Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: common sense for driving down baja
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

How about we organize a real protest and blockade the US side of the San Ysidro border crossing and shut down sotuhbound traffic into Mexico for a few hours! Let FOX news and others when it will happen, why it will happen and how frustrated we Americans are that our safety and security concerns are being ignored.

Probably because we would be incarcerated and the real issue would be lost because we're just a bunch of social terrorists who disobey the law. It feels good to think about that scenario though, that many Americans would be willing to stand up for each other without being drafted to do it.
There are so many things that could be done. We just have to agree on what and FOLLOW THROUGH.
Also, people on the north side of the border have more latitude for civil disobedience than we below the border have.
My thoughts toward effective reasoning are to deal a blow to the collective wallet. I hope somewhere here, the back-room wheels of the imagination are turning to come up with a viable suggestion.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 02:36 PM
Keep moving

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
On the toll road people drive fast, it works because the bad guys can't move quick enough to catch you. And the real police are ordered to stand down and not ticket the private toll road. There should be no real police only bandits. Do not stop on the toll road for cops, just don't do it, not right now. Keep going with flow or faster and don't let them pass you.

In pueblos, if a pedestrian cop whistles at you to stop, dont stop. If a cop waves you over, ignore them. If you get pulled over by real policia or federales be polite and do what they say.

This is good. I don't cross before 7am and don't plan on stopping on the toll road either. They'll have to catch me or run me off the road. Convoy is good.

I have a throw-away wallet too with a throw-away license. Still, I've only been asked for my license once, in Ensenada, and I gave the cop a photo copy of the license and when he said ''this is a copy,'' I said ''yes it is."

Carry a knife.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
On the toll road people drive fast, it works because the bad guys can't move quick enough to catch you. And the real police are ordered to stand down and not ticket the private toll road. There should be no real police only bandits. Do not stop on the toll road for cops, just don't do it, not right now. Keep going with flow or faster and don't let them pass you.

In pueblos, if a pedestrian cop whistles at you to stop, dont stop. If a cop waves you over, ignore them. If you get pulled over by real policia or federales be polite and do what they say.

This is good. I don't cross before 7am and don't plan on stopping on the toll road either. They'll have to catch me or run me off the road. Convoy is good.

I have a throw-away wallet too with a throw-away license. Still, I've only been asked for my license once, in Ensenada, and I gave the cop a photo copy of the license and when he said ''this is a copy,'' I said ''yes it is."

Carry a knife.

How bout a flare gun or spear gun?:spingrin:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 03:37 PM

I've already changed my vacation plans. My wife and I spent 3 weeks and alot of pesos in baja this summer. We were going to take our boat and explore by Sea of Cortez next summer we've decided to vacation state side next year.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 04:44 PM

DrTom, keep in mind that weoponry is alot like 4 wheel drive. It's designed to get you out of trouble, not into it. That said, unless you are expert in the use of a spear gun or flare gun, I would probably devise another plan. You may be more of a man than I, but I sure have trouble concealing a spear gun in my pocket! I usually have a baseball bat handy, and one of those "club" devices that attach to your steering wheel. I have never used either one. I thought of having mace or pepper spray, but I'd just end up spraying myself. Sometimes I carry one of those air horns. Let one of those baby's rip and you have everyone's attention! However, it gets used for practical jokes more than anything else. Pretty hilarious. Based on your responses, you're not scaring easy. I commend you on your spirit of adventure. Keep eyes peeled, and stay safe. Besides, Baja is still way safer than Africa, the Maldives, Indonesia and Sumatra.

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Carry a knife.

And have the balls to use it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Carry a knife.

Against ballistic weapons?

Better have more brains than more balls.

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Carry a knife.

Not a good idea since every incident has involved automatic weapons with crazy b...tards toting them. I have no doubt that they would waste you in a second as they do the local and state police.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
I have no doubt that they would waste you in a second as they do the local and state police..

And you would do what? Stand there and let them do it?
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Zac

Would a video of the poor womens rape change your mind? Get your head out of the sand.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 10:55 PM

I know the folks this happened to...it's no B.S.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
I have no doubt that they would waste you in a second as they do the local and state police..

And you would do what? Stand there and let them do it?

I wouldn't stand there if I had 4 carloads of heavily armed guys with me or a commando team. If I didn't I would give them my money and my Toyota and go home and have a drink.
Alternative? My brains blown out?
Make your own choice.

(I don't take my wife to Baja)

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by Stickers]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-20-2007 at 11:45 PM

Damn...it is easy to read the cowards and the heroes in this post...
edit: I should not have said cowards...maybe realist...what do you think???

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2007 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Zac

Would a video of the poor womens rape change your mind? Get your head out of the sand.

I never said I doubted anyone's story. But I do stand by my advice.

Zac

Marmeon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 11:11 AM
I'd look at Vivaloha's comments.

He posted about Baja surfing on 11/19/07. That has what I consider to be the best summary of common sense driving (or doing anything else in Baja for that matter) I've seen. Go in the daytime. Stop in downtown Ensenada to change money. But otherwise don't stop for any reason until you get to San Quintin. Bad s&%t happens, no doubt. Everywhere, on occasion. Baja is no different. But if you aren't stupid and arrogant, I don't think the risk is anymore there than home if you are south of the high-volume- stupid-arrogant-and-drunk-American-tourist zone.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 11:20 AM

Marmeon and all

Its time to get real and stop trying to blame problems on the victim. Meth addicts will steal from their brother, they will steal garbage, they are insane and they behaviour is not based on a response to you, your style or your actions. If they freak out on drugs and want more which happens all day every day they will look for something to steal and it just goes on from there.

Baja is full of meth criminals and nothing short of beating them off 24/7 will stop them. So start beating them up, bring dogs, bring anything, I think an old thule or yakima bar is the best weapon, traditional samurai techniques have come back into popularity.

[Edited on 11-22-2007 by gnukid]
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 11:26 AM

I hope you mean we should beat them up - not beat them off.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2007 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I hope you mean we should beat them up - not beat them off.

:lol: Oh my! TMI, plus an ugly visual.

Marmeon, it's probably best one exchanges dollars for pesos while still in the U.S. and skip the down town Ensenada money exchange part of the trip.

P<*)))><

[Edited on 22-11-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.