Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Please, give me the Spanish menu
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 12:30 PM

The menu in English we were once handed by the hostess at an Ensenada restaurant--who stereotyped us as illiterates in Spanish--said "Stoff Peeper." I assumed this meant Chiles Rellenos.

What it turned out to be instead was a bell peeper stoffed with macaroni and cheese right out of a Kraft box.

That was the last time I ever accepted a menu in English.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 12:48 PM
"Rural with plot" style eggs

I assume they mean they are the the same as "Huevos de cementerio rural"

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 01:00 PM

Reminds me of when my friend asked our very shapely waitress for a
"Cola Grande" Now thats a large coke in any language!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
I'm so easy....... "a la plancha" or "ala plancha" if you want the exact translation. Now I hope Diane doesn't get mad at me for giving it up.

Boy, you are easy---one request from Nena and you gave it up.
:lol::lol::lol:

Came back to the Internet Cafe today, and we have really enjoyed all the replies----can't name a favorite, but Ken's "Doggie Bag" is high on the list.
:yes::yes:

More???

John and Diane

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:42 PM

I'm intrigued by the eggs with "kind of pork sausage". Hmmm. Kind of pork or kind of sausage? I'm trying to think of an animal that's kinda pork but kinda not.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
I'm intrigued by the eggs with "kind of pork sausage". Hmmm. Kind of pork or kind of sausage? I'm trying to think of an animal that's kinda pork but kinda not.

Several years ago I was shopping in a canned foods outlet store with my wife. I picked up a small tin of "Potted Meat Food Product". Curious, I looked at the label to see what was in a "food product". The main ingredient was "defatted fatty pork tissue". MMMMM, yummy. I bought it as a joke and gave it to a friend who still has it. I keep saying we should open it up to see what's inside. My mistake was only buying 1, but 29 cents is 29 cents you know!

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by BMG]

I think the world is run by C- students.
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 03:27 PM
3 more examples

srhimps coctail (corralito on calle primera)

frechs shrimp (on van selling…what else?)

i admire how they try to get those multiple-consonant words right, but it really is difficult getting the darned consonants in the right order.

at gigante on transpeninsular, there is a stand selling "nieves twits" can't help smiling with that one:D

lili
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 06:46 PM

Many years ago our favorite dinner restarurant in Cabo put out a sandwich board in the morning announcing "Tonights Special" "Free Sucks".
We speculated and grinned about it all day and of course went back for dinner wondering what the heck they were trying to say! Turned out to be popcorn! Free Snacks!
The stale popcorn, could barely be given away free. The memory, priceless!
:)
craiggers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 01:44 AM

"kind of pork sausage" sounds an awful lot like chorizo (or is it choriso) to me.

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by craiggers]
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 10:25 AM

bajaeng,
Are you kidding or just nuts? There's nothing in this thread to take offense at. This is possibly the most joyous thread I've read in days. It's a celebration of one of the things we (or at least I) find the most charming about Mexico and the Mexican people, their fearless attitude!
They move forward. They take action. And they prosper because of it.
Please re-read the posts here and share the humor!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbdown.gif posted on 9-15-2007 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
Why don't you all learn the language instead of being a typical gringo?

1. Gringos learning Spanish has nothing to do with this string.

2. If you want to be critical, you could fault Mexicans learning English which would be unfair, without a sense of humor. What you are doing is faulting gringos for not speaking Spanish, which could be another topic but not relevant here. You are saying the opposite, which does not make sense.

3. You are totally missing the point.

4. When a poster starts a sentence with, "Why don't you all...." it is is a hostile entrance. Why would you do that?

5. This is a delightful and humorous topic and way far from being politically incorrect. Thank you Trotters!

:!:

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
bajaeng,
Are you kidding or just nuts? There's nothing in this thread to take offense at. This is possibly the most joyous thread I've read in days. It's a celebration of one of the things we (or at least I) find the most charming about Mexico and the Mexican people, their fearless attitude!
They move forward. They take action. And they prosper because of it.
Please re-read the posts here and share the humor!

