BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: You knew I had to bring it up............
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
Isn't it amazing that American companies still don't make the grade?

For you maybe !!!
But are you not, way under 6' tall ?? :biggrin:
I love my Fords - all 3 of them.
They make the grade for me just fine.
Toyotas still feel like little tin boxes to me.
So there !! :P

I am not 'way under' at 5'9"...:lol:

I didn't just test drive a Tacoma for no reason... countless Baja Amigos spoke highly about their Toyota Tacomas to me and others, including Neal Johns, 4baja, bajaboy, jeans, Alejandra, Baja Taco, ... etc, etc, etc BEFORE. I also went to a Ford dealer to drive a Ranger before going to a Toyota dealer.

I don't think you have sat in a '05 + (larger size) Tacoma or you wouldn't say it is a tin can... Heck, my '01 was really nice with plenty of head and leg room... the '05 is way bigger, yet can navigate to Mision Santa Maria without a problem!

Although I will admit that Tacomas have a pretty good rep in Baja and many seem to like them, I won't convert unless you can confirm that there is enough room to make whoopie in the Tacoma's front seat without hospitalization. :lol:lol:lol:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 04:53 PM

So, that's why they call you Diver. :biggrin:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 04:55 PM

I have four Fords... Love them all!
1969 Mustang fastback - Red (72,000 original miles)
2001 F250 Superduty
2002 Ranger
2005 Mustang GT 5-speed - Red

Ford trucks continue to be the number one selling truck for over 20 years in a row! And, they just get better and better.
Bob H
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 04:55 PM

And I doubt my wife could fit all the Baja stuff we must carry, 2 kids, 2 dogs, tow our 24' camper and haul the boat on the roof of a Tacoma.
Different strokes !!

And David, there are times when I wish my kids were older like yours so we could do the trip, just us 2, again like old times ...... lucky dog !!

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
I understand Al... it's almost borderline politics when we start talking cars/ trucks here... Hook is to blame, right?

My new Jeep was a 1975.5 Cherokee Chief (really a '76 model, but sold too early in 1975 to legally call it a '76) with a 401 V-8, automatic (a GM unit), Quadra Trac full time 4WD with low range, Levi interior, nice, nice, nice...

Here's a photo of it on the road between Diablo Dry Lake and San Felipe in Nov. '75 (watching the first SCORE Baja 1000)...

Could be wrong...401 motors in that years were not GM...I think they were AMC...I know that Cherokee and it did well in back country, but as I remember the engine was weak and trublesome...the starter was Dodge??? and cost as much as "Made in Japan"....which why I dumped my "made in Japan"...they almost broke me in the cost of parts...one new Datsun I paided $2999.00 for and they wanted $245.00 for a starter....:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
So, that's why they call you Diver. :biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:05 PM

Yes, Diver... the right vehicle for the right price and need... etc.

Since the Tacoma is a MID size (not full size) truck, it isn't made to carry everything you own... Comparable to the Ranger...

In fact, with the four door that I have (seats 5 adults easily... but front seats are bucket, so sorry Diver)... it really is an SUV with a 5 ft. bed for gear...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
I understand Al... it's almost borderline politics when we start talking cars/ trucks here... Hook is to blame, right?

My new Jeep was a 1975.5 Cherokee Chief (really a '76 model, but sold too early in 1975 to legally call it a '76) with a 401 V-8, automatic (a GM unit), Quadra Trac full time 4WD with low range, Levi interior, nice, nice, nice...

Here's a photo of it on the road between Diablo Dry Lake and San Felipe in Nov. '75 (watching the first SCORE Baja 1000)...

Could be wrong...401 motors in that years were not GM...I think they were AMC...I know that Cherokee and it did well in back country, but as I remember the engine was weak and trublesome...the starter was Dodge??? and cost as much as "Made in Japan"....which why I dumped my "made in Japan"...they almost broke me in the cost of parts...one new Datsun I paided $2999.00 for and they wanted $245.00 for a starter....:lol::lol::lol:

Al, I said the tranny was a GM (Turbo 400), not the motor which was indeed an AMC small block (yes a 401 small block).

