BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Reels and more Reels ??
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:27 PM

Zane Grey with Captain Dan at Avalon with the 150 pounder he caught on that day when everything went wrong. Remember how the captain swore when there wasn't enough wind for those kites they used and tuna boiling all around?

ZG_tuna.jpg - 50kB
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
..using a Thompson .45 submachine gun to 'fish' in Cuba. Probably best to have avoided his fishing holes, too!

Hmmm..........mebbe a fish got away the day he died and there was a shotgun nearby.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:34 PM

Remember RC? It took me a while to figure out he was Zane's brother. Here he is working a marlin off San Clemente island.

RC_on_the_job.jpg - 47kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 05:43 PM

Those big Hammerheads are fast and deadly. :) Look kinda like a bomb going off when they explode in a school of mullet.:)
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 11:11 PM

That marlin may have been the inspiration for Old Man & the Sea . Hemingway and Pilar were quite a combo. I saw a sistership in Florida several years ago. I'd love to have one, though wood boats need to be marrried, not just loved.

[Edited on 5-17-2007 by BajaBruno]

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 08:14 AM

U.S.S Mary ann........30' Egg Harbor1968,twin flat head sixes!
After I bought this I had no time nor money for anything else:lol:............But I did love that boat!
baitcast
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-17-2007 at 08:38 AM

Pomp when I bought the boat gas was 65 cents,slip fee,s 1.50/ft.........I thought what the hell I can handle that,2 years later gas 1.30$,slip fee,s 3.25$........That ended that,went back to cartopping Baja:lol:
baitcast
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-17-2007 at 09:34 AM
Just shot up !!

:lol::lol::lol: Pomp you just sometimes kill me:lol::lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 11:47 AM

Jeez!! That reel looks a lot like a high-tech come-a-long.:)Could use it to snake out logs.:)
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 07:41 PM

The main problem is deciding what you want a reel, or a rod for that matter, to do. Since I started building custom rods, I am totally amazed at how much a custom built rod will add to the function and purpose. So look at the manufacturers reccomendations as to line class and lure weight. Do not try to throw a 1 oz. weight with a yo-yo jigging rod that was designed for 40-50 lb line and a rod that is set up for 5-8 oz. Do I hear "professional overspin"? I think the penn senators like 3/0, 4/0, and 6/0 are like the Everready battery. They just keep on going even though there are more specialized tools available. They are a little slow on retreive but trustworthy. Shimano's like the TLD, Tekota, Trinidad, and Torium are nice reels for special uses but they take a lot more maintence and care. Diawa makes some nice stuff and I really put a Saltist to the test this last winter and found that it really handles the abuse. Same thing with Tiagra and Saltiga. I have a bad taste for anything that Okuma makes and get tired of their slick advertising and have had these things break down in the middle of a nice fish, so I avoid them. This year I started using Tica reels and think that they represent one of the best buys in the market and they really held up to the torture I dish out over a 6 or 7 month period in Baja. Watch my reports on Mexfish for some more information about these reels.
Talk to everyone who will give you the story and look at what the successful fishermen use. San Marcos Mike from San Marcos Island has gone almost exclusively to Pro Gear reels (of course they support him with equipment), but if it didn't hold up he would have stopped using it a long time ago. Since he is on the water 300 or so days a year, I tend to listen to people like him.
Avet reels are coming on strong and get great reviews but I have not personally used one so cannot comment except for secondhanded.
Finally, match the gear with the fish and you will increase your enjoyment as well as the fishes.:rolleyes:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 06:02 AM

Well now that your question has finally gone full circle it might be time to at least offer some suggestions
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Last season I bought a Shimano TLD Star that was advertised to be a great casting reel for a conventiional.
When I tried, I found that it still has a drag clicker, so even though there is no level-wind gear, it still has too much inherent drag to cast anything less than a truck.
The sellers have agreed to take it back and I need a new reel to fit the bill. Something mid-priced in the 40 pound range.
There are several good mid-priced reels that cast well. The Newell 500 series comes to mind but Daiwa Sealines will do just as well.
For birthdays and Xmas my wife has slowly outfitted me with Trinidads and I am hooked so for a mid-priced reel I would have to suggest the Shimano Tourium.

I also need a larger conventional for occassional use, maybe a Senator 6.0 since I won't use it that much ?
For trolling and occassional use you can't go wrong with the 6/0. They're nearly bullet-proof and readily available. They can be improved with a Tiburon or Accurate frame and reel handle.
I don't have personal experience but I have heard some good things about Avet's in that class and with the chance to get into 2-speeds at a reasonable price I would say it is a better option.

