Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Frankly, I thinks it sucks!
1. Yes, it sucks! --- 18 (48.65%)
2. No, I don't mind. --- 5 (13.51%)
3. What's a menu? --- 14 (37.84%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Frankly, I thinks it sucks!
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
I'm with Alan...I've never seen one eather...

I have seen this several times in Cabo San Lucas.

CaboRon

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
I have personally never seen two prices on a menu. I went to a place in Costa Mesa California once where the restaurant had no prices on the menu. When I got the bill I saw why! Sticker Shock!

Yes, if there are no prices listed on the menu or you see the term "market price" , do not walk ... run to the nearest exit.

CaboRon

fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Speaking Spanish makes all the difference with most of these boneheads. I do feel sorry for for all of the tourists who routinely get taken advantage of.

I am in Cabo and did not want to walk the 3 miles to downtown so while I was standing on the street corner yesterday there was a taxi (van) stopped for a light and asked him in Spanish how much to downtown. He told me 30 pesos. Of course I jumped in but if I would have asked him in English Im sure it would have been another story! And what's up with a $75.00 charge to go to the airport from downtown! It's outrageous! Im taking the buss......

I suppose, then, that Mexicans shouldn't complain when the tourist traffic drops off.

Speaking of dropping off, there is some kind of a running feud going on in Cabo between the taxi drivers and the airport transportation companies. It's been going on for months, but seems to be getting worse. It seems the tourists are trapped in the middle and are having to walk 300 meters because they are not being dropped off in the right place. Seems to be some kind of "territory" feud, as near as I can make out.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n775657.htm
palmeto99
Banned

Mood: Trying to bring the worlds people together one post at a time.

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 07:57 PM

Fulano, this has been going on for over two years and is really nice when you have clients in town and you explain to them it is going to get worked out sometime in the future. Just more Mexican culture. Enjoy it while you can before the big bad americans change this cultural original . :cool:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I was in Mulege today.

Stopped by Doney's and grabbed a menu. A waiter came and told me I had the Spanish menu and handed me the English one. I asked (in Spanish) if they were the same and he said yes. Doing a quick comparison, I saw that prices in both menus were in pesos, and were identical.

So I think the problem was solved, and justice has prevailed! Hooray!

Hallelujah! Thanks Don, I appreciate the look see.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skip_Mac
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 08:46 PM

Sharksbaja and Don Alley, Thanks for the follow up. Seems there are some self fullfilling prophecies out there.. I mean...based on the experiences posted here, the "Problem" of dual pricing seems to be wildly overblown.

Do some people just take an adversarial attitude that makes them treat everyone else as basically bad and trying to rip them off...while other people take a life view that people are basically good and will generally NOT try to F U Over?

Reading these comments for several years now, I suspect that such a divide exists amoung Baja Nomad commenters.

It's Sad. There is so much useful, helpful and positive to share. But I am sick of reading knee jerk hate speech...while MY personal experiences and those of my friends have been overwhelmingly positive... Thanks to Sheri, Sirena, Green Tortiose and many Geology Field trips... I will ignore the flame baiters unless I somehow accidentially meet them in person south of the border. I certainly would not like to know them personally (unitl after therapy).
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
And what's up with a $75.00 charge to go to the airport from downtown! It's outrageous! Im taking the buss......

Warning!! Make sure the bus actually goes to the airport!! The last time I was there I asked the tourist kiosk in downtown where to catch a bus to the airport. They said right there. I asked the busdriver if he went to the airport before I got on and he nodded his head yes.

We got to the airport TURNOFF and he opened the door.
I couldn't believe it. It was mid-August...at least 100 dergees, high humidity...

I had a large duffle & a carry-on so, with no other option, I started lugging it. Traffic zoomed past me for about 15 minutes with no one offering me a ride. Just as I was getting a bit overheated and wondering about heat stroke, a small beat-up car crammed with local laborers stopped and asked if I needed a ride... I jumped in in a heartbeat.

I'll get better information next time I take a bus to the airport.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
I'm with Alan...I've never seen one eather...

I have seen this several times in Cabo San Lucas.

CaboRon

No offence meant to anyone in CSL I just don't personally care too much for it so I have spent very little time there. It's just a personal preference. If population is any indicator I'd have to say my preference is not in the majority.

I don't mean to infer that it never happens in Mexico. I have just never personally witnessed it and I try to limit any of my comments only to MY personal experiences. Like many I could share numerous horror stories that I have been told. :lol:

I do know some restaurants do have Spanish only and English only menus. Last time I ate at the Bandido Grill in La Paz I was handed the spanish menu because I look Mexican, Armenian, Iranian, Italian opr any other dark complected nationality and have been mistaken as such all over the world. Even my wife, when she first met me she said I looked like a Greek God! (Now she says I look like a G#* D@#* Greek!) But I digress. He gave me the spanish menu and every one else in my party got the english version. As soon as I opened my mouth to order a beer (and I even said cerveza) he got a look of horror on his face when he realized his mistake. I told him no problem and kept the spanish version but the prices were identical. Drat! I thought I was finally going to experience exactly what I have heard others complain of!

