confined
fed
and butchered

sardines should "know" the rules and keep out of the pens

there are other tuna in the open waters...
they will span...

isn't it better that longliners and netters are not "raping" the fish from the sea???

i really don't understand why this type of tuna farming is a problem???
it provides a year-round source of fresh tuna to the population.

educate me...:saint::saint:

I guess what I was trying to say is that the tuna they "farm" come from the "local" tuna population.
When I go fishing from San Diego on the big party fishing boats I've watched how they get the fish.
1 boat takes the pen (empty) 50-100 miles offshore where the schools of tuna are at.
2 or 3 three other seiners work the schools. They grab a big scoop of tuna and slowly drag it over to the pen. They continue this until all the tuna are in that pen. Then the one boat slowly drags the pen full of tuna back to Ensenada. Another boat with an empty pen replaces it and this operation continues until all the tuna are now in pens in Ensenada.
The party fishing boats fish the same schools or at least try to.
But like I said last year the fishcounts were way down and the boats had to go much farther to find fish. Where do you think all the fish were?
When I passed by there last week there might have been 50 pens in the bay.
I don't see how this can be good for the tuna schools or the enviornment in that bay.
Fishing in the SOC is lots of fun but nothing compares to pulling up on a huge school school of boiling yellowfin out in the pacific and throwing bait on them. On a good stop I've caught 2 or 3 20-30lb fish in an hour before. And there might be 2-3 stops like that.
On 1 trip I caught 3 bluefin and the smallest was 55lbs. The biggests was 75lbs. I lost a couple and I had to stop fishing even though we were sill hooking fish cause my arms were ruined.
But we're just not seeing that in the last couple of years and I suspect the pens may be why.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 06:13 AM

Excellent Postings!

What would be the outcome?
Stop all taking of Fish, thereby stoping Profit, stoping People from eating???

Should the Chinese develop a Pill made of Rice that would be consumed each Day for Nourishment?

How do we Feed the Masses without using the Sea, the Land, the Air, the Water ??

Do we take all the Profit out of Labor? Then what happens to the Consumer??

The Central Valley of Calif. is one of the worse Toxic Places in the World--It comes from the Production of Food for the Masses. But the Toxicity does not Kill as many as the Production Feeds!!!

I do not think that Production of Food will stop until the Production of Humans is controlled to a Balance through Famine, War, Govt. Plague, etc.

Mabe Nostradumas was trying to tell us all something when he said" The yellow Horde will swarm the Earth. {Looking for Food?}

Skeet/Loreto
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 06:59 AM

The Mexican govt had commisioned an 8 year study on the impact of the tuna pens on the halibut spawning grounds along the coast of Salsipudes. After two spawning seasons evidence was clear that the number of fish and the size of the juveniles was way down. Those involved with the study were told by the government agency that a decision would be made after the 8 year study was concluded, no matter what the evidence was. I wonder how many of the officials who issued permits will be in place by then?:(

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 07:09 AM

These tuna are for a high-end, luxury food market, to generate big profits. Not to feed the masses.

This is also an uncontrolled, unmanaged fishery, as is the fishery needed to harvest their feed. The best available science says these species are overfished. So we develop new fisheries and new markets to further exploit the declining fish stocks?

I really wouldn't care that much about tuna pens if they existed in the context of a properly managed fishery. But they don't. And if the aisian marketplace dictates the elimination of tuna stocks, Mexico will oblige.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
The Central Valley of Calif. is one of the worse Toxic Places in the World--It comes from the Production of Food for the Masses. But the Toxicity does not Kill as many as the Production Feeds!!!

Skeet/Loreto

Yesterday, I drove by one of the most Toxic Places of the Central Valley. P.U.! You can smell it for miles as you approach the area off hwy 5. Cattle standing in their own dung, waiting to be slaughtered. It's so bad nothing grows there. Bare ground with your future dinner sprawled in the dung. The whole filthy mess being watered with sprinklers to keep them cool.

Regarding the pens:
Maybe they should keep them over deep water, off the continental shelves. The waste would have a longer drop to the bottom and the bacteria could do their thing. Probably not a good long term solution.
coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 09:07 AM

Those tiny little rings in the Pacific would be better than the huge farms destroying the bays. The YFT pens in the Bay of La Paz would be of more concern. Tidal flow vs. current.

