Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Not Being On Time Is High Art In Mexico
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:33 PM
from www.cancunsource.com

“MEXICAN TIME”: Cancun is no stranger to ‘Mexican Time’, even though it is a city which caters to tourists who are more or less used to the idea of being on time for any appointment or meeting. This is referred to as “Mexican Time”. “Five Mexican minutes” means up to 10 or 15 minutes. The Mexican culture is not nearly as obsessed with promptness as the rest of North America or the rest of the planet, for that matter. This is a laid-back culture, where the word “mañana” (which literally means ‘tomorrow’) actually means “some day other than today”.

Your best advice is to NOT FIGHT IT. You are in Mexico now, and Mexican Time applies to you no matter where you come from. Whereas being 15 minutes late for an appointment in the rest of North America would be considered rude, in Cancun, and the rest of Mexico being as late as half-an-hour or more is just considered ‘the way it is’. “Go with the flow” is the way to regulate your vacation clock.

This can be wildly annoying to people who move here and expect things to work the same way as they are familiar with back home. Remember that Dorothy duly noted “We’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto”. Mexico is not Kansas, nor anyplace else for that matter, Toto, except Mexico. Relax and adapt, or forever be resigned to an aggravation you can not change.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:34 PM

David,

It is easy to sing the praises of a place you have NEVER lived in.

The frustrations can be overwhelming when you are trying to take care of daily needs.

Just visiting is far different than actually living there year 'round.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:37 PM

Yes Ron, but 'Mexican Time' applies to everyone: tourists, residents, Mexican and Americans... everyone.

You shouldn't have felt singled out by it... as the above two stories I posted are just a tiny sample from the Internet.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:41 PM

I once again reference the Mediterranean Europe for the key to this phenomenon. That's that's the same area of the world that is lauded for its healthy diet, resulting in longevity. Perhaps, there is a connection.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:47 PM

Another thing about Europe... there is a holiday every week (it would seem)... ... Of course that would be a 'fun' life to always be on a vacation!

Soon the few people who are productive will get tired of supporting those who are not... See 'Animal Farm'.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Soon the few people who are productive will get tired of supporting those who are not... See 'Animal Farm'.

OOOOOH David....You be in trouble now. :lol:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 05:24 PM

Oops. I'm not gonna go there. Except that maybe DK has never been to Europe. They've got their own problems. But, at least they don't have to feel like they have to be the police of the world. If we took anywhere near the amount of money we spend maintaining our troops all around the world, and folded it into domestic programs, we would be a whole lot better off. We have troops in dozens of countries. Germany is just one. Thousands of troups in Germany. Why? Are we expecting the resurgence of the N-zis? The founding fathers were seeking to create a country that was insulated from the tyranny of a monarchy. Obviously, we are not quite a monarchy today, but, I invite anyone out there to name a country that today is involved in the politics and culture of so many other countries. I only ask, WHY? We are not protecting what we call freedom, by having thousands of our troops on foreign soil. What we are doing is enriching the folks who build weapons, and provide contractor services. But then, in today's world, money talks.

Oops, I went there.:barf:
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 05:45 PM

Doug said "don't feed the trolls" -- before I answer Arrowhead's post above I thought I would just check. Is this one of those times that my argument against him and his position will be countered no matter what, no matter who's position is correct? Is this the troll we were waiting for in other arenas? Normally I wouldn't care but I don't write nice little cultural curiosity pieces about Mexico and Mexicans to have some twit try to trash the people and the culture in the same post. Mexico is what it is. And Arrowhead, you are what you are.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 07:21 PM

Another unattractive trait (to my way of thinking) of the Mexican people is an aversion to say - I don't know.

Mexicans prefer leading you astray rather than emit these 3 simple words. I would attribute it to machismo except that Mexican women have the same difficulty.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Doug said "don't feed the trolls" -- before I answer Arrowhead's post above I thought I would just check. Is this one of those times that my argument against him and his position will be countered no matter what, no matter who's position is correct? Is this the troll we were waiting for in other arenas? Normally I wouldn't care but I don't write nice little cultural curiosity pieces about Mexico and Mexicans to have some twit try to trash the people and the culture in the same post. Mexico is what it is. And Arrowhead, you are what you are.

I think this is the same troll. He just like to be heard, and not to learn from what he reads.

Your "nice little cultural curiosity" piece is not diminished in the least by his negative, insensitive words. It is a gem lying in the gravel of Nomad meanderings. And I would add to your thoughts one of mine about the Mexican language.

