Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Pound for Pound
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 01:54 PM

"pound for pound"

A #30 Sheepshead will outpull (IMHO) any other #30 fish in the Ocean..He may not pull for very long, but the initial bite and run are outrageous..
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 02:06 PM

Big Baracuda anyone ?? :biggrin:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Jack Crevalle gets my vote. And I've pulled plenty of yellowtails off submerged reefs.

Trevally and Crevalle are virtually the same fish, just bigger. The same broadside power generated by swimming at right angles to the fishermen.

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

Here's a pic of a bluefin trevally caught near Zihuatenejo, where they're unusual. I've never seen one as far north as Loreto but I think a few are sometime caught around Cabo. A jack, and very similar to a jack crevalle(toro), and also a great fighter. I'd like to tangle with the big boys, the giant trevally, someday in the other side of the pond.

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by Don Alley]
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

shocked.gif posted on 11-30-2007 at 02:27 PM

A fishing hero of mine the late Zane Gray said of all the fish he had ever caught the swordfish was by far away the toughest he had ever caught,in one of his books he and his brother hooked a sword off Catalina early pm stayed with that fish well into the night by following the line with a seachlight only to discover the damn thing started chasing flying fish.

Exhaustion set in for the two so it was time to cut the fish loose,near midnight:O this was something that Gray never did,and may have been the only time.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 02:55 PM

How about the "Pelican" fish.
Caught one going out of the La Paz harbor and never had that much fun fishing in my life. The critter circled the boat for half an hour before I got it close enough for the skipper to get the lure out of his bill.
Like flying a great looking kite without too much wind :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 11-30-2007 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 03:16 PM

In the very early days even before my time:biggrin: bluefin fishing off Catalina island was very good and fish up to 300# were common so the Avalon tuna club was born.

The early reels were singular action wrist busters with large thumb stalls and heavy gloves linen line,how they pulled that off is beyond me.

Gray was a pioneer in developement of the drag sytems and paid a swedish toolmaker to build one for him,cost a meager 1500$:lol:

Those fish also went by the name "horse mackeral"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 03:54 PM
Pound for pound..............

...........fishermen are the biggest liars on the planet. :lol:

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 04:40 PM

Reef yellowtail don't pull any harder, they just have the reef to wrap you around on. Kinda lilke a dog snapper in a reef.

In the open water, you are fighting YT one-on-one, and they fight well.

IMO, bluefin are up there in terms of pull. They will kick your ass and take you around the boat. Anything over 50lbs will bring an adult to their knees. Marlin jump and shake their head, but I don't think they actually pull that hard, especially considering their size. Dorado don't pull either, comparatively speaking, they jump and shake their head when out of the water and throw the hook.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 05:40 PM

Catalina Island, California...

I've caught striped marlin there, and caught them in Baja. The Catalina fish were smaller but fought much harder than the Baja fish. I even got spooled with 40lb (old dacron) on a Senator once near Catalina.

Bonito I used to catch around Anacapa (Oxnard/Ventura) pulled harder than the Catalina models of the same size.

Some say it's the colder water. If so, I'll pass on the 600lb bluefin off Nova Scotia.;D

Reef yellowtail: How hard the fish pulls is related to how hard the fisherman pulls. If I can find ylowtail on top, off the reefs, I drop down to lighter tackle, and neither one of us pulls as hard.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 05:53 PM

Pound for Pound I vote for Bonita for sure.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 05:59 PM

Toro-Toro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
How hard the fish pulls is related to how hard the fisherman pulls.

Very true!

If you strike a bonefish and give it slack line immediately it won't even run off. It will just stay there. I've tried it many times.

It's one of the biggest beefs I have with PETA. They claim that the animal is in such pain it struggles to remove it. In fact, just give it total freedom and it stops the struggle, hook or no hook. What fish really object to is a loss of freedom. Much like a wild bronco that experiences a rider for the first time. But maybe the people at PETA are against that too. Have I just spoiled this thread?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 06:40 PM

What kind of bait or lure do you use to catch a Peta? Do they fight hard?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 06:44 PM

Ohhhh.... they are tenacious.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 08:20 PM

Manta rays anyone? A good variety of contenders and opinions. Looks like there are lots of great fish out there good for the pulling. I have always been intrigued by the machaca de mantaraya that I have seen for sale in
La Paz. Has anyone ever tasted this or seen it anywhere else beside La Paz?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 10:02 PM

You're all heartless. If they weren't fish, you'd probably waterboard them.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2007 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Manta rays anyone? A good variety of contenders and opinions. Looks like there are lots of great fish out there good for the pulling. I have always been intrigued by the machaca de mantaraya that I have seen for sale in
La Paz. Has anyone ever tasted this or seen it anywhere else beside La Paz?

I have eaten fresh manta ray in central Baja several times, it's DELICOUS.never as Machaca though. I've also seen it for sale (fresh, well:?:) at the mercado negro in Ensenda. Never hung one, not sure if they "bite"
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 12-1-2007 at 10:36 AM

What's called mantaraya is usually stingray "wings" and yes, you can hook them. I've never heard of anyone catching a giant manta ray. Now and then some of my employees will get together for some "manta". Usually a guy from Nayarit cooks it on a "disco" (like a big wok) mixed with vegetables. It won't hold together as filets. It tastes pretty good in tacos but I always have to get past the fact that it smells like cat food.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-1-2007 at 10:58 AM

Now that you guys have mentioned it, a "mud marlin" has got to be up there, pound for pound. What a fight!

By mud marlin, I mean a bat ray.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2007 at 11:13 AM

The mantaraya I ate was out of a net, I saw the animal. Kinda sad, but what are you going to do, it's dead. Eat it! Similar prep though, fried in the disco (what isn't?). I took a piece back to camp and cooked it thenext day on the barbie with Old Bay spice. Very different and delicous. Big , long strands of meat..when cooking, it holds together fairly well, some of the "strands" will peel away. kinda like triple thick spaghetti. Nothing else like it that I have eaten..
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.