Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: simple advice for surf-campers
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 04:22 PM

So the GN checkpoint stops people who are up to no good? Yeah, right. Just like the one at Maneaadero did on the old bad road. There are side roads that bypass the GN check.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 08:14 PM
vivaloha

What are you talking about?!:no:

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
vivaloha
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 08:53 PM

Anyways, thanks Barry for understanding the dif between "limiting the negative variables" and paranoia...Just trying to offer some opinions on safety...If these things don't apply to certain travellers or if they are nonsense, that's their reality and that's fine too...I'm just mentioning what seems to be true in my experiences...In Dennis's example of going to Watt's for Soul Food and coming back to your car to a mosh pit of baddies, i understand that BUT the point of my advice is to NOT put yourself there to begin with...Why WATTS for soul food when there are so many other yummy restaurants to eat from... Why Cuatros Casas when there are so many other fun waves to surf-camp without a reputation for nastiness and robbery?

Baja California can be a heaven or hell experience - often the determining factor is your AWARENESS in the moment.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 11:06 PM

Right on VIVALOHA......

Everyplace has it's bad areas where one should be carefull.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 03:29 AM

I certainly do not want to encounter any sketchers, hackers or baddies, or for that matter anyone squidding out. I shall therefore feel the vibe before deciding to set up camp in any particular spot north of the state line.

[Edited on 11-16-2007 by BajaDave]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 08:24 AM

BajaDave is a very wise hombre. :yes:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 02:49 PM

They have more veggies and fruit in the south?

Damn, my WTflockometer just went off the scale. While I go get it recalibrated, can somebody tell those slacker farmers in the San Quintin Valley to get their act together and start growing more stuff? That should reduce our surplus of hackers, sketchers, squids and banditos up here in El Norte, who as we all know avoid veggies and fruit like a turd in a swimming pool. I mean, c'mon, just show a bandito a tomato and he'll run screaming off into the desert, trying gouge his eyes out as smoke pours out of his ears and his head expands and then explodes, showering globs of brain everywhere like in that movie Scanners. Maybe we should all start keeping zucchinis under the driver's seats in our trucks instead of knives or baseball bats (or in my case, a Cleveland sand wedge). No, wait, I saw a truck once with two coconuts hanging from the trailer hitch -- I wasn't sure what that was all about but now I realize it was fruit meant to keep the banditos away, kinda like hanging garlic on your door to ward off vampires. Next time I'm in Ensenada, I'm going to the store for coconuts (big hairy ones), if I can find any in that pathetic 1500 square foot postage stamp of a veggie and fruit section at Commercial Mexicana. Anyone know the best way to hang coconuts from your trailer hitch? Bungee cord maybe, so they bounce?

:bounce:

[Edited on 11-16-2007 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 03:30 PM
Great

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DanO,
Creatively solving complex social problems. So easy !!!!

gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 03:45 PM
question

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
They have more veggies and fruit in the south?

Damn, my WTflockometer ..................

[Edited on 11-16-2007 by DanO]

that's cool and amusing but it doesn't address the question as to why BCN is such a cesspool vs BCS ??
hmmmmmm
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 03:47 PM

I've got it! Everybody get a potato cannon (potatoes are veggies, right?), and hang it in a gun rack in your truck's back window. Check out these bad boys below. The mere threat of a half pound spud screaming at them at the speed of sound will scare the pee out the toughest sketcher, hacker or bandito (not sure about squids, as the spud would travel much more slowly under water).

http://www.americanaircannons.com/catalog/john_bazooka.jpg

http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/WindowsLiveWriter/Tim...

spud_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg - 37kB

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 03:48 PM

Another one. Fire in the hole!

images.jpg - 2kB

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 04:05 PM

Here are some handy instructions for building your own spudzooka. Note: This does not constute an endorsement of the use of potato guns, which are dangerous explosive devices that can cause disfigurement, death, or a nasty bruise that lasts for a week. Or the shrapnel from exploding PVC could put your eye out. My helpful additional comments are noted in brackets

A potato gun sometimes called a spudzooka or spud gun is weapon that can launch spuds at over 200 ft/s. It is a propellant based gun that uses any propane based aerosol as a propellant (most experiments [see, it's scientific!] use hair spray, for it is inexpensive and easy to use). The way it works is propellant is injected into the combustion chamber and ignited with a BBQ sparker, as the gas expands it pushes the potato up the barrel and out of the gun.