The tranny was the first thing to fail when it went out of warantee (12,000 miles)! Then the water pump, door handle, rear window motor, low range lever... 10 mpg wasn't fun either when gas went above 50 cents a gallon!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:16 PM

Sorry DK...my eyes skipped the word automatic...:lol:

Albert G

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:28 PM
Ahem

simply put:

DODGE RULES!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:28 PM

Well I have never owned a Made in Asia Truck but have owned a few of their cars. No comparison in my opinion. The Asian stuff is way better.
I do have an 06 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel and it has the second worst seats I have ever owned. Dodge Durango had the worst by far. I should have bought the Ford Diesel. I have always liked the Ford seats. But it was the loudest Diesel by a long shot in 06.
I don't think it would be fair to compare a 3/4 ton American truck to a 1/2 ton Asian as far as towing capacity. Just is not going to stack up.
But it is fun to see the debate anyway :biggrin:

BajaBuzz
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:31 PM

Next time Buzz put out a bit more and get the heated leather/fabric seats with a millon positions.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the feeling!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Next time Buzz put out a bit more and get the heated leather/fabric seats with a millon positions.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the feeling!

Sorry, Sharks but this indicates that you are a Baja wussy. :lol:

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbuzzetti
Well I have never owned a Made in Asia Truck but have owned a few of their cars. No comparison in my opinion. The Asian stuff is way better.
I do have an 06 Chevy Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel and it has the second worst seats I have ever owned. Dodge Durango had the worst by far. I should have bought the Ford Diesel. I have always liked the Ford seats. But it was the loudest Diesel by a long shot in 06.
I don't think it would be fair to compare a 3/4 ton American truck to a 1/2 ton Asian as far as towing capacity. Just is not going to stack up.
But it is fun to see the debate anyway :biggrin:

Where does a 2000 lb payload fit in the whole 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton category? I honestly dont know, but that's what the 08 Tundra with the big V-8 is rated at.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 05:52 PM

maybe people are starting to have more problems with toyotas because they are starting to think of them as real trucks, and hauling real loads with them now, not just pup tents and surfboards.:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-17-2007 at 06:44 PM
THAT HURTS my ego butt not my butt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

Sorry, Sharks but this indicates that you are a Baja wussy. :lol:

I guess I am then. Gawd I have 700,000 miles on that damn hard bench seat in my ol PW. My butt says "gracias". Me too!
:lol:

Hey they don't call em "buckboards" fer nuttin'! I see all kinds of old trucks hauling cords of wood stacked a mile high around here. All US trucks btw.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 06:51 PM

Don't get your hopes up too much. The tundra is a new truck designed new from the ground up and all new designs have their problems. Yes even the older Camrys had more problems with each new design. The U.S. companies should be making better vehicles because if they don't the Japanese will put them out of business. Some of you brag you have a truck go 300,000 miles, big deal. I know a friend who drove her Olds 350,000 and traded for a GMC truck and drove it 300,000 miles, both with little maintenance. I also have a friend who drove his Toyota pickup 450,000 miles. Personally I think a Dodge is the biggest piece of crap I ever owned or drove. Anyway your missing the point however in that Consumer Reports has shown Toyota until now has been the most reliable.

As far as the full size trucks go, your just now seeing the 1/2 ton Japan trucks. In 5 or10 years they'll build 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if the market is there. Then you better start taking your pills.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Where does a 2000 lb payload fit in the whole 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton category? I honestly dont know, but that's what the 08 Tundra with the big V-8 is rated at.

The Tundra is the equivalent of a 1/2 ton truck. It is fullsize, just like an F150 is. It's towing capacity, however, is quite a bit better than other 1/2 ton trucks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 07:59 PM

TW...You are missing the point.
Anyway your missing the point however in that Consumer Reports has shown Toyota until now has been the most reliable
Consumer Report in this category is what, that is not reliable...they have never put an emphasis on owner responsibility of maintenance in the long term reliability of Toyota, Ford etc. The fact is most people think all there is to maintain a car is when it knocks....put a quart of oil in:light: people who switched to Made in Japan...put up big bucks and pay more attention to their hefty investment...if it broke they would have to put really big bucks for parts to fix it. Made in Japan has always been a bad investment in overall cost...that will never change.

Albert G

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 08:09 PM

81,000 mi. and my '03 Rubicon drives great. No complaints. I had 1 leaking gas cap, but replaced that at AutoZone, and no problems since....

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.