BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: How many Nomads are hunters?
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 06:48 AM

lets try this again

"big game pointing Labs"

[URL=http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaavu4.jpg][IMG]http://img65.imageshack.us/
img65/1909/aaavu4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 06:58 AM

One last try,

Big Game Pointing Lab.

But, can she retreive it? ,(and wheres the edit button?)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 09:58 AM
Late 40's and 50's prices of shotguns

You can't imagine how good it is to find like-minded sportsmen here. Brings a whole new dimension to the forum. I first hunted Baja in the El Rosario region...quail, dove, deer, and managed not to shoot any goats.

I found some old magazines and catalogs squirreled away at my hunting shack. They took me back to my childhood days and I framed them. Take a good look at those old prices.....wow! What would they go for today? 20-25 times that much.

I wonder how many of these shotguns and rifles made their way to Baja back then? Every rancher I have ever met in Baja and the mainland has a shotgun, a .22, and a 30-30 or two. I never bring guns or ammo to Mexico because it is just too much red tape and worry. If asked, I would advise against it. My amigos and I use the services and equipment of licensed outfitters, of which there are many.

Here's a pic of one page from the old catalog. (Got fishing ones, too. Now there's some collector items!!) Wouldn't you love to find a sporting goods store today...with these bargain prices on collecters? I could fill my other 2 walls at the shack up north. ;D

- 0 1oldgunpricing.jpg - 41kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 11:44 AM

Great topic, Pomp....I've hunted em all too, from straight up chukars on the talus slopes to sittin' in a pit over a hundred honker decoys...first gun was a single shot 16 guage; dont even know if they make em anymore. I was fortunate to have grown up on a farm in Oregon and hunted and fished just about everyday of my life growing up....then....lucked into a job as a park ranger and spent twenty years traveling around from remote region to remote region all over the NW....would love to see those clouds of whitewings on the mainland sometime but right now am trying to find those elusive dodos here in mulege

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 11:56 AM

I was an avid hunter until one day... Actually I had two one days. Once when hunting Canadian Geese and the other when deer hunting. The stories to come later.

Edit: Oh no, I can't tell the stories in here because it did not happen in "La Baja." It happened in Southern Calfiornia. Darn! Oh well some other time and place.

[Edited on 6-2-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 03:12 PM

Is this shack just off I-8 by Elensburg?

viewthread.jpg - 46kB
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 03:17 PM

mulegemichael, Most of those "Mulege Dodos" have migrated north.:tumble:
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 06:18 PM

Mr. gypsy is a very avid hunter, we try to get our limit in deer and geese each year, to feed the gypsy family! With 3 growing boys and 1 teenage girl, that is a lot of deer!

American's even come to our province to hunt geese, very good hunting in Saskatchewan!

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 09:19 PM

Good thread. The best thing about about a fall hunt is deer camp. I don't hunt anymore so I get to be camp cook and I love it. Up at 4am to make coffee and biscuits; walk the woods; make dinner and play cards; drink a little loud-mouth and tell lies. I sneak my fly rod along and get to cook trout along with the usual chili, steaks, 'sketti. Might be the best part of the year.

debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 09:52 PM
Sorry, no trophy pics, but here she is!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 05:34 AM
A really beautiful gal, Deb.

Your chocolate Emalou probably looked a lot like my Cheyenne when she was a pup.

It's amazing how quickly a puppy can train a human. ;D

Remember the song by Aerosmith?.."The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."

- 0 0.jpg - 47kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 05:53 AM
Way Up North

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Is this shack just off I-8 by Elensburg?

No, Russ...that old line shack is way Up North. Lots of structures with 'character' in our neck of the woods, which is why we like it. :yes:

[Edited on 6-3-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 0 elk shack Bob 88.JPG - 43kB

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 06:01 AM

The last time I went hunting was for doves in Utah 13 years ago, so I probably don't qualify as a hunter anymore. I am on standby however, with a local good old cowboy who gets the call when the wild pigs invade the farm fields. He's also promised to take me turkey hunting, although Dern says he won't eat it.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 09:06 AM

Never hunted, too old to learn. My labs have a 100%
retrieval record on tennis balls and think prowling through brush is done my rearranging the comforter on the bed.

BUT...I have really enjoyed this thread and reading all of your stories!!!!!!
Thanks!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 08:42 AM
Boots set out.

