BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: TJ Hijack ...details
xiv015

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 08:46 PM

Makes my story about getting pulled over on that hill by the border sound like wining the lottery. I have to agree with rts551 though, reads like fiction.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 08:49 PM

It may read like fiction to some of you, but what about all of the other accounts written in the past two or three years on this site? I, for one, am taking this very serious. No longer will I drive through TJ in the dark hours---coming or going. I don't have a lot of years left, but I want to live them to the fullest. Thank you for letting us know about this incident. Frankly, it scared the crap out of me. We also need to remember, the Mexicans aren't just real happy with our country right now. Building fences, sending illegals home without their children and shooting a few is not the best way to treat our neighbors to the south. On the other hand, we do need to keep terrorists out of our country. I am sorry for all of you that have had to go through anything like this. My heart would not have taken the stress of having a gun put to my head. Not that it would do a lot of good, but I hope that Fonatur and the government gets this as it will definately hurt turisom in Mexico. Right now Bagdad may be safer than Tijuana.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Sure hope they bought Mex insurance and cleared it through the lienholders on those loaded vehicles before leaving the USA...

Insurance wont pay anything if you don't file a report in the jurisdiction where the problem occurred.:o

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
.......Not that it would do a lot of good, but I hope that Fonatur and the government gets this as it will definately hurt turisom in Mexico........

Hit the nail on the head, Cap'n. If it affects the economy in TJ, something will be done. It's all related to $$$$$$$
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 10:40 PM

Captain Sharky has about the only sensable post on this thread. I can't believe the rest of you are brushing this off so easily. It should terrify you. And don't think it could only happen when driving at night, as half of you are trying to fool yourselves with that thought. This and all the other incidents in the last 2 years are bad, bad news and signal a change in times.

The lack of sympathy on this board for your fellow Baja travelers amazes me also.

[Edited on 9-6-2007 by JZ]
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Sure hope they bought Mex insurance and cleared it through the lienholders on those loaded vehicles before leaving the USA...

Insurance wont pay anything if you don't file a report in the jurisdiction where the problem occurred.:o

Right Bruce,
I have a feeling this writing experiment will not have a follow-up report. So, the dudes ended up on Revolucion looking for an ATM to pay for a taxi back to the border? In those 60 years of experience they didn't know the pedestrian route over the bridge? Too many other shaky details.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 08:46 AM

I absolutley believe this story,( and the others in the past) This DOES happen and people need to be aware. I drive that road 30 times a year at least and are always watchful...I have done it at night but never again.
Loving Baja does not mean ignoring the problems that come from a third world country. I think some folks do a disservice (sp?) to others by downplaying this problem. Capn Sharkey is correct ( at least for me) things are not getting better in the TJ area, police wise. Just hurry thru in daylight and try not to draw any unwanted attention.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:11 AM

I don't know.....sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between this story and a creative writing exercise by OSPREY. One of OSPREY's stories was posted on another board as a true story.

I don't know.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:24 AM

Suggestion:

Take a little longer and go through Tecate.

Go during Daylight hours:

Travel with a Dog in the Cab.

Might try the Old route through TJ where there are lots more People.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
DANO...."my personal preference not to drive anywhere south of the border on pavement is now a personal rule". Does this mean no more BAJA?

No, it means I'll make an effort to stay off of paved roads -- i.e., the highway and streets in populated areas like TJ and Rosarito (and probably even Ensenada, which I have always considered a safe place), at night. Dirt roads, where I spend most of my time anyway, are just fine. My travel to and from Baja destinations on the highway, or provisioning trips to and from paved populated areas, are mostly during daylight hours already. But I'm starting to think of it in more definite terms. Think of it like a vampire movie -- if you're out on the paved roads at night, you're risking becoming one of the undead. Or hitting a cow in a vado.

:o

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
I don't know.....sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between this story and a creative writing exercise by OSPREY. One of OSPREY's stories was posted on another board as a true story.

I don't know.

I think Osprey has been fairly careful here in pointing out the nature of his writings. Care to post a link to the other board so we can verify?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Well that leaves out anybody born and raised in Tijuana or any part of Mexico for that matter. How many Mexicans have you met that speak fine English without an accent? How many Americans have you met that speak fine Spanish without an accent for that matter?

Who are you asking? I personaly know many, many of both.

I was asking anybody reading my post. Please don't think I was being insulting. I wasn't. It's my experience, limited I suppose eventhough I live in a TJ community of well educated Mexican professionals and I'm one of the few Americans, that people speaking a second language without an accent is a rarity. And I would think that folks smart enough to do so probably don't resort to such brutal criminal activities.

But then again, maybe the bad guys were from the United States.

[Edited on 9-6-2007 by oldhippie]
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:51 AM

I didn't think you were insulting, I just thought you were generalizing and since I was reading, just thought I'd ask. Sometimes I think (I know) that the only people some visitors to Baja California or México in general meet is those that never went to school or had parents of some kind and I don't want to be insulting but we have many of those but in no way are they the majority.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 09:54 AM

Having worked for BIKE magazine in the past, which shares the same office with Surfer Magazine, I know those guys had all the latest and greatest stuff just bulging out of their brand new cars.

