Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Alex DePue ... A Review
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 05:24 PM

Here's a chance for everyone to decide for themselves...they appeared in Punta Banda 2-3 months ago (second time to a sell out performance).

Shortly after, Miguel went on to Germany to tour for 6 weeks with a large band.

Reunited now in Nashville where Alex just competed for the Grand Master Fiddler Championship. He is now 12th in the WORLD!!! Congrats Alex.

But the party continues in Baja. The reunion party and concert will be at La Palapa del Jose Restaurant close to their homes. Come hear them play! no admission charge. Dinner menu available or just come for drinks.

Friday, Oct 9, starting at 8pm

Directions: Take the toll road north past Baja Mar and past LaSalina, it's the next exit; La Mision ALISITOS. You will go under the toll road and come out on the main road. Directly ahead is an arch with ALISITOS on it. Go thru it and take a left.

[Edited on 10-5-2009 by bajabound2005]

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 10:47 PM

I saw them in Los Barrilles in April. The wife and I really enjoyed their music and bought a CD. I listen to it regularly and still enjoy it.

To each his own.

If you don't like it don't listen to it. No big deal.

I personally don't care much for Jazz or Classical and especially dont like Rap or Ragay (sp). Just my personal tastes.

I will agree that Alex exudes a bit of ego. But most musician do.

BajaBuzz
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 05:26 AM

Tried to find out more about Alex dePeu but came up with only this:

pepelepew.jpg - 30kB
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 07:55 AM

No that's not him, that is his older brother Pepe ;-)

BajaBuzz
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 08:33 AM

CaboRon. Thank you for making Alex's music available. I went to YouTube for some of his music. Here I was sitting in my recliner, laptop in lap. My poor violin on the floor next to my chair???? As Alex began to play, I swear the violin case next to me began to move around. As the pace picked up, the violin case began to 'dance'. What a sight that was. By the time the video was overwith, smoke was coming out of the case??????
I began to feel guilty, as I had not opened the case for over a year. Last time I had looked in it, I closed the lid most rapidly. Within was a mass of exploded hair. (only violin afficiados can appreciate this) Though just a beginner, with a few lessons, I'm going to get back to my lessons. Thanks to Alex & CaboRon!!!!!!!!! Now a question. Several years ago, there was a father & son guitar duo. They played at Mita's. Is this the father who 'connected' with a lady from Loreto who ended up moving to LaPaz? If so, are they still living in LaPaz? Is he performing anywhere there? Was the ladys name Margaret or something like that? The son ended up staying in Loreto and playing solo at Mita's. But alas, someone said recently that Juan replaced him with another musician??? Who will I find playing at Mita's when we return next month for a visit?????
Thank you thank you thank you Cabo Ron.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 10:06 AM

Hey Phil, taking up the fiddle at your age is admirable. You should be able to know how to hold it properly by the time you're 80 and can join Fasf Eddie and his Slow Learners.
Who knows, you may even get to play at Roger's adobe.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 08:55 PM

This is the hardest thing I've tried to do in years!! Next thing is to get my private pilots license back. I've passed step 1 which was the flight physical. Passed with flying colors (that means no restrictions) Now I will have to pass a couple exams for getting caught up on the Regs. then some time with a flight instructor until he turns me loose. Then I'm looking for a vintage plane called an Ercoupe. a little low wing two seater, side by side. No pedals. Just fly via the wheel & good sense!!!! No I don't see myself flying it down to Baja. I still love that drive too much. Plus Wendy is getting pretty good at keeping out of trouble when she drives.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 06:51 AM

Baja Profile
By Robbie Walker Okamoto

Alex DePue, Fiddler Extraordinaire

"I don't remember a day when I didn't have a violin in my hands!"

Many northern Baja residents know Alex DePue as the violin half of the DePue-De Hoyos musical duo, with Miguel De Hoyos playing the guitar. Although to say either "plays" an instrument is to understate their talent. Individually and together, DePue and De Hoyos blend the violin and guitar to showcase music ranging from serious classical to hard rock. I caught up with Alex while they were on a mini-concert tour in Monterrey, Mexico, and chatted with him about his music, his background and how he ended up in Baja playing with Miguel.

He comes from a musical family. His mother was a concert pianist while his 76-year-old father is a composer and can still, according to Alex, rip a piano apart. The parents settled in Bowling Green, Ohio, a small town about 20 miles south of Toledo, to raise their family. His father started all four of his sons – Wallace, Alex, Jason and Zach - on the violin after noticing that Wallace's motor skills were not as good as his kindergarten classmates. As a result, all four now play professionally.

"I started with classical violin lessons – I guess I was about 5 years old - and I've been performing since I was 7. I also got interested in fiddling about that time, so I guess you could say my music tastes are eclectic."

As he got older, Alex performed in classical venues as well as going on to win the National Fiddling Championship in 1999, a feat he repeated in 2005. He also played with several well-known musicians. In 2000, he became the musical director and a player with country artist Chris Cagle, and regularly appeared on such famous venues as the Grand Ole Opry. In 2007, he joined rocker Steve Vai on a world tour. (When David Lee Roth split with Van Halen, he chose Steve Vai as the guitarist for his band.)

"I guess you could say that Steve Vai is my musical hero. But it was after that tour that I resurrected my relationship with my cousin, Baja Brent. Obviously, Brent moved down to Baja a long time ago! He had somehow or other stumbled upon Miguel De Hoyos playing one night, and decided that the two of us needed to play together.

"Miguel was packing his guitar up after a long night playing in La Mision when Brent pulled me up on stage to introduce us. Miguel was not impressed to hear that I played the violin, and rather reluctantly got out his guitar while I got my fiddle. He asked me what we should play, and I replied, `Anything.' He suggested `Besame Mucho' and asked `What key?' Again, I told him to pick the key he wanted and we'd go with that. Now, to a musician, the words `any key' indicate an authentic musician is present.

"We started playing, and from that instant we knew that this was how it was to be."

The duo has been performing together now for two years. They've released one CD, Underground Whispers, and another, Twisted Strings, is scheduled early next year. (The CD can be purchased at any of their concerts or through their website, www.depuedehoyos.com.) Home base is La Palapa de Jose in La Mision. Upcoming concert dates are November 13 and 21 and December 4, 5, 18, 19.

And what of his brothers? "We're all playing professionally. Wallace is with the Philadelphia Pops, Jason is in the first violin section of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Zach is concertmaster of the Indianapolis symphony. We're coming together for a holiday concert on December 23 in Bowling Green. Join us if you're in the area!"

I ask Alex if there's anything he'd like to say. "I'd like to give a big thank you to our supporters – they know who they are. The more we can promote the music happening at La Palapa, the better able we are to keep our `chops' up. What could be more wonderful than to have a house in Baja and a consistent audience?"

(For more information about Alex DePue and Miguel De Hoyos, please visit their website at www.depuedehoyos.com; For bookings, contact Alex DePue at thefiddler@hotmail.com.)

Robbie Walker Okamoto lives in Baja, and can be reached at robbiesw@hotmail.com.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.