Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: VIZCAINO TO BAHIA TORTUGA
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 06:52 PM

Dude, I just can't let this slide...Your saying your season snow total is 21 feet??? I live in Big Bear and I call B.S. ( but I do it with a smile, as opposed to some others on this board)

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
openeyes
Banned

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Dude, I just can't let this slide...Your saying your season snow total is 21 feet??? I live in Big Bear and I call B.S. ( but I do it with a smile, as opposed to some others on this board)

Terry,

Did you ever get out of that place in the bay. How is your beautiful wife and daughter doing these days.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 06:59 PM

Openeyes,

No, we still have the place at Buenaventura, and the family is well...now the big ??? is ' who are you?" We will be there in Oct. You?

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
openeyes
Banned

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Openeyes,

No, we still have the place at Buenaventura, and the family is well...now the big ??? is ' who are you?" We will be there in Oct. You?

Met you in the bar there couple of years back. My wife and 10 year son were with me. Names Bob and I live in Point Loma.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Terry, I drive to Big Bear every Thursday to both Bear & Summit ( I sell stuff to the lifts) and we are always comparing notes on snow, and on the average Running Springs gets somewhat more snow than Big Bear. Just add it up: 20 storms of 6-12" and throw in a few two footers, and it's not hard to come up with 20' at season's end. BUT...21' is the average, some years we get 12', as was this past season. I did not make that stuff up. Our Running Springs water department is the one who posts the snow statistics. And you guessed it...I sell stuff to them also

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 08:42 PM

Parrot at bar in San Buenaventura

Motel San Buenaventura

Motel @ San Buenaventura

Motel @ San Buenaventura
with beach view and RV park

Enjoy! Terry

[Edited on 8-5-2008 by BajaNomad]

Udo

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-4-2008 at 10:12 PM

Hey udo, great pics of Buenaventura. This was the first place we camped in Baja, before the hotel was built and the bar only had the pool table. The part where the tables are now was outside. It was impressive watching the workers build the hotel. All the concrete was mixed in gas powered mixers and the rocks were carried over from across the road one pick-up load at a time. We stayed there a couple of times back in the old days but prefer camping. I probably have some good pictures from Buenaventura and Punta Conception from our trip last month but will have to wait for Jill to return from San Diego to download them from the camera. Until then, here's one of the bird.....Jill makes friends everywhere she goes...

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 08:15 AM

Looks like the same exact bird.
I own an African Grey and I also make friends with any and all parrots.
Also looks like we hit the same spots when traveling in Baja, DT.
The bar at Buenaventura was a nice rest area. The Hotel was equally nice, but the trucks on the highway were somewhat noisy when they used their jakes down one hill and accelerated up the other hill. Absolutely gorgeous beach to camp and Kayak from.

Udo

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 11:28 AM

We also drive an FJ cruiser to Baja when we don't take the truck or plane.....
The last time we were there I dug up a large bowl full of clams with my toes and Jill made spagetti with clam sauce....dt

[Edited on 8-5-2008 by dtbushpilot]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 11:35 AM

dtbushpilot and udowinkler, Thanks for sharing the pictures.:yes: About the bird.:tumble: Had a c-ckateil once, a coon ate it.:(
Terry28
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 01:22 PM

Udo,
Nice pictures...the parrots name is "George" and he does bite...as for the 21 feet, all I can say is I think you have found a profession that does not involve drug testing!!! and my question is, " When do I start?" I own the funkiest house there on the front row...the only one with a palapa roof..we really like it there.....

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 02:05 PM

Then you must know Stan. Our first trip to Baja was about 15years ago (+-). We were towing a pop up camper behind our "79 Jeep. We camped on the beach, I knew it would be hot but didn't realize just how uncomfortable it would be without AC. Stan ran an extention cord out to the camper so that we could run a box fan....what a guy. As I recall thre were only 3 houses on the beach at that time. We stop there whenever we pass, weather camping or just to have a beer with Marco and Olivia....

