BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: paying taxes at border ????
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 07:58 AM

Unless you want redwood or 2x2s or 2x3s. I can't find that stuff here.

I buy small amounts of home depot 8 footers in Chula Vista. Never declared them and always get a green light, so I don't know what the customs guys would say.

Mexican plywood can be real funky stuff too. Lots of inner voids and it delaminates. I'd love to find a good lumber yard between TJ and Ensenada.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Unless you want redwood or 2x2s or 2x3s. I can't find that stuff here.

Yeah...Redwood is out of the question. If those 2X2s and 2X3s that you want are Doug fir, Home Depot has them.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 08:03 AM

Ensenada? I haven't seen them in Rosarito.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 08:05 AM

Ensenada, yes.

Have you ever been to that kickass redwood store, JR Redwood I think it's called, on Main in Chulajuana? Bring lots of fun tickets. The stuff is really costly.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 08:10 AM

J&R Redwood has several stores in the San Diego area. It's Disneyland, maybe Adelitas for me. Beautiful stuff in all shapes and sizes.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 08:17 AM

Any place in Baja carrying composites such as TREX????

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Any place in Baja carrying composites such as TREX????

Haven't seen it but, maybe Tijuana. That's pretty space-age for Baja yet.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 03:30 PM
more on wood

So you're saying that a couple pieces of panelling and a wooden platform we use in our van will not throw up a red flag?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
There is a time limit after receiving a FM3 in which to bring your stuff duty free. Don't know what it is but I'm sure it's less than a year. Check with customs to get the straight scoop.

The time limit is 60 days from the issue of the FM3 ...

The Manaje de Casa can be issued only once, however if you do not do it the first year of issue, you can do it within 60 days of any renewal .... again only once in your llifetime.

You get it at a stateside consuler office and the cost is around $139- US.

There is considerable paperwork involved, along with the application you provide an itemized list of boxes (numbered) and their contents along with all serial numbers of each item.
This is very necessary for electrical items and appliances.

There are several good guides for the preparation of this document.

Most people have it done by a brocker/shipper in San Diego.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2009 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
So you're saying that a couple pieces of panelling and a wooden platform we use in our van will not throw up a red flag?

Shouldn't be a problem....tell them it is for use in your van.....Good luck!!!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2009 at 08:39 AM

Has anyone gone through San Ysidro crossing and were then redirected to Otay while importing stuff recently?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2009 at 07:56 AM

Heading down in a few days....any new experiences???
bajabob13
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2009 at 02:52 PM
border crossing

We crossed the border at TJ on 9/14 We had 5 sheets plywood, 8 2x4 8 1x4. We also had a brand new RV type stove, a new fan in the box. They were only concerned with the wood. They saw the toilet in the back of the van, they were going to send us back to the USA until we showed that it was built in. They charged $25 duty on the wood, after making sure it was not used lumber.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2009 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabob13
We crossed the border at TJ on 9/14 We had 5 sheets plywood, 8 2x4 8 1x4. We also had a brand new RV type stove, a new fan in the box. They were only concerned with the wood. They saw the toilet in the back of the van, they were going to send us back to the USA until we showed that it was built in. They charged $25 duty on the wood, after making sure it was not used lumber.

Thanks for the info Bajabob!!! Still debating whether to go San Ysidro or Otay. I would rather go San Ysidro.....
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fuelpusher2  
try this website:

http://www.aduana.sat.gob.mx

It will give you the up to date customs taxes (15% on the value of the items) over the exemption. If the total value is over $1000 they (will usually) refer you to Otay Mesa and a broker......

The following is taken directly off of the customs flyer given to airline passengers.

MEXICAN CUSTOMS

PERSONAL LUGGAGE COMPRISE THE FOLLOWING ARTICLES:

Used or new goods for personal use such as clothing, footwear & personal hygiene & beauty items that reasonably respond to the duration of the trip and that due to its quantities may not be used for commercial purposes including:

• a wedding gown and it’s accessories
• two photographic or video cameras & their accessories
• Up to 12 rolls of film or videotapes
o Filmed or developed photographic material
o two mobile phones or pagers
o one typewriter
o one electronic agenda
o one used/new laptop, notebook, omni-book or similar portable computer
o one used/new portable copying machine or printer
o one used/new portable projector including its accessories
o two portable used/new personal sports gear
o one used/new portable radio/CD player or portable digital sound player and a portable DVD player and its accessories, including a set of portable speakers, 5 laser disks, 10 DVDs, 30 CDs or tapes and 5 data storage devices or memory cards
o used/new books or magazines that doe to its quantities may not be used for commercial purposes
o 5 toys that can be normally transported by a person, including collection toys and a video game console
o Arterial pressure and sugar level metering devices as well as medicines for personal use provided that prescription must be submitted for psychotropic drugs
o One set of binoculars and a telescope
o One musical instrument and its accessories
o One used/new tent or one camping equipment including their accessories
o Up to 3 surfing boards or windsurf boards
o Four fishing rods and its accessories
o Baby travel accessories such as strollers & baby walkers
o Used/new baby clothing that due to its quantity may not be used for commercial purposes
o One set of tools provided that they are normally transported by passenger
o Persons over 18 yrs old – maximum of 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to 3 liters of alcoholic beverages and 3 liters of wine
o Handicapped travelers my introduce items for personal use, useful to have a better performance of their activities
o Up to two dogs or cats may be introduced as well as their accessories provided that the corresponding zoosanitary import certificate issued by SAGARPA is presented to the custom officials.

