Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Question for Trailer/towing pros
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 10:16 PM

Roberto why dont you go try to convence all the semi operators with doubles and triples trailers that they should be using bias tires you will get laughed out of town radials are load carring and the sidewall flex so they dont heat up and blow out
i have all so driven semi for a number of years and i was so glad when radial replaced them old rag tires
on this little boat trailer it wont make much difference but a heaver tire might survive the curbs and edges along the hiway better

jerry and judi
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 10:22 PM

Santiago,

Answer to original question:

Buy two new trailer rated tires for your trailer and carry two spares.

Have a good trip.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 08:29 AM

Thanks for input and suggestions. I'm inclined to do nothing as my tow weight is light and I do carry 2 spares and I mostly go to BOLA. What really got my attention is on my last trip I passed a fully loaded car carrier twice - those suckers a way wide. My outside tire was over the white line and my passenger was screaming. If I ever see one again I'm stopping to go look at the backside of some cacti.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Ok hear me out on this:
Boat + motor + gear about 1850 pounds.
Single axle EZloader with P185X13 tires.

After many miles of watching my outside tire on or even outside of the white line and knowing the likely result of dropping the outside tire off the pavement I have come up with the following:

Weld a spindle to the inside of the frame, just behind the axle and mount a tire that would free wheel but act as a saftey wheel incase the outside tire does go off. The whole point would be to let this tire keep the trailer 'on the road' and allow me to slow down until I could get the outside tire back on the pavement. I got up enough courage to take this idea to my local trailer shop and they didn't throw me out - in fact we ended up with all the employees gathered round with everybody talking, drawing and arguing until we finally solved everyone's objections. Cost about $500.

Is this doable or do I need to find another trailer shop?

For what its worth, and I have done alot of suspension fabricating, I think it's a great idea as long as the fabrication is well thought out and done soundly. You sure wouldn't want that wheel assembly to break loose under there. It could take the whole axel out as it left the trailer.
Hey, why not just shorten the axel on that side and make it a dually. Could track kinda funny but it's just metal and welding, sounds fun to give it a try :P

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 04:56 PM

My 2 cents worth-----

My Whaler weighs about the same as your boat------I changed the 13 inch rims to 15 inch rims that were 7 inches wide with a "spider" offset to the outside, and put some good fat off road rated radials on---------with the off-set, the wide tires barely miss the springs/frame but at least they don't stick out on either side of the trailer much. I carry lower pressure in the tires (about 26 lbs in mine) so they absorb pot holes and rocks-----I have no sway problems, and have a tongue weight of about 100 lbs.. I have installed shocks on my boat trailer axle (had to have the mounts fabricated), which helps in preserving the springs (always your weakest point on a trailer), and keeps it from bottoming out on dirt roads.

It works good for me------and I have dropped the trailer off the road several times with no real problems other than a lot of dust and scaring the H--- out of me. :lol:

I am willing to put up with the increased difficulty in launching since the boat is higher off the ground. If it is a really shallow launch site, (only happend twice) I just unhook the trailer and push it out deeper into the water, retrieving it with my winch, or a chain-----everything is a tradeoff. You can get a LOADED trailer out of the shallow water the same way (at the end of a chain), tho it is awkward. Do NOT have your tongue wheel down if you unhook the trailer for launch, or retrieve------it will get torn off if you do, most likely---it was NOT designed to roll over rocks, or deal with huge cracks in the Baja "ramps". :lol:
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 06:55 PM

For the record, my vote is with Toneart and Gadget. I think it's a great idea. I've towed up and down the penninsula, and as my little mind is prone to wander now and again, it scares the wits out of me when I look back and half the right tread is hanging over an 18" drop. I'd spend the $500 on a well engineered solution.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 11:38 PM

if you need the precausion go to a spring installer and have them make a oval spring to mount on your axel to clear the pavment by 2 inchs or so it will make a lot of sparks but will keep it up till you get back on the road unless your planning on not staying on the road??:biggrin::biggrin:

jerry and judi
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 07:35 AM

wow IMHO...

by puttin two wheels on one side would unbalance the trailer and it could flip at high speed
especially becaure the whole load is ONLY 1850 pounds

one side would be considerably lighter and the whole thing would be unbalanced

a "whosh" of air from BIG semi could flip the thing...maybe

building a trailer takes engineering skills NOT a garage welder:light:
but... i'm NOT an engineer

that's just my take;)
i wouldn't do it

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 01:21 PM

B & S,
how would it be any different (heavier) than mounting a spare tire/wheel/hub on that side? Everyone does that with no ill effects. or having 100# of gear on one side of the boat?

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 02:56 PM

i think since the trailer is being pulled from the center of the truck...
at the toung

it would create more drag on that side...
thus pulling weird

in fact i see it swaying back and forth at higher speed

it's different from weight inside a "balanced" trailer

remember i'm NOT an engineer:no:

but...i have NEVER seen ANY truck or car built with two wheels on one side and one on the other EVER:no:

there MUST be a reason:smug:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

BS. My trailer + boat weigh close to 13,000 lbs. Triple axle. I run trailer (ST-bias ply) tires. I've towed up and down the peninsula, and on the mainland for thousands of miles.

What boat is that? That's a load for Baja.

Ken
edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

...i have NEVER seen ANY truck or car built with two wheels on one side and one on the other EVER:no:

Maybe he's talking about an extra wheel on both sides. Don't forget that when you pass , your left wheel is the one threatening to go off the pavement. So, maybe makes lots of sense after all.:P:P:biggrin:
bearbait1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 10:42 PM

Well, I've driven the road a few times so I know your concern. Whether your solution is worth the trouble or not, you are to be commended for the idea. Thanks for sharing it.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 05:54 AM

jim, check your U2U.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.