Yes, the bird does bite but he doesn't bite Jill. She reaches for him unafraid and with confidence and he steps right up on her finger....I, on the other hand get the s&%@ bit out of me when I try it......they can smell fear.....dt
Terry28
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 05:30 PM

Stanley Valentine, about 6'8 and very tan...yeah, he is our next door neighbor, and I agree a very nice man. Stanford all- american I think. He helped develope that place with Mike George.( Oliva's prior husband) Hence the name of the parrot. A pretty special place. Ever meet David Chaney?? T28

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 07:11 AM

Not sure if I know David Chaney or not. We know a lot of folks by sight but not name. I knew Mike pretty well, nice guy, quite a salesman. Went fishing, snorkeling and flying with him from time to time.....dt
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Then you must know Stan. Our first trip to Baja was about 15years ago (+-). We were towing a pop up camper behind our "79 Jeep. We camped on the beach, I knew it would be hot but didn't realize just how uncomfortable it would be without AC. Stan ran an extention cord out to the camper so that we could run a box fan....what a guy. As I recall thre were only 3 houses on the beach at that time. We stop there whenever we pass, weather camping or just to have a beer with Marco and Olivia....

Yes, the bird does bite but he doesn't bite Jill. She reaches for him unafraid and with confidence and he steps right up on her finger....I, on the other hand get the s&%@ bit out of me when I try it......they can smell fear.....dt

Quote:
I think parrots may know who is and is not a bird person. I was told that George doesn't like males. But I keld him and played with him for 1/2 hour while waiting and drinking a margarita. Other baja racers have also told me of George's drawing blood. I think it's how you talk to the bird prior to offering a hand to pick him up. Additionally, many birds like to be picked up by one hand or the other. And if you offer up the wrong hand, you get nipped. If the bird at your offering a right hand, try the left.

Udo

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 08:29 AM

Nice adventure Udo;
But...you should have stayed in Monterey Park!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Quote:

Quote:
I think parrots may know who is and is not a bird person. I was told that George doesn't like males. But I keld him and played with him for 1/2 hour while waiting and drinking a margarita. Other baja racers have also told me of George's drawing blood. I think it's how you talk to the bird prior to offering a hand to pick him up. Additionally, many birds like to be picked up by one hand or the other. And if you offer up the wrong hand, you get nipped. If the bird at your offering a right hand, try the left.

I have a feeling that I would have two bleeding hands instead of one....
You mentioned "other" Baja racers....are you a Baja racer too?...dt
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 08:32 PM

How many miles is it bahia tortuga from bahia de los angeles?

Just curios might want to go if its scortion hot in BOLA my wife and two girls

might want some cooler weather so Im thinking of going to the pacific side

for a few days mmmmmm?

READY SET.....................
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
How many miles is it bahia tortuga from bahia de los angeles?

Just curios might want to go if its scortion hot in BOLA my wife and two girls

might want some cooler weather so Im thinking of going to the pacific side

for a few days mmmmmm?

Please don't take this as abosolute, but more as approximate---we are not the types who keep exact miles, etc.

Bahia de Los Angeles to Guerrero Negro---the state line, according to one map is 124 miles.

It is about 45 miles to Vizcaino from Guerrero Nego,and then it is about 100 miles to Tortuga---not a fast 100 miles.

Now, if you want another cool get away and decide to try Bahia Asuncion, it usually takes us about 1 1/2 +/- hours from Vizcaino to Bahia Asuncion---it all depends.

Not really that far and it is a lot cooler!

Diane

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2008 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Quote:

Quote:
I think parrots may know who is and is not a bird
person. I was told that George doesn't like males. But I keld him and played with him for 1/2 hour while waiting and drinking a margarita. Other baja racers have also told me of George's drawing blood. I think it's how you talk to the bird prior to offering a hand to pick him up. Additionally, many birds like to be picked up by one hand or the other. And if you offer up the wrong hand, you get nipped. If the bird at your offering a right hand, try the left.

I have a feeling that I would have two bleeding hands instead of one....
You mentioned "other" Baja racers....are you a Baja racer too?...dt

Quote:
I Used to be a Baja racer many moons ago, but now I have many friends who do the racing, plus I supply hardware for car building to some of them. Rod Hall, in Reno is among my friends.

Udo

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.