Last year when the Tuna Federation cut off the migration west of San Quintin, there were stories of people racing to the schools spotted by the helicopters. Maybe they could get a hook-up before the battleship got there.

THE MINNOW must be lost!!!!!
coconaco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 09:19 AM

LOBOS
The big big sea lions get into those pens damaging and consuming mass quantities of product.

This should help our fishing. Our last yellow tail trip in BOLA
you could only get the firecrackers to the boat. If the fight lasted more than five minutes the seal would steal it.
We need tuna pens in LA BAY and at CEDROS ISLAND and
off La JOLLA and off NEWPORT. We will be able to boat the bigger fish. Dropping the anchor is not a dinner bell!

The industry says that high lobo mortality rate in the areas of the pens is unrelated.

[Edited on 5-14-2007 by coconaco]

coconaco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 09:27 AM

These net pens were not showing up on radar and boats
have gotten entangled at night. They need to be better marked and away from shipping lanes.

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 10:37 AM

For the chu-toro and o-toro demanded by the Tokyo marketplace, these ranched bluefin must consume TONS of sardines.
These sardines are seined locally (Todos Santos bay) and are being decimated.
No sardines equals no WSB, yellowtail, etc. etc.

Asinine.

But hey, makes for fun sidebar stories:

http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26764

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
coconaco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 11:56 AM

Thanks Slowmad- no big deal just another day a work-
The first strike weapon works well on the sea lions.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 11:56 AM

Farm salmon tastes bad and has odd texture, when compared to wild. Also, studies show that farm fed salmon have higher PCB content. I saw some catfish farms in Vietnam that didn't look too appetizing. Never seen a shrimp farm.
When shopping, I avoid all farmed fish/shrimp, and pay the extra $$ for wild.
Likewise, avoid meat raised in crowded conditions, such as feed-lot mass-raised beef and chicken from the big foster farms type warehouse cages. If the raising conditions don't look appetizing, do you think the meat is very appetizing?
:no::no::no::no::no:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 12:09 PM

About those farm raised catfish. :) The Mississippi delta is the #1 catfish farming region of the country.;)The farm raised catfish actually taste better than most wild fish.:tumble: "Basra?" are farm-raised catfish imported from Asia, probably fed on human and duck doo-doo.:barf:
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coconaco
Thanks Slowmad- no big deal just another day a work-
The first strike weapon works well on the sea lions.

Jump in there unarmed with an adult bull lobo and see who ends up wearing the skirt.
:lol:

Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 12:36 PM

Did she slap you?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 12:58 PM
Right Slowmad

I feel at the rate of exploitation, the tuna(and other pelagic) fish will be obvious in less thamn 10 years. It's no joke and no lark that these pens that look so miniscule out there are having an enormous impact proportionally.
It isn't so much that the tuna are being decimated(hard to tell) but the baitfish really are key to successful fisheries. After the great sardine fall of the seventies, action was taken to help restore and protect sardine stocks. Call it coincidence but as the little fish rebounded so did other predator fish. Most importantly, white sea bass and tuna species. These are fish that show up on the radar screen. As the numbers of sardine and anchovy increased so did the animals that feed upon them. Mexico has terrific waters for tuna. The Japanese and Koreans are well aware of Bajas' abundant schools of these fish. Purse seining and the subsequent relocation of these fish ushers in scenario quite unlike any other and unproven methodology. As more rings are added the amount of food necessary gets bigger and bigger to feed these guys. Hence, less for others.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 01:12 PM

The harvesting of sardines etc. to feed the tuna farms results in a lot of pelagic species going hungry, slim pickings.:O
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 01:28 PM

so cypress that's a drawback...

otherwise there hasn't really been a really good reason not to farm...

Japan, Korea, and sushi eaters get tuna all year round...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 01:32 PM

The gill netters and purse seiners have to be given the same respect as the long-liners. None, until they quit biting the hand that feeds them.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 02:18 PM

Bob and Susan. Enjoy your site and posts.:bounce:Farms are private property, the oceans belong to all of us.:spingrin:
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.