Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Family Affair
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Has anyone else noticed the large estate home on the east side of the toll road, I believe north of La Joya? (Before you get to the La Costa restaurant.)

Large lawn with a couple of dozen little Tee Pee structures for their fighting c-cks. First time I realized what it was it came as quite a surprize. :O:O:O

Ken

[Edited on 3-12-2008 by tripledigitken]

Aaaahhhhh, I've been wondering for years what that place was.

As to the issue of cultural events based on killing animals, anyone ever been to a bull fight?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 11:21 AM

To answer DanO's question; No.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 11:42 AM

I've been to one bullfight in Mazatlan. Quite a spectacle. Don't think much of the killing of the bull, like the Portugese way of fighting better, where they leave the bull alive.
Once did see a bullfight on horseback ( has a special name, which escapes me ) and there was one little black feisty bull, which gored a horse and could not be controlled by anyone.
After a lot of tries they finally gave up (cowards) and managed to lead the animal out of the arena, to the delight of the crowd, whom for minutes applauded the bull and sneered at the picadores.(?)

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 11:46 AM

Quote:

I disagree...as a 10 year old I was wringing 50 to 100 chicken necks a day

So that's what happened to you.:?::?::no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 11:53 AM

There's a huge difference between killing for food and killing for fun.
As far as being a cultural event, human sacrifice used to be a cultural event.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:

There is no violence or evil intended by any of these kind folks. Just a gathering of friends and family for sport and entertainment.

Hard to understand this, but we have human sports with violence, and blood....for entertaiment. Never been to a c-ckfight, but like Diver I would would go. It's their culture, and our choice to not experience if this is something your not ok with.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 12:31 PM

This reminds me of a story about this tourist who entered a restaurant in Seville during the April bullfighting fair. There he noticed the waiter serving up a delicious-looking plate. Curious he asked the waiter what the plate was.

"Bull's testicles," the waiter replied.

The tourist was intrigued, and so he ordered a plate. To which the waiter informed him: "I'm so sorry, but that was our last plate for the day. But if you would like, we can reserve you a plate for tomorrow."

To which the tourist agreed.

The next day the tourist went back to the restaurant. He hadn't eaten anything all day, and he was starved. He sat down to the table and awaited his plate. The waiter arrived and lifted off the lid covering the plate.

And our tourist friend was disappointed. This looked nothing like the plate he'd seen the day before. So he called the waiter over and complained about the incredibly small serving.

To which the waiter replied: "I am so sorry, seņor, but you see, today the bull won."

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Basically not much different from Dogfighting.:no:

I disagree...as a 10 year old I was wringing 50 to 100 chicken necks a day so people like you could eat them...Don't recall butchering many dogs for you.

You may not but others have.

In the past people from Japan looked down at their Korean neighbors, referring to them as "dog-eaters".
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 01:57 PM

Not uncommon to eat dog at all. Cultures world-wide have eaten dog for centuries. Aztecs, American Natives, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, etc. They are/were considered 'livestock' like cattle and pigs. Today's Koreans still eat dog, but not a large percentage of the population. Referred to as '4-season stew.'

What was this thread about again?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 02:07 PM

I agree with Tony C.
We recently bought a place in Buena Vista and one day noticed that they were setting up an arena at the public beach access area. I was told that it was for a c-ck fight. Being from New Mexico and the last state to outlaw c-ck fighting (along with Louisiana and only because our governor was running for President) I was farmiliar with all of the pros and cons even though I had never been to one or had ever been interested in going.

I wanted to embrace the local custom, being a new resident so I went. I, too found it to be a big family affair that had a friendly, carnival atmosphere. Nothing like the seedy reputation that some would imagine and while I didn't get any satisfaction out of seeing roosters killing each other I did enjoy feeling welcome and part of the celebration. It was Saturday night and I was the only gringo that I saw although there were some there earlier in the day.

I'm not sure if I would go again but maybe. No one forced me to go the first time....dt
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.