I find that the more I speak, the more I need to learn. The more I come to understand how things work down here, the more I realize how untranslatable one language is to another. Context, nuance, concept, belief systems, history-- they all alter our comprehension so incomprehensably. But it is all a lovely pastime, and the folks here are ever so tolerant of our obtuseness, as long as our spirit is good.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Another unattractive trait (to my way of thinking) of the Mexican people is an aversion to say - I don't know.

Mexicans prefer leading you astray rather than emit these 3 simple words. I would attribute it to machismo except that Mexican women have the same difficulty.

Interesting. I attribute this to an almost pathological desire not to disappoint you, and I find it rather charming.

[Edited on 9-14-2009 by Paula]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Oops. I'm not gonna go there. Except that maybe DK has never been to Europe...

Yes, I have... but only to 'a couple' of countries (Greece, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Germany, Luxemburg, France, United Kingdom)... so what do I know? :lol:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Interesting. I attribute this to an almost pathological desire not to disappoint you, and I find it rather charming.

[Edited on 9-14-2009 by Paula]

I would agree with you Paula except that being led on with made up facts becomes pretty disappointing in the end. There is, however, the momentary sense of relief when you think you have the facts.

No, I thought it's an attempt to not appear weak. "I don't know" - although honest - may appear weak.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey

Let me translate that for Osprey. What he really said was: "Gee, I really don't have a rebuttal argument that carries any weight. So, I'll sidestep getting nailed by my vacuous argument and just be a troglodyte and call that Arrowhead fellow a few names. I'm sure one of my message board sycophants will chime in to support me. After all, if you are not FOR Mexico, then you must be AGAINST Mexico. Subtleties and nuances are for elitists. I'll countenance none of that. It's all either black or white for me. That way I don't have to think too hard."

No soy por ni contra apatía.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
We have troops in dozens of countries. Germany is just one. Thousands of troups in Germany. Why? Are we expecting the resurgence of the N-zis?

Maybe you should Google "NATO" and read up on its purpose and why we have troops stationed there. Hint: It is not about N-zi's.

Quote:
I invite anyone out there to name a country that today is involved in the politics and culture of so many other countries.

(1)Russia. It has its fingers in a dozen countries that were former parts of the Soviet Union. Ask any Georgian.

(2)China. Ask any Tibetan. And China is the only country that is propping up North Korea. North Korea would have collapsed a long time ago without Chinese aid.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred
Who carries a watch in Mexico anyway............

Wrist watches in Baja are only good for showing off tan lines back stateside.

It's usually the first piece of "clothing" I take off once we cross the border.

Back to the manana issue, after waiting for three days for a water delivery that was promised yesterday, that finally pulls up on the fourth day as your panga is heading out to sea can be quite frustrating.

I always think that if I lived in Baja full time I would have all the mananas in the world to wait for. If I'm on borrowed time, it's a tough pill to swallow.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 10:20 PM

This thread brings back some fond memories and perhaps a little insight into the "I don't know" issue. We would often hop on a bus having no real idea where it was going and head off into the unknown. When we saw something interesting, we would get off and wander through the streets stopping for an occasional cerveza enjoyed on the curb, often with the proprietor of the store and just take in the local atmosphere. Across the street a woman would come with a bucket of water and wash the dishes, then the child under great protest which we all found very funny. When the baby was clean, she would get some clothing and wash until the water and soap was done. Dump the remaining water in the street. By then our cervezas were done as well. We'd wander off. At some point we need to find the bus back to town. I'd ask and everyone had an opinion. They were trying to be helpful, not understanding my poor spanish and rather than telling me my spanish sucks, they would give directions; trying to be helpful to these lost gringos. "I don't know" or understand wouldn't be of much help in their thinking. But maybe if we send them off to somewhere, somebody there might know what we were asking. I always thought that was their philosophy. Eventually we would find someone that understood and knew where we could get the bus; often taking us to the proper location. It's all part of mexico and the charm of the loving folks there. Slow down and absorb the lifestyle. There's generally no need to hurry and criticize those that are trying to be helpful..

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It is good when one has the time to just wander.

Or wonder. As in why would anyone go to Mexico and expect the country to bend to the timeclock that controls their life.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 11:00 PM

LOL jdtrotter! I remember one time riding a bus out of Puerto Vallarta and ended up in the middle of nowhere (I guess) and my wife and I are the only ones left on the bus. he parked and shut off the bus, got off and lit up a smoke. We finally decided he was waiting for us to get off. So we did. He got back in and started it up, we gave him a few more pesos and headed back the way we came! That was nothing but pure fun! Whoda thunk it?

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 04:18 PM

Arrowhead- Please identify a country in the world that has a defense budget appraoching that of ours and has anywhere near the numbers of troops abroad. We could solve many of our domestic problems just by reallocating our priorities, and still have ample defense and security. Sorry for the sorta hijack.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.