I try not to blame the victim; but, they might have been well off to paint a giant target on the side of their car.

I'd like to see the results of driving through Oakland, S. Chicago, Newark, St. Louis, South S.F., E. L.A., North Vegas, Kingston Jamaica, etc.. etc.. at 3 or 4am loaded to the gills with expensive toys.

The fact is, the world is a dangerous place. Here in the USA, Mexico, and elsewhere.

(Fill in the "I have traveled all over Mexico for years without any problems story here")

When I goto poor parts of Mexico. I don't wear a watch, flashy clothes, etc...Normally I travel by bus, like the locals. Call me scared or call me smart. But, I like to think a smaller and harder to see target lost in the crowd is one that is less likely to get hit.

I now drive my 2007 car around Mexicali all the time. It gets parked under a tree and stays dirty most of the time. There are so many new cars, many with California plates, here that I don't think any more about it than I would if I was in Oakland.

Just be careful and know that things can happen. The chances a pretty rare in reality.

Just a word of advice. If you goto Oakland or Mexico City. When it is dark. Stay off the streets if you know what is good for you.

Four people were shot and killed in Oakland just the other night, thats not even counting the victims of crime were not killed and did not make the paper. Should you avoid the entire state of California because of crime in a few cities? You make the call.

Is crime in TJ and elsewhere serious? Yes. Can you be a little smarter and limit your chances of being a target. Sure, just use that thing called a brain and hope for the best.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Suggestion:

Take a little longer and go through Tecate.

Go during Daylight hours:

Travel with a Dog in the Cab.

Might try the Old route through TJ where there are lots more People.

I do all these things except for #4. This incident and many others, including the police commander who was ambushed and killed a few months ago, happened on this stretch of the HWY 1, past downtown Tijuana....in broad daylight, by the way. The colonia to the left of the highway isn't a place you want to venture into. You used to have to make that dip and go down to a very confusing intersection before starting back up to the highway.

I do believe the story in this post. Even if it is a fabrication, there are plenty of incidents that have occured to warrent caution, or even avoidance.

Finally, there is some merit to Old Hippie's question: there are gang members from the U.S. who have been known to operate in this corredor. I suppose it is possible for them to buy red and blue police lights. They began operating just after Arellano Felix was arrested in San Diego. There is a drug cartel turf war going on. By the way, look out. Arellano Felix has just been convicted in Mexico and now faces extradition.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

I think Osprey has been fairly careful here in pointing out the nature of his writings.

Not always. A while back, Osprey posted what appeared to be nothing short of a confession for burning a pile of gill-nets on the beach. As well as he writes, the story was accepted by me as a true accounting of his act. I believed it to be true and who here is more cynical than me?
It was left to those here who were familiar with Osprey's craft to point out that he had spoon-fed us a fiction, a convincing one at that.
I don't recall Osprey catagorizing the story as fact or fiction even after the dust had setteled. It doesn't make him disingenuous. Or does it?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 12:02 PM

I like Tecate crossing, it is beautiful and the truckers there keep moving along. It sure makes life less stressful.

When crossing TJ, I drive to the border area in the US and rest until about 5:30am and cross then to be sure to hit TJ at sunrise when the police and the druggies are asleep or busy. Like dracula, the night loving criminals hide at sunrise.

I bring radios and share them with anyone I can meet and gather in the US they can return them later down the road.

Over the years, I stress about this TJ to Ensenada section quite a bit. I drive very slow 15 mph initially until it gets weird with someone following, then I punch it out of there in the 70-90mph. Most US cars can ditch crappy criminals cars. Lock all doors, stay alert and hopefully from the border I team up with others who look similar, gringos loaded and moving well. I smile and wave, hopefully to try to make friends with my fellow drivers and stick together-bumper to bumper with room to stop or escape. I never stop for anything or anyone even flashing lights. Most fake cops are crappy cars with crappy lights. You'll know if its a real cop=real cop car, cause most likely you saw him as you passed a stop sign. Just keep going and stay way in front of trouble makers. The robber guys always pull away and give up, probably cause they don't have gas money for a race nor do they want to go too far from their favorite crime zones or pass a toll booth.

I don't think it worth stopping for anything ever that is until you hit well south of Ensenada.
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 03:29 PM

Keep in mind that the United states is deporting more than 1000 mexicans a month back to Mexico. Man of whom were raised in the US from a very young age.

They worked jobs there and made ok money. How long of working for 15 dollars a day before they decide that there us a better way.

And I personally do not believe that story!

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 03:39 PM

Roger Hedgec-ck is currently reading the surfer hijack story on his KOGO AM 600 radio program in San Diego.

At least it's beginning to get more media attention.....

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QuePasaBaja
Keep in mind that the United states is deporting more than 1000 mexicans a month back to Mexico.not believe that

Who could forget that weenie fact? That's 33 per day. Jeezo......I'm so impressed with the billion dollar vigiliance.
How many come in per day? Do you think it may be more than 33?
Pull your head out of that warm spot in your body and do the math. How long can this go on before liberals like you see the problem?
Legal immigration is the answer. Not ignoring the illegality of the issue which immigration advocates tend to do.
Immigration is good. Breaking our laws is not good.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.