Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Fishing Primer #1--Skirt Lures
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 12:37 PM

Right on Andy. Keep up the posts. You only have 15k left to go to catch up to DK.:lol:

Seriously we need to keep this thread going. Fishermen rule!

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Right on Andy. Keep up the posts. You only have 15k left to go to catch up to DK.:lol:

You and me both, Minnow. Are you implying that I'm posting in this thread only to 'up my number of posts'? Cuz that's not what I'm doing.

I'm just stoked to be able to read up on what other people are doing out on the water. I readly admit that what I have to offer pales in comparison to the knowledge that others have here on this board. In fact, as far as fishing goes, although I've spent a lot of time on the water over the years, I only recently bought a boat of my own, so there's a whole new learning curve to work on.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the knowledge everybody.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Hi, Al G...why go out and buy anything else just because it's the new kid on the block? Most likely what you have right now will work very well indeed. Fish are not fussy and have no thoughts beyond eating something that either has a good smell or is moving.

The tackle companies love this kind of passion! But catching fish is not rocket science...it is in the presentation, luck, and whether the moon will hold water...:rolleyes:

Pompano...Thanks buddy, point well taken...but do you think if I tied a feather and hook on a JD bottle, I would catch a lot of fish:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 07:16 PM

Not at all Andy. I was just replying to you to keep the thread and the top of the posts. :lol: 14,999 to go. DK, you know I am just kidding, right?

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 08:24 PM

Colors --

As an ex-diver I have always had trouble with this. Colors disappear very quickly underwater. Trolling lures on the surface are one thing - I believe flash (visibility) is the most important aspect.

But lures that go beyond 30 feet? It's hard to believe that color makes much of a difference vis-a-vis motion and action. Especially with colors like red.

Once again, my two cents.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2007 at 09:16 PM

You're right Roberto. There's no arguing that.

Perhaps the difference guys experience with different colored lures in deep water has to do with color tones. A pink compared to a darker green. Chrome versus pink. That's what I suspect.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 06:44 AM

Pompano,

Well said! You ought to send that in to one of the fishing rags. It'd be printed for sure! You've got a great sense for explaining things exactly the way they need to be explained. Made me think of all those science and art classes... and I think I could even picture Sandy.

[Edited on 5-19-2007 by bajaandy]

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 07:58 AM

Wow, Pompano, that was quite a dissertation. I guess you WERE doing more than staring down Sandy's blouse in school! :lol::lol:

It seems you are confirming my empirical observations - below 30 feet virtually all lures lose their color - and the difference at that point between lures should pretty much boil down to flash and action.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 03:19 PM

Pompano is right but when we say a color changes at depth, that does not mean it goes invisible. These guys who are selling Cajun line claim that it disappears, when actually it just turns to black which is much more visible after a few feet. Think of it like a person who is color blind as he may not see colors but objects still have various shades of grey, white, and black that will reflect light in different ways. I struggled with this when I caught a lot of yellowtail on a red-headed white plug made by Mirrolure (111 MR) which to the fisherman in the store looks like nothing I've ever seen swimming around in the water, but I snagged one once and dove down to get it at probably 25-28 feet and for sure it looked entirely different at that depth. Sportfishing magazine October 2006, had a great article called "A Fish-eye View of Their World", that went into great depth on this issue
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 08:08 PM

Not sure about the turning black thing, but don't forget that the other thing that becomes scarce at depth is light. Black-on-black? How visible is that?

Look, the larger point here is that there are ALL kinds of theories about colors, flash, action, etc. Most are perpetuated by lure manufacturers, who have perfected the art of catching - fishermen that is.

While I have observed differences in lure productivity, and followed the rules about what lures to use on overcast vs. sunny days, I think that fishermen try to anthropomorphize and understand fish behavior. I for one, am not smart enough for that, but I do understand this: fish where the fish are, and that's what I use trolling for - locating where the fish are. Some colors may work better for that on different days, but I just run a large, varied spread and hope for the best! :o

I mean, there are folks who swear that some boats catch fish and others don't - inboards, vs outboards, diesels vs gas, low RMP vs high - and the beat goes on. I can see how a professional can make a business out of this! :lol::lol:

And, when I find them, I like to have some bait on board - I KNOW they eat that! Chunking helps too. So does throwing bait, but private boaters just can't carry enough bait to use that technique effectively.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2007 at 10:55 PM
rods and cones

I'll bet Sandy's cones made that rod rise.
idleguy

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:38 AM

And I thought this fishing stuff wasn't rocket science...

Geat post Pompano..
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2007 at 06:50 AM

Pompano,

Great post on colors !!
You DO have a way of telling a story; a wonderful way !!

And Phyl says you're just another pretty face !!!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.