Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8
Author: Subject: netting cabrilla in Loreto
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 02:47 PM

over the last six years that I have spent in Baja (a majority portion of each year) I have personally seen the decline in the fisheries.

Declared World Biospheres are regularly gill netted...esteros aka fish nurseries regularly gill netted, by catch kill of immature fish staggering....cabrilla netted by the tens of thousands, everything kept, nothing returned...

A complete joke, but one that will be eventually paid for by hard working/hard fishing pangeros..."they can't see the Ocean for the Cabrilla". They will shed some hard tears as their ninos are forced to leave their beautiful and peaceful little Pueblos...a sad day coming.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 02:48 PM

"cabrilla trapped by the tens of thousands, daily"....

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Waiting for Skeet, at this point .....

You don't already know what he's going to say?

He's going to say we're just not skilled enough.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Waiting for Skeet, at this point .....

You don't already know what he's going to say?

He's going to say we're just not skilled enough.

Or we're not using the right panguero. Or we're too busy running around nekkid on motorcycles while smoking dope (with Nena). :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-9-2008 by Roberto]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 06:58 PM

Roberto - So... you enjoyed our outing.:lol:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
over the last six years that I have spent in Baja (a majority portion of each year) I have personally seen the decline in the fisheries.

Declared World Biospheres are regularly gill netted...esteros aka fish nurseries regularly gill netted, by catch kill of immature fish staggering....cabrilla netted by the tens of thousands, everything kept, nothing returned...

A complete joke, but one that will be eventually paid for by hard working/hard fishing pangeros..."they can't see the Ocean for the Cabrilla". They will shed some hard tears as their ninos are forced to leave their beautiful and peaceful little Pueblos...a sad day coming.

George, of course you're right, that's what will happen. One question -- won't this be a case of the victims being the cause of their own demise?
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Roberto - So... you enjoyed our outing.:lol:

Nena

Immensely. :cool:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 02:45 AM

Roberto, yes and no.

I was guilty of the same greed, maybe mine worse, it was not a matter of life and death for me, just a supplemental income to my FDNY salary. I would have casted at, and sold, the last striped bass on earth had not stringent regulations been put in place, AND ENFORCED. Hey, if I don't get that fish someone else will...The nature of the beast.

Until the Mexican Politicos stop getting paid and begin looking out for the future of it's people this mayhem will continue. I am not in favor of most Gov't regs. (in fact, I fought the U.S. Interior Dept for 15 years) but sometimes it simply becomes a necessary evil for the good of all.

As outsiders, we can only hope for a change.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 11:21 AM

The Past 40 years I spent on the Sea of Cortez, The Longliners have been working, the Local Fisherman have been netting, The Shrimpers left Loreto, The Squid Fisherman pulled 4 o Tons a nite out in the Front of Loreto and other Places, However on my recent Trip I saw the Sea of Cortex as it was 30 years ago, Millions of Bait, Thousands of Yellowtail on top of the Water, Sharks Feeding, Dolphins Feeding Birds every where!!

Why??

I think that there is a Truck Load of BS being Spread around.. Put you Boots on George. this is Not
Cape Cod!!

Seems as if some of those Naysayers should go and take a Look.

Skeet/Loreto
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 11:27 AM

What ? Nothing about nekkid motorbikers ?!?! :lol:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 11:46 AM

Skeet, can I borrow your boots?, they're much larger.

And you're right, it's not Cape Cod, it's much worse as far as the decimation of fish populations are going...

You're living in the past Skeet, good for you. Keep your dreams alive.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 01:07 PM

Sometimes the bajanomad forums remind me of a joke we used to tell in junior high. Perhaps you've heard it tambien.

It seems a new inmate arrives in jail one days and hears the following:

first inmate: 45!
remaining inmates: laughter

second inmate: 67!
remaining inmates: more laughter

third inmate: 109!
remaining inmates: everone is busting up with uncontrolable laughter

Finally the new inmate turns to his neighbor and asks him what the heck is going on. Well, he's told, they've all heard the jokes so many times that they've numbered them and no longer bother actually saying them. Gratefully, the new guy joins in.

78!
laughter

and then 45!
silence

Surprised, the new inmate again turns to his neighbor for an explanation. Oh, he's told, someone told 45 yesterday.

Are discussions becoming that predictable amongst ourselves also?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 01:32 PM

That old highway goes on forever and the party never ends. If you think you've heard all this BS before you're probably right.:D The northern Gulf of Mexico during the late 70's thru the 80's was gill-netted and overfished by both commercial and recreational fisherman. :no: The fish are returning now, but only after the gill-netting was limited/prohibited and recreational quotas were set as well as enforced.:yes:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Are discussions becoming that predictable amongst ourselves also?

Pretty much.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 02:13 PM

who really gives a rats ass if they are?

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 05:41 PM

Answer one Question:

Why do I go onto the Sea of Cortez a Month ago and see the waters and Fish as they have been all the Years Past??????

The Fish are back in Wholesale Numbers and you Idots haven't the Brains or the Courage to go see for yourselves.

Children, wake up! Spend a few Bucks and go observe. Hire a Panga, go to Mulege then down to St. Tersa, Pulpito, Del Elfonso, but No, you wont do that you will depend on some Weak-Minded Berkerly Graduate to control your Minds. What a Shame!

My Kids and Grandkids will still be fishing the Great Sea Of Cortez while yours will be moaning and Groaning that there is No Fish in the Sea of Cortez.

Oh! You Poor Babies!

Skeet/Loreto
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 06:07 PM

Ok, I'm going to try this one.

Skeet -- there are folks on here who actually LIVE in the area you are talking about, and they report a reality very different from yours. How do you explain that?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Skeet -- there are folks on here who actually LIVE in the area you are talking about, and they report a reality very different from yours. How do you explain that?

He already has; they are children and Idiots !
So good to have someone like Skeet here to set us straight. :P

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 06:37 PM

He can't. One or two days hot fishing and Skeet has wriitten and entire new history of the Sea of Cortez fishery.

I don't contend that fishing has gone to hell or anything like that, but Skeets sweeping statement that concludes fishing is as good as it ever was is foolish, and to call anybody that says otherwise a brainless coward?? How sad.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Answer one Question:

Why do I go onto the Sea of Cortez a Month ago and see the waters and Fish as they have been all the Years Past??????

The Fish are back in Wholesale Numbers and you Idots haven't the Brains or the Courage to go see for yourselves.

Children, wake up! Spend a few Bucks and go observe. Hire a Panga, go to Mulege then down to St. Tersa, Pulpito, Del Elfonso, but No, you wont do that you will depend on some Weak-Minded Berkerly Graduate to control your Minds. What a Shame!

My Kids and Grandkids will still be fishing the Great Sea Of Cortez while yours will be moaning and Groaning that there is No Fish in the Sea of Cortez.

Oh! You Poor Babies!

Skeet/Loreto

That's right Skeets. Let em have it with both barrels

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.