Author: Subject: Invitation
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Ken,
Do you know my Father-in-law, Elwyn Gates, developer of Gates Underwater Camera housings, which he owned and operated for 30 years and otherwise diving guru of SoCal. He was the President of the San Diego Underwater Photographic Society for several years in the 80s.

He is in the South Pacific, Figi, somewhere on a dive boat as I write. Being married to his daughter is like marrying into the Cousteau family. He has amazing still and video footage.

Sorry for the mini hijack on your thread :biggrin:

Gadget

I know of him, of course, but I don't think I ever met him.

++Ken++
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 04:29 PM
Ken--a gentle little bump!

Being recognized is great............sorry I can't make it.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Never been to Morro Bay, Ken... How long do you think it would take to drive there from Oceanside? Oceanside to Santa Barbara is about 3 hrs., I think? Would love to see the exhibit, meet you, party with Dern, Paulina and other Nomads...

It amazes me that our intrepid Nomad explorer David K has never seen Morrow Bay. Well David, the compass also points North - try it you might like it - the roads are very good and you wont need 4 wheel drive.
All these years it never occurred to me to go diving there but Ken has certainly opened my eyes. I will try to make it to the presentation.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 12:48 PM

Come on now, I have too gone north... at least once!

Last November, to northern Arizona...

Arizona 11-07 108r.JPG - 30kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 2-16-2008 at 10:37 AM

Hey David. Come on up to Morro. Maybe we can all check out Ken's photos at the museum (5 minutes from my house) and make it a Nomads camp out like Paulina suggested. If you guys need a place to crash instead of camping just u2u me. Pot luck bbq sounds like fun. Make it a Nomad Norte get togeather and check out the coast:biggrin:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2008 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, what's all this Baja talk about anyhoo?:lol: DK, swing by Oregon and I'll buy you a beer and a shooter.:rolleyes:

How's about a Baja photo display from the best ?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aha baja
Hey David. Come on up to Morro. Maybe we can all check out Ken's photos at the museum (5 minutes from my house) and make it a Nomads camp out like Paulina suggested. If you guys need a place to crash instead of camping just u2u me. Pot luck bbq sounds like fun. Make it a Nomad Norte get togeather and check out the coast:biggrin:

"I want to mention Morro Bay State park campground is directly across from the museum. It has been recently refurbished and would be a great spot to set up camp if anyone wanted to make it a weekend trip. I guess you could hotel it too, but camping would be more "baja-ish".

No offense, but I wasn't implying a Nomad Campout session, only mentioning a nice campground available right across the street from the museum for those who might want to camp vs. hotel it.

If the Nomads who are coming up feel like circling the campfire at Morro Bay State Park, you'll like it, it's a nice place. It's got the best hot shower for your $.25

My "MOM" schedule is way hectic right now, starting at 9am on Saturday. We are taking a break to enjoy and soak up Ken and Gary's presentation and then it's back to more 4H obligations with Cody for the remainder of the weekend.

I can't wait for Spring Break.

Until Saturday,

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 10:02 PM

Thanks Paulina and aha baja, we won't be making it up, so please post about it afterwards!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 03:47 PM

Just a quick post to say, "Wow!" What a fantastic presentation Ken and Gary gave us yesterday at the museum. Dern and I arrived about fifteen minutes before the start of the program and found it to be a full house. We lucked out and got the teacher's pet seats in the front row, and before I knew it, it was standing room only.

The photos and information about the life under our local T pier was excellent, although I felt that the audience was cheated. They only saw photos from our local Morro Bay waters and not Ken's collection of Baja and it's wonders we are fortunate to see here on the Nomad board.

Thank you again Ken, what a special treat!

Paulina y Dern

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 04:50 PM

Great to hear, thanks Paulina!

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 04:50 PM

Thank you so much for the kind words, Paulina y Dern. It was a FUN day, the audience was just great. What did you think of those winds right after the show??

Mil gracias otra vez,

++Ken++

[Edited on 2-24-2008 by Ken Bondy]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 09:40 PM

Winds???? Those were gale force it seemed. Our friend ended up with a monster tree invading his yard. How it missed the houses is a mystery. Lots of wind damage in the neighborhood. We lost power around 3pm, and it was still out when we finally gave up and went to bed around 10pm.

Funny, in Baja when the power is out, or we are without, it seems normal. We light a fire, huricane lamps, board games and good conversation. Here in the States it just doesn't have the same feel. Dern plugged the heavy duty extension cord into the inverter in the truck to power the computer, so at least we had internet off and on. The TV didn't like roughing it, so it was not cooperative. We have generators, but they're in Baja. I suggested to Dern that we bring one home as we tend to loose power when it gets windy.

It was a cold, windy, rainy night that would have felt less miserable if it were in Baja.

Thanks again for the wonderful show yesterday. Let us know when the next coffee date is.

P y D

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 11:05 PM

Ken, have always enjoyed your pictures and maybe a calendar of the pictures that bring the best comments for you would be an oppurtunity to let more people enjoy your work. Can not make it but definately would like to!!! Later------------------------------- bajafun777

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.