Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Retiring Responsibly Abroad-Survey
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 09:33 AM

You need to do the survey even if you don't submit it at the end. I am still laughing about some of the questions. Did you buy your present house because of the "Green Building"and environmentally chosen materials? Did you move to Mexico so that you could surround yourself with otherobnoxious Norteamericanos in gated communities? Did you move to Mexico so that you could avail yourself of the cultural activities and events?
Did you buy because of suitability to "Climate Change'?

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Did you buy because of suitability to "Climate Change'?

OIbivously this group is supporting Al Gore:?:

Bob Durrell
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 10:29 AM

I took it and now understand where the "responsibly" comes in. These folks are fund raisers for charities. Seems almost like a levy on what I guess they would consider "irresponsible" retirement.

Being charitable in Mexico is easy. How many pieces of Chicklets have I bought? A ton. I'm a 10 peso soft touch for little old ladies, folks missing limbs and street musicians, and like to make sure 100% of my donation is going to the person that needs it.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
I took it and now understand where the "responsibly" comes in. These folks are fund raisers for charities. Seems almost like a levy on what I guess they would consider "irresponsible" retirement.

Being charitable in Mexico is easy. How many pieces of Chicklets have I bought? A ton. I'm a 10 peso soft touch for little old ladies, folks missing limbs and street musicians, and like to make sure 100% of my donation is going to the person that needs it.

I find it sad and embarrassing that we Northerners so distrust the Mexican government and Mexican charities. True, corruption is huge-- as it is in the US government-- it just happens differently, and maybe more openly here. As for American charities, the national disease oriented foundations spend the bulk of your money on administration and salaries for solicitors. A fragment goes for research. And for your local small town police and firefighters-- when they call and ask "neighbors and citizens" to give to local causes, those calls often come from out of state, and that's where your money goes.

As for the people on the street in Mexico, they may or may not get to keep your money. A Mexican guide at Monte Alban in Oaxaca set me straight on this. There are brokers for the beggars. They are driven to their post, left for the day, and picked up at night. The money is taken by the broker, and the worker is given a meal and a piece of ground to sleep on. Women with children and very old people are most sought after for these positons. This is probably not the case in the smaller towns of Baja, but it is probably true for those unfortunate foks in Tijuana and Ensenada. Knowing this, I still give to street folk at times. The guide suggested that it may be better to buy them a sandwich, or give them your sweater.

So don't stop giving, but do your homework, and give in a way that your donation works for the recipients. Help your neighbors, give to the Cruz Roja, DIF, etc. There are good outfits.

Now I have to go take the survey:D
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 11:32 AM

Well said, Paula.

One thing....if I EVER get a solicitation from anybody as a result of this poll, I'll let it be known here. I would hope others will do the same.
I did the poll only because so little information is asked of us here and I'm hoping it will lead to some useful statistics, such as, How many expats reside in Baja and things like that.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 11:36 AM

If anyone checked their website and the bios of the people in charge, you'd have seen a fairly lofty group. The CEO is a graduate of the Kennedy School at Harvard, just as is Felipe Calderon. Another guy is a partner is Luce, Forward, a highly respected San Diego law firm. Etc. Etc.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
If anyone checked their website and the bios of the people in charge, you'd have seen a fairly lofty group.

I should do that in cases such as this. Actually, I kind of let Doug do the approval work for me. I trust his judgement.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 12:00 PM

Have you checked Doug's curriculum vitae?:?:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Have you checked Doug's curriculum vitae?:?:

I'm not a doctor, not today anyway, and I don't like wearing rubber gloves.

[Edited on 9-12-2009 by DENNIS]
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 07:18 PM

all you have to do is fill something in the spaces in the name and address form, then click.
what I wonder about is the final page, 'create your own survey'...hum

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
If anyone checked their website and the bios of the people in charge, you'd have seen a fairly lofty group. The CEO is a graduate of the Kennedy School at Harvard, just as is Felipe Calderon. Another guy is a partner is Luce, Forward, a highly respected San Diego law firm. Etc. Etc.

So what, they still are looking at the world through their own rose colored or whatever colored glasses. I did not have to read too far in the questionaire to realize that they had a particular bend as I am sure that any perceptive person could do. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it might be an add for AFLAC.

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
all you have to do is fill something in the spaces in the name and address form, then click.

All i ever got when clicking on the link was the Thank You for taking the survey page .... never found the survey.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
So what, they still are looking at the world through their own rose colored or whatever colored glasses.

Maybe green.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit

All i ever got when clicking on the link was the Thank You for taking the survey page .... never found the survey.

hum...I tried it again, too, and that's what I got...just the "thank you, create a survey page." I found the questions on the survery strangle slanted, suspiciously so, and figured that anyone who gave a name, address, etc was going to be hit up with all sorts of requests from Mexican charities, or worse. that's why I signed A Nan a Mous with 000 000 0000 phone number and similar answers for all the personal data questions.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 12:18 PM

Two observations: First, the reason for the create a survey is because the actual survey is handled by a separate contractor. Second, giving this organization the benefit of the doubt, they may be seeking that contact information for actual follow up in greater detail. Not to mention, if they hope to use the results in some fashion, they need to have a certain amount of verification to show its veracity, as opposed to making up info.
amcenany

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 06:30 AM

Hi all,

I really appreciate your interest in 'Retiring Responsibly Abroad" and the International Community Foundation. I wanted to just quickly respond to a few posts:

1) we don't send out direct mail solicitations by mail. We do send out a quarterly newsletter by email and updates about grants that we are making or special appeals, such as hurricane relief, but if you don't want to receive those either, you can just write us back and let us know that.

2) "Retiring Responsibly Abroad" only means that we are seeking information about what kinds of choices consumers are making when they choose a retirement or vacation home in Mexico, i.e. following national environmental laws, getting engaged in their adopted communities, living more simply, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with adding responsibilities to your life or asking you to do anything differently from what you're already doing.

Please feel free to write to me directly at anne@icfdn.org if you have other questions about this initiative or what ICF does in general.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amcenanyWe do send out a quarterly newsletter by email and updates about grants that we are making or special appeals,

Anne, I disagree with this strategy. There should be a box at the end of the survey for the respondent to check if they want to receive a newsletter and updates and special appeals. It is my opinion you would get better results.

I get too much email the way it is.

Suerte
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by amcenanyWe do send out a quarterly newsletter by email and updates about grants that we are making or special appeals,

Anne, I disagree with this strategy. There should be a box at the end of the survey for the respondent to check if they want to receive a newsletter and updates and special appeals. It is my opinion you would get better results.

I get too much email the way it is.

Suerte

oxxo,
do like most people: keep 2 email addresses. 1 for personal correspondence, and second for online registrations, purchases, etc. (junk email address is for things that you never or rarely want to read) if you use a junk email addresses, you will rarely see the junk email as you will rarely open that mailbox.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amcenany
Please feel free to write to me directly at anne@icfdn.org if you have other questions about this initiative or what ICF does in general.

Thanks for the invite, Anne. I'm sure some will be in touch.
In the meantime, since you brought it all here, we as a community much prefer to jump to conclusions, gurgitate and regurgitate the essence of your efforts, make unwarrented comparisons and submit you to downright slander, agree, disagree, throw feces at you and each other, all in the name of developing an objective opinion.
Don't take anything personally....it's just our hobby and we like it that way.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.