Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Is Tijuana safe?
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:02 PM

Ken y Onelis en sus últimos pasos con la inmigración. Les deseo toda la suerte posible para que ustedes dos nunca partan uno del otro y que sus vidas se quedan llenas de amor.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
I traveled 3 times recently to Colombia to visit with my fiancee who lives in Northern Colombia. Her street is so "bad", the cab drivers usually make me walk the last block to her house.

Its all worth it, though. Our immigration case is just in its' last stage, and I'm soooo HAPPY to find someone like Onelis that makes me a happy man. I know as a bachelor, you gotta do what you gotta do. But, be aware and be careful out there, because its not always worth the "fun."
Ey ken!
Onelis is a gorgeous chick, and has the same looker as the chicks in Venezuela, where I'm originally from.

Onelis and I in March '08

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Quote:
I traveled 3 times recently to Colombia to visit with my fiancee who lives in Northern Colombia. Her street is so "bad", the cab drivers usually make me walk the last block to her house.

Its all worth it, though. Our immigration case is just in its' last stage, and I'm soooo HAPPY to find someone like Onelis that makes me a happy man. I know as a bachelor, you gotta do what you gotta do. But, be aware and be careful out there, because its not always worth the "fun."
Ey ken!
Onelis is a gorgeous chick, and has the same looker as the chicks in Venezuela, where I'm originally from.

Onelis and I in March '08

I forgot to ask...
what's with the area 51 (or Roswell hat?)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinklerI forgot to ask...

The alien hat is one I purchased on Melrose Ave. in W.Hollywierd last summer. :lol: I'm a big fan of Psychadelic Trance, and the 'alien' is the musics' unofficial mascot.

...I almost forgot to mention, I GAVE this hat to my Onelis. She really wanted this slice of Americana, so I left my cachuchua with her. I never saw someone so happy...

Onelis is pure Costeña - she also has lots of familia on the Atlantic/Carribean coast of Venezuela too.

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by Ken Cooke]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
I was scolded a little about my report from TJ by one of it's leading citizens.
:saint: Tijauna? :rolleyes:

Fixed it Mr. Ambassador:saint:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Fixed it Mr. Ambassador:saint:

:coolup:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 12:50 AM

Another funny story.

When I was driving home I was nearing the Otay crossing.
I had just gotten off the road that leads from San Ysidro and had turned onto the road that leads to Otay.
I noticed a Policia truck behind me for a while. Eventually he hit his lights and pulled me over.
I had failed to use my turn signal at some point. The fine was $38 and I could follow him to the station or he could just write me a ticket... or... I could just pay him $20 and take care of it right there on the spot.
This goes on for a while and a searching of my truck and a running of my plate through the computer.
So it's about 8am on Sunday. I'm tired and want to get home but decide I'll stand my ground this time and request the ticket to be written or I'll be glad to follow him to the station.
Finally he sees that I don't have enough fear to extort me so he lets me go no ticket.
So if you have the time and patience you can wait them out and they would rather just go find someone else who might cave in a little quicker.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

vivaloha
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 07:42 AM

Fish-

You are certainly adventurous, in that "adult male" kind of way, like you said...
From another post you mentioned, pay for scar removal / enhancement to
a new friend of yours in TJ...You are just all about your TJ rowdy life-style
and as an on-looker I'm enjoying your 'ride' and that your are documenting it...

Your night-time persona of "Streetfish" is a nice balance for your day time
bright sunshine, wind in your hair, fishing persona...What do you wear when
you lurk about in TJ at night / early morning...?

Have you ever seen the old school surf movie "Big Wednesday"? There's a scene
in there where their surf posse heads down to TJ for one rowdy night of partying
and carousing and it goes good for a while and then it gets ugly...

Your sense of bachelor adventurism and need to live on the wild side is cool as
along as it doesn't end you up in a bad way...Mango and Ken had some good advice which
deserves consideration...Have fun, be smart, reduce the variables and wear protection....