I'd agree. This thread is mostly about Mexican people's attempt to learn or use English; but, also our attempts to learn Spanish. (Both good things)

I also agree, that people should try to learn Spanish when traveling in Mexico. But, that is exactly what the title of this thread promotes, "Please, give me the Spanish menu" "Not, please give me the English menu"

Try reading the thread from the beginning. babjaeng, I think you may be confused. I, as many others, prefer to order food, etc in Spanish when in Mexico; but, we are often handed a "English menu, without asking for it, that can be quite funny."

Now back to the humor and (mis)understanding of other cultures...
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 11:06 AM

During my first trip to Mexico I traversed the entire country by bus alone for a little over a month. At first my Spanish was pretty basic, and often incorrect; but, it improved rapidly as I realized I had no other choice but to try my best and just "go for it".

After my first two trips, I had learned a good number of common slang words and phrases often used in Mexico. I tried to practice with Spanish speakers at home as often as I could to get ready for my next trip.

On my third trip I felt that I had a pretty good command of the language. I seemed to do pretty good with my Spanish as first; but, every time I asked someone "What?" or to repeat what they just said.. they always got this really confused look on their face and stopped talking..or said something totally bizzare and off the wall in response.

This went on for about 2 weeks. I became annoyed, confused, and befuddled. Why did people get so confused and act so weird when I simply asked, "What?"

Then one day it hit me. I was reading the newspaper in the park and saw something about, "World News"

"World" translates to "Mundo" in Spanish.. and that in itself would not be so funny except for the fact that I had been using "Mundo?" instead of "Mande?" to ask "What?" for over two weeks. Suddenly the reason all the confused looks became obvious.

I think I laughed at myself every time I saw the word Mundo or asked Mande? the rest of the trip.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 11:12 AM

Bajaeng, I hear they do inexpensive humor implants in Tijuana, you may want to check into it.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 11:27 AM
bajaeng

Quote:
Why don't you all learn the language instead of being a typical gringo?

We knew it was only a matter of time---surprised it took this long for the baseless attack----you don't know us, you don't know what we are or are not learning, and you certainly don't know what "type" of gringo we are.

Your attempt at explanation was well, we won't say.

It didn't seem to need any explanation for most, but for you I guess it does. --while learning a language, Spanish, or English, one will make mistakes, often embarassing and or funny, and often direct translation just does not work.

Now, we need to find our old Mexican Map that is in English so we can find our "Points of Destiny"

John and Diane

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 11:38 AM

This is one of my favorite stories:

After I returned from 3 weeks of Spanish school in Se Habla, La Paz, we were out to dinner with some friends. They all thought it was hilarious when they insisted that I get the Spanish menu. I had no problem with that as I have always asked for one as a study aid. We all gave our orders. When the first course arrived my friend sitting next to me looked at her plate and said, "I ordered soup!" I grinned and said. "No, my dear, you ordered sopes and that is what you got"

I wish I could remember some of the funnies I have seen on menus but fish ball soup has always made me giggle.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 11:59 AM

Bajaeng, there are a lot of Americans and Canadians who don't travel until they are well into middle age. Learning a language at that point just doesn't come as easily as it does when you're younger. And some people just don't have an aptitude for a second languge. Your Spanish must be good, but be more tolerant of others, and as Diane says, don't make assumptions.

And if you are in Loreto be sure to try the superdanky at Superburro-- it's delicious.

Oh, and by the way, my Spanish is pretty good too:dudette:

docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 12:17 PM

bajaeng,
Glad to have you back to this fun thread!
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 12:40 PM

bajaeng,

Oops! I didn't see your post above before I wrote mine. Didn't mean to preach...

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
I went back and re-read from beginning and I'm humble enough to admit I jumped the gun on this. My apologies please ... sorry, I'm not a morning person and I read the the paper backwards

I'm impressed! Thank you, Bajaeng. It takes a lot of courage to admit a mistake. Now we are on the same page.

However, I would like to know how to "read the paper backwards." I'm really feeling inadequate here. Now we have to learn Chinese as well as Spanish? Come on....break out the Chinese menu.

Oops...my Ontoolong.:yes:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.