And I need a mid-priced spinning reel, maybe 30lb to replace my old Shakespear that self destructed this winter.
Can't help here. I quit using coffee grinders years ago. To have more line capacity and better drags was enough to convince me it was better to educate my thumb.

Any suggestions from the learned would be appreciated.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 07:46 AM

I'm looking at Saltists or Sealines for 30# and 40$ set-ups.
Do you think the anti-reverse in the Saltist is worth the difference ?
They say they'll both cast as far/easy but that the Saltist will have better backlash control for the less experienced caster.
Any thoughts ?
And which Sealines do you use ? They have so many.
Any thoughts on the new Grandwave Z ??

Thanks again for all your wonderful posts, information and photos !!
Man, I wish I could join you guys for some fishing this month !
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 07:54 AM

I have a Grandwave Z. Love it, but it is not as durable, some molded plastic parts, as many described here. For casting though it cannot be beat. Drag is acceptable too. Oh, mine is the 40HW

[Edited on 18-5-2007 by Minnow]

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 08:19 AM

Maintenence...

That's an important factor in choosing a reel. Can you take your reels in to a shop once a year to have maintenence done? Or, better yet if you are in Mexico for an extended time, can you get service there, or can you service the reels yourself?

One of the advantages of the older Penns (Senators, Jigmasters, Squidders) is that they are relatively easy to service, with the possible exception of flying dog springs. Newells and older Pro Gears are nearly identical.

Some of the Diawas and Shimanos are more complex.

If you don't know about Alan Tani (username alantani) look him up on Bloodydecks, Hulltruth or Senortuna. He posts wonderful illustrated, step-by-step instructions on maintaining reels. Here's an example, on servicing a Penn Jigmaster:

http://www.senortuna.com/main/showthread.php?t=15041

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 09:50 AM

Offroad,

You cast with a levelwind ??
I have two few Penn levelwinds in the 20-25 lb range and neither casts worth a .....
Can anyone else cast these things or is it just me ??
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 10:12 AM

OK, I just got off the phone with a few factory fishing geeks and got the "skinny"

My TLD Star will be replaced with one that has a working "clicker"switch to turn off. I will spool it with 40 lb spectra and a 25 lb mono top shot.
I will buy a new Sealine to rig with 65 lb spectra and a 40 lb top shot with the ability to go heavier if needed. I found that the max drag on the TLD Star is about half of the Sealines.

The anti-reverse gearing is apparently found on most modern reels. A centrifigal brake is included with some casting reels to help stop casting backlash. Read "help stop"; not self cast. I don't thing they are worth the extra $.

I'm still working on my choice for a new spinning reel in the 20-25 lb class.
I am also unsure if I really need a bigger reel. Is it worth it to have a Penn 114/6.0or 115/9.0 in my quiver for the Pacific ?? Or maybe another Sealine rigged heavier ??

Thanks for all the input. Any final words on these two choices ?

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 12:07 PM

I forgot to mention that my quiver will also include a Penn 25 lb levelwind, Penn 15 lb levelwind, 15 and 25 lb spinning rigs. I guess I should get a 6.0 for those occasional big fish chases, for another rig to troll and to make my local fisherman friends happy that I can just haul in the fish.

Now I need to get back on the web to replenish my lure supply !!

Pompano,

Did I hear an invitation to deliver some test gear next month ?? :biggrin:

[Edited on 5-18-2007 by Diver]
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 12:33 PM

Diver, You cannot cast a level wind reel, other than puny ones. As has been mentioned, "thumbing" the reel is essential to cast any conventional reel. If you can not, or do not know how to do it, you need to practice.

No reel will do it for you.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 02:01 PM

If you can't afford all of these rod and reel combinations just get these two:

1. baitcasting or spinning reel
2. jigging rod and reel.

There's very little overlap in their usage. The first combo for all shore fishing and inshore fishing. The other for offshore and deep reef yellowtail.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 04:35 PM

Rule # 1 If you want to learn to cast the first thing you have to do is put those coffee grinders up on a wall somewhere. (Pompano may have some space left if you ask nice)

Rule # 2 Start with a 1 1/2 - 2 oz. weight on 20# test. Start with GENTLE casts. The 100 yd cast will come later. Wet your line then keep your eyes on your bait (weight). Right now don't worry about where your bait is going to land. It is more important to keep your eyes on the weight. It is hard to miss the ocean from a stationary boat. When you release your bait concentrate on lightly controlling the spool while your bait (weight) is flying through the air to ensure your spool isn't spinning faster that your weight is pulling off line. Just as your bait hits the water clamp down just enough with your thumb so stop the spool momentarily, then let your bait swim freely or your weight to drop to desired depth.

Rule #3 Do not proceed further until you have mastered Rule #1
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.