Fish- keep us updated - just to get a good picture of you out there on the TJ streets...
I must ask what "look" are you sporting...Jeans, t-shirt, flannel, and sneakers...? Khakis,
polo shirt, topsiders? Jeans, black t-shirt with a skull, and boots...

Baja California can be a heaven or hell experience - often the determining factor is your AWARENESS in the moment.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
I can think of safer places to hang out by myself at 3:00 AM.

You are asking for trouble ......

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Another funny story.

When I was driving home I was nearing the Otay crossing.
I had just gotten off the road that leads from San Ysidro and had turned onto the road that leads to Otay.
I noticed a Policia truck behind me for a while. Eventually he hit his lights and pulled me over.
I had failed to use my turn signal at some point. The fine was $38 and I could follow him to the station or he could just write me a ticket... or... I could just pay him $20 and take care of it right there on the spot.
This goes on for a while and a searching of my truck and a running of my plate through the computer.
So it's about 8am on Sunday. I'm tired and want to get home but decide I'll stand my ground this time and request the ticket to be written or I'll be glad to follow him to the station.
Finally he sees that I don't have enough fear to extort me so he lets me go no ticket.
So if you have the time and patience you can wait them out and they would rather just go find someone else who might cave in a little quicker.

Always true and exportable in my experience. Recently, I had a cop in Costa Rica stop me for going 55 KPH in a 35 KPH area that was marked for 1/2 mile section of a major highway. KPH!!!!! Can you spell tourist speed trap? He also wanted to cite me for a passenger in the back who did not have a seat belt on. It took a long, time consuming discussion about having to appear with a ticket in the capital city, San Jose, which was 200 miles away. The streetside rate kept dropping and I kept insisting on the ticket. The longer I kept him there, the less "enforcement" he could do. It ended with the cop receiving nothing and me receiving only a "Vaya con Dios".

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by udowinklerI forgot to ask...

The alien hat is one I purchased on Melrose Ave. in W.Hollywierd last summer. :lol: I'm a big fan of Psychadelic Trance, and the 'alien' is the musics' unofficial mascot.

...I almost forgot to mention, I GAVE this hat to my Onelis. She really wanted this slice of Americana, so I left my cachuchua with her. I never saw someone so happy...

Onelis is pure Costeña - she also has lots of familia on the Atlantic/Carribean coast of Venezuela too.

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Crazy things happen. I´m 3,400 miles south of Tijuana - and the lady above and I broke up 2 days ago. No worries, I´m enjoying myself, and I plan on visiting Northern Baja once I get back - my 40th is just 2 weeks away!! :bounce:

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
the lady above and I broke up 2 days ago.
:no::?::(:?:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
I was scolded a little about my report from TJ by one of it's leading citizens.
So I thought I would try and report exactly what happened and maybe offer a few pointers. I learned a few things about TJ.
I arrived quite late or early Sat. morn. Why did I drive there so late you ask?
I'm trying to figure out a way to make my way as far as I can on Friday night after I get out of work. (11:30pm).
I have already driven as far as Ensenada and gotten there at 2-3 am. Why do this. Because I usually need to get up early and get to my place in San Quintin and sometimes Bola on Sat. so I can fish on Sunday and be back to work at 3pm Monday.
So yes I'm pushing it a little.
I dicided that maybe I just need to get as far as TJ and get into a hotel and maybe play a little in the clubs. So that is the background.
This was my 1st try at TJ. I don't really know my way around there yet. But I'm not really scared of much either.
I got there around 2:30-3:00am. I had a little hotel in mind but didn't know where it was. So I drove into town and found my way to Revolution.
I didn't really want to go driving around that late so I parked in front of the OXXO across from the 24hour Soriana. There were no tourists but lots of locals. I went into the OXXO to buy a beer but it was too late. So I asked if they knew where the Hotel Catalina was and they didn't.
There were other cars parked near mine and it wasn't obviously marked "No Parking" in any way. Later I noticed that it was faded white paint on the curb. But not very well painted.
The barkers from the Aloha club were working me hard as I sat at my truck trying to figure it all out. What the heck... I needed a beer. 1 beer and a very nice lap dance from a beautful lady($16) and I'm back down at my truck.
I grab some cash and walk down the street looking for the Catalina. Turns out to be about 2-3 blocks away and I get a room for $20 and head back to get the truck.
As I'm walking back the Aloha club barker is yelling for me to come quick because they are towing my truck.
I run back and the cop is standing by my truck and the tow truck is making his way over to us.
So it's a very seriuos crime to park in the white zone I guess. The ticket is $80 and the towing is $60 but would I like to pay it right there on the spot. So we settle on $100 and I feel like the luckiest guy in the world as I driving over to the hotel.
It's funny that no one mentioned that it was illegal to park there including all the cops that were standing around when I was still there. And the barker actually wanted a tip for helping me not get towed. I guess it was only illegal after I walked over to the hotel.
I secured my truck on street parking in front of the hotel. I stuff a few bucks in my pocket and head over to the Hotel Ceaser which is the closest bar to the Catalina. I get to the corner of Revo and a very pretty girl intercepts me and begins to offer various services. At this point I want a beer or 2 and then get into my room for some rest. It's like 4am. She is very persuasive. And very charming. Before I can fend her off she has managed to touch me just about everywhere that can be touched. The she abruptly storms off!
What the heck?
So over to the Ceasars and another lady this time a very very plump one plants herself on me. I order a beer and reach in my pocket to pay. Where's the money?
Lightbulb goes on. That street hoochie reached into my pocket and got my beer money.
Oh well, apologies to the waiter and I'm out the door and now I just want to hide in my room and wait for the sun to come up.

So here is Tijuana tip #2. Before you go to TJ you should try and know where there is a secure parking spot for your vehicle. Drive directly to that spot and park. Don't drive around or park on the street. There are too many traps to fall into. Walk or take a taxi after that.

Don't bother with the Catalina. It's way too noisey. Truck noise from the street and door slamming noises will prevent much sleep.

It's easy to get a ticket or get towed in any beach city in SoCal too. So TJ is not unique in that little scam either. But parking in a white zone will not get you towed in Newport where I live. It's about a $30 parking ticket that will be on your windshield when you come back. In fact it takes three unpaid parking tickets in Newport before they will tow you.
The only time they will tow you here is if you park on private property like someones driveway.
So yes I made a couple rookie mistakes and it cost me a few bucks. But TJ is full of little scams so I doubt if that will be the last time I get tricked. They're waiting for you! And they will probably get you.
But I will definately go back. I had a great time. I still need to find the right little hotel and my secure parking spot. You can bet I'll know exactly where to go next time I drive down there at 2:30-300am.:coolup:

[Edited on 6-25-2008 by fishbuck]

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by fishbuck]

does the Hotel Catalina offer hourly rates? :lol:

well,... hmmmm,... if you are trolling strip clubs and chatting up prostitites on ave. revolution,.... you can't really expect to be "safe."

when i visit with friends in TJ (or anywhere in Baja), strip clubs and bars with prostitutes are not part of our scene (nor are they part of our scene here in san diego).

the sleazy venues you are drawn to in TJ really are not a part of most Mexicans daily life, nor are they part of most gringo tourists must-see list.

there are many nice places in mexico, if you manage to get past ave. revolution nightclubs and strip clubs and hourly hotels.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
the lady above and I broke up 2 days ago.
:no::?::(:?:

Go to the Off-Topic section. My thread is located there...

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 09:34 AM

Fish;
Don't listen to MtGoat!!
I am enjoying your stories and am jealous. Nothing gets my blood roiling more then running away from trouble or having a sleazy senorita give a rub down.
I appreciate your honesty. A lot of guys won't admit that they like to live on the edge and that they do it occasionally.
Keep giving us nomads your uncensored stories.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.