BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: How Did You Find Out About Baja Nomad?
Search Engine --- 18 (27.27%)
Link On Another Website --- 3 (4.55%)
Link On Another Forum --- 14 (21.21%)
Other --- 31 (46.97%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: How Did You Find Out About Baja Nomad?
livencabo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 12:09 PM

Someone on Lonely Planet Mexico branch mentioned it in a post.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 12:10 PM

Google - pretty sure I found the Nomad link from another site though.
Brianinloreto

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 12:20 PM

Through a yahoo rearch when i needed up to date info on road conditions.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 01:44 PM

Same as others, from the Amigos days.

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 01:56 PM

I, too, drifted in with the tide in the aftermath of Amigos board.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
idleguy

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 02:41 PM

From a conversation with Iflyfish whom I met at the Aquamarine RV Park in La Paz. We both had identical mh's.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 03:38 PM

Ditto above, from the Amigos de Baja board.

[Edited on 8-26-2008 by Phil C]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 03:51 PM

I too came over from the Amigos de Baja board. ++Ken++
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 04:02 PM

Shari told me about it....thanks Shari....dt
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 04:18 PM

From Amigos via a circuitous route involving the Baja.net/Los Hermanos Locos schism.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 05:18 PM

ditto on Dr.Drip...gracias amigo...we have made an amazing amount of lifelong amigos through this board and learned an awful lot....kicked lots of habits but still a nomad junkie.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 07:35 PM

For me it was after my firts trip to Bahia Concepcion,when I came back I was looking like crazzy any related to Baja, and end up here,register right away, I forgot what my firts question was, but surely enough David Kier came to the rescue,the rest is history.

So Thank You DK for all your help..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 08:35 PM

Ditto Diver:spingrin:

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

wink.gif posted on 8-27-2008 at 08:39 AM
In the beginning...

... there was Amigos de Baja (bajanet.com, not the site that uses that name today)...

Actually, it was Fred Mertcalf's board, but that site was only about Baja travel updates from the past 30 days. Personal stories, fishing reports, etc. really needed a forum, so Earle, Eric and Trish provided Amigos de Baja... and many of us started friendships there. I started posting about 1998. Because of my drip irrigation business/ experience, I was sometimes called Dr. Drip (was one of my email addresses, too).

Doug had a forum on his old Escapist.com site, but it was not too active, like most of the other Baja forums today...

In 2000, many of us active on the Baja Internet met and in October of that year was my first Viva Baja party... which Doug attended. See him here with Amo Pescar and Kacey Smith (Baja GPS Guide author).

In the background is Jack Swords, The Humfrevilles, M, Graham Mackintosh, Trish and Eric of Amigos de Baja, and I am in the blue Hawaiian shirt... all the photos at http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja (Fred Metcalf, Amigos de Baja host Earle R., Carlos Fiesta, Juan del Rio, jeans, Taco Felix/ Jay, David Eidell, Paulina, and more were all there).

In 2002, Doug created his NEW Baja Nomad forums and some of the Amigos did post there as well... I joined right after Doug made it, as we communicated often since meeting at Viva Baja #1.

In mid 2003, with no warning, Amigos de Baja went off the air... perhaps a technical glitch, but the hosts (Earle and Eric) were spending much more time then they wanted to managing the ever growing masses of Baja enthusiasts, and so never re-activated the site.

Realizing the importance of having a open Baja discussion forum was, I called up Doug and asked him if he would welcome the Amigos (who have not yet joined Nomad) to his one year old Baja Nomad Forums... the answer was yes, so I emailed all the Amigos I had contacts with as well as posted notes on other forums to re-group at Baja Nomad.

I continue to promote Doug's site as an awesome source of Baja information and current news/ conditions. When I see something that obviously will be well recieved by most of us, like Shari's Bahia Asuncion photos... I do all I can to let you all know about it... El gusto es mio!

The rest is history...
====================================================

Here's Doug in early 2002 at Viva Baja #3 with the caption below the photo as it appears to this day at http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja3 (on page 13)

Doug Means, the Baja Nomad. Doug offers a great Baja info web site and a free travel club http://www.bajanomad.com/

[Edited on 8-27-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 08:50 AM

Well said David. That's when I came over ... in August 2003. And, like you said, the rest is history.
Bob H
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 10:42 AM

Surfin the net, just looking for Baja web sites.:?:
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 11:55 AM

Was surfing net spring of '06 for first-ever trip to Mexico in Sept '06. Met BajaGuy on Amigos Board. Drove from Denver to La Paz and back with lots of fun and real estate exploration. Purchased my lot 9/22/2006.

tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 06:04 PM
How?????

From our Moon travel handbook "Baja". There is a section in the back of the book called " Internet Resources"

Baja Nomad
"Still the best all around Baja site for hard information that doesn't appear to have been payed for, with more nitty gritty information than any rival. Great links page, copious information on hotels and restaurants, plus continually updated Baja news and essays."

That's how I got here. Saludos, Tortuga :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-28-2008 by tortuga]

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 09:05 PM

Great thread. Been here a long time. Member #11. registered the same day as David k but he beat me by a few hours da bum.

Came over from Amigos because the politics there were just getting to nasty...think off topic on the main board.

never regretted it. Doug is top notch in my book. I even had a few hosting accounts with Doug for many years. I only changed recently because this fancy schmancy web designer i had been trying to get for a few years finally made me a great deal. it included hosting so i went with it. I have some regrets about that. I'm gonna come back to hosting with him when my contracts run out.

Great board great people....for the most part

cabobaja...how did you hear about this place from me?

BTW looks like I might be back down for 2-3 weeks real soon...can't wait

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 09:49 PM
From Amigo board

with the direction of the much maligned David K who ushered many of us into my friend Doug's sight.

Sad just lately but things always look up and this site is far too precious to abandoned.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.