Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Scary story reports
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 11:15 AM

Holy cow----now I (even more so) appreciate why we moved from the "big city" some 40 years ago-------we don't even lock our doors when we go out for the night-----either does my son who lives in another CA small town.

We went to dinner at my Lawyer's house last night, and found that they never lock their doors at night, or when gone, either.

You guys obviously live in the wrong place if THAT much crime is happening----I am appalled!!!

I am 70-------never had ANY crime against me in the USA in my LIFE, and most of this time I have lived in CA, including 30 years in San Diego.

Everything is relative, isn't it??

Barry
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 11:15 AM

These stories have not been reported anywhere I can find other than message boards. Why not? Has anyone seen these stories anywhere except blogs?

Yesterday I telephoned the American Consulate in TJ, where I live, trying to find out what they know, and after being transferred two times, left a voice mail with my phone number. I assume the person who would know was out of the office. I have not heard back yet buy it's been less than 24 hours.

The phone number of the consulate is 664-622-7400. Use the prefix 011-52 if calling from the US.

If you think about it, it's unusal that crimes of this magnitude haven't been picked up by news organizations. It is juicy stuff. My wife is a news junkie and watches local TJ news morning and night, nothing there either.

Has anybody ever shorted stocks? It can be a mean game. Shorts will post negative mis-information on message boards attempting to drive the price down. It has worked more than a few times.

Perhaps someone is trying to drive down the price of gringo real estate in the area. I certainly wouldn't do anything like that. ;D

[Edited on 9-12-2007 by oldhippie]
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Holy cow----now I (even more so) appreciate why we moved from the "big city" some 40 years ago-------we don't even lock our doors when we go out for the night-----either does my son who lives in another CA small town.

We went to dinner at my Lawyer's house last night, and found that they never lock their doors at night, or when gone, either.

You guys obviously live in the wrong place if THAT much crime is happening----I am appalled!!!

I am 70-------never had ANY crime against me in the USA in my LIFE, and most of this time I have lived in CA, including 30 years in San Diego.

Everything is relative, isn't it??

Barry

Yeah, Richmond is a hell hole. I avoid it; but, have had to work there a few times inspecting concrete, etc.. I feel safer in a barrio outside Mexico City than I do in Richmond. If there is a place for martial law and the national guard.. I could think of no better place.

I really like far Notherthern CA. aka..Jefferson State. Shasta City, Paradise, Happy Camp, all very nice. Redding and Chico are pretty nice for bigger towns.

I was looking at concrete at 7 year old track homes in North Las Vegas last year for a construction litigation case.. we were pulling bullets out of the stucco on multiple homes just for kicks. The local school was locked down several times within a few weeks, school bus shot at, guns at school, etc.. etc.. and the neighborhood was less than 10 years old with modern homes. Insta Gettho.

"It is far eaiser to build castles, than it is make princes and princesses to go in them." - Thoreau (approximate quote.. from my memory.)

I'm not really sure what is going on with people... but I think there is just a general lack of compassion and understanding for fellow humans in todays world that has driven some over the edge. Resources are scarce and those with power often have those without power pinned under their thumbs. Many people simply feel pinned down and helpless to better themselves.

As I have told my friends.. the Mayan calender ends on Dec. 21, 2112. Many new age type fruit loops believe it is the end of the world, time, etc..

I just plan on having a huge party on the night of the 20th... and when I wake up on the 21st... I will have such a huge hangover I will have wished the world would have ended. LOL

Love and hope.. is our best solution if we intend to avoid killing ourselves off.
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2007 at 07:53 PM

After reading all of the above, I guess I am very lucky, as well as a few others, to live in this little village. We suffer no violent crime, no domestic
violence, no sirens, no gunshots at night or for that matter during the day.
Shure, we have an annual or two snatch and grab radio burgalry, but this
makes major news by word of mouth in this little burg. And usually the
local cops kechum before the townsfolk do. And no, I don't get lax on
protecting my family or our stuff. I have a roll gate in front of my home,
not very high, and a Rottie on guard at night , and I am a light sleeper
with a 357 pillow! So far and I think in the near future nothing more is
going to be needed. I sure hope that I am right, so far in 16 years I have been.
Keep safe all of you in more dangerous locals
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 04:17 PM