• Exemptions:

o One or more duty free goods which value may be proven with the invoice or sales receipt and do not exceed $300 US dollas or its domestic or foreign equivalent when the entry is by air or maritime transport or $50 when the entry is by land.
o Alcoholic beverages, beer, manufactured tabaccos, cigarettes or automotive fuel may not be introduced withing these exemptions.
o During Easter, Summer and Christmas/New Years holiday periods, Mexican passengers arriving in Mexico by land, other than residents of the border zones, may introduce Duty and tax free goods for up to $300 US dollars or its domestic or foreign equivalent. Starting and finishing dates of these holiday periods may be consulted directly with the customs officials or at the web page: www.aduanas.gov.mx

I realize this topic is 6 years old but some people are talking about bringing thousands of dollars worth of construction materials across the border with no mention of a broker being involved where I've also read anything over $1000 a broker has to be involved I'm confused ???
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:07 AM

We have crossed the Mexicali boarder a number of times with "taxable" goods and have developed the following conclusions:
Their is no set policy that is enforced.
I find they are less likely to even look too closely if it's early in the morning, dark, windy, cold, raining or slow.
Since I put a camper shell on my truck, it also seems they are less likely to even do more than a brief look and see without opening anything.
The exception is building material.
If you have new wood or building materials, you can plan on getting stopped and paying a 16% tax.
If you have receipt they will tax you on that amount.
If you do not, they have always taken my word on the cost.
As of late, they seem to be pretty compulsive on bring in gasoline. They went so far a few weeks ago to turn around my friend and have him exit back to Calexico because he had 4 full 5 gal gas cans. I crossed with 2 5gal cans in the back of my truck under cover of my camper shell and they never looked.
If you do get asked to pay a tax, it has never been stressful or anxious. Pay your tax( once even used my atm card) get your paperwork and drive off.

Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:26 AM

We took building materials across at Mexicali and were charged 16%, just as Bajapedro said. Bought 4 new 5 gallon gas cans and filled them up in the US got to border , was turned around and sent through the secondary inspection to get back in to the US. had to give the gas away at Pep Boys then back to the border.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:04 PM

In my personal opinion, smiling, being personable and speaking Spanish always comes in very handy!

Quote: Originally posted by Loretana  

But in retrospect, I believe the key to the situation has been the fact that my husband and I both speak Spanish, and push a lot of paperwork as we go through. I sure am glad it's a done deal now!
:yes: :dudette:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:29 PM

I second what Udo said, and would add this;

North or south of the border, if I am being questioned by any law enforcement, or inspectors, I remove my sunglasses. Full eye contact improves communication and can smooth thing up.

Answer questions honestly and promptly, but don't volunteer information they haven't asked for. Asking questions is their job, front loading them with answers just adds time to the interview, and may steer them to questions about things you had never thought of.

The main area of interest seems to be within arms reach of the driver, so try to keep it uncluttered, and easy to search.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rbbob  
Wife and I are planning to bring a trailerload of stuff down in a couple months, but I read that Americans are getting taxed heavily now if you bring lots of things into Mexico. Anyone had recent experience with this, and how much tax did you pay ? -thanks much

It depends on what stuff. But, being a "trailerload" - I would say you will pay 15% on "some" items that are new.

The regs are $300 per person tax free if by air, $75 if by land. I've "heard" that it's $300 now for land as well, can't say for sure. Remember, this is per person and on top of "personal items" (see list in another post).

So, "how much" is an easy question - 15% on whatever they will decide to tax. If they don't see anything worth their time - than nothing.

My personal impression based on experience - new stuff without receipts is more likely to be taxed than same stuff with receipts, but wait until they ask for receipts.
A lot of new stuff is more likely to be taxed than "some" new stuff mixed with a lot of old stuff, even if total is the same $1,000-1,500.
I also got an impression that a "carload" (like in "fully loaded", trunk, roof rack and all) - is less likely to be taxed or sent to Otay, than a "cargo trailer load".

You didn't tell what items, what "trailer" (RV, cargo?) and what is your status.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.