Building a potato gun is fairly simple provided some basic tools are available. The most basic potato gun consists of three main components: a combustion chamber, a barrel, and an ignitor. The combustion chamber and the barrel are usually constructed out of pressure rated PVC or ABS piping and the ignitor can be any type of sparker, but most potato gun experimenter's prefer to use BBQ ignitors, for they provide a large and effective spark.

Parts
2 feet of 2 inch dia. PVC or ABS pressure rated pipe
1 foot of 3 inch dia. PVc or ABS pressure rated pipe
screw off end cap for 3 inch pipe (note: clean out plug may be used)
slip to threaded 3 inch fitting
3 to 2 in reducer
PVC or ABS cement (note: do NOT mix PVC pipes with ABS pipes or fitting, only use PVC cement on PVC and ABS on ABS)
BBQ ignitor
2 drywall screws
hair spray
plenty of spuds

Assembly Instructions
1. Cut pipes to correct length's with a hacksaw
2. Glue the barrel and the chamber to the reducer as shown in the diagram. (if PVC is used don't forget to apply primer first.

3. Close off the end of the chamber with the fitting and screw-on end cap or the drain plug cap.

4. Screw the drywall screws through the sides the combustion chamber so there is about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap

5. Connect the sparker to the drywall screw and make sure it fires properly, if no spark fires move screws closer and re-test.

6. Bevel the end of the barrel so that the potato will be cut to size when it is loaded. Beveling can be done with a Dremel or if one is not available a file can be used.

7. Let cement dry for about an hour (this time can be used to go buy some spuds!!)

[You are now ready to LOCK AND LOAD!]

Firing Tips
Caution: Only fire in open spaces far away from human life [Sissy! If you do that, no one will ever see how cool it is!]
1. Load the gun by cutting a large enough potato in half and then cutting it to the right size by pushing it into the barrel of the gun and letting the gun cut the potato's shape. If the potato is too small the potato will not go very far, for most of the gas will escape. Providing a good seal is the key to distance spud launching [distance is ok, but it's better when inanimate objects "accidentally" get in the flight path].

2. Get a stick that can be used to muzzle load the potato. Measure out how far on the stick the potato has to be pushed down to be right before the combustion chamber and push it down to that level [have a few beers first, so you'll be sure to do this accurately].

3. Unscrew the back and fill with propellant. I like using pure propane from a blowtorch, but if one isn't available then hair spray can be used. This is the trickiest part of all. The correct mixture of gas to air has to be present for the gun to fire. Experimenting is the best way [yeah, just wild ass guess it -- that'll be safe]. One thing that is important to remember is that the gas needs oxygen to combustion therefore after each time it is fired air must be allowed into the chamber.

4. Good Luck [and God bless].

potato.jpg - 16kB

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 05:15 PM

Man! If the target were running away, that spud bazooka would certainly plant a potato permanently where the sun don't shine.:wow:

salvavida
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 06:06 PM

The most threatening place to display your lethal spuds and zuchinni is in the crotch of your jeans. The sketchers will know you mean business right away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 06:11 PM

I'm sure it might be a triple felony to have a spud gun in Mexico. Can you imagine AMLO with his legions of followers attacking the National Palace with weapons such as this? In the 1800s the repercutions would have been called a "French Fry."
We're all up on our history, arn't we?
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 06:43 PM

Dan-o has brought clarity to this insane thread. Next time I camp at Gonzaga I'll be ready for anything.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-16-2007 at 08:19 PM

Some of the folks poo-pooing Vivaloha's suggestions and advice are, I suspect, the same ones that whine, and are surprised, when something bad happens to them on the road in Baja (etc.)----------why am I surprised!! :lol: :lol: :P

Especially when I, who think it is good advice and practice same, have NEVER had any problems in Baja (other than what I invited by my stupidity) in some 55 years of travel there. :yes:

[Edited on 11-17-2007 by Barry A.]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 11-17-2007 at 11:27 AM

Vivaloha speaks wise advice. Some may not understand the lingo that well, but ALL remote surf/beach campers will do well to take it to heart.

Quatros Casa area should be avoided! IMHO, anywhere N. of El Rosario should be avoided, and from what I've heard ER is changing as well.

TT

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 09:39 AM

Vivaloha altho care should be taken in baja and a little common sense used no more so than any where in the states .' hell we wern't that paranoid in viet nam
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 10:51 AM

There's one rule that seems to work well, bring nothing and you will loose nothing.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.