Thanks George. He told me he'd be on the porch, looking over my shoulder. Godspeed, old amigo.

Am now on the Olympic peninsula at the memorial and hooked online today for this quick post.

Here's what the Baja crew looked like in 1978 hunting at my place near Lake Metigoshe, ND. Snows, honkers, and greenies were the main fare with over 4000 full decoys in the fields. Whew..that got us up early in the a.m.

I could fill a few pages with accounts of the hunts and camping trips aquaholic and I took over the years in Baja Sur, but will have to do that another time. Suffice to say, we lived the times and kept the memories in our hearts.

Am heartened to see that I am in good company with the many 'hunter' nomads responding to this thread.

3 veteran Baja hands: biologists-outsdoormen-hunters-fishermen-conservationists-compadres all.

Hunt well, aquaholic.

'aquaholic' - 'Indian Joe' - 'The Purple Sage'

- 0 0 aquaholic (Custom) (3).jpg - 47kB

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-8-2008 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Does Anthony's in Ensenada count?

I think it's the girls that do the hunting there, in fact one of them is known for her poor typing cause she's a huntanpecker:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 08:51 AM
WHY HUNT OR FISH?

Around our fire for the last few weeks, we have been discussing the future of hunting and fishing.

We are a varied bunch. To some it seems contradictory; to express respect, reverence, even love for an animal or fish that you pursue, hunt, kill, and eat. It’s true that this seeming contradiction is as hard for hunters to explain as it is for non-hunters to understand.

For me, and quite a few of my amigos, it is second nature to hunt and fish. But to explain coherently 'why I do' is often touchy ground when asked by a friend who is a non-hunter/fisher. I will always respectfully try to explain, even to a newcomer, but the answer is too complex for a short conversation. Part of it may be that it takes a life experience and the varities there are countless. I think back to what my father's reply often was when asked by flatlanders .."If I have to explain it to you, you would not understand anyway."..and that was always good enough.

Times are ominous for hunting and fishing these days.

Henry David Thoreau, in the great classic Walden, wrote:

“Go fish and hunt far and wide day by day -- farther and wider -- and rest thee by many brooks and hearth-sides without misgiving. Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. There are no larger fields than these, no worthier games than may here be played.”

Thoreau spoke for many hunters (and fishermen) in those words, hunters who hunt not solely for the meat, or for the company, but for the ageless, timeless experience of the hunt itself. If Thoreau had ever found Baja, I wonder where he would call Walden's Pond?

Any new hunts out there? Or hunters?

The versatile and trusty Daisy BB gun.

[Edited on 3-6-2009 by Pompano]

estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 12:53 PM
Dog seeking hunters will work for kiblets

I have a wonderful Versitile Hunting dog. It is a Small Munsterlander Pointer. Just google the breed and you can see what he is about. I would love to work the quail with any of you in Northern Baja next season. I am happy just to handle the dawg. I have a place north of Colonett on the coast. Once I retire I plan to do a whole lot more hunting and fishing!!!
Esteban
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 02:43 PM
Esteban..

Your dog, the Small Munsterlander, certainly resembles both a spaniel and a setter. A very handsome looking pointer, that I will assume is also a good retriever?

I have visited Munster, Germany a while back, where, as I just read, this breed originated. Seems to be quite rare in the Americas.

We hunt quite a bit with shorthairs and pointing labs. Would love to have you join us with your dog for a hunt or two. Baja and Up North. Our season starts Up North about Sept 1st and we have a few nomads that join us for dove, pheasants, sharptail grouse, partridge, sage hen, ducks, and geese.

Again, nice dog! I found a photo of one:

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 06:32 PM
chukar hunting

We be chukar hunters with pointing dogs.

Hunt on foot and also on horseback with a pack animal (carries 2 crates, 2 Brittanys on the pack animal, 1 Brittany out runnin'), hunt God's country of the eastern Oregon high desert or the Snake River canyon-wear out dogs and horses and suck on a drink in the evenings after a day of CLASS dog and bird work. Then again there are those days where it is 10 degrees F., the snot has frozen dripping outta yer nose, there's 8" of snow, and its so steep that everytime you shoot at birds that have been really holding tight you FALL DOWN because its SO icey!!!!

For us its not abt shooting the birds, its about working the dogs! Chukar dinner is just icing on the cake after a great day with the dogs we've raised, trained and developed a relationship with.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.