The thing I find interesting if these stories are true is all the banter about not going south, caution, changes in travel habits which are all good if YOU think it's something you need to do.
There has been almost no discussion on just traveling a different route.
You can still cross at TJ, travel down El Rio and go up through town on the free road which joins with the toll road just north of Rosarito. It saves a toll and it's a nice double lane road.
Cross at Otay and drive the new hiway to join the free road just north of Calafia. Saves 2 tolls.
Cross at Tecate and drive the new road as above.
The border fence road is so easily avoided, whats the big deal.
Heck, still use it, roll along untill you see a nice slow mover truck or something and pull in front of it and just track along with it so it's harder for someone to get behind you. That's what we used to do when we were young bone heads and were either loaded or drunk to shield us from the errant cop.
So many solutions, so little worries.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 07:17 PM

We plan to spend 2-plus weeks in Baja starting October 1st. I will not exceed the speed limit, I will come to complete stops at all the Alto signs, and use my blinker when making turns, 100 percent of the time. Let's see if I still end up getting pulled over!.... ugh.
Bob H ;D
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
We plan to spend 2-plus weeks in Baja starting October 1st. I will not exceed the speed limit, I will come to complete stops at all the Alto signs, and use my blinker when making turns, 100 percent of the time. Let's see if I still end up getting pulled over!.... ugh.
Bob H ;D

Where ya headed Bob? We will be leaving in a week or so for until we want to come home or the end of Oct.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 11:13 AM

Do you guys want to make a carravan ?

I was planning on leaving from San Diego on the 2nd of Oct. Have reservations at Antonio's Baja Cactus that night... and hope to do a very leiserly drive to La Paz with frequent stops after Baja Norte.....

That is if you wouldn't be embarresed by my rig....

Not top of the line....just Baja

-CaboRon

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bob H ;D

So you think they are REAL cops and if you don't speed they won't get you :?: I get it, only lawbreakers get pistol-whipped. C'mon Bob regadless if they are bonafide cops or not they profile their targets. It's a tough scary call no matter WHO they are. I hope all these incidents get some frickin' attention.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 05:44 AM

the question is....

why haven't the "real" news organizations picked up these stories???

does bloodydecks.com have "the exCLUEsive"???:yes:

i've driven these roads many times at night and the traffic is increasing every trip...makes you think...be careful anyway

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
These stories have not been reported anywhere I can find other than message boards. Why not? Has anyone seen these stories anywhere except blogs?

Yesterday I telephoned the American Consulate in TJ, where I live, trying to find out what they know, and after being transferred two times, left a voice mail with my phone number. I assume the person who would know was out of the office. I have not heard back yet buy it's been less than 24 hours.

The phone number of the consulate is 664-622-7400. Use the prefix 011-52 if calling from the US.

If you think about it, it's unusal that crimes of this magnitude haven't been picked up by news organizations. It is juicy stuff. My wife is a news junkie and watches local TJ news morning and night, nothing there either.

Has anybody ever shorted stocks? It can be a mean game. Shorts will post negative mis-information on message boards attempting to drive the price down. It has worked more than a few times.

Perhaps someone is trying to drive down the price of gringo real estate in the area. I certainly wouldn't do anything like that. ;D

[Edited on 9-12-2007 by oldhippie]

I coouldn't agree more.... All of these stories are heresay...
I have thought for some time that we are being spammed with bogus stories.... and many with multiple listings about the same story with small details changed.... BajaNomads are being jacked up.

I live in Anaheim CA and will not take a walk in my neighborhood after dark ..... last week the newspaper boy was robbed at gunpoint right in front of our apt bldg. We think by the smack dealers who have taken over the apt bldg across the street. Anaheim PD doesn't do sh**. Three weeks ago a man was gunned to death 50 ft from my bedroom window. We live in a violent world... Oh, and I live less than two miles from the happiest place on earth.

This is our world.

- CaboRon

If you live in fear, you are vulenerable to those who can sense your fear. And you become a target.... think of this world as a jungle and you are the prey.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:27 AM

my neighbor across the alley caught a tweeker coming thru his window at 11.30pm a week ago. beat him really good until the cops showed up and took the piece of crap to jail....i hope he gets the word out to his tweeker friends....daddy sleeps with a machete and can't wait to wield it!!!!!!:yes:

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
my neighbor across the alley caught a tweeker coming thru his window at 11.30pm a week ago. beat him really good until the cops showed up and took the piece of crap to jail....i hope he gets the word out to his tweeker friends....daddy sleeps with a machete and can't wait to wield it!!!!!!:yes:

Go Woody !!!!!!!!!!!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.