In Memory of E-57
MexicoGringoGuy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 10:28 PM

I don't think ANYONE implied that this is rampant, and happens to every gringo in every resturanunt .. BUT it apperntly has happened a few times for more than one person to speak of it.. SO maybe one has been here 100 years and its never happened to them.. GOOD.. or maybe they have had their gringo blinders on for a hundred years and never noticed (which happens alot) Some of us have lived mexican lives so to speak.. and know what to look for... And some of us don't allow ourselves to be taken advantage of .. with that said, I ,nor , anyone else is saying that A gringo will be taken advantage of in Mexico if he isnt paranoid or cautious .. God knows that could, and would never happen!
palmeto99
Banned

Mood: Trying to bring the worlds people together one post at a time.

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 10:38 PM

So bringing it up for debate is a bad thing. How about some advice for people to get the Mexican price on the menu or is that not allowed because it takes away from the Mexican experience..:cool:
MexicoGringoGuy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2008 at 10:44 PM

Debate is always good... BUT debate is one thing, and Negative rebuttels just because it hasnt happend to you (or you dont THINK it has happend to you) is quite another.

:?::fire::?:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 04:42 PM

I have told this before on this board, but it seems appropriate again------------

Me and several friends were in a restaurant in El Rosario. When the bill came I suspected (I knew!!!) that I was being overcharged-------when I smilingly pointed this out, the waitor got a big smile and said, "es cheap for you, Amigo". My friends, knowing what a cheap-skate I am, about died laughing---------

What could I say----------------------:O:no:

They were right------what COULD I say????? :lol:

Go with the flow-----and I did.

(I hope that is the way I told it last time) :lol:

Barry
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2008 at 06:55 PM

Hence the "what's a menu" poll stat Barry.:coolup:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
I have personally never seen two prices on a menu. I went to a place in Costa Mesa California once where the restaurant had no prices on the menu. When I got the bill I saw why! Sticker Shock!

The only time I eat at a place with no prices on the menu is when someone else is paying.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by palmeto99
So bringing it up for debate is a bad thing. How about some advice for people to get the Mexican price on the menu or is that not allowed because it takes away from the Mexican experience..:cool:

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:36 AM
Taxi Cartel

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
And what's up with a $75.00 charge to go to the airport from downtown! It's outrageous! Im taking the buss......

Warning!! Make sure the bus actually goes to the airport!! The last time I was there I asked the tourist kiosk in downtown where to catch a bus to the airport. They said right there. I asked the busdriver if he went to the airport before I got on and he nodded his head yes.

We got to the airport TURNOFF and he opened the door.
I couldn't believe it. It was mid-August...at least 100 dergees, high humidity...

I had a large duffle & a carry-on so, with no other option, I started lugging it. Traffic zoomed past me for about 15 minutes with no one offering me a ride. Just as I was getting a bit overheated and wondering about heat stroke, a small beat-up car crammed with local laborers stopped and asked if I needed a ride... I jumped in in a heartbeat.

I'll get better information next time I take a bus to the airport.

That's because the GD taxi cartel in Cabo San Lucas is out of control .... they are no longer alowing shuttles to drop off at the airport .... enjoy the quarter mile walk, with your luggage , in the one hundred degree heat .. the taxi drivers are bottom feeder scum bags who recently charged me one hundred pesos to go two blocks.

And a majority owner just happens to be the mayor and his family.

Kind of like Rosarito Beach in that respect.

Once again the pinch is on and several travel agencies have decided to stop putting packages together for CSL .

I invite you to read the current issue of the Gringo Gazette wherin you will find several articles about the latest antics of the taxi cartel..... and how they somehow bought off the Supreme Court in Mexico City ... this government is rotten to the core.

CaboRon

[Edited on 7-19-2008 by CaboRon]

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:37 AM

I don't know about prices in a menu...but I do know that some restraunts and hardware stores that I've been shopping in for ten years give me a special break on prices every now and then...Is this the Mexician prices you guys are so worried about?..,

[Edited on 7-19-2008 by rpleger]

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2008 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by palmeto99
How about some advice for people to get the Mexican price on the menu...

1) Speak the language and use the currency of the land.

2) Expect fair treatment.

3) Resist-- calmly and politely-- in the rare cases where you might experience the contrary.

--Larry

Excellent Advice

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.