Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Convoy to La Paz
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 09:42 AM

It seems like most of the problems have been happening on the way north. I'll go south through TJ but north i'm going through Tecate
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
It seems like most of the problems have been happening on the way north. I'll go south through TJ but north i'm going through Tecate

......and don't forget the "not at night" part.:light:

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 12:08 PM

Looking forward to BajaRickster and his better half this Wednesday. It has been a few years since I have seen them.

mexwest

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 03:47 PM

We are heading down Dec. 30th mid day. going all the way to los Cabos. 2 Vehicles 6 people.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

Just noticed...No...the three recent was one going north and one going south...and one on beach.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
mexwest

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 04:11 PM

Sorry. Meant to say Nov 30th. This Friday.
kodiak
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 08:35 PM

Hey..thats the day our caravan is crossing:!: There is going to be 7 of us, last I heard. Got some Germans, Canadians, and a few hillbillies in the group...should prove to be interesting!!:bounce:
stanburn
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 08:58 PM

Okay, I can't help myself.

I am walking from my house to centro Santiago in the morning if anyone wants to join me. I may be forced to buy a paper and veggies against my will!

Sorry, a little attempt at humor

I am sure I will get flamed for the following, but is it just me or are the people having the problems guilty of "conspicuous consumption"? I don't drive a $30l truck with another 10 - 20 k of toys inside, on top, towed behind. Have you ever thought what that looks like as you travel through these places where locals are strugglling to get by with much less?

Ooops, my beer spilled, Mas Victoria por favor!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 07:22 AM

Knowing the difficulty of hiding a fishing boat on a trailer, can you suggest another method toward inconspicuousness?
Robbery isn't a result of disenfranchisment. It's a result of a breakdown and eradication of morals unless junkies are to be given the defense of desperation.
I appreciate your cogent point although if we have to hide from the morally decrepit, we are going to the wrong place and perhaps that's becoming an all too real fact.
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 08:15 AM

Have been trying to refrain from replying to this hijack hysteria thread. Oh well, was it Shakspeare said, "Much ado about nothing"?

People who are freaking about this issue obviously don't read the LA Times. More of these crimes occur in LA in ONE DAY than in Baja in one YEAR. You wouldnt drive your toys thru East LA at 4 AM. Why insist on tempting the current crime ring in Tijuana by driving thru there at 4 AM?????

Slow down, take your time. You don't need to set speed records to San Juanico or Cabo. There are bigger issues than 3 or 4 fools getting ripped off at 4 AM, but NOTHING should stand in your way of coming down and enjoying the beauty of Baja and it's people!

Reporting from La Paz, ;D

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back
You wouldnt drive your toys thru East LA at 4 AM.

There are bigger issues than 3 or 4 fools getting ripped off at 4 AM, but NOTHING should stand in your way of coming down and enjoying the beauty of Baja and it's people!

I havn't heard any fishing reports out of East LA. If they were catching Dorado, you can bet people would be going there.

The toll road victims could do well without being called fools. They've been through enough. What issues are bigger than these occurances?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 12:05 PM

Dennis,

You have made reference to "junkies" being perpetrators of violence in Baja. It is not the nature of heroin users to be overtly violent. They will look for opportunities to be stealthy and steal from friends, family or anyone else they can con. They don't have the intensity nor desire to commit acts of violence.

I believe you are describing Meth Heads. They are desperate, delusionary and violent.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2007 at 12:32 PM

Thanks Tony....

I hope I didn't offend the meth heads by calling them junkies or, vice versa. They're all the same ilk [ jeezo...I hate that word ] to me. Whatever they are, they arn't very nice.

Allow me to expand my above post to Baja&Back......

You have the advantage of traveling the corridor in the manner suggested here, in a group. You take caravans through. You also have a vested interest in downplaying the gravity of the situation, the real danger involved. It wouldn't help your business. Correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 01:31 AM

Back to the topic, BajaRickster and his lovely bride are sleeping well at
Bajdock's pub this evening. Their Cadillac and large Jeep(2 vehicles) trimmed with stuff did not meet any crime from Tecate to Ensenada today. Nomads in La Paz are lucky to enjoy these 2 as new neighbors.

Tifosi
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja on my mind

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 11:01 AM

We are crossing at San Yisdro Friday the 30th (my birthday!!!) around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We are only going to Bajamar for the weekend, but I will look for other Nomads headed south on the toll road and try to fall in line with them. Sorry, I won't be pulling any trailers or boats, since it's just a 3 day trip. I think we should be OK going down and coming home as long as we travel during daylight hours. I am a little worried about the trip from Ensenada back north to Bajamar in the evening. It's about 25 minutes, but the road is dark and winds up the mountain coast. I keep going over the route in my head and can think of very few places for the bad guys to come out of, but you can bet I will be alert and not stop till I get to the gate of Bajamar.

Tifosi
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Have been trying to refrain from replying to this hijack hysteria thread. Oh well, was it Shakspeare said, "Much ado about nothing"?

People who are freaking about this issue obviously don't read the LA Times. More of these crimes occur in LA in ONE DAY than in Baja in one YEAR. You wouldnt drive your toys thru East LA at 4 AM. Why insist on tempting the current crime ring in Tijuana by driving thru there at 4 AM?????

Slow down, take your time. You don't need to set speed records to San Juanico or Cabo. There are bigger issues than 3 or 4 fools getting ripped off at 4 AM, but NOTHING should stand in your way of coming down and enjoying the beauty of Baja and it's people!

You're absolutely right.

I'll cancel my vacation plans to Compton. :rolleyes:

awfulart
Nomad

Mood: Wondering what our Nit-Wit elected officials are doing now?

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 04:11 PM
Dec 28th

We expect to cross the border, either Tecate or Tijuana on Dec. 28th around 10:00 AM. Heading for Auncion, no particular itinerary other than getting past Ensenada as soon as possible. Pulling a 28 ft Alpenlite trailer with a Gray 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel pickup. I guess we could be quite visible to the bad guys.

Art and Alice:biggrin:

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-29-2007 at 04:41 PM

You wouldn't be saying that to prevent a loss in buisness would you??

Quote:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.