Author: Subject: streets seem empty in TJ
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by movinguy
Quote:
TJ/Rosarito Beach/Baja happen to be our closest reference points- but the lack of tourists problem is eveywhere.

[Edited on 1-16-2009 by Woooosh]

Yeah, if 14 pesos to the dollar doesn't bring 'em, not sure what will :?:

That's an intersting point. Why aren't Americasn flocking to the TJ or Ensenada CostCo's? Maybe they are. I did a price check a few weeks back for an item at the TJ CostCo near the border and it was fairly busy- not Chula Vista busy though.

BTW- The price was about 10% higher and the sales tax is near 10% in TJ I think. But they do take Visa/Mastercard- the USA ones only take AMX and debit cards.

It is worth looking into if you are paying at CostCo in pesos. Nothing is ever apples-to-apples down here though and it's hard to compare prices. The meat selection is nothing like north of the border.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I think you may be underestimating Sr. Slim. He's behind a number of charitable foundations both in Mexico and Latin America. The Telmex foundation alone has granted tens of thousands of scholarships. I think it's just hard to be so rich and therefore so envied. No one expects either Slim or Bill Gates to make vows of poverty.

Gates gives 85% away and has vowed to leave less than 5% to his children. Those billions that remain are enough to ensure they don't live in poverty.

Interesting charitable comparison. The Gates Foundation has wiped smallpox off the face of the globe. It's doing so many good things worldwide that Warren Buffet turned his whole foundation over to Gates to give away too. It;s what Gates does full time now. When Slim joins them for lunch and writes a check... well, when Mr Slim himself says he doesn't give away his money- I tend to believe him. The best thing TelMex could do is lower its ridiculous phone rates so poor people could afford a phone- not give a small percentage of their fleecing of the people away.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 05:25 PM

Not saying Slim is Gates. But, just wanted to be fair. And who knows? Maybe he'll have an epiphany some day. I really think there's something to be said for the vast inflation that has hit world currencies in the past 30 years. Combine it with the concentration of the wealth, and you've got people who have more money than they know what to do with it. Mexico has long suffered with the concentration of wealth with the few. And sadly, we're going their way. The richest 300,000 Americans have a combined wealth equal to the bottom 150,000,000.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 05:37 PM

I don't think anybody can call it Tijuana bashing. The reality is what it is and TJ has taken more than its share of hard hits in the area of tourism. I really take my hat off to the hard working/dedicated souls still keeping their doors open. In the face of such dwindling numbers of visitors it has to be very hard...

:(:(:(

[Edited on 1-17-2009 by BajaGringo]

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 05:45 PM

Love Tijuana. Now if they just stop the epidemic of headless bodies. Seriously, it is my understanding that such violence is more or less confined to the Eastern part of the city. It's like people not going to Hollywood because there are drive-bys in South Central. Hollywood seems pretty busy.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
for anyone who feels this is TJ bashing...

I would never ever think that of you, honest!:rolleyes:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
for anyone who feels this is TJ bashing...

I would never ever think that of you, honest!:rolleyes: [/quote

:lol::lol::lol:

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 07:08 PM

Don't make me stop this car!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 09:22 AM

BajaGringo: That statement brought back so many childhood memories of my dad looking in the rear-view mirror at my brother and me in the back seat!!! LOL!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 09:41 AM

You and me both...

;D;D;D

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.